(Topic ID: 253458)

Data East Time Machine - CPR Plastics - Interest?

By dpannell

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Barakawins1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0340 (resized).JPG
IMG_0343 (resized).JPG

#1 4 months ago

A couple of months ago, after contacting CPR, I sent my Data East Time Machine plastics to them so that they can reproduce them. They confirmed receipt and began working on the project. I recently checked back with them and they informed me that they had abandoned the project. They said "there are several fonts we either can't find, or are simply too expensive to purchase". They also mentioned that they "would be lucky to sell 4-5 sets, so it's just not worth the production time investment".

I'm starting this thread in hopes of gauging interest in hopes of encouraging CPR to finish. I know of 3 pinsiders myself who are interested in plastics for this game. I gotta believe that a great game like this(76 on the pinside top 100 for what it's worth) would sell a lot more than 4-5 sets of plastics. If you are interested in getting plastics for this game, can you please reply to this thread. Thanks!

#2 4 months ago

That's lame of them.

#4 4 months ago

Should be a no-brainer. I can't believe they don't already make them.

#5 4 months ago

How much would a set be worth to you guys? We could reproduce them with similar or the same fonts (depending on availability) and could have CPR print them, but I'm not sure of the legalities with the older stuff. Not sure what CPR does to license this stuff at all, etc. I've worked with them on other projects so I know we can create them, just not sure what is allowed.

I used to have a Time Machine and I felt like the market wasn't that large for the machine, so it seems like each set would have to be somewhat spendy in order to make it profitable.

#7 4 months ago

count me in for set

#8 4 months ago

Might be interested, whats the estimated cost? My plastics are not bad. I am looking for a left ramp. My ramp is needing replaced but it still works well.

#9 4 months ago

I am in for a set.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

We could reproduce them with similar or the same fonts (depending on availability) and could have CPR print them, but I'm not sure of the legalities with the older stuff. Not sure what CPR does to license this stuff at all, etc.

I spoke with Stu at CPR about this thread. He mentioned that if you want to reproduce the Plastics Set - go for it. But he also said if You create the artwork that CPR would not be printing them.

If you want to wait to see how many people are interested in buying via this thread then Stu is willing to re-evaluate at a later date.

Another option is to create a Go-Fund-Me account and raise the funds to pay for CPR to create the Artwork. ( This didn't come from Stu, this is simply my 2 cents on how to help get the project going )....I know that other customers have paid CPR directly ( a commissioned project if you will ) to do this for projects that CPR knows will not sell enough to cover the development costs involved.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from cutlerkeith:

Might be interested, whats the estimated cost?

Similar projects like DragonFist Plastics, Lectronamo Plastics, and Laser Cue Plastic sell at $159/set. I asked Stu about the sales and he said they have sold 4 DragonFist sets, 0 Lectronamo Sets, and 1 Laser Cue Set....the artwork development costs put all 3 of these projects in the red financially, so you can see why he dropped the DE Time Machine Plastics project. However, per Stu, if you can get enough people interested in purchasing then he will re-visit the possibility of the project. He mentioned 45-50 Sales.....

So far this thread shows 6 people "interested" ( that's not confirmed sales ).....

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

I spoke with Stu at CPR about this thread. He mentioned that if you want to reproduce the Plastics Set - go for it. But he also said if You create the artwork that CPR would not be printing them.
If you want to wait to see how many people are interested in buying via this thread then Stu is willing to re-evaluate at a later date.
Another option is to create a Go-Fund-Me account and raise the funds to pay for CPR to create the Artwork. ( This didn't come from Stu, this is simply my 2 cents on how to help get the project going )....I know that other customers have paid CPR directly ( a commissioned project if you will ) to do this for projects that CPR knows will not sell enough to cover the development costs involved.

Thanks for reaching out to him. I have asked Stu to send me the scans of my plastics, he has not responded. If you can get them for whoever wants to reproduce them, it's fine with me. I was supposed to receive free plastics for providing mine. I now have 2 games here that I have restored assuming I'd have plastics by now. Anything you can do is appreciated.

#13 4 months ago

Well, if CPR will give you a minimum order or dollar amount that would give you an idea of where to go. I don't want to step on those toes and I definitely don't want to deal with angry license holders. I am just going to spitball that they need to sell something like 10 sets to break even. The drawing time on reproduction plastics is a lot, luckily TM isn't that intricate. Too bad you can't bring the drawings to them, that would at least remove that burden from them but not sure how their license agreements are structured so maybe they can't. Or maybe they don't want to deal with outside designer quality.

#14 4 months ago

Being a low number game hurts this game for repro game specific parts ie plastics,ramps,backglass and playfeilds. In local pinball crowd i have gotten many looks of why do you want that game when any discussion of project games come up. So the fan base is not large but may be growing. I'm just waiting on a replacement ramp and i would be content @freeplay40 has this as a project stewing due to the oddity of the ramp design and needing bigger heater. Biggest issue I've see so far is playfeild and ramp issues. If both of these are resolved a new ramp and hardtop or overlay might bring more interest in this.
Would i get new plastics probably. But my game has way bigger issues. Current plastics are good and complete. Might at later date do a cabinet wrap but game needs to work before i go down that road. Will be watching to see how many actually want them.

1 week later
#15 4 months ago

Not to be a downer, but many of the Time Machine plastics aren't really the issue for most, except for the left sling, which would lead me to believe most people aren't going to be interested in spending over $100 for a full set. Most people are more interested in the ramps.

#16 3 months ago

Thanks to everyone who responded. I decided to make my own plastics for now, they are not ideal but will work until someone starts reproducing them. Here are some pics of one I made for Time machine and another I made for my High speed. The originals are at the top.

IMG_0340 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPG
#18 3 months ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Being a low number game hurts this game for repro game specific parts ie plastics,ramps,backglass and playfeilds. In local pinball crowd i have gotten many looks of why do you want that game when any discussion of project games come up. So the fan base is not large but may be growing. I'm just waiting on a replacement ramp and i would be content @freeplay40 has this as a project stewing due to the oddity of the ramp design and needing bigger heater. Biggest issue I've see so far is playfeild and ramp issues. If both of these are resolved a new ramp and hardtop or overlay might bring more interest in this.
Would i get new plastics probably. But my game has way bigger issues. Current plastics are good and complete. Might at later date do a cabinet wrap but game needs to work before i go down that road. Will be watching to see how many actually want them.

Defender was an even lower number game, how many plastic sets did they sell of the those??

3 weeks later
#20 3 months ago

Nice job there dpannell. How much of a battle was it to roll your own plastics?

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Nice job there dpannell. How much of a battle was it to roll your own plastics?

Thanks. I used a combination of techniques from posts by other users on pinside. Here is a high level of how I do it.

1. Scan the plastics at 600 dpi.
2. Make any touch up's needed. This is a good time to fill in the post holes with some nearby art or customize the plastic.
3. Arrange all the images in a 1 square foot print layout in preparation for upload to Fedex print services.
4. Test print the plastic on regular paper and trial fit to make sure it is sized correctly.
5. Upload the images to Fedex choosing the reverse print decal options.
6. Trace and Cut out the plastic shapes on acrylic sheet using a scroll saw. I used this sheet acrylic. https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-093-in-x-11-in-x-14-in-Clear-Acrylic-Sheet-1AU0515A/100282591
7. Cutout the decals from the decal sheet. Apply the decals to the underside of the plastics. Save the decal backing for the next step.
8. Using the backing from the decals as a guide, Cut out white vinyl shapes and apply to the back of the decals. I used this stuff.
amazon.com link »
9. Drill out post holes as needed. I find it best to place the plastic on a piece of scrap wood and drill from the top of the plastic. This prevent damage to the decal.

Next time I do this, I am going to try to get Fedex to print them on white vinyl to eliminate step 8.

1 month later
#22 43 days ago

I need sling shot plastics. I will be forever indebted to whomever sends me a scan of theirs.

#23 43 days ago
Quoted from JBK:

I need sling shot plastics. I will be forever indebted to whomever sends me a scan of theirs.

I'll try and do mine for you

#24 37 days ago
Quoted from JBK:

I just sent you a PM with the scans I used for mine.

1 month later
#25 6 days ago

I'll take a set of plastics if reproduced for sure!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greenville, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside