Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tomass
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Director.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Got a game in doing some funky stuff. Anyway, long story short, I've narrowed it down to a direct short to ground on D3 of the driver board. There doesn't seem to be any bridged connection that I can see on the back of the ribbon cable pins or any of the chips. Not sure the best way to narrow down where the culprit is because they are all daisy chained and with it a direct short to ground, they all read that way.

Figured I'd post here to see if any ideas before taking things out of circuit to narrow down.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks, Chris! That's what I was thinking. This has got to be a pretty rare thing to happen. I've had hands on hundreds of WPC machines and this is the first time I've come across it.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bakerman:

All of the above, then when I have an issue like this (short on data or adress bus, or loading of a line on a bus), I make a list of all the chips involved, and, one at a time, snip the relevent chip leg (D3 in your case). Then measure to see if the short or load has gone. The trick is to not snip the leg at the chip package, but half way down the leg. In this way a little blob of solder can be used to remake the connection after you have found the faulty chip.
    Takes a little time but I have done it on many boards when there is no other choice, and is better than removing whole chips.
    P.S. Remove socketed chips on the bus first of course!

I thought this might be an option! Glad to hear like it sounds a possibility, will definitely be a lot quicker than desoldering chips until I get to the culprit.

As for the "funky" stuff -- one solenoid locked on, an array of controlled lamps locked on and not strobing. Has an awful hum from the sound board too, but I think that is unrelated, but who knows, it could be dragging the data line low across the whole system and could knock that out too. But, I think that is more likely a bad joint on the DCS caps.

#9 1 year ago

Found it -- U12 (well, the last of the bad ones that finally cleared the path on the line). Something must have spiked through this game at some point though because multiple of the U1-U5 LS374s were also still bad when snipped. Going to just go ahead and replace all of the ones I snipped with new sockets and chips so it'll look clean. 6 chips in total. Wish I knew the history on this one and what led it to this point.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider The_Director.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-line-short-to-ground-on-wpc-driver-board?tu=The_Director and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.