• Latest reply 6 years ago by JeffF
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170827_184629 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a 1991 Batman data east. After owning it for awhile I noticed I was never getting any knocking when I won free games.

Opened her up and behold just an empty space where the knocker should be. I ordered one up, screwed it down and soldered it in.

Now my f5 fuse is blowing (which causes the flippers not to work).

Any ideas on why I can't have functioning flippers and that wonderfully obnoxious sound when I do good?

#Batman Data East

#2 6 years ago

Did you wire the coil correctly with respect to the banded side of the diode (if it has one)?

#3 6 years ago

Not totally sure what your talking about. Can you see in this picture? Thx

IMG_20170827_184629 (resized).jpgIMG_20170827_184629 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

See the little black cylinder thing between the wiring terminals? That's the diode. It has a gray band on the left. If you open up the playfield, you'll likely see some other coils that have a yellow wire with purple stripes, just like the yellow/purple wire going to the knocker coil. Note which side of the diode the yellow/purple wire goes to--it'll be either on the side of the diode with the gray band or the un-banded side. You want to make sure the wiring on the knocker coil is oriented the same way. In fact, if you find another coil with the yellow/purple wire, snap a pic of it and post it here.

#5 6 years ago

I think the wiring was put on the wrong sides of the diode on the coil, the more I'm looking into this. Power should attach to banded side of the diode, ground on non-banded side. It looks like they're reversed to me. You'll have to check another coil under the playfield with a yellow-purple wire (as I'm *pretty sure* that's the DC power supply for many of the coils) and compare how it's wired in relation to the diode. If you find all the other yellow-purple wires are on the banded side of the diode on the other coils, then we know it was wired wrong. If it was wired wrong, it most likely fried the transistor on the driver board.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

(as I'm *pretty sure* that's the DC power supply for many of the coils)

Agree 100% here. The yellow/purple wire is definitely the power wire. You can tell just by the gauge (thicker wire is almost always the power). Banded side of the diode should be soldered to the power side to dampen the EMF spike that occurs when the coil is deactivated. You most likely blew your transistor as well. Might want to check the pre-driving transistor while you're at it.

#7 6 years ago

I switched the wires, so that the yellow wire is now on the left side and the purple is on the right.

Burned up another fuse, so I disconnect it.

Any other ideas? Or did I misunderstand what y'all are saying?

Thx

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Zipofxul:

Burned up another fuse, so I disconnect it.

Since you had the coil wired in incorrectly, I think you may have fried that transistor, and now once you flip the game on, the fried transistor locks the coil and burns up the fuse.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Since you had the coil wired in incorrectly, I think you may have fried that transistor, and now once you flip the game on, the fried transistor locks the coil and burns up the fuse.

Agree also possible that you ruined the new coil if you have a meter check it before fixing the transistor. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to check a pinball coil if you want some help.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

if you have a meter check it before fixing the transistor.

Set it to ohms/resistance. One black lead on one side, red lead on the other. Anything under 2 ohms is bad.

#11 6 years ago

Only reading 0.7 ohms

So I trashed the coil and need a new one right?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Zipofxul:

So I trashed the coil and need a new one right?

It sure sounds like it. Just to be double-sure, test it out of circuit buy desoldering a wire.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Zipofxul:

Only reading 0.7 ohms

Cut one side of the diode off the coil as it maybe the only thing bad. Retest the coil.

#14 6 years ago

Put new coil in, triple checked that the bigger wire was on banded side.

Blew the fuse again very quickly.

#15 6 years ago

With a good fuse in place, does the coil activate immediately when you turn on the game or start a game? If yes, likely a blown transistor.

#16 6 years ago

No, didn't make any knocking, but it was real hot when I disconnected it

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Zipofxul:

but it was real hot when I disconnected it

Tell tale sign the coil is locked on. You should really investigate your driver board after you determine the condition of that coil (I'm also betting it's probably roasted) But still follow Grumpy's excellent advice and clip the diode to make sure that it also doesn't have a dead short. I'm willing to bet you have a fried transistor. If you have the manual, it should tell you what transistor drives the knocker.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Zipofxul:

No, didn't make any knocking, but it was real hot when I disconnected it

Does the plunger move freely by hand within the coil? If not, it could be locking on and you don't here the "knock" because the plunger isn't moving thru the coil normally.

#19 6 years ago

If im reading the manual right, check q4 transistor. Its a tip36c. I am pretty sure that is the knocker driver

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

If im reading the manual right, check q4 transistor. Its a tip36c. I am pretty sure that is the knocker driver

Yep, Q4 is for the knocker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Apex, NC
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-knocker-blowing-f5-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.