(Topic ID: 253458)

Data East Time Machine - CPR Plastics - Interest?

By dpannell

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0340 (resized).JPG
IMG_0343 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpannell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

A couple of months ago, after contacting CPR, I sent my Data East Time Machine plastics to them so that they can reproduce them. They confirmed receipt and began working on the project. I recently checked back with them and they informed me that they had abandoned the project. They said "there are several fonts we either can't find, or are simply too expensive to purchase". They also mentioned that they "would be lucky to sell 4-5 sets, so it's just not worth the production time investment".

I'm starting this thread in hopes of gauging interest in hopes of encouraging CPR to finish. I know of 3 pinsiders myself who are interested in plastics for this game. I gotta believe that a great game like this(76 on the pinside top 100 for what it's worth) would sell a lot more than 4-5 sets of plastics. If you are interested in getting plastics for this game, can you please reply to this thread. Thanks!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

I spoke with Stu at CPR about this thread. He mentioned that if you want to reproduce the Plastics Set - go for it. But he also said if You create the artwork that CPR would not be printing them.
If you want to wait to see how many people are interested in buying via this thread then Stu is willing to re-evaluate at a later date.
Another option is to create a Go-Fund-Me account and raise the funds to pay for CPR to create the Artwork. ( This didn't come from Stu, this is simply my 2 cents on how to help get the project going )....I know that other customers have paid CPR directly ( a commissioned project if you will ) to do this for projects that CPR knows will not sell enough to cover the development costs involved.

Thanks for reaching out to him. I have asked Stu to send me the scans of my plastics, he has not responded. If you can get them for whoever wants to reproduce them, it's fine with me. I was supposed to receive free plastics for providing mine. I now have 2 games here that I have restored assuming I'd have plastics by now. Anything you can do is appreciated.

2 weeks later
#16 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded. I decided to make my own plastics for now, they are not ideal but will work until someone starts reproducing them. Here are some pics of one I made for Time machine and another I made for my High speed. The originals are at the top.

IMG_0340 (resized).JPGIMG_0340 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#21 4 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Nice job there dpannell. How much of a battle was it to roll your own plastics?

Thanks. I used a combination of techniques from posts by other users on pinside. Here is a high level of how I do it.

1. Scan the plastics at 600 dpi.
2. Make any touch up's needed. This is a good time to fill in the post holes with some nearby art or customize the plastic.
3. Arrange all the images in a 1 square foot print layout in preparation for upload to Fedex print services.
4. Test print the plastic on regular paper and trial fit to make sure it is sized correctly.
5. Upload the images to Fedex choosing the reverse print decal options.
6. Trace and Cut out the plastic shapes on acrylic sheet using a scroll saw. I used this sheet acrylic. https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-093-in-x-11-in-x-14-in-Clear-Acrylic-Sheet-1AU0515A/100282591
7. Cutout the decals from the decal sheet. Apply the decals to the underside of the plastics. Save the decal backing for the next step.
8. Using the backing from the decals as a guide, Cut out white vinyl shapes and apply to the back of the decals. I used this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Cricut-2005181-Craft-Supplies-Multicolor/dp/B07FBR3WV6
9. Drill out post holes as needed. I find it best to place the plastic on a piece of scrap wood and drill from the top of the plastic. This prevent damage to the decal.

Next time I do this, I am going to try to get Fedex to print them on white vinyl to eliminate step 8.

1 month later
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

I need sling shot plastics. I will be forever indebted to whomever sends me a scan of theirs.

I just sent you a PM with the scans I used for mine.

3 months later
#31 4 years ago

Great News, I didn't hear anything from CPR. I guess I need to contact CPR since they owe me a set of plastics. Thanks for posting!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpannell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-time-machine-cpr-plastics-interest?tu=dpannell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.