• Last Action Hero 9 votes
    29%
  • Tales from the Crypt 19 votes
    61%
  • Ew, Data East games 3 votes
    10%

(31 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I'm looking to possibly add a Data East to my collection this winter. I really like Last Action Hero. It's fun and I like the movie more than most so the call outs and modes are great.
I also grew up watching Tales from the Crypt and have been interested in that machine. The difference is that I've played LAH a lot but I've never seen a TFTC in person (there arent even very good videos on YouTube)
I'd appreciate some feed back from fans/owners of the games. Maybe someone can make a hi res video or maybe someone in the GTA with a TFTC wouldnt mind playing a few games with me. I will include a poll. Both games seem to go for about the same amount in my area (3.5-4k cdn)

#2 1 year ago

For me condition would be the key. Both are fun games, I'm partial to TFTC as I like the theme better. That being said, if I found either one in superior condition at a reasonable price, I'd buy it. If you go TFTC make sure you use the newest code, it makes a big difference in game play.

#3 1 year ago

LAH is classic 10lbs shit in a 5 lbs bag.
TFTC at least has a good theme, funny, and some horror elements in it (not to mentin the best jackpot animation).
People can find the Crypt Keeper super annoying though, so keep that in mind. Design is a tad flawed with the crypt shot.

#4 1 year ago

TFTC is the much better game. IMO it is the best game Data East produced. Tons of modes, great dot matrix animation with cool ramps and lots of fun.
LAH is ok. Kitchen sink type game loaded with everything but for me the game play does not hold up. Not a fan of the design on this table. Too much stop and go with two scoops in the middle of the playfield and little flow.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Design is a tad flawed with the crypt shot.

I always thought that to be one of it's best features.

#6 1 year ago

I own both a TFTC is more enjoyable imo.

#7 1 year ago

both have no staying power. Save your money.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

LAH is classic 10lbs shit in a 5 lbs bag.
TFTC at least has a good theme, funny, and some horror elements in it (not to mentin the best jackpot animation).
People can find the Crypt Keeper super annoying though, so keep that in mind. Design is a tad flawed with the crypt shot.

Theme is subjective though. I liked Tales from the Crypt and I'm actually rewatching it now for the first time in 20+ years but I still watch Last Action Hero at least once a year.
Part of the enjoyment I get from the pin is my love of the movie. Same feeling inside when I play an Addams Family. How does TFTC shoot compared to LAH? I've played LAH and JP a lot but very little time on any other DE games (mostly because they weren't fun or they butchered themes I love).

#9 1 year ago

I just went to check out the DE line up. Jeez, I forgot just how many themes they have that I love that you couldnt pay me to put in my house.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I just went to check out the DE line up. Jeez, I forgot just how many themes they have that I love that you couldnt pay me to put in my house.

For all the Data East themes they are remaking today, there are still new games with older, more antiquated themes for you to dress up your house with.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

How does TFTC shoot compared to LAH?

Persoanlly I think it's much better, but I also think their alpha games are better than the DMD years so take it for what it's worth.

Hopefully someone around you can help you out. But hey if you Like LAH just grab it if you can and sell it when you get sick of it.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

For all the Data East themes they are remaking today, there are still new games with older, more antiquated themes for you to dress up your house with.

New games cost more and I dont mean I dont want those DE games because they are ugly. I dont want them because they suck. I dont think someone looking for a DE game is looking to dress anything up.

#13 1 year ago

Both are fun. I have LAH and enjoy it more since I like the theme more.

#14 1 year ago

LAH was my first pin. I will never sell it. I liked the movie when everyone else did not get it.

I always enjoy playing it. I thought TFTC was ok but did not like the theme or the art work.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

New games cost more and I dont mean I dont want those DE games because they are ugly. I dont want them because they suck.

Fortunately for me, pretty much all new games fit both criteria as well.

#16 1 year ago

I don't have any experience with either machine, but if you really like the movie, getting a pinsound board really helps the immersion. I feel bad for all the data east designers and the flak their brand gets. I personally dig quite a few data east games!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from o-din:

Fortunately for me, pretty much all new games fit both criteria as well.

Your comments are very hard to follow. I'm not sure what you are trying to say in either post. It sounds like you just like shiney new games. Other than JP, what other DE games have been "remade"

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

It sounds like you just like shiney new games.

I'm not sure how you got that, it's quite the opposite.

Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Other than JP, what other DE games have been "remade"

So far Star Wars, Star Trek, Simpsons, WWF, and Batman in one form or another. And if some around here had their way, there would be another GNR, BTTF, and TMNT as well.

Notice the trend?

#19 1 year ago

I’ve owned a TFTC for a few months now and it’s my wife’s favorite pinball. Just got new plastics and mirror blades and I don’t think it will ever leave the collection. Hope CPR does a playfield run and it will be immaculate. Haven’t played LAH in person but on TPA and I like it a lot but obviously TFTC if I were to choose between the two.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure how you got that, it's quite the opposite.

So far Star Wars, Star Trek, Simpsons, WWF, and Batman in one form or another. And if some around here had their way, there would be another GNR, BTTF, and TMNT as well.
Notice the trend?

Seems like a good trend. All of those games (maybe not wwf) got far superior Stern versions. I'm one of those people who would be more than a little excited by a new BTTF pin. Even Turtles has me interested.
Anyway, just looking for feedback between the 2 DE titles. It seems like the consensus so far is TFTC. I'll have to find one to try myself.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Seems like a good trend.

Good trend? What happens when they run out of antique themes and games to rehash? Rehash them all over again?

Oh, and TFTC FTW.

#22 1 year ago

I'd buy a B/W title before either of those. I owned LAH. The crane code is unfinished. You'll get balls stuck on the crane and have to wait for a ball check to occur. One ball goes to the lock and as the crane swings it dumps the other ball out. By then the mode is over.
I can honestly say I don't miss that game one IOTA because of that unfinished code. I'm not saying it doesnt have some good points but that code being unfinished piece is a real deal breaker.

#23 1 year ago

TFTC is a much better game. LAH has more features but I don't enjoy playing it at all. TFTC lasted about 6 years in my collection before leaving. Great game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 26.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside