Data East - through lockout problems

By jimy_speedt

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi,

I am facing a problem with the 1L coil which locks out the balls one by one from the through to the vertical eject coil.

When the machine is switched on, the lockout coil is activated a few times. Which is not normal. As a consequence, 2 or 3 balls are ejected and launched to the playfield without reason. Also, at machine switching, it says "pinball missing" or "6 ball missing" or "4 ball missing". The thing is that the unlocking coil let the balls go to the release coil (kind of VUK) which sends ball to the shooter lane.

So I wonder if because the CPU thinks not all the balls are in the through, the timeout lockout mechanism tries to activate all coils to release them, or if the 1L coil is the primary cause and by itself releases balls unexpectedly for some reasons.

I checked Q54 which is the switch driver for the through switches column. On the DMM, I get normal diode values.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

#2 4 years ago

I guess no one can help on this.

Can I just ask a DE owner, to remove all he balls from the through, remove the apron (very easy) and switch on the pin. Does the coil on the playfield "pumps", attracts the plunger a few times or stays idle ?

That will help me finding whether the coil or the ball switches is responsible for the malfunction.

Thanks again

#3 4 years ago

I tried it. With all 6 balls removed from Jurassic Park, it did what you describe, the coil under the apron energized repeatedly, then the shooter lane coil fired, then the game said 6 balls missing. I tried it with only 3 balls removed, and the game went to ball search a few times, then when trying to start a game said 3 balls missing.
Good luck.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

That will help me finding whether the coil or the ball switches is responsible for the malfunction.
Thanks again

What will help most is running a thorough switch test, using a ball to activate each switch. If your switches work 100% - and they should- that will clue you in what to look for next.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

What will help most is running a thorough switch test, using a ball to activate each switch. If your switches work 100% - and they should- that will clue you in what to look for next.

Hi
I made it, for each ball

And so on
Thanks wayout

The switch test, either by manually lifting each ball with the finger, or filling the empty through with the balls one by one is successful.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

I tried it. With all 6 balls removed from Jurassic Park, it did what you describe, the coil under the apron energized repeatedly, then the shooter lane coil fired, then the game said 6 balls missing. I tried it with only 3 balls removed, and the game went to ball search a few times, then when trying to start a game said 3 balls missing.
Good luck.

Thank you very much, when you had only 3 balls in, did the lockout activate as it was tbe case when no ball at all was in the through ?

#7 4 years ago

Nothing in the trough did anything with only 3 balls removed. Just the standard ball search all around the playfield coils, then said 3 balls missing on the display.

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

I have not found the issue. As I was helping a friend and nothing comes up from his side, I close the subject. I will give the solution if further progress is made. Thanks to all

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-through-lockout-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.