2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rikoshay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rikoshay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a DE V3 board that has had considerable acid damage, this has been repaired........More of a thread to come later that will hopefully help someone?

But am stuck on the DE pinwiki page 29.

Just need some clarification please?

Under the heading 'the blanking circuit explained' 2. states that pin 4 of the 6821 should be high, yet underneath regarding the 555 timer 2. it states that pin 4 should be pulsing.

The blanking circuit explained
    1.A properly executing CPU will send data to the display 6821 PIA at 11B at regular intervals (every 2.8 msec).
    2.This action causes PA2 at pin 4 of the 6821 to go high. The schematics call this signal "TG".

When operating properly, the pins of the 555 timer will behave as follows (pin number, logic signal)
    Pin 2. pulsing at the same rate as the 6821 PIA at 11B, pin 4

So for testing purposes this to me reads as conflicting, but on the other hand i may be missing something hence the post.

1 week later
    #2 2 years ago

turns out Pinwiki is wrong in a small detail, i contacted them but haven't had a reply.

regardless pin4 of the 6821 at 11B should be pulsing, not logic level High.

what's odd atm is with the 6821 at 5F removed the cpu blanking is stable, with it installed the LED goes out after about 7seconds, so assuming something after the PIA is causing the blanking circuit to kick in.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently waiting for a test chip to arrive, but it seems to have gone astray in the mail.

I don't understand as it states below that pin 4 will go high but then it states pin 4 will be pulsing, both with a properly executing cpu and 555

1. A properly executing CPU will send data to the display 6821 PIA at 11B at regular intervals (every 2.8 msec).
    2. This action causes PA2 at pin 4 of the to go high. The schematics call this signal "TG".

2. pulsing at the same rate as the 6821 PIA at 11B, pin 4

If the cpu is running properly and the program executing then pin 4 on PIA should be pulsing along with pin 2 on 555, pin 4 should only go high if the blanking detects a problem and as a result the blanking LED goes off.

What am i missing/not understanding?

#5 2 years ago

i did start this thread in Tech generic and Tech DMD so i don't know how it ended up in Tech early solid state, sorry fellas.

#6 2 years ago

I've got it to the blanking stays on for about 8 seconds then goes out.

Might someone know what is happening in the boot sequence at this point to cause the blanking circuit to take affect?

and i know this is a DE version 3 cpu, for a DMD game but somehow the thread ended up here, can a moderator possibly move it please?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rikoshay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-version-3-no-blanking?tu=Rikoshay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.