IMG_1575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1574 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1573 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1569 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1570 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I have been chasing my tail and could use some help. Game was playing fine, it has a new Rottendog main board. While my daughter was playing, I started to smell something burning so I shut the game off and noticed the left pop bumper had a burn mark on the side of the coil and it was very hot. I ordered replacements for all three pop bumpers and when I tested, the game blew the F5 fuse as soon as the ball hit one of the pop bumpers. It blew the diode on the right pop bumper and transistor Q8 on the new main board. I ordered replacement transistors (IRL 530N's instead of the existing) and replaced the coil diode, F5 fuse and Q8. I could not find a short I have checked each coil so I powered it on again and it immediately blew the fuse and this time it blew the Q9 transistor and the center pop bumper diode. I replaced the Q9, disconnected the wiring to all three pop bumpers and the game plays fine except of course the pop bumpers are not working. When I plug them back in, it immediately blows the fuse and blows the Q9 transistor.

I'm thinking maybe I wired one of the coils incorrectly but they look the same. I haven't figured out why the initial coil started to burn so I'm at a loss and don't want to keep blowing transistors. Any thoughts on what to check next? Thank you.

IMG_1569 (resized).jpegIMG_1569 (resized).jpegIMG_1570 (resized).jpegIMG_1570 (resized).jpegIMG_1571 (resized).jpegIMG_1571 (resized).jpegIMG_1572 (resized).jpegIMG_1572 (resized).jpegIMG_1573 (resized).jpegIMG_1573 (resized).jpegIMG_1574 (resized).jpegIMG_1574 (resized).jpegIMG_1575 (resized).jpegIMG_1575 (resized).jpegIMG_1576 (resized).jpegIMG_1576 (resized).jpegIMG_1577 (resized).jpegIMG_1577 (resized).jpegIMG_1578 (resized).jpegIMG_1578 (resized).jpegIMG_1579 (resized).jpegIMG_1579 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

You reversed the wiring to the coils. The (Daisy chained) red wire should be at the banded side of the diode mounted on the coil.

Maybe you damaged the IRL's again also as a result.

#3 5 years ago

Well that’s embarrassing, not sure how I managed it but thank you I was stuck. I will correct when I get home tonight. Much appreciated!

#4 5 years ago

Thank you MarAlb - that did the trick. Everything is back up and running. Thank you!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-time-machine-pop-bumpers-blowing-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.