Data East - Lethal Weapon 3 (LW3) Club

By mima

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 54 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,375 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 48.
#301 6 years ago

Afterwork pinball, new personal best

Anyone uses Pindigo app here?

IMG_1670 (resized).JPGIMG_1670 (resized).JPG

#302 6 years ago

Lethal weapon 3 helped me with my rehab after coming home from the hospital and nursing home after a stroke. I could not do both flippers for the fight at first but eventually I built up strength in my wrists to win the fight.

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Afterwork pinball, new personal best
Anyone uses Pindigo app here?

I have it. Don't use it nearly as much as I should. It's a cool app. I had 350-380 as my GC then a friend bumped it to 411. I doubt I ever get that. Game is tough to score high on.

4 weeks later
#304 6 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

anyone have the 2 plastics beside each flipper...mine are both broken

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-plastic-set-mini-kit/

#305 6 years ago

Sadly, I had to leave the club. I was surprised how much fun it was. When I eventually find more cash I will buy another one for sure due to their affordable price tag. Has to be one of the "best bang for your buck" DMD pins out there.

1 month later
#306 6 years ago

Before and after shots of my LW3 with the pinstadium kit in it.

D2B132E8-9B0E-402E-AC60-49449B0F065B (resized).jpgD2B132E8-9B0E-402E-AC60-49449B0F065B (resized).jpg

#307 6 years ago

WOW literally night and day, how much?

#308 6 years ago

That looks great! I might get me sum

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

WOW literally night and day, how much?

$150 for the kit that hooks into the GI only. Optional flasher piece that is 25-50 extra depending upon the type of flasher you get. UV/glow is $50. Any other color is $25.

#310 6 years ago

Hello guys... finally I'm able to join this fine club, over the weekend I got my first LW3, woohoo! but as expected i have an issue with the GI. When I asked the seller about his response was (attached)

Can you guys make some sense about what he's saying... I never heard the term "overenergized"

Thanks much!

~ja

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 10.38.42 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-02 at 10.38.42 AM (resized).png

#311 6 years ago

Got my first pin, wife got it for me for my birthday, helped me unload too and clean it up! Everything lights up, works well, just the regular broken plastic in the usual areas. Might try to make them myself, I found a clear label that you can just print it yourself, that might work and just cut plexi by hand and paint bottom white.

Seller said the gun launcher doesn't work sometimes when it blows fuse F5 every couple of months. Maybe check Q4 transistor?

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

22221638_10155904206126564_168180661150145204_n (resized).jpg22221638_10155904206126564_168180661150145204_n (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#312 6 years ago

Happy to be joining the club next weekend. looking forward to picking it up. will post pics!

2 weeks later
#313 6 years ago
Quoted from martuned:

Got my first pin, wife got it for me for my birthday, helped me unload too and clean it up! Everything lights up, works well, just the regular broken plastic in the usual areas. Might try to make them myself, I found a clear label that you can just print it yourself, that might work and just cut plexi by hand and paint bottom white.
Seller said the gun launcher doesn't work sometimes when it blows fuse F5 every couple of months. Maybe check Q4 transistor?

Way to plan ahead and build a spot for it!

#314 6 years ago

just played a nice one on location. hate to say it, sorta makes me miss mine. just simple fun gameplay.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Hello guys... finally I'm able to join this fine club, over the weekend I got my first LW3, woohoo! but as expected i have an issue with the GI. When I asked the seller about his response was (attached)
Can you guys make some sense about what he's saying... I never heard the term "overenergized"
Thanks much!
~ja

He's an idiot. Burns are caused by overheating of the connectors due to high current draw by design.

1 week later
#316 6 years ago

All GI On my LW3 went out today, swapped CN8 and now the game is back in A.

Still enjoy the game very much. As someone said, simple but fun!

3 weeks later
#317 6 years ago

Hey all,

Next time ya fire up a game, can you tell me how much your game is turned up on the dail?

Trying to diagnose a problem. At the moment mine is 1/8-1/4 from zero to be at a pretty acceptable level.

Thanks!

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Hey all,
Next time ya fire up a game, can you tell me how much your game is turned up on the dail?
Trying to diagnose a problem. At the moment mine is 1/8-1/4 from zero to be at a pretty acceptable level.
Thanks!

Does it go off (or mostly off) at zero? Mine wouldn't get quieter than a bit above acceptable and went up to ridiculously loud. A borrowed soundboard from another game proved it was something on the soundboard, and not the volume pot.

I just got a PinSound and its incredible. No more Data East hum. Real versions of CC Music Factory and ZZ Top. Need to watch all the movies again and find some callouts.

#319 6 years ago

Just took a closer look at my volume dial. I'm just under 1/4 from zero, and noticed that there's 3/4 more it could go to max.

Turned all the way down to zero still lets a little bit of volume through, but not much...

My problem is, that sometimes out of nowhere the volume/music will go through the roof. Even turning it down to zero would still be quite loud. So I thought my first step to diagnosing the problem would be to see where everyone else's volume sits at for a starting point. I just thought that only 1/4 turn for reasonable is on the low side...

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Just took a closer look at my volume dial. I'm just under 1/4 from zero, and noticed that there's 3/4 more it could go to max.
Turned all the way down to zero still lets a little bit of volume through, but not much...
My problem is, that sometimes out of nowhere the volume/music will go through the roof. Even turning it down to zero would still be quite loud. So I thought my first step to diagnosing the problem would be to see where everyone else's volume sits at for a starting point. I just thought that only 1/4 turn for reasonable is on the low side...

They made these things go LOUD. I'm assuming in a full arcade it needs to be. I dont think I was much past 1/4 either on a stock soundboard.

The only thing I can think of is to check the connector for the volume pot on the soundboard. If you unplug the pot, the volume is at max, so maybe that's loose? Or maybe your pot is going bad (or its solder connections are cracked). I installed a new one in my quest, I think it was only like $7

#321 6 years ago

Hello to all,
I am a new member, I write from Italy and the LETHAL WEAPON 3 is one of my 3 pinballs together with JURASSIC PARK and TALES FROM THE CRYPT

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

They made these things go LOUD. I'm assuming in a full arcade it needs to be. I dont think I was much past 1/4 either on a stock soundboard.
The only thing I can think of is to check the connector for the volume pot on the soundboard. If you unplug the pot, the volume is at max, so maybe that's loose? Or maybe your pot is going bad (or its solder connections are cracked). I installed a new one in my quest, I think it was only like $7

I wiggled the cables from the volume pot on the soundboard and that had no change in volume. The plug looks clean and fits snuggly. I unplugged that cable yup - VERY loud! The wires under the volume pot itself look clean and solid and have no change on the volume when wiggled either.

I have a DMM but don't know how to use it. Any suggestions as to how to set it and where I could probe around if the problem happens again?

#323 6 years ago

Check R25 on the soundboard. 330 Ohm 1/4 watt.

#324 6 years ago

Here’s what I’m workin with boysh.
2A258B69-C8DB-4830-B7C2-25FCB97A4E4E (resized).jpeg2A258B69-C8DB-4830-B7C2-25FCB97A4E4E (resized).jpeg

#325 6 years ago

I have three LW3 questions hopefully someone here can answer.

1) Can someone please explain in thorough detail exactly what adjustment settings (maybe combination of settings?) are needed to enable the VICTORY LAP? I had to replace my battery. I reset all my adjustments but for some reason the victory lap event will never trigger. This was great because normally I would use this, along with the super stunt, as the main challenges when I would play the game. Keep in mind my game is (obviously) in free play mode.

2) How exactly do you enable the "light karate kick" target? Not the karate kick (left ball drain kicker/saver) itself , but the left target that enables the karate kick? I can't seem to figure out the pattern in game play to do this. It just seems to happen at random during a game when I'm not trying to do it.

3) Is there any way to keep the "extra ball is lit" event FIXED so that after 3 ramps it lights the LW1 extra ball kickout hole? I noticed that after several games, the more ramps that are made per game, the longer it takes to activate the extra ball event. It got to the point on my machine (before batteries were replaced) that the extra ball event would NEVER light. Can this be corrected or is this strictly based on ramp shot percentage?

#326 6 years ago

I've made several mods to my LW3. I'm not trying to be redundant by posting this but for anyone interested I made a thread in the mods forum here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-mods

Since posting the thread in the mods forum the last 'update' i made was to switch to a rottendog power supply because my old one failed. The new supply worked well except the speaker hum was so loud it could wake up the neighbors. My original power supply had an annoying hum as well, albeit at a (barely) tolerable level. Anyways, today I installed an ATX pc power supply in my machine to power the sound board instead and there is ZERO hum, and sound is crisper and bass seems to be more pronounced. Sounds great!

My machine is pretty much all LED. In my machine the three (red green yellow) lights in the building over the ramp were retro LED's with bulb condoms over them as is in the original game. Just for the hell of it I tried sticking in some INCANDESCENT bulbs with COLORED glass (with no condom) and they look great! The filament in the bulbs really catch the eye in a way LED's can't, plus it gives a good retro look and it looks awesome in attract mode from far away.

#327 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

2) How exactly do you enable the "light karate kick" target? Not the karate kick (left ball drain kicker/saver) itself , but the left target that enables the karate kick? I can't seem to figure out the pattern in game play to do this. It just seems to happen at random during a game when I'm not trying to do it.

Two left orbits or three right orbits in a row.

#328 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Two left orbits or three right orbits in a row.

Thanks!

#329 6 years ago

Any idea on enabling or activating the victory lap/ramp? This is driving me nuts. All the manual says is that, once SPECIAL is awarded, victory lap (and its corresponding yellow light above the ramp) should be activated for 20 seconds. This no longer happens on my LW3. For example, I tried setting replay score at 200 million, and replay awards SPECIAL. When this score is reached the game makes crazy sounds but that's about it.

***EDIT: Figured it out. Contrary to what the manual implies, the "Game Award" adjustment has to be set to "Credit" for the Victory lap to work and will be triggered when the current score hits the set replay score. This holds true even if the machine is set to free play. The manual says that "Special" is supposed to do this. In fact, I can't find any documentation as to what the "Special" actually does in this game. The "Game Award" can be set to "extra ball", "credit" or "special", yet there is nowhere to set what "special" actually does. Unless I'm interpreting something wrong here. In all my other pins I can set the special to award extra ball, points, credits, or free game.

#330 6 years ago

hey.
anyone has cabinet and/or backbox decals in psd? I need to restore my cabinet and I cannot find anywhere printable files - and the prices for these sets are are out of this world.

lw3 is a great pin

#331 6 years ago

I have been looking for backbox decals as well. Some past owner used duct tape to hold the backbox down for transport and it jacked up the decals. If anyone has these files I would really appreciate a copy as well.

Thanks.

#332 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I have three LW3 questions hopefully someone here can answer.
1) Can someone please explain in thorough detail exactly what adjustment settings (maybe combination of settings?) are needed to enable the VICTORY LAP? I had to replace my battery. I reset all my adjustments but for some reason the victory lap event will never trigger. This was great because normally I would use this, along with the super stunt, as the main challenges when I would play the game. Keep in mind my game is (obviously) in free play mode.
3) Is there any way to keep the "extra ball is lit" event FIXED so that after 3 ramps it lights the LW1 extra ball kickout hole? I noticed that after several games, the more ramps that are made per game, the longer it takes to activate the extra ball event. It got to the point on my machine (before batteries were replaced) that the extra ball event would NEVER light. Can this be corrected or is this strictly based on ramp shot percentage?

For the extra ball on ramps, there is a setting called something like increase extra ball that if you set to zero will make it so that you will light extra ball after three ramps every time. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see what my settings are.

#333 6 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

For the extra ball on ramps, there is a setting called something like increase extra ball that if you set to zero will make it so that you will light extra ball after three ramps every time. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see what my settings are.

Just checked, I can't seem to find it in the adjustments. If you could look I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Just checked, I can't seem to find it in the adjustments. If you could look I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Mine stopped doing the extra ball after three ramps and I swear I played with all the adjustments and I couldn't get it to come back. I reset the machine and now it works every time again. Brand new ROM chips on a new Rottendog board so who knows.

Where does everyone's laser kickout shoot back to? Occasionally mine makes it up the right subway a bit, but most of the time it hits the center drop targets. What's "normal"?

#335 6 years ago

Extra Ball is a percentage.... if you are awarded to many, the program shuts the feature off till the percentage gets back in line.

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Where does everyone's laser kickout shoot back to? Occasionally mine makes it up the right subway a bit, but most of the time it hits the center drop targets. What's "normal"?

My kickout almost always goes far up the right subway. I can't think of a time when it hit the center drop targets.

#337 6 years ago

Usually subway, but occasionally center drop targets.

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Extra Ball is a percentage.... if you are awarded to many, the program shuts the feature off till the percentage gets back in line.

I thought the percentage only related to the amount it was awarded by the "Leo Getz" shot.

The ramp would always do Extra Ball after three shots. Then one day it stopped. I pulled the glass off and did around 20+ ramp shots and it never awarded it.

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from csbelli:

My kickout almost always goes far up the right subway. I can't think of a time when it hit the center drop targets.

Thanks! Guess I have some lane guide tweaking to do. I've had it hit the center targets and bounce right back into the kickout.

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I thought the percentage only related to the amount it was awarded by the "Leo Getz" shot.
The ramp would always do Extra Ball after three shots. Then one day it stopped. I pulled the glass off and did around 20+ ramp shots and it never awarded it.

At one point you’d have to hit over 30 ramps to get the extra ball. It definitely keeps ramping up the difficulty if you’re getting it every game. That EB setting has nothing to do with Leo I don’t think.

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

At one point you’d have to hit over 30 ramps to get the extra ball. It definitely keeps ramping up the difficulty if you’re getting it every game. That EB setting has nothing to do with Leo I don’t think.

Agreed. After a factory reset 3 ramps lights extra ball, it takes progressively more ramps after a few games to get it to light. After 50 or so games it never lights on my machine again unless I wipe audits and factory resey.

#342 6 years ago

I like that you can set reaching replay score to award extra ball but it stinks that there seems to be no way to enable the victory lap AND have replay award extra ball. If I'm mistaken let me know. With victory lap enabled on my game I ONLY get extra ball offered at random with Leo getz, there is no way to actively pursue an extra ball during game play through high scores or multiple ramp shots. Disappointing.

I have my extra ball award adjustments setting to 50% which I suppose makes it randomly more available with Leo getz, although this just awards extra ball, it doesn't light the LW1 extra ball light. The extra ball playfield light for LW1 kickout is never activated on my machine at this point.

#343 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I like that you can set reaching replay score to award extra ball but it stinks that there seems to be no way to enable the victory lap AND have replay award extra ball. If I'm mistaken let me know. With victory lap enabled on my game I ONLY get extra ball offered at random with Leo getz, there is no way to actively pursue an extra ball during game play through high scores or multiple ramp shots. Disappointing.
I have my extra ball award adjustments setting to 50% which I suppose makes it randomly more available with Leo getz, although this just awards extra ball, it doesn't light the LW1 extra ball light. The extra ball playfield light for LW1 kickout is never activated on my machine at this point.

Yeah I turned off EBs on my game over a year ago. I don’t miss them. Haha

#344 6 years ago

Chuckwurt, I recognize your avatar, pretty sure I've seen some of your games at the Cleveland and Ohio pinball shows. Any chance you plan on bringing your LW3 to a show? I'd love to see it in person with the pinstadium lighting

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Chuckwurt, I recognize your avatar, pretty sure I've seen some of your games at the Cleveland and Ohio pinball shows. Any chance you plan on bringing your LW3 to a show? I'd love to see it in person with the pinstadium lighting

I’m still undecided on what I’m bringing to LAX in March. You headed there? If not, I would consider it for Cleveland in September.

#346 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m still undecided on what I’m bringing to LAX in March. You headed there? If not, I would consider it for Cleveland in September.

Only shows I'll be at in 2018 are Ohio show and Cleveland show. How many machines do you normally bring?

#347 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Only shows I'll be at in 2018 are Ohio show and Cleveland show. How many machines do you normally bring?

To Cleveland, 2. I usually only bring one to LAX. I bout LW3 from a Cleveland guy so I’ve been meaning to bring it up there anyway. I’m sure I’ll be able to make it work. If you remember, remind me later in the summer.

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

To Cleveland, 2. I usually only bring one to LAX. I bout LW3 from a Cleveland guy so I’ve been meaning to bring it up there anyway. I’m sure I’ll be able to make it work. If you remember, remind me later in the summer.

I'll send you a reminder later on. Thanks!

1 week later
#349 6 years ago

Two questions! First- my left side back box lights are out! Connectors don’t look burnt. Is there a fuse for just that side? Or what do I look for?
Second- I have a really loud hum with other interference.....louder then normal DE hum! I do have a ground off on right side that connects to the back box but when I stick it to the speaker nothing changes. This still my problem or what do I look for? It’s in both speakers! Thanks guys for any help

#350 6 years ago

Im pretty sure all GI is on a single fuse so I don't believe that is it. All of the + pins and all of the GND pins on CN8 are essentially jumpered/shorted together such that you should get continuity between pin 1 through 4, and continuity between pins 6 through 9.

I'd start by checking for continuity at one of the non-functioning light bases (where the wire is soldered on) and the corresponding female CN8 connector pin. Also check for continuity on the PS board CN8 connector male header pins between pins 1 through 4 (should all be connected together) and between 6-9 to rule out cracked solder joints.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 2,375 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one/page/7?hl=uncle_jose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.