Topic Stats

• 2,361 posts
  • 265 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 minutes ago by harig
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 54 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6406 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6402 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6403 (resized).JPEG
IMG_2002 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,361 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 48.
#1301 2 years ago

Thanks Chad I'll check into that. Two questions:

Are there any reasonable power board replacement options? The guy I usually have do my board work is.... Overwhelmed.

Is there any way, less of plugging it into another DE game which I don't have, to test and see if the DMD itself is good? My seller told me to let him know if it ended up needing replaced and he'd get it done. But if it's good I don't want to even mention it.

#1302 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Thanks Chad I'll check into that. Two questions:
Are there any reasonable power board replacement options? The guy I usually have do my board work is.... Overwhelmed.
Is there any way, less of plugging it into another DE game which I don't have, to test and see if the DMD itself is good? My seller told me to let him know if it ended up needing replaced and he'd get it done. But if it's good I don't want to even mention it.

https://xpinpinball.com/
They have some good product.

Edit, I see they are out of that particular power supply.

#1304 2 years ago

Just brought one of these and the dmd isn't working (wasn't when I showed up either). How do I determine if it's the dmd itself or something else? Everything else seems to function okay on this. I have 4.73V on the power plug for the controller board.
[quoted image]

Looks like some of your insert light are out also. Top of the wire harness area at CN8 looks burnt on your board and the wire harness wires look wrong compared to mine. I have a wire on that top pin . I think if you buy the board Chad recommended you will be good to go there and fix that harness to have the correct wiring. I actually just replaced the same board myself.

Also you should be able to take your dmd out of another Stern in your collection and pull the board off and swap the dmd to try in another machine. I just did this with a Austin Powers DMD from a LW3 but thats whitestar to DE and your going whitestar to SAM so Im not 100% sure on that.

#1305 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Looks like some of your insert light are out also. Top of the wire harness area at CN8 looks burnt on your board and the wire harness wires look wrong compared to mine. I have a wire on that top pin . I think if you buy the board Chad recommended you will be good to go there and fix that harness to have the correct wiring. I actually just replaced the same board myself.
Also you should be able to take your dmd out of another Stern in your collection and pull the board off and swap the dmd to try in another machine. I just did this with a Austin Powers DMD from a LW3 but thats whitestar to DE and your going whitestar to SAM so Im not 100% sure on that.

Inserts are good on it, they were just off in that particular pic as he was playing for some reason.

The board definitely has issues and either needs fixed or replaced, I just don't know if the dmd also has problems. There's no way the dmd could cause a new or repaired power board to present new issues? I'm fine with dealing with one issue and moving to the next, just want to make sure I don't spend money and then immediately break what I replace because I didn't do my due diligence in verifying something.

#1306 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find this part circled? It's the shooter lane gun piece. I am having no luck finding one.

58f8ad74f9b3c85178db40b7c51d8d9210ddd922 (resized).jpeg58f8ad74f9b3c85178db40b7c51d8d9210ddd922 (resized).jpeg
#1307 2 years ago

Inserts are good on it, they were just off in that particular pic as he was playing for some reason.
The board definitely has issues and either needs fixed or replaced, I just don't know if the dmd also has problems. There's no way the dmd could cause a new or repaired power board to present new issues? I'm fine with dealing with one issue and moving to the next, just want to make sure I don't spend money and then immediately break what I replace because I didn't do my due diligence in verifying something.

Buying a PIN2DMD and hoping that fixes my issues. If the only section of the power supply with issues is the DMD portion then an LED display should be fine...I hope. Game plays great otherwise.

Bottom portion (the easy part!) is looking good. Still a lot of work to do.

I don't suppose anyone has any of the pieces shown in the latter pics--they don't need to be perfect. Discards from a replacement, etc, would be just fine. I'm referencing specifically the rear left plastic, the helicopter plastic, one target sticker (maybe someone bought a set and didn't need them all?), and the mirror.

PXL_20210502_223555902 (resized).jpgPXL_20210502_223555902 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_153526433 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_153526433 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154057199 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154057199 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154212460 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154212460 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154232470 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154232470 (resized).jpg

PXL_20210503_154113778 (resized).jpgPXL_20210503_154113778 (resized).jpg
#1308 2 years ago

do you know if there's a store that ships @chad's 3.01 roms to Europe (Italy)?
thanks

EDIT: just bought from Matt's Basement Arcade

#1309 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Does anyone know where I can find this part circled? It's the shooter lane gun piece. I am having no luck finding one.
[quoted image]

OUCH!
More vintage Data East parts that you would never think would be missing.
LW3 have been scrapped...that is a tough call.
#500-5492-00
Maybe one of the Ramp guys could make the form part?

#1310 2 years ago

i need a little help with my new lw3. first question is it normal to see 53vdc at my launcher coil wires while a game is not in play or the triger has not been pulled? back story here, i brought it home and never got to play it because the launcher coil had melted. i also noticed some bad spots on the ppb so i replaced that board with a rottondog ppb and a new coil. it seamed to fix it and it played fine for about 45 min and then the coil smoked and i found q4 on the ppb had shorted. i put a new rotton dog power supply in it and replaced q4 on the board. im waiting on another new coil but just threw my meter across the coil wires and noticed the 53v while not in play. i hate throwing parts at a problem so any direction would help greatly.

#1311 2 years ago

Done for now! A few more touches (and a new PIN2DMD) and it'll be on the market for the next guy. Fun game, in spite of the super cheese callouts and music.

PXL_20210504_154300565.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210504_154300565.MP (resized).jpg
#1312 2 years ago

chad have you got a list of the new Audit & Adjustments according to latest 3.01 version?
Thanks

#1313 2 years ago
Quoted from Blamer:

chad have you got a list of the new Audit & Adjustments according to latest 3.01 version?
Thanks

https://www.pinballcode.com/lw300

#1314 2 years ago

Thanks for the link, I was thinking about a merge between original and new chad's settings.
If it doesn't already exist I'll try writing it

#1315 2 years ago

So I just saw the Chad code. Where can one purchase these ROMs as I do not have a way to burn them?

#1316 2 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

So I just saw the Chad code. Where can one purchase these ROMs as I do not have a way to burn them?

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-data-east-cpu-display-rom-chip-set/

#1317 2 years ago

Chads code is great, and the latest pin2dmd files work with it as well.

#1318 2 years ago

Got my pin2dmd today and I'm super confused. How do any of these cables go with this?!

PXL_20210512_165250808 (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_165250808 (resized).jpg

I'm assuming the two plugs on the far left are unneeded as power is supplied differently but the ribbon cable has me really confused.

#1319 2 years ago

Got my pin2dmd today and I'm super confused. How do any of these cables go with this?!
[quoted image]
I'm assuming the two plugs on the far left are unneeded as power is supplied differently but the ribbon cable has me really confused.

Do you have a similarly looking circuit board that came off the back of your original DMD? You will need to reuse it. The PIN2DMD still needs whatever it is that that board does. Yes the connections are slightly different and it gets powered differently. I got my display supplier guy to make me up a special little harness for that power wiring that lets you connect to the big connector up on the leftside of the backbox circuit boards while still plugging in the original connector on top of it. Then that power plug comes down and feeds into the circuit board you put back on the new display. I believe my ribbon cable went into the new display just like it did on the old one. It was really just the power wiring that changes.

Looking at your photo, that wider ribbon cable is for something else.

IMG_3065 (resized).JPGIMG_3065 (resized).JPGIMG_3067 (resized).JPGIMG_3067 (resized).JPG
#1320 2 years ago

Ha, I figured it out shortly after making that post. I thought I got it deleted but I guess not.

As you said, kinda need the controller board plugged in..... Lol

Project complete! Only two things left really: replace the one missing drop sticker and secure the DMD a bit better (going to use the mounts from the speakers and some metal brackets... ALL of my dmd mounts are broken, ugh!). Then it's time to move on to a new home now that it's nice and clean.

PXL_20210512_215811091.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_215811091.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_215820326.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_215820326.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_231847949.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_231847949.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_231851978.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_231851978.MP (resized).jpg
#1322 2 years ago

I traded mine away a few days ago for a Dr. Dude (I added some cash).

I kinda miss it. It’s a very fun and underrated game. I’ll probably own one again eventually.

What Leo wants.......

#1323 2 years ago
Quoted from prl867:

I kinda miss it. It’s a very fun and underrated game. I’ll probably own one again eventually.
What Leo wants.......

Oh man I'd take LW3 over dude every time. I love the simple cheesy fun factor of lw3, I think I'll miss this one too. Alas, only room for 7 and black knight sword of rage comes next week.... It is what it is. I'm just happy to have made one breathe again.

#1324 2 years ago
Quoted from prl867:

What Leo wants.......

Damn is dr dude worth so much now?

Of a similar era, i had a really clean rocky and bullwinkle and traded it for a nascar.

#1325 2 years ago

Glad to see my colorization still making the rounds, makes me happy.

#1326 2 years ago

Refurbishing a LW3 for a friend of mine for his first pin. The translite I have is poor, and the repro I also have is not much better. Does anyone have a spare original translite in good condition they would be willing to sell??

D0BBBDFE-E54C-424F-8AAD-980BB5BB0771 (resized).jpegD0BBBDFE-E54C-424F-8AAD-980BB5BB0771 (resized).jpeg
#1328 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

ebay.com link: itm

Not a great product.

#1329 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not a great product.

Agreed, that's why I'm looking for an original, the one that is with it is the repro and while better than nothing.....let's just leave it there.

1 week later
#1330 2 years ago

I started having a problem with my pin: the background music suddenly stops playing (sometimes after a crack sound) and after a while the game resets.
It keeps happening more often day after day.

what should I do? do you know if there's a chip responsible for the background music I should check for?

Thanks for any advises!

Added over 3 years ago:

EDIT: it was a power supply problem

1 month later
#1331 2 years ago

Can someone take some measurements of the shorter mirrored backpanel above the 3 flash lamps? Mine is missing of course so I'm just going to make one.

#1332 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Can someone take some measurements of the shorter mirrored backpanel above the 3 flash lamps? Mine is missing of course so I'm just going to make one.

If you can be patient, I'm trying to run off another batch soon.

#1333 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If you can be patient, I'm trying to run off another batch soon.

Been patient, but I have a project for a friend of mine that is wrapping up in the next couple of weeks........

#1334 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Agreed, that's why I'm looking for an original, the one that is with it is the repro and while better than nothing.....let's just leave it there.

I got an awesome repro from Arcadeoverlays. Not sure if there still doing these but the translite quality was perfect and great colors. Was a bit of a pain to buy as they originally wouldn't ship to Australia but managed to order to it via Florida.

Old translite in far away pic. New translite in close-ups.

20210629_120714 (resized).jpg20210629_120714 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200919-122949_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200919-122949_Gallery (resized).jpg20210629_120647 (resized).jpg20210629_120647 (resized).jpg
#1335 2 years ago

I think I just found the problem. 20210628_101248 (resized).jpg20210628_101248 (resized).jpg

And another. 20210628_151929 (resized).jpg20210628_151929 (resized).jpg

#1336 2 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

I got an awesome repro from Arcadeoverlays. Not sure if there still doing these but the translite quality was perfect and great colors. Was a bit of a pain to buy as they originally wouldn't ship to Australia but managed to order to it via Florida.

Appreciate it, I was able to find one from another LW3 owner who had a NOS spare one.

#1337 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Appreciate it, I was able to find one from another LW3 owner who had a NOS spare one.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really good.

Out of curiosity, how do they ship this kind of thing?

I get a little confused with the terms backglass and translite and what thickness these are and whether it's the thin thing that could be rolled into a tube (like a poster or art print might be) or whether it's the thick one that would have to be shipped in a large square box?

When the seller says it is 3 mm thick, does that mean this is the one you use directly in the backbox by putting the four plastic trim pieces along the sides? Or is this the one that you put behind a clear sheet of glass (or plexiglass) and then hold it in place to that glass using the four plastic trim pieces?

I would like to get a replacement for my LW3 and my current one is the kind where the image is put right on the glass itself. So I couldn't reuse it. I could take the plastic trim pieces off and reuse them, but not the glass part.

#1338 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

That looks really good.
I get a little confused with the terms backglass and translite and what thickness these are and whether it's the thin thing that could be rolled into a tube (like a poster or art print might be) or whether it's the thick one that would have to be shipped in a large square box?
When the seller says it is 3 mm thick, does that mean this is the one you use directly in the backbox by putting the four plastic trim pieces along the sides? Or is this the one that you put behind a clear sheet of glass (or plexiglass) and then hold it in place to that glass using the four plastic trim pieces?
I would like to get a replacement for my LW3 and my current one is the kind where the image is put right on the glass itself. So I couldn't reuse it. I could take the plastic trim pieces off and reuse them, but not the glass part.

Backglass: Art is printed or silkscreened directly onto glass.

Translite: Art is printed on "plastic" sheet and held in place with trim pieces to normal glass panel.

LW3 uses translite and I have seen them stick to the glass but it is a translite nonetheless.

Trivia: The last Data East pin to use a backglass was Checkpoint.

#1339 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

That looks really good.

Arcade overlays shipped that translite flat between cardboard. I have also received a translite rolled in a postage tube. Both came through fine but in my opinion the tube felt like a safer option to avoid damage in the post.

#1340 2 years ago

Alright fellow LethalWeaponites, my basket case LW3 is coming along, however I've run across a piece of plastic in the box of parts that I cannot figure out where it goes...looks homemade.

Any help would be appreciated!!

FD1FB240-4AA1-4972-8F0D-E905F7363A10.jpegFD1FB240-4AA1-4972-8F0D-E905F7363A10.jpeg
#1341 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Alright fellow LethalWeaponites, my basket case LW3 is coming along, however I've run across a piece of plastic in the box of parts that I cannot figure out where it goes...looks homemade.
Any help would be appreciated!![quoted image]

Looks like inside the building.

20210630_100728 (resized).jpg20210630_100728 (resized).jpg20210630_100759 (resized).jpg20210630_100759 (resized).jpg
#1342 2 years ago

Looks like inside the building.[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome, thanks for the help!!

#1343 2 years ago

No wonder I couldn’t figure out the layout of the backbox wiring harness on my LW3 basket case: A special THANK YOU Mr. Data East Engineer for putting in the sound board and PPB board upside down!!!

#1344 2 years ago

Who does the best quality cabinet decals for Lethal Weapon 3? I brought a set last year that were awful. The colours were miles off and the image quality was poor. Would only want to do the decals if I can find one's that are really high quality with the right colours especially the blue.
20180924_124318 (resized).jpg20180924_124318 (resized).jpg

#1345 2 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

Who does the best quality cabinet decals for Lethal Weapon 3? I brought a set last year that were awful. The colours were miles off and the image quality was poor. Would only want to do the decals if I can find one's that are really high quality with the right colours especially the blue.
[quoted image]

If it helps on the artwork side of things I have put up a photo of the Retrorefurbs black lethal weapon. Just like repro plastic sets the artwork is a little off from the screen printed original but this seems seems be standard across all decals I have seen and once the whole cabinet is done you will not notice it. I can understand color matching the blue is not going to be easy. I had this problem on a Tales from the crypt and part of the reason I went black for the Lethal refurb.

In regards to quality I can only compare Retro-refurbs with pinball.centre out of Germany. I was happy with the artwork provided by both. Twister detailing was very good and the colors vibrant. Same can be said for retro refurbs. The only difference was in the thickness of the decal itself. Retro refurbs was thicker and felt more expensive but I have noticed some minor shrinking. Maybe 1.5mm around the edges after about 6 months. Having said that the thinner material provided by pinball centre looks great, very smooth (as long as you do all the required prep) and hasn't shrunk at all. Potentially retrorefurbs will take more punishment in the long run.

Hopefully this helps.

Quoted from Andypc:

[quoted image]

20210705_200338 (resized).jpg20210705_200338 (resized).jpg20210705_200243 (resized).jpg20210705_200243 (resized).jpg
#1346 2 years ago

The blue set I got were from Retro Refurbs. I was hoping there might be a better option?

1 week later
#1347 2 years ago

I’ve just finished a LW3 will all Comet NoGhost (NG) LEDs in the inserts and start button), yet one LED (LW1) causes flickering and ghosting with one of the pop bumper lights. Remove that LW1 LED the flickering goes away. Tried another NG LED, same result, regular LED same result, even replaced the diode 1N4004 on the socket to no avail.

Any ideas/suggestions??? Yes, I know LED OCD is an option, but really want to solve this without going down that path.

2 weeks later
#1348 2 years ago

My new to me LW3 does not have the plastic with the cat on it. Anyone have one left over they will be willing to sell. I’m also missing the air ball preventer plastic that goes under it but I think I can fabricate that one. My mounting posts aren’t tall enough to accept those two pieces but I’ll just have to fabricate posts and spacers.

#1349 2 years ago
Quoted from bushav:

My new to me LW3 does not have the plastic with the cat on it. Anyone have one left over they will be willing to sell. I’m also missing the air ball preventer plastic that goes under it but I think I can fabricate that one. My mounting posts aren’t tall enough to accept those two pieces but I’ll just have to fabricate posts and spacers.

Found the piece of plastic with the cat artwork.

#1350 2 years ago

Hey guys, recently purchased this title and just one thing left to fix (for now).

The siren topper lights up but doesn’t spin. Anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
There are 2,361 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one/page/27?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.