Topic Stats

• 2,377 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 hours ago by billsfanmd
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 55 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(147 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 48.
#1601 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

Pin2DMD will perform like your requesting. Just don’t load the color pallet file. Then In the menu tweak the four color pallet to your preference.
If you want a factory DMD I have one in great shape. $150.

That likely won’t solve his voltage problem…he need the new DMD

#1602 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

It's funny because I thought the same way about boards and mine is also brand new. I didn't buy it but the guy I bought the table from just put in a brand new "Pin-tek" power supply. That appears to be what the issue was. I spoke to the team that made the board and they noted that the newer resisters and power supplies can have trouble with the high voltage the old Data East DMD draw. Basically old power supplies do better in their opinion, mainly because of the quality of the older resisters/capacitors. They said the older the DMD the quicker the problems can develop. Sadly my old power supply still "works" but is unreliable and just a real mess that isn't worth the cost to salvage. Thus I'm kicking around a new color DMD.

I would recommend saving an old boards and selling them to someone who wants to fix them (nothing really beats rebuilding the Originals) or sell them with the game when you sell it. I always appreciate getting the old boards with a game even if they don’t work at the moment!

My LW3 is having some sound issues. The game constantly says “we’re back in action!” over and over again while attempting to play the music. The music cuts in and out or sometimes totally disappears but the sound and noises all remain.

Where should I start looking, or does anyone know what the issue is? For reference this game is bone stock, been on route it’s entire life and never had any upgrades or rebuilds. I repinned half the burnt connectors already, but otherwise it’s been a tank.

#1603 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I would recommend saving an old boards and selling them to someone who wants to fix them (nothing really beats rebuilding the Originals) or sell them with the game when you sell it. I always appreciate getting the old boards with a game even if they don’t work at the moment!
My LW3 is having some sound issues. The game constantly says “we’re back in action!” over and over again while attempting to play the music. The music cuts in and out or sometimes totally disappears but the sound and noises all remain.
Where should I start looking, or does anyone know what the issue is? For reference this game is bone stock, been on route it’s entire life and never had any upgrades or rebuilds. I repinned half the burnt connectors already, but otherwise it’s been a tank.

I was debating about paying someone to fix the old power supply but I'll see.

I was having crazy sound issues somewhat similar to yours. I put in a new cable, that didn't work. I then just replaced all three sound ROMs and that fixed my issue. I likely could have gotten away with figuring out which ROM was messing up and replacing just that one but they were so cheap it was just as easy to replace all 3.

#1604 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

I was debating about paying someone to fix the old power supply but I'll see.
I was having crazy sound issues somewhat similar to yours. I put in a new cable, that didn't work. I then just replaced all three sound ROMs and that fixed my issue. I likely could have gotten away with figuring out which ROM was messing up and replacing just that one but they were so cheap it was just as easy to replace all 3.

I would love to keep old boards after they are fixed by someone who does board work, rather then me to hack at it. But, like I said before you are likely waiting for months for a game to be back up and running that is why I buy new.

I am going to sell my old boards even though most probably are good as is or a small repair or two, it is just faster when you restore to add more parts to the list just to make it faster to get it done.

#1605 2 years ago

reset all settings, pull batteries, reseat sound roms and make sure that sound board is getting the 5v and other voltages, check the harnesses leaving from the psu

i don't mind original boards but generally, they are hacked up a bit by the time is thrown our way and need a good eye to understand and undo what was done to make them 'better than new'. New boards are redesigned with modern components and work great for the most part. most horror stories i have read/seen are a result of a new board but forced to play nice with other tweaks in the machine that are not factory.

#1606 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

That likely won’t solve his voltage problem…he need the new DMD

if his voltage issue is with the HV section, then he can totally pull the fuse on those rails and run a pin2dmd.

I did this with a demolition man for a while and a stern red low-voltage dmd and its a non-issue..

in fact i pulled all the hv fuses from my games that are running LED dmds.

#1607 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

if his voltage issue is with the HV section, then he can totally pull the fuse on those rails and run a pin2dmd.

I pulled the whole high voltage section on a LW3 power supply, hahaha.

It was wrecked.

Running Pin2DMD.

48b325620ebf35fc97810b2c8e68f9250a64596e (resized).jpg48b325620ebf35fc97810b2c8e68f9250a64596e (resized).jpg

#1608 2 years ago

wow, thats a lot of work if you want to practice your thru-hole component pulling lol.

heck you could even take the voltage inputs, run a williams/bally dmd board and just steal the HV section and run the HV outputs direct to a DMD display...

pretty sure its been done more than once... run it to a rottendog b/w dmd board as it runs way cooler....

OR, you can just run a pin2dmd. pulling the fuses optional.

#1609 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

wow, thats a lot of work if you want to practice your thru-hole component pulling lol.

Have a desoldering station, didn't take any time at all. If I cut the leads off the various components it would have taken even less.

The HV section was borked and needed to be re-done. Since I was running a Pin2DMD no high voltage was required.

Data East did release a TSB on the erroneous schematic but the damage was done by the time I came across it.

https://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb38.pdf

048686f6c3fffdd59f7602f77a2e0a411e5c43d9 (resized).jpg048686f6c3fffdd59f7602f77a2e0a411e5c43d9 (resized).jpg
#1610 2 years ago

ah nice work. yeah i've been good at solder work but haven't taken the dive into a desoldering station just yet!

#1611 2 years ago

Ok this was only my second pin ever and certainly a project. I’m super happy with how it turned out. Needed new sound ROMs, new power supply, decals, LEDs, pop targets, flippers and a whole bunch of playfield art work. Here’s a few before and after. I also cleaned up the lock down bar and back a bit because why not. Big thanks to wamonkey and JOEYDPINBALL for their help and input. Great community here. FA60AFCC-CDDF-4C9F-960F-C314875C958D (resized).jpegFA60AFCC-CDDF-4C9F-960F-C314875C958D (resized).jpeg
24E15DD9-7112-4233-BA7C-ACA1108FD41E (resized).jpeg24E15DD9-7112-4233-BA7C-ACA1108FD41E (resized).jpegC8660164-2779-4026-8AFB-EEF2B539E4FD (resized).jpegC8660164-2779-4026-8AFB-EEF2B539E4FD (resized).jpeg7E044DC5-0A6E-4975-9BC0-73CE8FAFDA34 (resized).jpeg7E044DC5-0A6E-4975-9BC0-73CE8FAFDA34 (resized).jpeg23C8322F-B106-404E-9CAC-9D748B528529 (resized).jpeg23C8322F-B106-404E-9CAC-9D748B528529 (resized).jpegEBB83524-1AF4-491F-B3CF-1907CAA902F8 (resized).jpegEBB83524-1AF4-491F-B3CF-1907CAA902F8 (resized).jpegC5556541-D050-4C04-B0F5-71104393C6A9 (resized).jpegC5556541-D050-4C04-B0F5-71104393C6A9 (resized).jpeg

#1612 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

Ok this was only my second pin ever and certainly a project. I’m super happy with how it turned out. Needed new sound ROMs, new power supply, decals, LEDs, pop targets, flippers and a whole bunch of playfield art work. Here’s a few before and after. I also cleaned up the lock down bar and back a bit because why not. Big thanks to wamonkey and JOEYDPINBALL for their help and input. Great community here. [quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good - great work….

I know you and I were doing a restore at the same time…

Good to be done just before XMas - right?

#1613 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Looks good - great work….
I know you and I were doing a restore at the same time…
Good to be done just before XMas - right?

Absolutely. We are actually having a big holiday party this weekend so having this done and next to my High Speed will be a blast. Such a fun game.

#1614 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

Absolutely. We are actually having a big holiday party this weekend so having this done and next to my High Speed will be a blast. Such a fun game.

I only get to the scene where I pull Murtaugh off the toilet about two times since it was finished. Funny after I resolved my flipper issue it has been nice and tweak / error free. Usually after a big restore I am tweaking little things for weeks but have not found much to tweak.

So - 90's fun...

#1615 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

So - 90's fun...

I think it's a really fun and underrate game.

#1616 2 years ago

Quick question: when the upper 3 drop targets are knocked down are they supposed to come up right away or do you have to knock down the lower right targets first. Mine only pop back up after knocking the lower right targets.

9D306047-6668-4D15-A52E-77A328A77E38 (resized).jpeg9D306047-6668-4D15-A52E-77A328A77E38 (resized).jpeg
#1617 2 years ago

All my targets were snapped off and I replaced them. Seems like the switches are dirty and not registering unless I push on the back of them. So, I’m assuming they’re supposed to go back up immediately after knocking all 3 down

#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Quick question: when the upper 3 drop targets are knocked down are they supposed to come up right away or do you have to knock down the lower right targets first. Mine only pop back up after knocking the lower right targets.
[quoted image]

I’m running Chad’s code. Mine stay down until all six are down. They then reset.

#1619 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

I’m running Chad’s code. Mine stay down until all six are down. They then reset.

Thank you. That’s some good info, before I start tearing it apart, lol

#1620 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:I’m running Chad’s code. Mine stay down until all six are down. They then reset.

So your settings are such that all six drop targets must be completed three times each to activate multiball? And 5 of six remain down until all six in both banks are completed?

#1621 2 years ago

SLAM's code:

Hit the middle clock target to start a timer, then hit either the red or blue wire as instructed. Hit the wrong wire and the bomb explodes. Don't hit any wire in time, and the bomb explodes. Hit the correct wire to collect the award and reset the bank. Successfully cut the correct wire 3 times to ready multiball.

Doesn't matter which target bank you shoot for, the rules are the same for both. The crazy fun part of the game is accidently cutting the wrong wire, which sets of the bomb, and resets your progress towards multiball back to zero (you need 3 correct wires in a row to ready multiball).

But this is SLAM's code.

#1622 2 years ago

Finally after 11 years of Research, I managed to find the original dome not broken

Screenshot_20211119-172934170_1 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211119-172934170_1 (resized).jpg
#1623 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Finally after 11 years of Research, I managed to find the original dome not broken[quoted image]

Should post that in "rare and prototype" parts thread.

#1624 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Should post that in "rare and prototype" parts thread.

I did not know the existence of that thread. I had lost all hope of being able to find it

#1625 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Finally after 11 years of Research, I managed to find the original dome not broken[quoted image]

That had to have been expensive!! It is super rare.

#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Holy sweet lord, HOW?!? WHERE?!?

I’m having a new issues today on my lethal weapon. I posted about my sound randomly resetting when the volume gets too loud, such as when multiball starts it keeps saying “we’re back in action!”

Now the left flipper is staying energized. In the middle of my game this morning when I fired up the arcade, the left flipper engaged and stayed on, low power, and when I opened the door I felt the coil and tried tugging the link. It’s not magnetized or bad stops, it’s definitely somehow staying energized, but the flipper button is open.

Any idea what could be causing such a strange issue?

#1627 2 years ago

Holy sweet lord, HOW?!? WHERE?!?
I’m having a new issues today on my lethal weapon. I posted about my sound randomly resetting when the volume gets too loud, such as when multiball starts it keeps saying “we’re back in action!”
Now the left flipper is staying energized. In the middle of my game this morning when I fired up the arcade, the left flipper engaged and stayed on, low power, and when I opened the door I felt the coil and tried tugging the link. It’s not magnetized or bad stops, it’s definitely somehow staying energized, but the flipper button is open.

On your flipper issue, look at the first 10 minutes of this video. He had a similar issue on his Data East "Hook" and traced it to the flipper board:

#1628 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Doveva essere costoso!! È super raro.

It's absurd but I found it from a guy who lives 1 hour from my house at a cost of 40 euros (about 45 dollars), there are a few superficial scratches but it is perfect

#1629 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

It's absurd but I found it from a guy who lives 1 hour from my house at a cost of 40 euros (about 45 dollars), there are a few superficial scratches but it is perfect

Keep it nice!! Mine had an original but it was dented and cracked at the very very top and not visible when the head is up.

#1630 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Keep it nice!! Mine had an original but it was dented and cracked at the very very top and not visible when the head is up.

My first dome is also broken at the top, as I will never sell the pinball, I will keep this dome in the best possible way

#1631 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

My first dome is also broken at the top, as I will never sell the pinball, I will keep this dome in the best possible way

Is it possible for someone State-side to acquire one of the rare NOS domes and send them to one of the ramp makers for them to make new plastic domes?

#1632 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

On your flipper issue, look at the first 10 minutes of this video. He had a similar issue on his Data East "Hook" and traced it to the flipper board:

I’m having the reverse issue that the flipper hold
power is locking ON. However his video seems to suggest maybe the transistor is locking on the flipper board. I’ll give it a check

Can someone with an original dome take some clear pictures of it with the plastic off? I don’t want to replace mine, I’ll get this one working. I think it’s missing some sort of connector between the reflector and the motor. It’s different than a Mars light.

#1633 2 years ago

Is it possible for someone State-side to acquire one of the rare NOS domes and send them to one of the ramp makers for them to make new plastic domes?

For many years I have been asking all spare parts manufacturers if it was possible to produce a replacement dome and never received a positive response. I never understood why

#1634 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

For many years I have been asking all spare parts manufacturers if it was possible to produce a replacement dome and never received a positive response. I never understood why

A lot of LW3 missing the whole assembly so the dome itself does little good. Add to the fact, auto blue lamp assemblies are only 20 to 30 dollars.. a new dome might actually be a very small market slice.

#1635 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

A lot of LW3 missing the whole assembly so the dome itself does little good. Add to the fact, auto blue lamp assemblies are only 20 to 30 dollars.. a new dome might actually be a very small market slice.

Luckily I have the original and fully functional mechanism of the flashing light. I was just missing the dome. I understand that only the dome could be a slice of the market not very large, but not too small either. All LW3 owners would like one, in my opinion

#1636 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Luckily I have the original and fully functional mechanism of the flashing light. I was just missing the dome. I understand that only the dome could be a slice of the market not very large, but not too small either. All LW3 owners would like one, in my opinion

Nope, I'm good with the aftermarket solution.

Mine had none at all when I purchased it.

#1637 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nope, I'm good with the aftermarket solution.
Mine had none at all when I purchased it.

Could someone post some pictures of what the official, original dome and mechanism look like? Installed and / or uninstalled.

#1638 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Could someone post some pictures of what the official, original dome and mechanism look like? Installed and / or uninstalled.

That what I was asking for above.

I’m having the reverse issue that the flipper hold
power is locking ON. However his video seems to suggest maybe the transistor is locking on the flipper board. I’ll give it a check
Can someone with an original dome take some clear pictures of it with the plastic off? I don’t want to replace mine, I’ll get this one working. I think it’s missing some sort of connector between the reflector and the motor. It’s different than a Mars light.

#1639 2 years ago

My LW3 stopped awarding extra balls. The ramp shots are registering and both ramp switches seem to be working. Is there a setting in the menu that I am missing that turns the extra ball options off? Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

#1640 2 years ago
Quoted from goofy1994:

My LW3 stopped awarding extra balls. The ramp shots are registering and both ramp switches seem to be working. Is there a setting in the menu that I am missing that turns the extra ball options off? Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

I know the entrance to the ramp switch doesn’t need to work to award your extra balls. I believe it’s calculated off the top ramp switch. Make sure the switch registers when a ball rolls through, not just your hand lifting it. If it does register, I’d then go to your settings. It might be awarding something other than extra ball

#1641 2 years ago

Something else that happens in the game regardless of what your settings are, is that the better you get and the more often you get the extra balls, the less often it will award them.

Default settings and no history will give you light extra ball after 3 shots up the ramp. Sometimes it'll go to 4 or 5 shots up the ramp and then it will settle at around 7 ramp shots. I've never found the exact setting or math formula responsible for varying it as I wondered about that too. Best I can tell is that you can't alter it to stay the same.

You pretty much have to take it as a good sign that you're having good games and it's making it harder for you.

#1642 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Something else that happens in the game regardless of what your settings are, is that the better you get and the more often you get the extra balls, the less often it will award them.
Default settings and no history will give you light extra ball after 3 shots up the ramp. Sometimes it'll go to 4 or 5 shots up the ramp and then it will settle at around 7 ramp shots. I've never found the exact setting or math formula responsible for varying it as I wondered about that too. Best I can tell is that you can't alter it to stay the same.
You pretty much have to take it as a good sign that you're having good games and it's making it harder for you.

If you're using chads updated code the extra ball ramps max out at 17, so after several good games EB will always light at 17 ramp shots. At first I thought it was excessive but the ramp shot is an easy one so hitting 17 in a good game is definitely doable.

#1643 2 years ago

Back in Action! Just got her finished up. Great game and looks good too.

046B03F2-B69E-4E26-BE42-DC2464376EAB (resized).jpeg046B03F2-B69E-4E26-BE42-DC2464376EAB (resized).jpegFA45AFB7-8908-4F2E-B116-622D15C68E18 (resized).jpegFA45AFB7-8908-4F2E-B116-622D15C68E18 (resized).jpeg
#1644 2 years ago

Swapped in a working flipper board, the rottendog replacement I had way back for my checkpoint.
Same issue.
Think I found the problem.

29F0C626-897D-4800-A25B-4170F23DAB43.jpeg29F0C626-897D-4800-A25B-4170F23DAB43.jpeg6E6B8998-F837-4584-9F0A-D39C2180D84E.jpeg6E6B8998-F837-4584-9F0A-D39C2180D84E.jpeg
#1645 2 years ago

Swapped in a working flipper board, the rottendog replacement I had way back for my checkpoint.
Same issue.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nope, thats all lamp matrix at least in the image posted.

#1646 2 years ago

1) Does the flipper stay on when the flipper board is unplugged?

#1647 2 years ago

Same issue.

Same issue.

I had a coil locking on (VUK) when I purchased my pin. I chased the issue for weeks. Only after buying a logic tester was I able to do some real trouble shooting. It turned out to be corrosion under the connector assembly. I had to desolder and clean up the board. That said, the most common cause is a shorted diode. You’ve got to dig into the schematics to troubleshoot your issue. If your coil isn’t blowing a fuse or melting diodes I’d say your flipper board is functioning correctly as it would seem to be switching to low voltage as a hold current which is correct response to a constant “on” command.

#1648 2 years ago

I finally got some time to really play my LW3. Really a fun game that gives me the “just one more game” mindset. Only thing I don’t like is the punching flipper button mini game.

#1649 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

I finally got some time to really play my LW3. Really a fun game that gives me the “just one more game” mindset. Only thing I don’t like is the punching flipper button mini game.

I'm not totally sure but if I remember correctly one can turn of video mode(s) in the adjustments. Maybe only possible in chads code

#1650 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

Check out my code update... this is a small part of it:

New Adjustment 31 - VIDEO MODES default is 03.
00 No Video Modes
01 Crime Simulator ON, Fight Mode OFF
02 Crime Simulator OFF, Fight Mode ON
03 All Video Modes ON

https://www.pinballcode.com/lw300

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,377 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one/page/33?hl=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.