Topic Stats

• 2,379 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 55 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(147 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 LW3 3.0 Chad Code Released! Posted by ChadH (3 years ago)

Post #1536 LW3 Apron Cards Posted by Malenko (2 years ago)

Post #1559 LW3 Lamp Layout Posted by AlexRogan84 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cryptkeeperaus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#886 3 years ago

Hi all, Just joined the LW3 club. She aint' pritty. A non-running, beaten up, busted up, robbed for parts, on the scrap heap, left for dead pin i bought but I am determined to get her running again.

Has anyone had any experience with repairing the uzi bullets? Paint is just starting to lift. I have never clear coated before and hesitant to hit the playfield with novus and risk damaging other areas further. Not sure what the best course of action is.

There are also some fine cracks in some areas.

This isnt a collectors pin (obviously ) but somthing i would like to keep for myself and the kids for years to come.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Steve

20200606_183723 (resized).jpg20200606_183723 (resized).jpg20200606_190636 (resized).jpg20200606_190636 (resized).jpg20200606_190614 (resized).jpg20200606_190614 (resized).jpg20200606_183734 (resized).jpg20200606_183734 (resized).jpg
#889 3 years ago

Chad, in the new update do you think adding a shaker motor to LW3 is possible?

#891 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Q26 [ SOL. DRIVE 13 ] is open... so it is possible.
Just need software space.

Sounds promising! I haven't played LW3 yet, still refurbishing but imagine there would be plenty of explosions and modes that would benifit with a shaker.

#893 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If someone wants to come to my house and install a shaker motor in my LW3... then I will gladly code for it.

Haha sorry i didnt think it through that far. Since i am stuck in Australia the best i could do is chip in some money to help buy one locally. I think it would be a nice addition to the game but i have no idea how difficult the process might be to code.

#897 3 years ago

It was just a thought i can imagine it would be hard to program without a motor in there. The shaking in TFTC is perfect when you trigger multiball.. adds a cool dimension to the game. I am sure a good number of people who are into LW3 would consider it. There would be a few pinball collectors who wouldnt want to mod the cabinet to install a shaker motor. Either way you doing work on the code is awesome and appreciated. Fixing bugs that have been there since the beginning and making the gameplay and sound better.

#903 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Hey, just joined the group last weekend, doing a teardown now..
Does anyone have some teardown pics of the area under the left plastic behind the #1 scoop, where the orbit guide mounts? My orbit guide's mounting holes have broken off, and someone did a number with some wood screws and destroyed everything
[quoted image]
Also, I notice there's a lot of inserts with colored light covers. Anyone have any interesting things they've done with them with colored LEDs, especially on the uzi? Mine is all red and it looks a bit weird to me...
Does anyone sell the commonly broken plastics? I need the one above the #1 scoop, and above the center drops, which I assume is pretty standard...

Does that help?

20200606_172841 (resized).jpg20200606_172841 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200617-091151_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200617-091151_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200617-091211_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200617-091211_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#926 3 years ago

Does anyone know much about the power supply to the topper? It has a 1amp slow blow fuse. I have come across a code3 rotator light with leds drawing around 1.6 to 2amps. Wondering what sort of load DE can handle on the 12v supply. Thanks for any info. Steve.

#933 3 years ago

Hi all, does anyone know what the supply voltage is to the original topper. Looks like 18v? Maybe 32v? It has a 1 amp slo blow in the circuit. Appreciate the help. Would test with a multimeter myself but still weeks away from getting the mpu installed. I have a nice 12v setup ready but think it may draw too many amps.

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

+18VDC[quoted image]

Thankyou.

If you are able to tell me, i am trying to figure out if it is better to use an 18v relay to trigger the 12v topper on a seperate PS or step down the 18v to 12v. It will probably be drawing about 2amps.

#940 3 years ago

Thankyou for the advice and replies. I am looking to run a code3 mini lightbar. Its 12v and drawing up to 1.6amps with both rotator motors and front led flashers running. Waiting to install two H1 LEDs for the rotators and test again. Expecting it to draw about 3amp. I was going to use the spare service outlet to run a dedicated 12v supply and let the 18v line run a relay for activating the rotor. If the 18v is closer to 20 i am less concerned about running a 24v relay.

20200710_081055 (resized).jpg20200710_081055 (resized).jpg20200710_081107 (resized).jpg20200710_081107 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1033 3 years ago

Finally got the topper done. Ended up using a bridge rectifier and 12v relay.

20200908_144019 (resized).jpg20200908_144019 (resized).jpg20200908_144020 (resized).jpg20200908_144020 (resized).jpg20200803_155544 (resized).jpg20200803_155544 (resized).jpg
#1037 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Looks awesome! Where'd you get the mirror blades?

Thanks. Mirror blades were sourced locally. Generic data east blades will fit.

3 months later
#1112 3 years ago

Hi all, If anyone has a copy of apron cards they could email it would be appreciated. I finished the refurb but doesn't look finished without them! Cheers. Steve.

#1114 3 years ago

Thanks Alex that helps. Now just hunting for any artwork for the other side.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Oh my god that would be the best theme ever! LW trilogy was great and all but first Die Hard alone deserves it's own dedicated pin imo. This would be the perfect table for a retheme

Only if EVERY orbit shot was met with a "Yippee Ki Yay" or "welcome to the party pal"

1 month later
#1156 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

No programming for function.. yet

I asked Chad if it was possible to add but he didn't have a shaker handy during the new code rewrite and didn't think there was a big demand for it. Personally i would put one in. Still possible to add one that's triggered by switches but it gets pricey and a bit limited.

#1161 3 years ago

Impossibly hard to guess how costly or simple a problem might be to fix until it can be diagnosed first hand. If you really want a LW3, willing to spend to fix it and the price is good then buy it.. sounds like it might already be going cheap!

#1163 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

No battery leakage would be a great sign.
No boot could simply be a dirty 12 pin connector at the power supply board (common) or a half dozen other things.
If everything looks solid pay the man and hoof it out the door. My quickest pin buy was pretty much walked up to machine, looked at playfield, walked around it once and tossed my cash on the table and headed to the door. Guys like "you want to plug it in" and I'm already getting ready to load.
NOPE.

Your doing better than me!! Last two pins have been bought by looking at a few pics and getting it shipped.. not that many in in Australia.. half the fun for me is getting it running again..

#1167 3 years ago

All depends on the condition. I paid $1200 USD for mine non working because it had a good playfield and turned it into this by spending... alot... it's all relative

Screenshot_20210130-003822_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210130-003822_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1279 3 years ago

Thankyou for this.. sorry I only just saw it! I ended up getting it working the way I needed.

Cheers

2 weeks later
#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from Blamer:

hey, joined the lw3's owners club some days ago and I'm loving my newcomer.
I bought it from a man who used to repair pinballs for a living and this was his own pin so... not much work to do on it (nothing, really) apart from cleaning it.
the only thing is the gun, is the original one and is very worn out by use. my doubt is if I keep it original or if I repaint it

I chromed mine since it gets so much use. Can get the replacement spring from Marcos.

Screenshot_20210501-121022_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210501-121022_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210501-121219_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210501-121219_Gallery (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1334 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Agreed, that's why I'm looking for an original, the one that is with it is the repro and while better than nothing.....let's just leave it there.

I got an awesome repro from Arcadeoverlays. Not sure if there still doing these but the translite quality was perfect and great colors. Was a bit of a pain to buy as they originally wouldn't ship to Australia but managed to order to it via Florida.

Old translite in far away pic. New translite in close-ups.

20210629_120714 (resized).jpg20210629_120714 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200919-122949_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200919-122949_Gallery (resized).jpg20210629_120647 (resized).jpg20210629_120647 (resized).jpg
#1339 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

That looks really good.
Out of curiosity, how do they ship this kind of thing?
I get a little confused with the terms backglass and translite and what thickness these are and whether it's the thin thing that could be rolled into a tube (like a poster or art print might be) or whether it's the thick one that would have to be shipped in a large square box?
When the seller says it is 3 mm thick, does that mean this is the one you use directly in the backbox by putting the four plastic trim pieces along the sides? Or is this the one that you put behind a clear sheet of glass (or plexiglass) and then hold it in place to that glass using the four plastic trim pieces?
I would like to get a replacement for my LW3 and my current one is the kind where the image is put right on the glass itself. So I couldn't reuse it. I could take the plastic trim pieces off and reuse them, but not the glass part.

Arcade overlays shipped that translite flat between cardboard. I have also received a translite rolled in a postage tube. Both came through fine but in my opinion the tube felt like a safer option to avoid damage in the post.

#1341 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Alright fellow LethalWeaponites, my basket case LW3 is coming along, however I've run across a piece of plastic in the box of parts that I cannot figure out where it goes...looks homemade.
Any help would be appreciated!![quoted image]

Looks like inside the building.

20210630_100728 (resized).jpg20210630_100728 (resized).jpg20210630_100759 (resized).jpg20210630_100759 (resized).jpg
#1345 2 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

Who does the best quality cabinet decals for Lethal Weapon 3? I brought a set last year that were awful. The colours were miles off and the image quality was poor. Would only want to do the decals if I can find one's that are really high quality with the right colours especially the blue.
[quoted image]

If it helps on the artwork side of things I have put up a photo of the Retrorefurbs black lethal weapon. Just like repro plastic sets the artwork is a little off from the screen printed original but this seems seems be standard across all decals I have seen and once the whole cabinet is done you will not notice it. I can understand color matching the blue is not going to be easy. I had this problem on a Tales from the crypt and part of the reason I went black for the Lethal refurb.

In regards to quality I can only compare Retro-refurbs with pinball.centre out of Germany. I was happy with the artwork provided by both. Twister detailing was very good and the colors vibrant. Same can be said for retro refurbs. The only difference was in the thickness of the decal itself. Retro refurbs was thicker and felt more expensive but I have noticed some minor shrinking. Maybe 1.5mm around the edges after about 6 months. Having said that the thinner material provided by pinball centre looks great, very smooth (as long as you do all the required prep) and hasn't shrunk at all. Potentially retrorefurbs will take more punishment in the long run.

Hopefully this helps.

Quoted from Andypc:

Who does the best quality cabinet decals for Lethal Weapon 3? I brought a set last year that were awful. The colours were miles off and the image quality was poor. Would only want to do the decals if I can find one's that are really high quality with the right colours especially the blue.
[quoted image]

20210705_200338 (resized).jpg20210705_200338 (resized).jpg20210705_200243 (resized).jpg20210705_200243 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1352 2 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

Hey guys, recently purchased this title and just one thing left to fix (for now).
The siren topper lights up but doesn’t spin. Anyone know how to fix that?
Thanks

If it's an original part it's worth keeping even if it doesn't work. The original reflector arrangement is hard to find these days. The blue dome even harder. Seemed to be the first thing to break.

#1364 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

Good morning
I’m in the process of refurbishing my new to me LW3 (first real pin) My shooter coil has a plastic striker that strikes the ball sending it into play. Presently there is nothing protecting the plastic striker. However my rubber kit came with a shooter tip. If I press it on the plastic coil insert there will be some interference with the retraction of the plunger rod.
Do you guys have a shooter tip installed? If someone could post a picture I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks

Welcome to the club!

There is no protective tip for the "striker". It is a coil arrangement and not a traditional spring loaded rod you might be thinking of.

As you are new to pinball it is always a great idea to download the manual. It's free. There are a lot of drawings and parts lists in there to help you understand what might be missing from your playfield and the basics of how they work.

3 months later
#1514 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Here is today’s project….start reassembling stuff.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good I did the same with a chromed gun and found a mode3 light bar for a topper. Black looks great for this game in my opinion and saves the headache of colormatching!

#1520 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

Mine is coming along. I have taken this opportunity to learn how to powder coat. I figured I could set up a powder coating operation for about the same price as hiring it out. And afterwards I can do my other pins for “free”! My wife was kind and helped me with the vinyl wrap today. [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice color matching between the cabinet and the decal looks good.

#1532 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

Thanks. I used the color code a member posted earlier in the thread. It matched the old paint almost exactly. The decals are a little darker but I don’t think it’ll be enough to bother me. I got the decals off EBay. They are very thick vinyl. Thickest I have ever worked with. Reminds me of a swimming pool liner! I had to modify my install method to accommodate them. I cut a 4” strip of the backing paper off along the top, dry stuck that border and then peeled backing paper from remainder and applied with water/detergent agent. Otherwise the decal just slid around too much.
The border visible in the top photo is not paint/vinyl. It is vinyl/vinyl. Back box decals were too short so I spliced in a couple of inches of cutoff from the sides. Don’t tell anyone

Nice looking job you did there It could be Retro Refurbs vinyl. I did mine in black, the decal was super thick. Potentially look out for some "shrink" in the first few months. Might not happen to you but it happened to me. I applied without detergent and may have been too tensioned.

#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

hey guys,
i need to pull, ideally, 5v from somewhere in the head box. any help? if not 5v, 12v will work also, will just need a voltage converter.
Cheers

Are you talking AC or DC?

#1534 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone has an electric copy of some apron cards for LW3? Cheers..

#1537 2 years ago

Thankyou for that. Appreciate it.

4 months later
#1782 2 years ago

Code3 running of a 12v relay

1 week later
#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Got my LW3 in last week. Some work on the cabinet but playfield and all the rest are fine.
Have however an issue with the alternative dual color police beacon lamp.
The unit is 12V and connected with 3 cables to a car charger which was connected in a strange amateur way with tape (removed on pic) to the grey and brown/blue cable from the pin.
Wonder if I can cut off the carplug and connect 2 cables directly to the ones from the pin. Which one is 12V and which is ground ?
And which 2 out of the 3 coming from the light should I connect ? black (guess GND) and orange...?
How can i found out which one without blowing up stuff ?
No idea on brand or model number...
info : The bottom of the car charger has a Fuse
any advice is welcome.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

In general, if your new to electronics/circuits, my advice is to be very careful tinkering around in the back box of a pinball, especially near the power supply if you have no idea what's potentially carrying a lethal voltage.

Without seeing the wiring of that light it's hard to say, most likely the yellow and orange are both 12v+ and black is the common ground. Is it rotating beacons? One may be to power the motor and the other for the lights.

A soldering iron, 18awg wire and heat shrink would have it looking neater than adding sockets and leaving the existing cords.

I can't recall offhand if the LW topper was originally an AC or DC motor/supply?

#1789 2 years ago

The 12v male plug you have in your machine is just used to allow a postive and negative connection. I doubt it has any special circuit inside. Just open it up away from the machine. Most likely you have 2 x + lines and 1 common ground. If that's the case you can just run new wires from the molex connector you pictured earlier and do away with the pigs tail cord and plug.

Screenshot_20220416-215821_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220416-215821_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#1792 2 years ago

Ok I'm out.. I tried!

1 week later
#1820 1 year ago
Quoted from keeganhayes:

Anyone able to take a pic of their gun assembly? Just got my back from powder coating and feel like it’s not going together quite right. Trigger feels loose. (Replaced the spring with NOS).

Hope this helps.

The trigger can be a bit wobbly.. mine is before and after chrome job with a new spring.

20200608_105323 (resized).jpg20200608_105323 (resized).jpg20200608_105326 (resized).jpg20200608_105326 (resized).jpg20200903_162105 (resized).jpg20200903_162105 (resized).jpg
#1834 1 year ago

Hi all,

If possible I would appreciate an under playfield pic of the centre and right side drop bank targets coil to make sure i have the right orientation. For some reason my 3 banks won't reset 90% of the time. Feels like somthing is amiss. I have completely rebuilt both. Very little slack and zero wear on the pivot. Can't figure it out.

#1836 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Do any of these help?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very helpfull thanks! I'll check tomorrow but I think my coils are upside down...

#1838 1 year ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

One issue I had was a small spacer washer missing for the operating rod between the carriage and the frame, might be worth a look.

Cheers. Are those the washers that also help determine the final drop height?

#1841 1 year ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

No, they're listed as #7 in the manual on page 40 but not shown. They go between what's listed as #18 Pivot shaft and #15 Target lift bracket. Mine was missing 1 side and was binding off and on.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go. I do know that 2 washers are used behind the retaining bracket and they adjust the final dropped position.

Screenshot_20220508-051048_Acrobat for Samsung (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220508-051048_Acrobat for Samsung (resized).jpg
#1853 1 year ago

I have noticed on a few of Data East's, they have pre drilled an indication mark for the outlane posts but it appears they were never installed. My JP, Simpsons, TFTC have these indication marks). Maybe it was up to the owner/operator if they wanted them installed or not? More drains may mean more plays back when these were made to make money.

#1866 1 year ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

No, they're listed as #7 in the manual on page 40 but not shown. They go between what's listed as #18 Pivot shaft and #15 Target lift bracket. Mine was missing 1 side and was binding off and on.

Bang on with the advice. Cheers!

#1877 1 year ago

I remember the response to Chad's code when it first came out was very polarised. People either loved it with the scoring improved and bugs gone or didn't as they felt some of the changes took away the speed, craziness and randomness of the game.. Personally , I havnt played the new code yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,800 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cryptkeeperaus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one?tu=cryptkeeperaus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.