(Topic ID: 41143)

Data East TMNT Technical Problems - Game randomly freezes and won't boot.

By ClintonDiehl

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rock914
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So we bought our first machine in the last year and had a great time playing it, when it was working. In my spare time over the last year I have been working to troubleshoot the issues but the short of it is it hasn't been working for a long time.

The system will power on, light half the board and play the 'Teenage... Mutant... Ninja... Turtles!' intro vocal. Then it just sits there. The board electronics do not initialize, no response from the diagnostics or anything else.

When this first started it looked like it was a blown fuse issue. The problem being that the fuse that was installed was an obscure 3.15 amp. It took me ages to get around to finding and ordering a proper replacement (after three different wrong orders). I get it install it and Voila! the system boots. It promptly fries that fuse 10 minutes later (PPB F6). Put this on the backburner again till we recently moved. The pinball is now in a place where I am actively working on it.

Did further Research and found that the Machine came with the wrong fuse installed in that position. It needed a 5 amp so I said hallelujah and ran out to radio shack. Installed the 5 amp fuse and it came back to life! There were so many more lights and sounds going on now than there had been in our previous plays. It was awesome! Then another fuse blew. (PPB F2)

Replaced it, machine worked. Then it froze up again. Only this time no fuses were blown. I have since replaced ALL fuses on the PPB, capacitor links and Power Supply Board. During replacing the fuses I noticed that the fuse clip on one end of PPB F4 was loose . Thinking that might be causing conductivity issues I have temporarily used a tiny binder clip to apply pressure on that fuse clip.

Current Status:

Machine turns on, plays the intro and lights half the board and proceeds to sit unresponsive. Occasionally it will work when I turn it on after it has been sitting for a while, but then freezes up after a couple minutes of play.

If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this issue please let me know.

- Clinton Diehl

#2 11 years ago

I'd go over fuse holders to be sure they are soldered on good. You likely have more that are flaky.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I'd look for other signs of problems while you are looking around. The TMNT that I bought and fixed a while back had burnt connectors.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Have had a few good long runs today and was able to get it to run after freezing by powering down for a minute. I will inspect the cable connectors soon and report back.

#5 11 years ago

Just had the same problem with my Data East Jurassic park, game would work for a game or two and then the dmd would freeze. Posted the problem here http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frozen-dmd. reset chips on DMD and main board.

#6 11 years ago

So posting this yesterday must have been good luck. Haven't been experiencing any issue playing today. The machine has been running for multiple hours now with uncountable plays. Still going to check all the connectors for damage. Thanks for the info on the DMD Nasco62, I will certainly check those connectors as well as I occasionally experience DMD glitches as well. I am just glad to say that al the work I have done up to now seems to have had a positive affect on the machine. Will update again after checking the connectors for damage.

#7 11 years ago

The pins on the power board can sometimes get pushed through the pcb losing contact. This can cause irratic behavior. Simply remove the board, check the pins, and resolder where needed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-tmnt-technical-problems-game-randomly-freezes-and-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.