Topic Stats

• 2,370 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 54 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6406 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6402 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6403 (resized).JPEG
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 48.
#2051 1 year ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

Right, I still need to add the 4 rivet holes once I have confirmed the dimensions are roughly correct. There is also a "dimple" on the front above the 44 bulb that I originally thought was there to assist with clearance for the bulb, but upon closer inspection might just be DE's version of a gun sight. I'll play with that later as well but it might be difficult as I am currently printing it upside down.

yeah do not bother with the sight, a better option, in my opinion would be to just make a slot. then print a small rectangle (the size of the sight) in red, and insert it into the slot where the sight should live.

I would print it like you are doing too, in my textured bed, it will give it a nice texture resembling a gun too (very similar to the power coat from the factory in fact). I have an OEM black gun to install.

#2052 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

yeah do not bother with the sight, a better option, in my opinion would be to just make a slot. then print a small rectangle (the size of the sight) in red, and insert it into the slot where the sight should live.
I would print it like you are doing too, in my textured bed, it will give it a nice texture resembling a gun too (very similar to the power coat from the factory in fact). I have an OEM black gun to install.

Yeah, the textured bed imprint looks good on the top. I also like your idea for the sight, I think it will work out well. If I can get the print to a place that I like, I will order up some black silk or gun metal pla. Back to making the corners more rounded for now.

#2053 1 year ago

V2 is definitely better, still think I want more curve though.

PXL_20230227_221250684 (resized).jpgPXL_20230227_221250684 (resized).jpg
#2054 1 year ago

V2 is definitely better, still think I want more curve though.[quoted image]

Agree, I think it could use a little more curve yes

#2055 1 year ago

Already printing the next one. Slide in sight also works well, just need to play with how high it should be.

#2056 1 year ago

V2 on the left with V3 in the middle. I think I finally have the curve pretty close to where it needs to be. I also installed the sight for this picture. I think the rivet holes are probably next up. I have some new filament that should be in Friday that should be more color accurate to what I want.

PXL_20230228_124348585 (resized).jpgPXL_20230228_124348585 (resized).jpg
#2057 1 year ago

Right, I still need to add the 4 rivet holes once I have confirmed the dimensions are roughly correct. There is also a "dimple" on the front above the 44 bulb that I originally thought was there to assist with clearance for the bulb, but upon closer inspection might just be DE's version of a gun sight. I'll play with that later as well but it might be difficult as I am currently printing it upside down.

Nice work. Mines missing as well. Does anyone have a photo of what this area looks like originally? Finding it hard to find.

#2058 1 year ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Nice work. Mines missing as well. Does anyone have a photo of what this area looks like originally? Finding it hard to find.

you must add it back, it is not difficult to make. Just a couple connectors and this 'receptacle' and you are back in business.

IT is cool because it flashes when you use the gun, as if you were shooting a gun... it is a must have in this game, cool little - original toy!

#2059 1 year ago

I'm happy to post my STL file once its all set along with some pictures of the bulbs holders once I drill out the rivets. Everything but the little "springy" bracket that holds it onto the apron is a standard part. I might even be able to create a replacement mounting bracket as well if there is need.

#2060 1 year ago
Quoted from Shmilder:

Can you post a pic of what it looks like without one? I picked up a LW3 recently and thought it was a add on. The apron is in rough condition and pretty sure it doesn't go with the game because it has a skill shot meter under it. I'll snap a pic in the morning

#2061 1 year ago

I'm happy to post my STL file once its all set along with some pictures of the bulbs holders once I drill out the rivets. Everything but the little "springy" bracket that holds it onto the apron is a standard part. I might even be able to create a replacement mounting bracket as well if there is need.

The spring bracket as you call it is just to hold it in place. It can also be printed really.
Does not require to be of any particular strenght.

I recommend the holes for the rivets to be printed as well.

Another thing, if there is enough interest I volunteer to build these and selll them. Fully wired up.

I am currently working on other mods but once finished I can revisit this (2-3 weeks) unless of course someone else wants to do it.
Just mentioning it. All good!

#2062 1 year ago

Here is the mostly finished part, just waiting on appropriate colored PLA to be delivered Friday. Once I drill the rivets out of the factory piece I will work on replicating the bracket as well.

The apron has the skill shot marking on it. I don't think DE cared as this part covers it up. The mounting bracket actually holds onto the slot in the middle of the skill shot.

PXL_20230301_123939374 (resized).jpgPXL_20230301_123939374 (resized).jpg
#2063 1 year ago

Here is the mostly finished part, just waiting on appropriate colored PLA to be delivered Friday. Once I drill the rivets out of the factory piece I will work on replicating the bracket as well.
The apron has the skill shot marking on it. I don't think DE cared as this part covers it up. The mounting bracket actually holds onto the slot in the middle of the skill shot.
[quoted image]

Make aure to replace that flasher with a led flasher or it will melt.

#2064 1 year ago

Make aure to replace that flasher with a led flasher or it will melt.

Everything gets reinstalled with tasteful led's these days.

#2065 1 year ago

My lw3 cabinet is in pretty rough shape. Considering getting some decals for a spring project. I'm not the biggest fan of the blue and was wondering if anyone has done theirs in black or silver? I think all black would look pretty sweet. Not enough going on with the silver ones imo. Thoughts?

lethal-weapon-3-black-edition-pinball-cabinet-decals-flipper-side-art-artwork-original-data-east.jpglethal-weapon-3-black-edition-pinball-cabinet-decals-flipper-side-art-artwork-original-data-east.jpglw3-alt.jpglw3-alt.jpg
#2066 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My lw3 cabinet is in pretty rough shape. Considering getting some decals for a spring project. I'm not the biggest fan of the blue and was wondering if anyone has done theirs in black or silver? I think all black would look pretty sweet. Not enough going on with the silver ones imo. Thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image]

Super curious on the results. Been eyeing the black ones for a while.
Definitely the blue has got to go. It is ugly

#2067 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My lw3 cabinet is in pretty rough shape. Considering getting some decals for a spring project. I'm not the biggest fan of the blue and was wondering if anyone has done theirs in black or silver? I think all black would look pretty sweet. Not enough going on with the silver ones imo. Thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image]

I recently ordered (a couple of weeks ago) the standard blue from RetroRefurb and was extremely disappointed in the quality of the print. The silver might be better as it appears to be built from scratch so it has the potential to be better but I can't speak for it personally. I followed up by buying the only other one from Ebay and it was marginally better, but still not great.

#2068 1 year ago

I swapped in comet leds and waiting for my titan order to arrive. Not a fan of the cheesy flame side sticker blades. Think mirror blades is the way to go to match the backbox mirrors. Need a few plastics that seem to be out of stock everywhere so might bite the bullet and get a full set. Color pin2dmd arrived Monday. Project for today. Has a upgraded speaker as well. Love the bass it produces

20230213_101132.jpg20230213_101132.jpg20230216_084923.jpg20230216_084923.jpg
#2069 1 year ago

I recently ordered (a couple of weeks ago) the standard blue from RetroRefurb and was extremely disappointed in the quality of the print. The silver might be better as it appears to be built from scratch so it has the potential to be better but I can't speak for it personally. I followed up by buying the only other one from Ebay and it was marginally better, but still not great.

Oh that is not what I was hoping to hear.
Was the quality of the print bad?

Any chances we can get some pics?

#2070 1 year ago

Oh that is not what I was hoping to hear.
Was the quality of the print bad?
Any chances we can get some pics?

I'll get some pictures and post them in a little bit. There was heavy stair stepping or pixelation in the graphics. Clearly just a bad scan or picture that someone blew up the proportions of. No vectorization of the graphics at all. There is no decent color fading in any of the explosion for the same reason.

#2071 1 year ago

Here you go. I will be selling these at a loss if anyone is interested. The material itself seems really nice, just not the print.

PXL_20230301_151717287 (resized).jpgPXL_20230301_151717287 (resized).jpgPXL_20230301_151721742 (resized).jpgPXL_20230301_151721742 (resized).jpgPXL_20230301_151730653 (resized).jpgPXL_20230301_151730653 (resized).jpg
#2072 1 year ago

Here you go. I will be selling these at a loss if anyone is interested. The material itself seems really nice, just not the print.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

mmmh to be honest this looks almost like the original...if you look at it, you will immediately notice that definition was not a thing back then for Data East. I think the stepping is just an attempt at making it look like the original, that also has these lines on... I just checked my LW3, literally 2 sec ago.

#2073 1 year ago

I compared side by side before I sanded my cabinet clean and wasn't happy with it so I went a different route. If someone wants this set at a discount I'm happy to slap a new label on the shipping tube. Otherwise it will be at Allentown.

#2074 1 year ago

I compared side by side before I sanded my cabinet clean and wasn't happy with it so I went a different route. If someone wants this set at a discount I'm happy to slap a new label on the shipping tube. Otherwise it will be at Allentown.

what did you end up using?
I might take them actually, can't decide, send me a pm with price please.

#2075 1 year ago

Hi. I've joined today✌️ even though this came with a box full with parts I'm pretty sure I'm missing many.

Let the action begin. Can't wait to spare some time working on it and see what I got.

I'm familiar with data east already because bttf was just as bad.

Any advices are appreciated.

IMG_20230303_152907 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_152907 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_154318 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_154318 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_160112 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_160112 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_160407 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_160407 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_161303 (resized).jpgIMG_20230303_161303 (resized).jpg
#2076 1 year ago
Quoted from mcalon:

Hi. I've joined today✌️ even though this came with a box full with parts I'm pretty sure I'm missing many.
Let the action begin. Can't wait to spare some time working on it and see what I got.
I'm familiar with data east already because bttf was just as bad.
Any advices are appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good luck! Looks like a worthy project.

#2077 1 year ago

Rivets get drilled out on the stock unit tomorrow so I can see about making the mounting bracket as well. Color match is amazing to my refinished handle. Also need to get some short flasher sockets on order as I don't have any of this style in stock. I'm also going to continue tweaking the print settings to try and minimize the stringing between the holes, I haven't had a lot of luck yet getting them to disappear. I can't see them at all on the natural colored PETG I was printing the drafts in, so its annoying that they are now showing up in the new black silk PLA+ I ordered.

PXL_20230305_010836181 (resized).jpgPXL_20230305_010836181 (resized).jpgPXL_20230305_010906121 (resized).jpgPXL_20230305_010906121 (resized).jpgPXL_20230305_010947312 (resized).jpgPXL_20230305_010947312 (resized).jpg
#2078 1 year ago

I have a couple of issues I could use some help on if anybody has any thoughts.

After replacing the 3.0 rom chips with a set of 3.1, now every time there is a “Bonus” screen, the game kinda freezes. The dmd shows the bonus even with the blinking animation, music still plays, lights still play, but the flippers are locked and it just sits there. Ran into this and restarted 3 times. It happens every time.

The other ,smaller issue is the trigger on the gun handle sticks in the pulled position from time to time to the point it takes pliers to release it. Before I take it apart I’m just wondering if this is a coming part failure that I need to order something for or just a good cleaning is needed?

Thanks

Thanks

#2079 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

I have a couple of issues I could use some help on if anybody has any thoughts.
After replacing the 3.0 rom chips with a set of 3.1, now every time there is a “Bonus” screen, the game kinda freezes. The dmd shows the bonus even with the blinking animation, music still plays, lights still play, but the flippers are locked and it just sits there. Ran into this and restarted 3 times. It happens every time.
The other ,smaller issue is the trigger on the gun handle sticks in the pulled position from time to time to the point it takes pliers to release it. Before I take it apart I’m just wondering if this is a coming part failure that I need to order something for or just a good cleaning is needed?
Thanks
Thanks

Well I put the original Roms back in and it started working again. However after about 20min of playing non stop, and doing several cycles of getting 1,2,3 and multi balls it hung again after hitting the 2 again. No idea why. Very frustrating though.

#2080 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Well I put the original Roms back in and it started working again. However after about 20min of playing non stop, and doing several cycles of getting 1,2,3 and multi balls it hung again after hitting the 2 again. No idea why. Very frustrating though.

I had a similar situation with bttf. The game just hung, got stuck, at certain point. Even ball search didn't work.
Apparently it was a bad switch.
Just saying...

#2081 1 year ago

I installed a pin2dmd this past weekend and it's awesome. The colors and annimations during just the attract mode are better then some complete games I've played. It's tough to think of another game that a color display adds so much more to overall enjoyment. Maybe Breakshot. Great job by Malenko. If you haven't installed either color displays in your game, you're severely missing out.

#2082 1 year ago
Quoted from mcalon:

I had a similar situation with bttf. The game just hung, got stuck, at certain point. Even ball search didn't work.
Apparently it was a bad switch.
Just saying...

I’ll run the switch tests tomorrow, and take a look at it under the playfield to see if anything stands out.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I installed a pin2dmd this past weekend and it's awesome. The colors and animations during just the attract mode are better then some complete games I've played. It's tough to think of another game that a color display adds so much more to overall enjoyment. Maybe Breakshot. Great job by Malenko. If you haven't installed either color displays in your game, you're severely missing out.

Man, you can't post that without showing a video! I would love to see it in action.

#2083 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Man, you can't post that without showing a video! I would love to see it in action.

Here's some pics to get you by

20230304_192401.jpg20230304_192401.jpg20230304_192604.jpg20230304_192604.jpg20230304_192628.jpg20230304_192628.jpg20230304_192650.jpg20230304_192650.jpg20230304_192654.jpg20230304_192654.jpg20230304_192702.jpg20230304_192702.jpg20230304_193004.jpg20230304_193004.jpg
#2084 1 year ago

Anyone out there have a lw3 gun assembly. I need one as mine is missing. Even if it’s old and rusty don’t mind cleaning and painting it to make it new again. I was on another forum for data east and vec-tor recommended a t2 gun assembly but not sure if that would really work. Costs $200 on Marco https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14747

Has anyone else tried this. Any info would be appreciated.

#2085 1 year ago
Quoted from TBone8n69:

Anyone out there have a lw3 gun assembly. I need one as mine is missing. Even if it’s old and rusty don’t mind cleaning and painting it to make it new again. I was on another forum for data east and vec-tor recommended a t2 gun assembly but not sure if that would really work. Costs $200 on Marco https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14747

If you are strapped for a replacement, and I mean as an absolute last option, there is this:

https://www.coinoppartsetc.com/shop/all?search=lethal+weapon

#2086 1 year ago

What a nice find. Thanks bozo lol I had to say it. But really thanks.

#2087 1 year ago
Quoted from TBone8n69:

What a nice find. Thanks bozo lol I had to say it. But really thanks.

I have one NOS, that is finished black. It is new old stock and never used but it is complete.
Paid like $300 for it last year.

#2088 1 year ago

Wow that’s even a better deal pin_fadango. I’m definitely interested.

#2089 1 year ago

Finally got around to making an air ball deflector. If you’re on the fence do it, no more airballs and cut and sanded in about 20 minutes. Made a cardboard template and picked up small lexan sheet (Home Depot $5).
Put mine on top of the existing plastic, if you put it under it might touch drop targets. It did on mine. Very happy with results!

E2A482FD-9998-42E1-9DB4-D0D4449EC698 (resized).jpegE2A482FD-9998-42E1-9DB4-D0D4449EC698 (resized).jpeg
#2090 1 year ago
Quoted from joeaf:

Finally got around to making an air ball deflector. If you’re on the fence do it, no more airballs and cut and sanded in about 20 minutes. Made a cardboard template and picked up small lexan sheet (Home Depot $5).
Put mine on top of the existing plastic, if you put it under it might touch drop targets. It did on mine. Very happy with results!
[quoted image]

Sweet idea. Just about every game I send a ball or two over to the ramp. Had back 2 back games the other day where I had a stuck ball. Missing the guard

20230306_173026.jpg20230306_173026.jpg20230306_180004.jpg20230306_180004.jpg
#2091 1 year ago

Looking for an assist, anyone have any pictures of the LW3 interlock switch? I am tracking down missing 32v off PPB (brown wires to coils). My interlock switch had broken connectors when I got it. I'm trying to get it rewired and hopefully restoring 32v output! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2092 1 year ago
Quoted from kwh2oman:

Looking for an assist, anyone have any pictures of the LW3 interlock switch? I am tracking down missing 32v off PPB (brown wires to coils). My interlock switch had broken connectors when I got it. I'm trying to get it rewired and hopefully restoring 32v output! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Interlock switch does not switch off the playfield power as far as I know.
It only disable the memory in case you press credit and stuff like this.

#2093 1 year ago
Quoted from TBone8n69:

I would recommend you buy a gun assembly from a Last Action Hero. Since they are both from DATA East and similar years the bolt pattern lines up perfectly and the LAH assembly looks tons better. Here is a pic from the one I did on mine.
Pinside_forum_6918737_12 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6918737_12 (resized).jpg

#2094 1 year ago

TXJay that one looks really nice.

#2095 1 year ago
Quoted from mcalon:

Thanks. I thought that too but I read a couple of posts mentioned it cutting off 32V from PPB, which is what I am seeing. I traced the brown wire off the board to all coils and have continuity, started working my way backward through the board but no luck. Any ideas why I don't have 32v coming out of the PPB? I have a brand new Rottendog Power Supply and PPB board. I replaced the connectors on J2 as well as on the power board, Still nothing.

Quoted from mcalon:

#2096 1 year ago

Pictures just don't do these handles justice.

PXL_20230314_151807675 (resized).jpgPXL_20230314_151807675 (resized).jpgPXL_20230314_151822302 (resized).jpgPXL_20230314_151822302 (resized).jpg
#2097 1 year ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I would recommend you buy a gun assembly from a Last Action Hero. Since they are both from DATA East and similar years the bolt pattern lines up perfectly and the LAH assembly looks tons better. Here is a pic from the one I did on mine.
[quoted image]

Awesome 2 questions:

Are these drop in or does it neee mods?
Who makes the black decals?

#2098 1 year ago

I finally put these side by side. The most obvious difference is the shade of blue used but there are other minor differences as well. I'm not going to comment on which is which for now so people can't prefer one over the other based on the source. My final decision was based on the blue that I felt most closely complements the playfield.

PXL_20230318_150514869 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_150514869 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_150539145 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_150539145 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_150934093 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_150934093 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_151131195 (resized).jpgPXL_20230318_151131195 (resized).jpg
#2099 1 year ago

The one on the left looks more true to color, at least in the photo. I used a set of decals on mine that had more of an teal tint to it. Still looked nice on the machine.

#2100 1 year ago

I finally put these side by side. The most obvious difference is the shade of blue used but there are other minor differences as well. I'm not going to comment on which is which for now so people can't prefer one over the other based on the source. My final decision was based on the blue that I felt most closely complements the playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

tough choice, would be good with either I think. I really can't decide but maybe the left.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 2,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.