Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinballManiac40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

018.JPG
017.JPG
016.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here.

I've had a Royal Rumble in my collection for a few years now, with minimal issues. Yesterday, I opened up the backbox to check on a bulb not working. After putting everything back together, my display isn't coming on. I've looked this over 100 times and can't find anything that stands out as wrong.
I'm not an electronics guy, so I haven't tried anything super techy. I have though swapped out the ribbons and reseated all the other plugs to no avail. Can someone take a gander at my attached photos and see if anything looks out of the norm?
Before this happened, the display looked perfect, so it wasn't on its last legs or anything.

I'm at a complete loss.

PS. Yes, the display board is dusty.
PS2. Yes, I still have AA's on my CPU Board.

Thanks!
Neal

015.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

#2 1 year ago

Usually +5V connector on Display board make problems(Second pic,CN2).
Try to plug it and unplug it several time slowly and see if the display will show up.
Of course it's good to check the fuses too with DMM.

#3 1 year ago

Remove the fuse F7 1/2 amp slow blow from the power supply and test continuity with a meter. Use meter to check voltages on the display 8 pin connector. Pin1 -110v pin2 -98v pin 3 key pin 4 ground pin 5 ground pin 6 +5v pin 7 +12v pin 8 +68v. If any of those voltages are missing the power supply needs repaired.

#4 1 year ago

I had the same problem with mine, but no DMD or sound. Then game wouldn't boot. Here's the thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwf-rr-no-dmd-or-sound
I ended up replacing the board.

#5 1 year ago

Good chance your high voltage section went out on the power supply. Happened to me, everything else worked but the DMD. You can rebuild them or get a new one. I replaced mine with a new XPin power supply and worked great. Get a voltmeter and check the power at the plug going into the DMD.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the tips. I purchased a voltmeter today and will be foolin' around with it this week. I'll keep you posted

1 month later
#7 1 year ago

Well, my tests with the multimeter turned out ok. I went ahead and replaced the power board with a new Rottendog. Powered the pinball back up and......same result! No display on DMD. Now it's down to the Display controller or the DMD. Any thoughts? I'm down $115 from the new board and don't want to keep spending to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
Neal

#8 1 year ago

The two pin connector on the display driver (5volt), is very problematic. Wiggle it and see if it comes on. Or could be cold solder joints on the back of the board

#9 1 year ago

Well, went and tried the two pin connector. While powered on, I jiggled it a bit, and yes, I did get some pixels to come up on the display, although it was all garbled.

With that being said, I guess I should replace the display controller?

#10 1 year ago

I would say no,
1)check the big ribbon cable and make sure it's on the cpu and display driver properly
2) re flow the solder on the back of the two pin connector on the board
3) re pin the connector.

Not sure if you have the capability, bit it's all relatively easy stuff.
Unless you shorted something, the odds of something going back at the exact same time that you checked a bulb is unlikely

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Problem has been solved.

It turns out a buddy of mine in town has a Royal Rumble game also. I took all parts associated with my display over to his pinball and started swapping items in and out to see if we could pinpoint the issue. It turns out the item causing the issue was the display ROM I have installed in my display controller.

So yes:
1. With my ROM in it, nothing shows up on the DMD
2. Using a different ROM, DMD displays fine.

I for one didn't think a ROM could go bad, or could even make the DMD not display anything at all.

Go figure....

#12 1 year ago

That is great news. Just in time for your ColorDMD upgrade.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-73-its-time-to-rumble

2 weeks later
#13 1 year ago

Time to get rid of those batteries too. 30 seconds to swap out that old RAM for NVRAM.
http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Time to get rid of those batteries too. 30 seconds to swap out that old RAM for NVRAM.
http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Sad to admit, but I do have it installed already. Check under the CPU chip. Never realized it when I bought it. I guess I should take those AA's out.....

#15 1 year ago

Play ball !!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside