(Topic ID: 109799)

Data East, weak flippers, need ideas

By mg81

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just added a Data East Star Wars to my collection. The issue I am having is that the flippers just don't have the power to make the ramp, at least not the right flipper and the left flipper can barely make it up if I get it just right. Other than the ramp the flippers have enough power to make all other shots. Nothing goofy with the flippers, they flip correctly and stay up when the flipper button is held in.

There is a Star Wars on location by me that I recently played and I had no trouble making the ramp shot from either flipper, it was easy.

Here is what I know:
-This pin has almost all of the boards replaced with Rottendog boards. If this matters I will list all of the replacement boards.
-The pin has a Rottendog flipper control board, the dip switches are correct.
-This pin does not have any EOS switches, I think that i correct for this Data East pin
-The coils are the correct number according to the manual 090-5032-00
-New coil sleeves, all of the flipper parts are in nice shape.
-"Coil pulse" adjustment in the game menu is set at "hard".
-Contacts on the flipper buttons have been cleaned well and look good.
-The playfield coils seem to work fine including the VUK with enough power.

I need ideas, it seem like if the flipper just had a little bit more power everything would be fine.
-Any connector(s) that I should look at and possibly repin?
-Voltages that I should be checking?

#2 9 years ago

More info:
-The playfield is only at 6 degrees
-All of the boards in the pin are Rottendog replacement boards except for the Power supply board.

If I had to take a guess it seems like the flippers are not getting enough current. The flippers are snappy in movement they just don't seem to have the power.

Any recommendations on what connectors, fuses, connections tend to be marginal on Data East pins that would rob the flippers of current?

#3 9 years ago

How did you go about cleaning the cabinet switches? I recently discovered they're gold-plated switches designed for low-voltage and should only be cleaned with a business card--never filed. If they have been filed, or if they're not the gold-plated type, or if they're just plain worn out--you may wind up needing to replace them. I was just ordering a set for my LAH (same generation DE game) the other day, in case you wind up needing them, here's the link to them on Marco's site: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5048-01

Can't really come up with much else, have you made any headway with the problem yet?

#4 9 years ago

Three possibilities based on everything you've listed:

1. Some sort of physical resistance to the motion of the flippers. You'd want to check for proper spacing between the flipper bat and the bushing, as well as for ease of motion.

2. Improper pulse voltage coming from your Rottendog SSFB. I'm guessing it should be +50.0 VDC for the pulse since that's what it is on my R&B machine.

3. Worn out coils. Replace with new ones if everything else checks out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-weak-flippers-need-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.