(Topic ID: 179853)

Data East switches not working - Need Help!

By PINBALL-LUST

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PINBALL-LUST.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I got a Phantom of the Opera. I've restored it completely about 2 years ago. Now I'm getting a recurring problem with switches. I get the "Ball Missing" error and cannot start a game. Switch #2 in the ball trough does not register in the switch test. I've replaced the switch with a new one, which lasted about 100 games and now its back to Ball Missing again. I replaced that switch again with another new one, both from Marcos, and it lasted 1 game, then does not register any more. My switch test says no bad switches, but Trough #2 does not register when engaged. Is this another problem with the Matrix? Which i know nothing about...or am I getting crap switch replacements from Marcos? Anyone know what this could be? I got one pinball game and when its down, its cry time. Thanks Phantom of the Opera #data-east

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Check the simple things first:
Use a DMM to check the switch itself for make/break. Remember, new switches are often not gapped correctly, and may need adjustment so that the contacts are the proper distance for a ball to make them contact.
Check the switch diode. (Diode function on DMM is the best way to do this, check in forward and reverse bias direction) When replacing a switch, it's usually a good idea to replace a diode with a new one - they are inexpensive.
Check the wiring upstream from the switch to the previous switch in the daisy chain. It's common when replacing a switch that is not registering, that the real problem is the switch upstream is actually not passing the signal to the switch that isn't working.

Thanks..I'll start tearing into it and try to work this one out. It's been a nightmare for this switch for some reason.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PINBALL-LUST.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-switches-not-working-need-help?tu=PINBALL-LUST and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.