5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Scoot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I'm trying to help someone in town with a problem he has been having with his Rocky and Bullwinkle machine. The DMD seems to have a delay updating the screen and will occasionally go black for 10 or 20 seconds at a time. Ive seen bad ribbon cables cause similar problems in the past but he has already replaced it.

I know the problem isnt with the Dmd or the controller board itself as I swapped known working ones in.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at or focusing on?

#2 5 years ago

Have you tried a new set of ROMs for the display? I had an R&B in which the DMD would freeze up only at the hat trick animation. It would then go blank indefinitely or eventually catch back up to the correct image.
    Just a thought.
    A new ROM chip fixed it up

#3 5 years ago

The display driver board could be freezing due to a low 5v power supply. Check the voltage at the connector for that board, ideally it should be 5v if not slightly higher.

#4 5 years ago

yes. I believe he changed the cpu and dispIay roms. in addition, i swapped a different dmd panel in its place and the problem was still there.

#5 5 years ago

Ya I bet it is the 5v issue. The dmd displays are real touchy if they don’t get exactly 5v. I would look at the dmd 5v power cable and try to reseat it (CN2 I believe). Do the same with the high voltage cable and all the ribbon cables for good measure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-dmd-delay-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.