Topic Stats

• 2,380 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by HE-MAN44
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 55 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(147 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 LW3 3.0 Chad Code Released! Posted by ChadH (3 years ago)

Post #1536 LW3 Apron Cards Posted by Malenko (2 years ago)

Post #1559 LW3 Lamp Layout Posted by AlexRogan84 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexrogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#968 3 years ago

First post... first pin. Got an LW3 about two weeks ago. It's in good shape and just sorting out a few little things on it.

I'm new to owning these, just not new to playing. Was hanging out in poolhalls and arcades right in that early 90's sweet spot of Williams titles like The Getaway, Funhouse and Diner. I never played LW3 back in the day, but wanted to get started on the owning hobby so here we are!

IMG_1671 (resized).JPGIMG_1671 (resized).JPG
3 months later
#1093 3 years ago

Can anyone help me understand if I'm doing something wrong using Adjustment 35? I am trying to turn off the flash lamps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adjustment-35-is-supposed-to-turn-flash-lamps-off

#1095 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Just tried in on mine, and they turned off fine. I have LED flashers and Chad's code 3.00. Rottendog MPU board.
hope this helps!

Glad to hear that works for you. I wonder if this was a feature that didn't work on earlier ROM sets and then got sorted out later on with one of the more recent ones? I think my code is still the original from 1992. I do have a couple of Rottendog boards in the game though, including the big MPU one.

#1099 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Just tried in on mine, and they turned off fine. I have LED flashers and Chad's code 3.00. Rottendog MPU board.
hope this helps!

Hey, back to this flasher on/off feature business... I have tried again to change this adjustment and the flashers are still going strong. Any chance you might be able to do a couple quick gameplay videos for me of your machine? One with the flashers off and another with them on? The flashers are most noticeable when I play when multiball is lit. Not just after you get it into saucer 2 and start multiball, but the little build-up to it when you're trying to get the ball into saucer 2. The flashers flash with the music and it seems well timed to blind you a little just as you go to shoot the ball into saucer 2.

Would love to see some comparison vids of how this looks on other machines. I'll try and get my own video of this same part of the game and post it here.

...oh, and would my machine being programmed for "multiball" and not "triball" have anything to do with it? I don't know why or where you would select it to say multiball instead of triball. Mine has never said anything other than multiball. My serial number sticker says the game was originally for South America, so maybe that got something changed in the way the game was put together or programmed? Identical like snowflakes these machines are.

#1103 3 years ago

Here is a little gameplay video I took a while back. I've done a bunch of work on the game since this was taken, but not to the code or flashers. Mostly just flippers, plastics, slingshots, etc. This is what I mean about the flashers being blinding. They pulse on and off wicked bright and distracting and I'd love to get them turned off. Or dialed down somehow. Or maybe just unplugged?

I also found these two pictures showing the code I am running. One shows the display message and the other the CPU. Both indicate 1992. Does that help figure anything out?

IMG_1675 (resized).JPGIMG_1675 (resized).JPGIMG_1676 (resized).JPGIMG_1676 (resized).JPG
#1106 3 years ago

Ok, so I think it's more than just my flasher bulbs. I took the backglass off and then removed the nine flasher bulbs from the backbox. Figured I would start a game and see what kind of difference that made. Here's another video of the backbox lighting in action. Strobe action and you can see why this feels blinding. It is all the backbox lights coming on and off in rhythm to the music. And especially distracting when mutliball is lit (which it does on my machine when ball 3 starts if you haven't already had multiball).

Does this still seem like the game is acting normally? Do all the games do this with the full compliment of backbox lights strobing on and off like they are in the vid?

#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Data East are well known for the GI flashing on and off like crazy, I vote normal.
You could do what I do which is strategically remove some of the lamps if using LED and/or replace the bulbs with Comet "retro" bulbs which have less brightness than 1SM or 2SM 5050 bulbs.
I run warm white frosted dome 5050 or the warm white retro bulbs in the backglass and not shy about leaving a few out. LED's throw out a lot of light!

Quoted from cabuford:

If that's what's bothering you, you need to find an enerGI Maestro GI smoother. I have one in my LW3 and Data East Star Wars. You can add fade times and control brightness levels to the GI. I'm not sure if the guy is making them anymore though.

Quoted from ChadH:

Version 3.01 reduces the amount of GI flashing. Update your game with this new version and enjoy.
https://www.pinballcode.com/

Thanks for the help. Funny how certain game makers were known for certain things. DE def has the rep for lots of flashing lights.

I did go ahead and pull out a bunch of the GI lights in the backbox and it made a difference. Will likely pull out a handful from the playfield too. Plus consider those other options you mentioned. I still like the game and how it plays. Just need to get the lighting balanced out in a way that suits me.

#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

Hi all, If anyone has a copy of apron cards they could email it would be appreciated. I finished the refurb but doesn't look finished without them! Cheers. Steve.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1433/Data_East_1992_Lethal_Weapon_3_Instruction_Card.pdf

#1116 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Having a lot of fun with this game, playfield reminds me of Dirty Harry with the building and the orbits and the gun. The topper is pretty fun to see going off in multiball while playing in the dark.

Someone just pointed out to me the other day how the LW3 playfield is basically the exact same layout as Terminator 2. I said to him "nah, how can that be? They weren't made by the same company?" He kept saying it's true and I for sure thought he was talking about a different game and got them mixed up. But he was right. Look at what shots you have on those two games and you'll see it. Imagine the Terminator skull and toys removed and it becomes pretty obvious. Hey, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

2 weeks later
#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from l_1nconnu:

I am happy you guys had a look. It kinda makes sense now. I assumed the display was working fine during gameplay which it is not the case. I’m gonna have to purchase a Color DMD or a Pin 2DMD. Any supplier from Canada or do I need to import from the states?
Thanks for your inputs.

A Toronto pinball owner swapped out a few original DMD's on his machines with the PIN2DMD ones... and he was selling the originals for $100 each. I bought one from him for my Lethal Weapon oddly enough as my top row of the display wasn't working. If he still has any of them left, that could be another option for you. I know he has decent access to shipping things around the major cities. I would bet Ottawa is one of them.

3 weeks later
#1164 3 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Welcome! It's a fun game!
My first of 4. [quoted image]

Same here! Had never played it or really even heard of it back in the day when any of these were new. Learned on it as an owner and I gotta say, I like it. Fun modes and gimmicks and animations with tricky but not impossible shots and things to progress through. I'm sure if this wasn't the covid-era and I could have people over to play it, they'd enjoy it too!!!

IMG_2843 (resized).JPGIMG_2843 (resized).JPG
#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Nice line up! A fellow Canadian that knows the struggle of pinflation north of the US border!!!
My kids messing last night.
[quoted image]

Nice line-up there too!

Oh man, high prices North of the border is right! Covid influenced or whatever it is, you might as well double whatever these numbers are they're talking in USD by the time it's the same thing in CAD. This LW3 you're talking about here with the cabinet damage and no boot up would be $3,000+ easy in CAD. Good ones with everything sorted out and working well are minimum $4,000.

#1181 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Alexrogan84 does not lie. Its true.
Yah my games were off until the kids ambushed them.
Malenko is right too, this stuff is not too difficult to get going, very servicable and parts are very affordable.

It's like aspiring to live in a million dollar home... in Toronto. Oh, so you live in a 500 sq ft sh!t hole then?

Our health care is free, but holy fack is everything else expensive!!

1 week later
#1215 3 years ago
Quoted from Nelsonford218:

So I've been working on this lethal weapon 3. I ordered a flipper rebuild kit from pinball life and the new plunger is an 1/8 inch longer than the ones in it now, making the range of motion shorter. Can anyone confirm if the range of motion on the flipper is correct? Left flipper is rebuilt, right flipper is with the parts that were in it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have a look at the grommet that should be in that flipper assembly and it is what the "elbow" if you will, rests up against. This will dictate the rest position of the flipper and then that will then dictate how far the flipper travels. I would want both flippers to be "even" more so than "correct".

Did you replace with new the coil stop in those flipper coils? You should see the end of the plunger bang into the coil stop before the plastic joint piece bangs into the lug end of the coil.

Post some pictures of underneath as it'll be easier to explain that way.

#1222 3 years ago
Quoted from Nelsonford218:

I see the grommet, but my issue is it seems like the flippers dont have much travel. They are adjust above the dots and they still dont flip up much. I just feel like they should have more range of motion and flip up higher

Please post some photos of what your flipper assemblies look like from underneath.

#1226 3 years ago
Quoted from Eld0rad0:

Hi Guys. Just after a bit of advice if possible...
My LW3 got reset to factory settings yesterday, after I swapped the batteries for an NVRAM module. All fine, except for an annoying change that I can’t find mentioned anywhere in the manual.
Before the reset, the first 3 ramp shots lit extra ball, which I think is normal. Now after reset, the first 3 ramp shots give 3 million, then the next 2 ramp shots lite extra ball.
Does anyone know what adjustment might be causing this? Is it some kind of difficulty setting? It’s not a bit problem, but when you’re used to something, it’s a bit disconcerting!
Thanks

As far as I know, there's not an exact setting for this. It is related to how well you're playing and have earned those extra balls. Get the extra ball more often and eventually it offers it to you less often. There are various settings for replays, extra balls and the like and it seems to come out of a combination of those. I've never figured out which one directly controls the ramp extra ball award. Mine had always given it out on the 3rd shot, then sometimes it went to the 7th and then the other day it came on the 17th. It seems to also change more depending on whether you're running Free Play or not.

#1227 3 years ago

The LW3 pop bumpers use coil AE-23-800 with the diode. I just noticed one of my three pop bumpers has a 23-700 coil with unknown condition/rating of diode. I was replacing the skirt on this one because it had a chip in it and that's when I noticed. This pop bumper never seemed to work very well and I thought it might have been the alignment of the skirt and how it was engaging the leaf switch underneath. I think it is more about this coil being the wrong one now. I could get it to pop occasionally when the ball hit it, but never repeatedly. The coil sleeve in it wasn't perfect looking, but didn't look too bad and slid in and out reasonably well. I'll replace this coil with the proper one, I just don't have one on hand right now, not until I put another parts order in.

How would you expect a 23-700 coil to behave in these pop bumpers when it was supposed to be a 23-800? The 700 coil is a little underpowered compared to the 800? Or is there more to it than just that?

#1231 3 years ago

Looks good in colour!!

#1234 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

That mine or the other one? And are you using chad's new code?

Hey dude, yes, this is yours. "Colorization by Malenko" comes up during attract mode. This is the 1.60 version I downloaded from the PinUniverse site. I saw mention of the 1.75 version, but couldn't find it anywhere. I think that one is still a work in progress, right?

I don't have the Chad code on my game. As far as I can tell, it is version 2.08. A few of the boards in my game got switched out to Rottendog ones and I think this would have been about the time updated ROM's got put in.

Is this 1.60 version the best one for me to be using with what I have? I noticed on a couple of the attract mode animations that the timing gets a little odd like when it is scrolling through the instructions screens. Like "shoot LW1, 2, 3" or "pull the trigger to shoot bad guys" or "use the flipper buttons if you get in a fight". I can try and take a video of what it is doing if you'd like?

1 week later
#1245 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

So I'm trying to get to that 6.5/7 degree angle and the levelers on the back legs are way out to just get it to 6. It makes the game feel wobbly. My buddies de tmntis the same way. Is this correct? Just seems odd.

I agree this seems odd, yet mine is pretty much the same. I don't feel like it's wobbly, but the rear levellers are almost entirely out and the fronts are pretty much entirely in... and still it seems to only get it to 6 degrees or a little bit more.

I'm interested in what other LW3 owners have to say here too.

#1248 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Just seems like it's too far out. My Stern's are definitely not that far out to get to 6.5 degree

It could be related to some kind of manufacturing issue where the holes and brackets inset in the cabinet weren't always put at the same height.

Until I got my Stern World Poker Tour, I hadn't realized how much different the hole location on the rear of the cabinet is compared to the front. And it was because in the WPT manual, it specifically says to start by having all four leg levellers in all the way and that should give you the right 6.5 angle right off the bat. When you know the legs are all the same length, you see how they did this by having the top of the rear legs mount lower down than the front.

I think you're right about it being a Data East thing and it's not as dramatic on Williams or Bally of the same era.

1 week later
#1252 3 years ago

Question about my LW3 but it probably applies to other DE games of the same design...

My sound is good and is fun to play when cranked. The main adjustment is still that stem mounted on top of the power supply box. It goes into a potentiometer if I’m not mistaken. On my game the amount of turning from quiet to loud is really small. Like there’s hardly any room to adjust at all. And some of those in between adjustments when you turn the stem get crackly.

Is this normal? Or is this a common problem with a common solution? It would be nice to fine tune the volume a little bit better.

1 week later
#1259 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Time for new pot.

Giddyup... that's legal here.

#1260 3 years ago
1 month later
#1286 3 years ago

Does anyone have a rubber ring on their right outlane post? The majority of balls when I play go down the right outlane versus the left or middle. I find if it gets over to that right post without much energy, it has nothing to bounce off and just dies and drains. I thought a small ring on that post might give you something to work with for nudging. Anyone do that or have a ring on that post?

#1288 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Mine didn't come with it, not sure if that was stock, but I did add one. Gives me something to nudge off of.

Any chance you gotta pic? Or know what size you used?

I think doing this in combination with where that adjustable outlane post is to the right of the post we're talking about would give a player the chance to bump the ball out of there.

1 week later
#1294 2 years ago
Quoted from Eurovision:

My lower GI isn't working but was working before. Does anyone know what fuse to check for lower GI? Thanks

GI is fused on F1, F2, F3, F4 on the PPB board. Sorry, not sure which of the four is for the lower GI.

#1297 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Just brought one of these and the dmd isn't working (wasn't when I showed up either). How do I determine if it's the dmd itself or something else? Everything else seems to function okay on this. I have 4.73V on the power plug for the controller board.
[quoted image]

I would take the backglass out and lower the speaker/DMD panel down so you can see behind it. Might just be that one of the connectors isn't connected anymore. Post pics if you're not sure what you're seeing.

Mine looks like this back there...

IMG_3065 (resized).JPGIMG_3065 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1319 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Got my pin2dmd today and I'm super confused. How do any of these cables go with this?!
[quoted image]
I'm assuming the two plugs on the far left are unneeded as power is supplied differently but the ribbon cable has me really confused.

Do you have a similarly looking circuit board that came off the back of your original DMD? You will need to reuse it. The PIN2DMD still needs whatever it is that that board does. Yes the connections are slightly different and it gets powered differently. I got my display supplier guy to make me up a special little harness for that power wiring that lets you connect to the big connector up on the leftside of the backbox circuit boards while still plugging in the original connector on top of it. Then that power plug comes down and feeds into the circuit board you put back on the new display. I believe my ribbon cable went into the new display just like it did on the old one. It was really just the power wiring that changes.

Looking at your photo, that wider ribbon cable is for something else.

IMG_3065 (resized).JPGIMG_3065 (resized).JPGIMG_3067 (resized).JPGIMG_3067 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#1337 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Appreciate it, I was able to find one from another LW3 owner who had a NOS spare one.

I got an awesome repro from Arcadeoverlays. Not sure if there still doing these but the translite quality was perfect and great colors. Was a bit of a pain to buy as they originally wouldn't ship to Australia but managed to order to it via Florida.
Old translite in far away pic. New translite in close-ups.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really good.

Out of curiosity, how do they ship this kind of thing?

I get a little confused with the terms backglass and translite and what thickness these are and whether it's the thin thing that could be rolled into a tube (like a poster or art print might be) or whether it's the thick one that would have to be shipped in a large square box?

When the seller says it is 3 mm thick, does that mean this is the one you use directly in the backbox by putting the four plastic trim pieces along the sides? Or is this the one that you put behind a clear sheet of glass (or plexiglass) and then hold it in place to that glass using the four plastic trim pieces?

I would like to get a replacement for my LW3 and my current one is the kind where the image is put right on the glass itself. So I couldn't reuse it. I could take the plastic trim pieces off and reuse them, but not the glass part.

1 month later
#1354 2 years ago
Quoted from Iceman:

Hi everyone. I think I'm missing a piece in my game. Everytime the ball rolls in the #1 shot it gets stuck. Please let me know what goes here. Thanks
[quoted image]

You are missing the ball deflector. The manual calls it out as part number 535-6017-00 and with a quantity of 2, so if you want a comparison, you should also have the same one at the back of your #3 saucer.

They get mounted under those screw heads your ball is nestled up to.

I don't see this Lethal Weapon one specifically, but another about the same shape and size would work fine.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=ball+deflector

#1355 2 years ago

Here are a couple pics of the one in the #3 saucer. I don't seem to have any pictures of my #1 saucer handy.

IMG_1866 (resized).JPGIMG_1866 (resized).JPGIMG_1867 (resized).JPGIMG_1867 (resized).JPGIMG_1868 (resized).JPGIMG_1868 (resized).JPGIMG_1869 (resized).JPGIMG_1869 (resized).JPG
#1357 2 years ago
Quoted from Iceman:

Thanks for the reply and pics.

Just noticed your DeLorean avatar… you have one of those too? You on DMCTalk?

#1366 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Has anyone put in a pin2dmd in their machine? If so how do you like it? Issues? I'd love to add some color to mine for sure.

I have a PIN2DMD in my LW3 and am very happy with it. The playfield and game itself has a lot of vibrant colours and the red, white, and blues are pretty dominant. The colouring Malenko did I think works really well with everything.

I don't run the Chad code so I'm not familiar with what these quirks are.

Quoted from bushav:

Thanks for info. It didn’t look like the rubber tip would attach but since it came in the game specific rubber kit I was curious....

I have purchased rubber ring kits for all five of my games from a few different suppliers and my general impression is that what is included or not included in the kits is all over the place. I got thinking I would take the time to photograph my own games with plastics removed and other similar shots showing where things go and then list all of those rings to say exactly what they come with.

For whatever reason, all the original manuals didn't list every last rubber ring used in the game. Many of the tiny rings used on the little posts to keep the ball from getting stuck places aren't listed (on the Getaway for example). And on a game like Funhouse, you can adjust a post or two to make the outlane gaps bigger or smaller and this will actually change which size of rubber ring you use. Then on a game like World Poker Tour with the upper playfield, the sides are created by rubber rings stretched over posts and depending on which size you use and how tight you make them, you can dramatically change how "bouncy" and random that whole upper playfield is.

For now I kind of just accumulate rings of different sizes and use them when I need them.

#1371 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Can someone tell me when the knocker is supposed to sound on this game? Does it do it for extra ball or match score? My knocker doesn't see to be sounding at all and I don't see a setting to turn it off anywhere in settings

Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I don't recall mine knocking. Is the knocker just the gun/plunger solenoid in this game?

You should hear it go whenever you earn a replay, special or match. I don't believe there is an adjustments setting to turn it on or off. You can change the replay prize to extra ball, and then that will often set-off the knocker when you get there.

The knocker itself is located on the cabinet floor just to the left of the big speaker. It bangs back against the small divider piece of wood behind the coin tray. Maybe one of the coil wires came off? You can try it in test mode under all coils test.

IMG_1921 (resized).JPGIMG_1921 (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#1399 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Can anyone confirm the wire colors on CN8 of the power driver board - the IPDB picture is so bad I cannot read the colors.
I think pin 8 is white / green and pin 6 is white / brown.
I want to do this right so I could use some help.
[quoted image]

Does this help? Zoom in at the top of the photo. It's the clearest photo of the wire colours I have (which they are all green wires with different striping on my game, no white wires connected there).

IMG_1643 (resized).JPGIMG_1643 (resized).JPG
#1406 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Is there a way to adjust the left saucer to avoid those constant drains? I catch it with the tip of the left flipper but most casual players at the arcade get SDTM.
Also noticed a strange coincidence. My kickback works every time EXCEPT when I’m playing an extra ball, then it won’t activate. Happened 3 times now. Works before and after the extra ball but will not kicksave the extra ball.
Curious if the ramp is supposed to be backhandable? My flippers seem extremely strong, and they’ve already broken 3 drop targets, yet the ramp requires a PERFECT shot or it won’t go. Just checking if this is by design or maybe something’s wacky in the flippers.

Depends how laid back your flippers are at rest. Check under the tips of them to see where you are relative to the alignment dots. If you want to do backhands (on any game, not just LW3), adjust the flippers so they are a little more turned up at rest and you'll hit backhand shots easier. You'll tend to change how well you can hit other shots from that flipper though so it's a trade-off.

#1410 2 years ago

Anyone got a video clip showing this #1 saucer ejecting it SDTM? Mine doesn’t do that. Maybe there’s a subtle variation on alignment or coil strength or something that could be adjusted instead of needing the ball save feature?

#1412 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Could try tweaking the eject arm one direction or another.

Haha, I won't be... but the guys losing the ball right down the middle might want to! I'd like to see how this is though. Mine comes down in a way where you need to be careful on how you play it, but it always gives you the chance to play it. Never comes out and completely avoids the flipper. Games doing that sound like they have something out of adjustment on or under the playfield.

4 weeks later
#1470 2 years ago
Quoted from JustJared:

Thank you all for the input on the beacon.
My next issue. I'm rebuilding the flippers and for the life of me I can't get my right flipper to tighten down. I've taken the actuator, squeezed it down to the point where I have to pry it open a but with a screwdriver just to get the shift of the flipper back in. I get to a point of tightening where I can't go any more and it's not tight enough. Any Help/thoughts?
Also, I don't understand the plastic red actuator cap that comes with the rebuild kit. I assume that is an insulator for games with an EOS?

You could try and score the end of the flipper shaft where it is being grabbed by the assembly if it's too slick. Like something to provide a little friction for it to grab onto.

Take a picture or two of your assembly and post here. Maybe something isn't right that you don't realize. Mine looks like this.

IMG_3063 (resized).JPGIMG_3063 (resized).JPGIMG_3064 (resized).JPGIMG_3064 (resized).JPG
#1476 2 years ago
Quoted from JustJared:

And yes the clamp is new,
Looks like both versions of mine have a spring attaching to the bottom of the coil
[quoted image][quoted image]

The attached addendum to the manual explains the change in flipper return spring brackets.

LW3 Manual Addendum.PDFLW3 Manual Addendum.PDF
2 weeks later
#1491 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Anyone able to help me here? Still looking for this plastic....

I have these available. I bought the whole plastics set even though I didn't really need to (many of my originals were still fine, like these, but I replaced them with new anyway).

Let me know your Zip code and I'll try and get an idea of what it would cost to send them to you. I was thinking just a simple bubble mailer envelope and regular mail.

How much would you say is reasonable for both of these two plastics (not including the shipping)?

IMG-5553 (resized).jpgIMG-5553 (resized).jpgIMG-5554 (resized).jpgIMG-5554 (resized).jpg
#1496 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I sent ya a Pinside email ….

Cat plastic piece...

Cat plastic (resized).jpgCat plastic (resized).jpg
#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I have a question about the upper right eject plastic piece.
Does anybody know what the cutoff billboard said or looked like?
Cheers.

Was looking at this on my game and don't think I know what you mean by cutoff billboard. Which plastic piece is it you're thinking of? Pic?

#1505 2 years ago

Mark... helicopter plastics on my machine are attached like this:

The holes in the two plastics pieces are staggered yet the hex spacers and plastic spacers and screws would all be the same height/length. Know what I mean?

Hex spacers are approx 1" in length and the little plastic spacers between the two plastic pieces are 1/2" or maybe less, like 3"8". Another one of those things where I doubt the "originality/correctness police" are going to dock you points lol. I'd say if you got 1" hex spacers female on each end (8-32 I would assume but might be 6-32) and then 3/8" plastic spacers along with screws that are say 1-1/4" thread length, you'd be good.

IMG_3433 (resized).JPGIMG_3433 (resized).JPG
#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

It is the plastic piece that is on the right side that covers the eject hole.
[quoted image]

Jeez dude, you sure you couldn't have found a smaller thumbnail? lol

2 weeks later
#1544 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Anyone replace the stand up targets recently?
I purchased new stand ups from Pinball resource but they came without diodes, just looking to see how someone else did it so I make sure I do it right…
Anyone got images of their diodes on new drop targets…

Mark,

Here's a couple pictures of how mine are. These photos aren't very good admittedly as it's hard to focus on things underneath as I'm sure you know.

And the sketch, which may not be how LW3 is wired, is what I found when redoing stand-up targets on a Funhouse. Similar pattern and direction for the band on the diodes? Maybe, maybe not.

IMG_1930 (resized).JPGIMG_1930 (resized).JPGIMG_2221 (resized).JPGIMG_2221 (resized).JPGIMG_2993 (resized).JPGIMG_2993 (resized).JPGIMG_3040 (resized).JPGIMG_3040 (resized).JPGIMG_3041 (resized).JPGIMG_3041 (resized).JPGIMG_3042 (resized).JPGIMG_3042 (resized).JPGSuperdog switch wiring sketch (resized).jpgSuperdog switch wiring sketch (resized).jpg
#1559 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Hi, can someone please tell me the codes of the lamp socket in the backbox? For
flash and normal lamps. Thanks

Try this. Very helpful. I didn't create the original, but don't remember where I found it so can't give the proper credit.

EDIT: I am trying to add the Excel file that has these images plus the list of what type of bulb each of those is, but can't seem to add an Excel file here. Sorry!

Basically, for the backbox, it's all wedge base bulbs. The green circles are regular bulbs and the orange circles are the flashers.

For the playfield, same idea except the additional purple circles are for round base bulbs. Green is still wedge base and the orange circles are flashers.

Bulb locations backbox (resized).pngBulb locations backbox (resized).pngBulb locations playfield (resized).pngBulb locations playfield (resized).png
#1560 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

One question for the group just doing some tweaks from my full restore...almost everything is working great just one little stumper....
I have completely rebuilt my flippers, new coils, new sleeves, new everything (except flipper button switches) and now the flipper will not hold up when pressed.
Before I restored the game no issues - the flippers held but all I get now is a pulse, it is strong but I cannot hold a ball the flipper only pulses....
Lots of posts on flippers and issues on the forum hoping someone can help sort through the stuff and give me a little guidance. I replaced my power driver board (PPB) and the power supply board on this game already just because I saw one hack on one of the boards I did not like.
Any suggestions - anyone?

Here's what my flippers look like underneath for comparison. And the flipper board too. Anything unusual about your board? Some of the fuse clips on these boards from Data East get flimsy over time and break off or stop making good contact. A few on mine were soldered in place with the fuse when I first got it.

IMG_1606 (resized).JPGIMG_1606 (resized).JPGIMG_1692 (resized).JPGIMG_1692 (resized).JPGIMG_3064 (resized).JPGIMG_3064 (resized).JPG
#1562 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

First of all I thank you
I need the code of the lamp holder and not the lamp. The one circled in red is broken and I can't find the code to order the spare part

lol, sorry. I looked at that after I wrote it and thought you might have been trying to replace the holder and not the bulbs themselves.

Not sure what the code is off hand. Let me see if I can help you figure it out.

#1572 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

So after help from multiple people in the forum I would call my LW3 largely done - I have a new coin door I have to re-wire then it will be 100%.
I am sure I over-spent on this machine but it looks good.
The flipper issue was the board like many said, must have been a bad fuse holder.
But I installed my mirror blades, extra LED strips on the back and ball trough and a couple extra spot lights, my PIN2DMD is installed, new beacon and LED bulb. Please don’t hate the orange Williams flipper bats but when I was rebuilding my flippers I noticed the Data East ones were cracked and I had new orange Williams bats - I could not justify a whole new order just for flipper bats when I had them just with a logo on them.
Wish me luck on the coin door re-wire I have to get this out of the living room to make room for the XMas tree, per my wife….
I clear coated the playfield and it looks good but if I was really going high end it should have had a new playfield but let’s face facts LW3 doesn’t hold value that high and I would have a hard time justifying it. Again…not perfect but pretty good…it has new legs, new side rails and lock down bars (same price to powder coat them of just buy new) and thanks to Pinball Plating for he chrome gun handle.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome!! Nicely done. And wow, that gun came out really well. The little gun barrel shooter cover on the inside of the glass too. Sweet.

#1582 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Does LW3 have any problems with ghosting? I’m adding new LED bulbs to the game.

This could be something unique to just my game because of a wiring issue or mix of bulbs, but the three bulbs on top of the ramp entrance ghost on my game.

These are the "looping", "jackpot" and "victory" lights and they go red, green, yellow left to right. My red one on the left actually flickers in unison with the start button lol.

I only just noticed it the other day oddly enough and the reason was I had always had incandescent bulbs in there with the little rubber bulb covers on the ends. I tried the same wedge based LED's I have in all my other machines and realized they ghost.

Soon as a put an order in for bulbs that specifically include the non-ghosting resistor in them, I'll swap out and see if anything changes. Same thing happens on my ramp entrance on my Getaway. Pretty much no where else though, so maybe it's Gremlins and not Ghosts

#1592 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Yeah mine had only one so I didn't install it, kind of wanted to know what was factory
I see a hole on the other side (left), like one can be installed there as well.
Thanks -

Exactly the same on mine. Right side has it but left side doesn’t. The little pilot hole is there though on the left. Actually, my game has a similar small pilot hole for what could be a centre post between the flippers but I don’t think it was meant to have one of those either.

1 week later
#1637 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nope, I'm good with the aftermarket solution.
Mine had none at all when I purchased it.

Could someone post some pictures of what the official, original dome and mechanism look like? Installed and / or uninstalled.

#1641 2 years ago

Something else that happens in the game regardless of what your settings are, is that the better you get and the more often you get the extra balls, the less often it will award them.

Default settings and no history will give you light extra ball after 3 shots up the ramp. Sometimes it'll go to 4 or 5 shots up the ramp and then it will settle at around 7 ramp shots. I've never found the exact setting or math formula responsible for varying it as I wondered about that too. Best I can tell is that you can't alter it to stay the same.

You pretty much have to take it as a good sign that you're having good games and it's making it harder for you.

#1653 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

As mentioned I swapped to a working flipper board and same issue. Fuses pulled same issue.
Worked for several months on route prior without issue. Also was routed it’s entire life in a bowling alley with minimum upkeep until I got it

Maybe something related to you moving it recently then? Like a rogue screw or small washer that rattled loose and is stuck somewhere under the playfield shorting out a couple of switches?

2 weeks later
#1695 2 years ago

I replaced my volume adjustment pot last year with this one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/123-5000-02

Here's some before and after pics of the wiring connections.

IMG_3457 (resized).JPGIMG_3457 (resized).JPGIMG_3459 (resized).JPGIMG_3459 (resized).JPG
#1703 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

just wondering how to win the ´fighting´video mode:
I have updated to Chads code which seems to have a more balanced difficulty.
With the standard code I was able to win the fight sometimes-with the Chad code I usually miss the win tightly
What is the strategy/approach on that fight mode?
Hitting the left/right button alternately or simultaneously?

No strategy, just button mashing. Press them quick and repeatedly. That's all there is to it.

1 month later
#1755 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Mel Brooks is gonna get pissed when He see this.

May the Schwartz be with you!

3 weeks later
#1772 2 years ago

No fancy connector on mine...

IMG_1649 (resized).JPGIMG_1649 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#1790 2 years ago

The 12v male plug you have in your machine is just used to allow a postive and negative connection. I doubt it has any special circuit inside. Just open it up away from the machine. Most likely you have 2 x + lines and 1 common ground. If that's the case you can just run new wires from the molex connector you pictured earlier and do away with the pigs tail cord and plug.
[quoted image]

Those car lighter plugs also usually have a fuse in them.

2 weeks later
#1824 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

These two plastics on the right sling and right out lane drain guide. Looks like there is a Baywatch plastic on it now.
Also could use the ball launcher coil bracket as I just found mine is broke when I removed the apron to clean underneath.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's the correct plastic on the right outlane guide. Not from Baywatch.

#1827 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Really? Ok cool. Looked totally out of place to me.

Here's a few pics.

And once you've seen it, you can't unsee it... is the totally out of place 10' long metal Johnson coming from Danny Glover just below that right flipper!

IMG_7052 (resized).JPGIMG_7052 (resized).JPGLethal-Weapon-Pinball-Flyer (resized).jpgLethal-Weapon-Pinball-Flyer (resized).jpglw3plas01 (resized).jpglw3plas01 (resized).jpg
#1835 1 year ago

Hi all,
If possible I would appreciate an under playfield pic of the centre and right side drop bank targets coil to make sure i have the right orientation. For some reason my 3 banks won't reset 90% of the time. Feels like somthing is amiss. I have completely rebuilt both. Very little slack and zero wear on the pivot. Can't figure it out.

Do any of these help?

IMG_1613 (resized).JPGIMG_1613 (resized).JPGIMG_1690 (resized).JPGIMG_1690 (resized).JPGIMG_1928 (resized).JPGIMG_1928 (resized).JPGIMG_1929 (resized).JPGIMG_1929 (resized).JPGIMG_1930 (resized).JPGIMG_1930 (resized).JPG
#1852 1 year ago
Quoted from slizzap:

3) Most of these are likely all superficial, but looking to get input. The most important concern is the first photo showing a comparison of the left and right outlane. It appears to me the left outlane should have a post with rubber to match what's on the right outlane, but looking for confirmation.
[quoted image]
For the rest, it looks as if someone that serviced this pin in the past may have just used whatever hardware they had on hand to fasten various pieces to the playfield. However, some of these are using plastic standoffs with screws that make me question whether they were propping up a piece of plastic or something else above it, or if it's simply incorrect and should be a simple screw/nut.
Any input is greatly appreciated![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey Slizzap,

Welcome. And all good questions. I'll try and answer a few of them, easy ones first maybe...

Ok, so the last two photos of your #3 and possibly superficial posts... those are definitely supposed to be there. They are intended to stop any errant air balls (of which there are many on this game as it sounds like you already know) from getting stuck. Those two spots stop the ball from getting wedged in between the side of the cabinet and the plastics or flasher dome, etc.

The wire gate leaving the number three hole is an interesting observation / question too... because I have that exact same hex bolt on top of mine. And not sure why... may be another thing to limit where errant balls could get wedged. Stay tuned on that one as I'll keep looking...

I get far too many rejects out of hole #3 too. Not anywhere near as high as 90%, but probably 2 or 3 out of 10 I'd say. Definitely enough that when I shoot for that hole I try and baby it in there by either trying to hit it soft or glance it purposely off the sides as it goes up into the catch.

When you mentioned taking off the plastic and looking to see if you could add some padding to the bracket, you do indeed have a bracket, right? Your photo has it removed, which I think you just did to show that post without a ring, but wanted to confirm.

I think I put a rubber ring or post sleeve on that post up in there too. Not clear to me whether it is technically supposed to be there or not. I'll look into that one a little more as well...

The two outlanes are different on my game as well. Right side has a post with a ring like yours, however, the left side does not. It could though as the tiny hole is there for it. I think I have tried one in there at times as it can go down that left outlane a lot when you play and the kickback is not always lit to save you. Again, not sure on that for certain either. Hopefully you asking gets a few more of the LW3 veterans to chime in.

That centre plastic you mentioned is part of the full replacement plastic set. I have a attached a photo. It is the one in the upper left hand corner. I'm not sure what the specific part number is for ordering it separately, or who has them for sale.

lw3plas01 (resized).jpglw3plas01 (resized).jpg
#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

For those that got new legs, are the modern Stern black ones close enough?

I have my LW3 right beside my World Poker Tour (Stern 2006). I'll try and get a photo for you showing the legs. Stern legs are two inches longer and the holes to mount them are higher up on the Stern for that reason. I think it would make your LW3 noticeably higher. Like gigantic looking even. The mounting holes and shape are fine, the issue is the length.

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I finally got through all the cut scenes once in a game (3 ball not 5 ball for cheaters)....I assume if you clear them all onc ethen the scenes become random?
I set a high score....it was a great game for me. Just curious of hte rules after you clear all the cut scenes?

It just starts over again at the 5 million award and then the 10, 15, etc. Kind of like beating Nintendo Kung-Fu back in the day where Thomas rescues the girl from Mr X. Oh hey you saved her, congrats, now go do it again lol.

#1872 1 year ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Well it was fun either way....

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying playing the game after you got it finished. I still enjoy playing mine. Rare bit of uniqueness with all the different modes and mini-games on the display or otherwise. And for sure rewarding and entertaining getting all those saucer modes finished. I gotta try and focus on getting the orbits and uzi clip modes done as I rarely get through all of those in a game. Not sure I've ever gotten both of those main modes done together in a single game.

11 months later
#2138 1 year ago

I think the consensus on the extra ball taking more than just three ramp shots is that you’re playing better and it’s making it harder for you. I don’t believe there is a setting to specifically adjust how many ramp shots are needed or to force it back to just three.

2 weeks later
#2162 11 months ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

hey guys I've been looking through google a bunch and I have found some info but definitely not as clear as i would like, is there a spot you guys can direct me to for rebuilding the flippers on this machine? Mine work but are a little weaker than I would like and when I purchased the game the guy included a rebuild kit that he never got around to. I have never done a rebuild before but i figure you got to start somewhere.

Straight from good ole SEGA / Data East circa 1998...

sb108 - rebuilding flippers.pdfsb108 - rebuilding flippers.pdf
#2166 11 months ago

That document is a 4 page PDF. Click on it to open. Or go grab the original if you’re inclined. I believe I found that on either ipdb.org or PinWiki.

6 months later
#2330 4 months ago
Quoted from kmobnz:

Hi folks, hope you can help me figure out where to start with this odd problem.
Bought a Lethal Weapon 3 (NZ) 2 months ago, it's been working flawlessly for 700+ free games. This is my first table, though I'm reasonable with basic electronics and work in IT.
The machine has number of aftermarket upgrades installed, all LEDs, looks like some new coils, and importantly it's got a Rottendog MPU-004 alongside the v3.01 ROMS. It also has an NVRAM upgrade, so no battery.
Over time, the left saucer coil would occasionally fail to fire the ball out, which would more or less freeze the machine. A power cycle usually took care of the issue. Running through the coil tests, the coil would fire after a poweroff / restart of the machine.
Then the ball loader coil failed to fire when starting a new game (the one that puts the ball in the launch, not the one connected to the gun). Again power cycle some times fixed it sometimes not.
I started working on the issue more in depth, and I'm starting to suspect that the MPU or the RAM may be at fault. The connections all seem good, and I seem to be able to intermittently get the coils to fire using the diagnostics, but only if the machine's been powered off for a while.
What's strange is I've now experienced a number of what I'd have called software issues if this was a normal PC, where the system will lock, loop the bootup sounds and displays, or sometimes while playing a game, appear to crash and again start looping sounds and display over time. The fact that that problems seem to wander around and resolve themselves after a full reset really make me think software over any hardware.
My plan so far is going to be:
1. check all connectors going into the MPU
2. Reseat the rom and cpu chips, checking for corrosion or damage
3. Check and replace any fuses I can see are blown
I'd like to:
1. confirm all the voltages going into and out of the MPU, but I'm not sure where to take the measurements.
2. confirm that the physical coils and diodes are ok. I read online if i ground the coil briefly it should fire, but not sure which side to ground and where a good ground point is in the table itself.
I'm happy to do a fair amount of reading / research, just need to know what to start with. Also happy to provide photos if it helps !

You could easily have more than one issue here. Could be software and the new Rottendog board and/or regular playfield switch and coil issues.

For the left saucer and the trough kickout, I would recommend checking the switches to make sure they are working correctly. If a saucer isn't kicking out the ball when it is supposed to, but will during a ball search, I'd be inclined to think the game doesn't know the ball is there AKA the switch isn't working.

You can test that switch with your finger or the ball or perhaps both. Both might be better as you might realize it is occasionally getting hung-up on the side of the saucer plate plastic or the metal arm that kicks the ball out. Easy enough to see from underneath the playfield too. With the exception of a wire having fallen off the switch, it should be purely a mechanical adjustment.

Same for the trough switch(es). Make sure those are working correctly. The game software isn't at fault if the playfield switches aren't working and can't tell the game where the ball is.

This is unlikely to explain any of that random rebooting or sounds you're hearing, but would be good to check the easy and straightforward stuff first and eliminate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexrogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one?tu=alexrogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.