(Topic ID: 286345)

Data East Volume Potentiometer Cleaning?

By jimgravina

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Data East Volume (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I thought I remember reading somewhere that these volume pots can be cleaned?

I get a lot of crackling out of my left speaker in my Back To The Future pin. The second on turn on the machine, I get loud crackle and pops then no sound from the speaker. However, if I turn of the machine, and adjust the volume a bit, when I turn the game back out the speaker works fine.

This may be fine for a several weeks, but then sometimes the crackling popping sound comes back, I readjust the volume pot a bit and all seems to be ok for awhile.

Any ideas? Could the pot be dirty? Loose connection? Or would this have nothing to do with the volume pot at all?

#2 3 years ago

I would probably use something like this. There are different applicators to choose from. 30 something years ago I would use something like Radio Shack's Contact cleaner to clean potentiometers. Very common fix if in fact it is your pot.
https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORATORIES-D100L-25C-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B0000YH6F8/ref=sr_1_7

#3 3 years ago

I also just noticed my volume pot has 2 potentiometers in one...is this normal / original? Or could this have been updated at one point....and what purpose is the dual pot?

#4 3 years ago

DeOxit 5 is a good one.

#5 3 years ago

Do I need to take the pot all the way apart? Or can I just spray a bit into that opening?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Do I need to take the pot all the way apart? Or can I just spray a bit into that opening?

Into the opening.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

my volume pot has 2 potentiometers in one...is this normal / original?

There's a Right and Left audio channel. Data East did Stereo. I have a Time Machine. It's dual pot's. So yes this is normal.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

There's a Right and Left audio channel. Data East did Stereo. I have a Time Machine. It's dual pot's. So yes this is normal.

Excellent thank you. There is also the cabinet speaker, is this just piggy packing off of one of the pots?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

is this just piggy packing off of one of the pots?

Yup.

Data East Volume (resized).jpgData East Volume (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

Guys, That DeoxIt worked WONDERS! I only tried the game a few times but so far NO crackling / popping sounds. The volume knob is even much much much more smooth and wayyy easier to turn. I cant believe the difference. And, the left speaker where I was having the issue was also a lower volume then the right but now the volume is the same loudness as the right speaker! Also, there was so much resistance in the knob before, but I'm new to pinball machine so I thought that was normal.

Im blown away...I have been trying to solve this for over a year since I bought the pin. Thought it was the sound board, so I re-capped, thought it was the speaker, so I changed it out, and a few other things I tried.

DeoxIt on the pot was the trick! Thank you everyone!

Jim

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Into the opening.

Where is this opening? On the metal box? Around the shaft?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Where is this opening?

Not the shaft. Any little opening you can see that would lead to the inside where the wiper would be.

#14 3 years ago

Ok cool. Many thanks

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Where is this opening? On the metal box? Around the shaft?

I did spray in the shaft as well...pretty much all over as it can't really hurt anything once it dries. Just spray, turn the knob back and forth several times to loosen and dirt / grime / oxidation....then spray again to clean it out.

Wait for it to dry a few minutes and you're good to go!

Jim

#16 3 years ago

Well that didn't end up fixing my problem...the crackling / popping noise in my left speaker came back. However, I believe I have fixed that by replacing a few caps on the sound board. Either way, im sure the volume pot needed a good cleaning anyways. It definitely moves much smoother now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-volume-potentiometer-cleaning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.