photo(2).JPG
photo(1).JPG
detail-1.jpg
detail.JPG
photo(3).JPG
photo(2).JPG
#1 10 years ago

So
I am now trying to fix the diverter on my tftc. I'm not sure I will keep it functional due to the elimination of that right orbit but I want to at least get it working.

I have changed the connector on the board ,reviving my shaker in the process I just changed the solenoid. It was totally smoked leaving smoke on the underside of the playfield. I have included a pic of the solenoid. I was also wondering what the melted mess is inside the solenoid. I also had to trim the end of the sleeve to make it fit in the spot. is this normal? do you usually have to trim off the end of the solenoid sleeve? It is def the right part. the same one as the fried one.

this solenoid change did not bring back the diverter though so I am suspecting there is further damage "upstream" can anyone give me an idea of what to look for next?

photo(2).JPGphoto(2).JPG photo(3).JPGphoto(3).JPG

#2 10 years ago

I would say the melted stuff inside the coil is the sleeve. I replaced my sleeve but didn't need to trim anything, but trimming a sleeve is ok afaik.
Did you check the manual to be sure it was the right coil? Soneone may have replace it with the wrong one, just double checking here.

#3 10 years ago

yes I replaced it with the part # from the manual. the sleeve had a bit of length after the sleeve stop though, i assume this coil can be used for other things where that flange is usefull.

this is the part i used: http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=+Stern+27-1400+

it came with a "flanged" sleeve which i didn't need
but this is the replacement part according to the manual

#4 10 years ago

Ya that's the right part. Not sure way the sleeve is longer but you may be right that it's for another use. Have you checked the the voltage going to the coil to see what you have coming in, if anything?

#5 10 years ago

yes there is voltage coming through on both sides....the sleeve isn't longer just the flange on the back..that is what i had to cut off...
detail.JPGdetail.JPG

#6 10 years ago

this is what i needed

detail-1.jpgdetail-1.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Don't know why I wasn't seeing "flanged".

#8 10 years ago

So you were able to get the old melted sleeve out and a new one in, right? And you checked voltage to it and the voltage was O.K. Did you check the resistance? Anything less than 2 Ohms is a dead short and that coil is toast. If Ohms are OK, you most likely fried the transistor on the driver board that drives it.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

So you were able to get the old melted sleeve out and a new one in, right? And you checked voltage to it and the voltage was O.K. Did you check the resistance? Anything less than 2 Ohms is a dead short and that coil is toast. If Ohms are OK, you most likely fried the transistor on the driver board that drives it.

To my understanding he replaced the coil with a new one.

#10 10 years ago

yes i replaced the coil and the sleeve came with the new coil....I am trying to figure out which transistor needs to be changed on the board.

#11 10 years ago

here is the area on the driver board with the connector I changed...do you know which transistor it is? keep in mind the only problem is the diverter coil.

photo(1).JPGphoto(1).JPG photo(2).JPGphoto(2).JPG

#12 10 years ago

I hope someone with more knowledge will jump in here and tell you what you need, but I would start checking the TIP122/102s. Then the 2N4401, Q15-Q22.

I'm no expert and it's just my 2 credits.

#13 10 years ago

i suspect q22/ and tip 102/30 that is the color wire that goes to the diverter coil

what about the r66-73? i'd

how do i test these? on the Mmeter? what voltage should they read?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

what about the r66-73? i'd
how do i test these? on the Mmeter? what voltage should they read?

DMM in ohms not voltage but check the other two first as I mentioned.

#15 10 years ago

what should the impedance be then?

#16 10 years ago

TIP122/102 transistors:
Put the DMM (digital multi meter) on ohms (buzz tone).
Put one lead on the ground strap in the backbox.
Touch the other lead to the metal tab on the TIP122/102 transistors.
If zero ohms (buzz) is shown, the transistor is bad! (shorted on).

2N4401: (not a 100% sure on this)
Red lead on the middle leg, black on each of the outer legs you should get around 600-800 mA.

Resistors:
66-73 should be 68 ohms +-5% if I remember my color code.

4 months later
#17 10 years ago

changed the transistor on this and the diverter works great now. It was quite a mess but with the invaluable help of Pinsider, Donjagra TFTC is now 100%

now if I can just make the gravestone trigger more sensitive....

#18 10 years ago

For posterity's sake, which transistor was it?

#19 10 years ago

Q22 I believe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.00
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-tftc-tales-from-the-crypt-diverter-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.