• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by loren3233
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello All,

I am working on a Tommy and the dmd flashes quickly. Game boots up and plays fine, only issue is the flashing dmd. I have reset all connectors but I am assuming there is a capacitor in the power supply possibly going bad. I am off to pinwiki but I figured I would post here on Pinside as well.
The power supply in this Tommy is 520-5047-02 and from the research I have done I found out there are different versions of this power supply, this particular board is I have is 'REV A'. I am attaching a you tube video below to show what the symptoms are. Any ideas on what to look at? Thank you for any suggestions.

#2 5 years ago

I should also mention that I did take the dmd panel out of this pin and installed into a different Data East and the dmd worked fine with no flashing. That is what made me believe that the issue was probably on the power supply board. The capacitors on the power supply look fine with no bulging.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

The capacitors on the power supply look fine with no bulging.

If they are original, they need to be replaced. Electrolytic capacitors have about a 15 year life expectancy.

#4 5 years ago

I would assume they are original but not as I have only owned the game for about a year. All of the boards have the same serial number which makes me lean more towards original board. Should all the capacitors be replaced on the power board or specific capacitors that tend do get stressed more?

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

I was able to figure this after a bit more research. This was a bad capacitor 200V 22uf at C10. I replaced both C10 and C11 on the board and issue has been resolved. Thank you PinballManiac40 for the suggestion.

I am posting the solution to this as it may assist someone further down the road.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-tommy-dmd-flashing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.