(Topic ID: 72256)

DataEast - Lethal Weapon 3 (lw3) club - Join if you have one or haf one...

By mima

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,482 posts
  • 201 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 106 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 52 votes
    44%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 47 votes
    40%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 3 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 16 votes
    14%

(118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LW3 Manual Addendum.PDF (PDF preview)
20211009_130557 (resized).jpg
20211009_130241 (resized).jpg
IMG_3064 (resized).JPG
IMG_3063 (resized).JPG
helichopter (resized).JPG
20211006_172539 (resized).jpg
20211006_154320 (resized).jpg
20211006_150139 (resized).jpg
20211006_144051 (resized).jpg
ACAF4E57-A88B-4800-A7A0-FFA931B6B05F (resized).jpeg
E4290B8B-E827-461A-AE28-1BE1324C1659 (resized).jpeg
837DB77B-C1BD-4780-A3E1-07906E1D0C97 (resized).jpeg
9490CD85-0633-47EB-853D-BA6C885EB7D5 (resized).jpeg
F1124648-D498-4404-AF76-1E63E91F167B (resized).jpeg
A9AB78F3-01EF-46F8-9232-06C65B9C27CE (resized).jpeg

There are 1482 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 30.
#1401 39 days ago

I put a knocker on my lw3 and when I get enough points for a free ball it does not fire. I have yet to match to see if it works then. It works in test mode. Does it only fire when you get a free game?

#1402 39 days ago
Quoted from Don44:

I put a knocker on my lw3 and when I get enough points for a free ball it does not fire. I have yet to match to see if it works then. It works in test mode. Does it only fire when you get a free game?

Mine does the same thing, no adjustment that I see to turn it on or off. The only time I noticed it does it is if you get a replay which means you have to set the game award from extra ball or credit to replay.

#1403 39 days ago

Ok, thanks, too bad you can't change it in the adjustments.

#1404 37 days ago

I purchased a 866TLii EPROM programmer and installed the Chad 3.01 ROM today. Pretty neat code changes.

It was fun learning how the process of programming EPROM chips works. I’ll probably never use the device again but I’ve learned how to use a new tool!

The new code makes for a tougher game as the default setting requires you collect the saucers in order. Also 911 doesn’t spot by just shooting the orbit. I like the timed ball save, especially after shooting saucer 1.

#1405 37 days ago

Is there a way to adjust the left saucer to avoid those constant drains? I catch it with the tip of the left flipper but most casual players at the arcade get SDTM.

Also noticed a strange coincidence. My kickback works every time EXCEPT when I’m playing an extra ball, then it won’t activate. Happened 3 times now. Works before and after the extra ball but will not kicksave the extra ball.

Curious if the ramp is supposed to be backhandable? My flippers seem extremely strong, and they’ve already broken 3 drop targets, yet the ramp requires a PERFECT shot or it won’t go. Just checking if this is by design or maybe something’s wacky in the flippers.

#1406 37 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Is there a way to adjust the left saucer to avoid those constant drains? I catch it with the tip of the left flipper but most casual players at the arcade get SDTM.
Also noticed a strange coincidence. My kickback works every time EXCEPT when I’m playing an extra ball, then it won’t activate. Happened 3 times now. Works before and after the extra ball but will not kicksave the extra ball.
Curious if the ramp is supposed to be backhandable? My flippers seem extremely strong, and they’ve already broken 3 drop targets, yet the ramp requires a PERFECT shot or it won’t go. Just checking if this is by design or maybe something’s wacky in the flippers.

Depends how laid back your flippers are at rest. Check under the tips of them to see where you are relative to the alignment dots. If you want to do backhands (on any game, not just LW3), adjust the flippers so they are a little more turned up at rest and you'll hit backhand shots easier. You'll tend to change how well you can hit other shots from that flipper though so it's a trade-off.

#1407 37 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I try to give a forward nudge as saucer 1 ejects to avoid the drain. My ramp is tough to climb also. When I got the pin there were no levelers installed and you could easily shoot the ramp. I installed levelers and still could not get the table sloped to satisfy the bubble. I can only get 6 degrees. Even 6 degree slope made the ramp tough. Sticking blocks under the back legs to get 6.5 degrees and sorta center the bubble makes ramp shots way too tough on my pin. With the blocks removed I think I’ve arrived at a good compromise (6 degrees).

#1408 37 days ago

Guys, take a look at the new firmware, it gives you an additional drain timer for that saucer and all you have to do ks change out the rom. You also get a polished rule set as well!

#1409 37 days ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Guys, take a look at the new firmware, it gives you an additional drain timer for that saucer and all you have to do ks change out the rom. You also get a polished rule set as well!

I was going to mention that, the ChadH software has ball saver when you have a #1 eject.

#1410 37 days ago

Anyone got a video clip showing this #1 saucer ejecting it SDTM? Mine doesn’t do that. Maybe there’s a subtle variation on alignment or coil strength or something that could be adjusted instead of needing the ball save feature?

#1411 37 days ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Anyone got a video clip showing this #1 saucer ejecting it SDTM? Mine doesn’t do that. Maybe there’s a subtle variation on alignment or coil strength or something that could be adjusted instead of needing the ball save feature?

Could try tweaking the eject arm one direction or another.

#1412 37 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Could try tweaking the eject arm one direction or another.

Haha, I won't be... but the guys losing the ball right down the middle might want to! I'd like to see how this is though. Mine comes down in a way where you need to be careful on how you play it, but it always gives you the chance to play it. Never comes out and completely avoids the flipper. Games doing that sound like they have something out of adjustment on or under the playfield.

#1413 37 days ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Haha, I won't be... but the guys losing the ball right down the middle might want to! I'd like to see how this is though. Mine comes down in a way where you need to be careful on how you play it, but it always gives you the chance to play it. Never comes out and completely avoids the flipper. Games doing that sound like they have something out of adjustment on or under the playfield.

Mostly agree, can't say mine is a drainer but it gets close time to time.

#1414 35 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Mostly agree, can't say mine is a drainer but it gets close time to time.

Where does the #1 hole supposed to eject to? I have seen on many different pins the ball coming out on the left sling all the way over to right flipper.

After I adjusted the contact point of the eject arm to dead center on my pin, the ball goes to the right flipper every time. From there I can dead bounce over to the left, or drop catch and keep it on the right.

#1415 29 days ago

I built up a Pin2Dmd and installed it along with Malenko’s color files. This mod really is worth the effort. Looks great.

53818326-D43C-4331-915F-39356A864E10 (resized).jpeg
#1416 29 days ago

Well done!!! I have been working on the colorization for last action hero. Another GREAT DE!!

U can pull the fuse on your high voltage board now as well, not sure if necessary but the hv section is no longer in use.

#1417 29 days ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Well done!!! I have been working on the colorization for last action hero. Another GREAT DE!!
U can pull the fuse on your high voltage board now as well, not sure if necessary but the hv section is no longer in use.

I sure hope Freezy comes out with a 64 color DLL for VPins. Until then you guys operating in the 64 color world have me iced out. ;(

1 week later
#1418 18 days ago

Hello everyone! I just got a LW3!!! It's in "meh" shape, and mostly works. Some of the solenoids are not working and I see it constantly blowing F6. I am not too familiar with servicing pins (actually I have practically no experience). Is there a place I should start to check? I went and disconnected J2 and the fuse did not blow. So I believe its related to that board (whatever it does), but I don't know what I should be looking at there!

#1419 18 days ago

Does anyone happen to have an extra rear plastic? It's the mirrored one that mounts at the back of the cabinet above the playfield. Mine cracked, and the mirrored finish peeled off ...

plastic #1 (resized).jpgplastic #2 (resized).jpg
#1420 18 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Does anyone happen to have an extra rear plastic? It's the mirrored one that mounts at the back of the cabinet above the playfield. Mine cracked, and the mirrored finish peeled off ...[quoted image][quoted image]

I could use a new one too - so if anyone has a lead on it please add me to the list.

#1421 17 days ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Hello everyone! I just got a LW3!!! It's in "meh" shape, and mostly works. Some of the solenoids are not working and I see it constantly blowing F6. I am not too familiar with servicing pins (actually I have practically no experience). Is there a place I should start to check? I went and disconnected J2 and the fuse did not blow. So I believe its related to that board (whatever it does), but I don't know what I should be looking at there!

Unsolder the brown wire (single wire) from all your non working solenoids and see if fuse still blows. Then use voltmeter to see if those unsoldered wires have continuity to ground strap or GND test point on one of your boards. I bet you have some bad coils and destroyed transistors and diodes. Very often the issue you describe.

#1422 17 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Does anyone happen to have an extra rear plastic? It's the mirrored one that mounts at the back of the cabinet above the playfield. Mine cracked, and the mirrored finish peeled off ...[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm on the edge of ordering more product for my current project and I'll order extra and run off a few LW3 mirror pieces.

Gary

Edit: Supplies ordered.

23c1fcd0676a192cf4619e9037e566fbdec6e346 (resized).jpg40420b41b604cc014bf6d079d328fadd0bd43b4a (resized).jpga9b9b92f078757b28b21203a77d7c3fe6106f408 (resized).jpg

#1423 16 days ago

gdonovan 's replacements are perfect, you won't be disappointed.

#1424 14 days ago

My dmd driver was broken so replaced it, but the dmd wont turn on when i put the lw3 display roms in (works fine with another games roms).

Could the dipswitches on the board be the culprit, cant find any info on what theyre for?? (Not mentioned in the manual)

What are they for?

#1425 14 days ago
Quoted from eckelpeckel:

My dmd driver was broken so replaced it, but the dmd wont turn on when i put the lw3 display roms in (works fine with another games roms).
Could the dipswitches on the board be the culprit, cant find any info on what theyre for?? (Not mentioned in the manual)
What are they for?

Three display ROM’s? Mine has ROM 0 and ROM 3. Some only have one display ROM. You can see my dip switch positions. Also if your board was 1 rom and now you have two or vice versa there is a resistor that has to be altered. I know Chad describes it on his Pinballcode.com site.
608DB4C8-926A-46A6-ADE4-3E68A4FFCB5B (resized).jpeg

#1426 14 days ago

You can see my dip switches in the above pic.

#1427 13 days ago

Thanx buddy!

I have all my dips off too and r11 resistor in place so proboably faulty roms then.

#1428 13 days ago
Quoted from Malenko:

gdonovan 's replacements are perfect, you won't be disappointed.

Supplies came in yesterday, I'll be working on them in a day or two.

#1429 13 days ago
Quoted from bushav:

Three display ROM’s? Mine has ROM 0 and ROM 3. Some only have one display ROM. You can see my dip switch positions. Also if your board was 1 rom and now you have two or vice versa there is a resistor that has to be altered. I know Chad describes it on his Pinballcode.com site.
[quoted image]

Note: Data East DMD board was made with the optional use of dip switches to control
country of origin language. The mother CPU would read the dip switch settings as to what
language to install/display. It was never implemented, and would have consumed a lot of
DMD ROM space... Later revision DMD boards had the dip switch feature removed.

#1430 13 days ago
Quoted from eckelpeckel:

Thanx buddy!
I have all my dips off too and r11 resistor in place so proboably faulty roms then.

I can reprogram them if you are in USA and mail to me with return label. No charge.

PM me if you need me to try and resurrect the chips for you.

#1431 13 days ago

Thanx for the offer buddy, really appreciate it!

Im located in Sweden tho so will try to find someone more local to me, proboably upgrade to a single rom version too so i can use the board more easily between all my games.

#1432 12 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Supplies came in yesterday, I'll be working on them in a day or two.

Please put me down for one of the mirrored back pieces as well!

#1433 12 days ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Please put me down for one of the mirrored back pieces as well!

Just a heads-up to anyone who is waiting on one of these. I sent my broken one to gdonovan so that he can use it as a template. It was supposed to arrive at his home yesterday, but now the tracking website no longer shows an estimated delivery date. You gotta love the USPS!

#1434 12 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Just a heads-up to anyone who is waiting on one of these. I sent my broken one to gdonovan so that he can use it as a template. It was supposed to arrive at his home yesterday, but now the tracking website no longer shows an estimated delivery date. You gotta love the USPS!

Yup, yup.

I have the current one based off my machine but it was missing the original mirror altogether and would like to make one with even tighter tolerance on the new fitment. Every once in a while someone would have to make a slight adjustment with a file and I'd like to eliminate that if possible. Variations from machine to machine, but still.. making the best part you can is always my goal if I'm going to do something.

#1435 12 days ago

Lighted flippers in my new Lethal Weapon 3

837DB77B-C1BD-4780-A3E1-07906E1D0C97 (resized).jpeg9490CD85-0633-47EB-853D-BA6C885EB7D5 (resized).jpegA9AB78F3-01EF-46F8-9232-06C65B9C27CE (resized).jpegF1124648-D498-4404-AF76-1E63E91F167B (resized).jpegFBAAF761-BC83-4421-A306-2A4D2F8D55FE (resized).jpeg
#1437 12 days ago

So cool! I just received LED flipper buttons “red”. Didn’t even know flippers existed.

I’m going to try to powder coat my own armor. Yellow or Blue? I’ve ordered both colors in metallic.

E4290B8B-E827-461A-AE28-1BE1324C1659 (resized).jpeg
#1438 12 days ago

Anyone else notice this on their game? Danny Glover apparently has a 5 foot long dick. Haha

ACAF4E57-A88B-4800-A7A0-FFA931B6B05F (resized).jpeg
#1439 12 days ago

Where'd you get the lighted flipper bats? How exactly are they set up like that?

#1441 11 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Where'd you get the lighted flipper bats? How exactly are they set up like that?

A fellow pinsider makes them. They are injected with a substance that makes them tougher than a regular flipper, yet weigh the same. They connect to the Gi via a supplied LED bulb.

#1442 11 days ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

A fellow pinsider makes them. They are injected with a substance that makes them tougher than a regular flipper, yet weigh the same. They connect to the Gi via a supplied LED bulb.

Thanks! Looks great.

#1443 11 days ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Anyone else notice this on their game? Danny Glover apparently has a 5 foot long dick. Haha
[quoted image]

Nope, but now I can't unsee it! His pose also suggests he's doing some heavy lifting. Hilarious

#1444 11 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yup, yup.
I have the current one based off my machine but it was missing the original mirror altogether and would like to make one with even tighter tolerance on the new fitment.

I still have my broken one I can send you if that one disappears into the ether.

#1445 11 days ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I still have my broken one I can send you if that one disappears into the ether.

The post office has indicated will be in today!

I have to spray the head of my Seawitch Frankenstein after work, while the paint is setting up I'll see if I can run off a bunch of mirrors.

#1446 11 days ago

Clearly DO NOT BEND means nothing to postal employees.

Nonetheless it will do for our purposes.

20211006_144051 (resized).jpg
#1447 11 days ago

Four blanks ready, 2 coats down.

20211006_150139 (resized).jpg20211006_154320 (resized).jpg
#1448 11 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Clearly DO NOT BEND means nothing to postal employees.

Nonetheless it will do for our purposes.

Wow! Late AND broken. They're 2 for 2. Talk about ineptitude. I guess we should just be happy it made it there at all.

#1449 11 days ago

gdonovan question:

I am ready to start the restoration of my LW3 cab now that the electronics are repaired. I have the decal kit in blue so I don’t have to be terribly concerned with repainting every nook of the cab. I want to repair dings with bondo, then apply a couple of coats of blue before vinyl application.

The question is how hard was it to completely separate the head and playfield from the cabinet? Is it all molex connectors or did you have to snip wires?

I am debating separating and using spray gun or taping off and using brush and roller.

Thanks
Lane

#1450 11 days ago
Quoted from bushav:

gdonovan question:
I am ready to start the restoration of my LW3 cab now that the electronics are repaired. I have the decal kit in blue so I don’t have to be terribly concerned with repainting every nook of the cab. I want to repair dings with bondo, then apply a couple of coats of blue before vinyl application.
The question is how hard was it to completely separate the head and playfield from the cabinet? Is it all molex connectors or did you have to snip wires?
I am debating separating and using spray gun or taping off and using brush and roller.
Thanks
Lane

All molex connectors, no snipping.

You can do a great job without taking head off, see mine here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one/page/15#post-5546246

There are 1482 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 30.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside