(Topic ID: 196709)

The "nobody gives a crap about DE STAR WARS" restoration :)

By PACMAN

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by BenMielke
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9530 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.33.14 PM (resized).png
IMG_7267 (resized).jpg
IMG_7266 (resized).jpg
IMG_7265 (resized).jpg
IMG_7264 (resized).jpg
IMG_7263 (resized).jpg
IMG_7262 (resized).jpg
IMG_7261 (resized).jpg
IMG_7260 (resized).jpg
IMG_7259 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-1 (resized).jpg
2C5B977D-0F79-43B0-89A2-1A5266401BFA (resized).jpeg
39BA9827-B387-44CA-8DD4-EDE653A6C384 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 2.30.42 PM (resized).png
IMG_6660 (resized).jpg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Didn't like the silver paint on R2 so i stripped and sanded him down. Found a more "Chrome" like paint. Not mirror-like as he was originally, but much better. If someone knows how to source actual chrome/mirror finish paint i'd love to know before i spray this thing again.

Here he is with new coat of primer.

IMG_4041 (resized).jpgIMG_4041 (resized).jpg
#52 5 years ago

R2d2 isn't chrome.
I'd use rub and buff.
Looks screen accurate.

Screenshot_20180911-025955 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180911-025955 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180911-030051 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180911-030051 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180911-030102 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180911-030102 (resized).png
#53 5 years ago

Going to use this unless i can find something better. Krylon Premium Metallic Original Chrome

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.02.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.02.52 AM (resized).pngimage (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#54 5 years ago

There this. Pics look good. Reviews not so great though.
Chrome paint requires a ton of wet sanding and buffing to get it to look even close to chrome. That's why I'd use rub and buff. Once dry you can still polish it to a nice shine.
Screenshot_20180911-030620 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180911-030620 (resized).png

#55 5 years ago

Interesting. I'll have to do a test on something else. The R2 plastic is surprisingly fragile. Thanks.

Quoted from erak:

There this. Pics look good. Reviews not so great though.
Chrome paint requires a ton of wet sanding and buffing to get it to look even close to chrome. That's why I'd use rub and buff. Once dry you can still polish it to a nice shine.
[quoted image]

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Interesting. I'll have to do a test on something else. The R2 plastic is surprisingly fragile. Thanks.

Spray chrome

#59 5 years ago

You can do gold,copper. Spray rig will cost a pretty penny. There is guy who posts on here that does that will have to look it up he does the gun type ball shooters and any plastic parts.
Seeing your posts makes me wonder if a black chrome on the death-star would be too much seeing it's grey in the movie then mod it with blue pin point leds for the laser itself or light light pipe.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

What the heck is this?

Maybe you could try putting them directly on top of the lane guides, below the spacers, to create a 3D effect of the ship flying over that backdrop.

2 weeks later
#61 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

DE logo repainted and apron cleaned up.
[quoted image]

Would you share how your restored the logo?

Mines really bad.

#62 5 years ago

Amazing work so far. It's inspiring me to get started on mine once the reproduction playfields are shipping.

#63 5 years ago

I could see some custom air brush work on both R2 and the Death Star to age them a bit, the art on the game is not all perfect and shiny in terms of how its drawn so if done well a bit of custom work would blend in and look amazing.

As usual - looking good PACMAN!

1 month later
#64 5 years ago

Almost there!! Had a few switch matrix problems and other adjustments to make. Now its all working!

Turns out my translite is pretty crappy too. Dot matrix is out on the bottom line as well. Ugh.
Man, this game was such a TURD, literally NOTHING was usable from the original as-is. Definitely PAY a bit more for a better quality game, even if your going to fully restore it. I got bamboozled on this one.

#65 5 years ago

IMG_5528 (resized).jpgIMG_5528 (resized).jpgIMG_5529 (resized).jpgIMG_5529 (resized).jpg

IMG_5531 (resized).jpgIMG_5531 (resized).jpgIMG_5532 (resized).jpgIMG_5532 (resized).jpg
#66 5 years ago

Hmmm, looks great that machine does!!

#67 5 years ago

Lol. Thanks

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hmmm, looks great that machine does!!

#68 5 years ago

PACMAN I asked this before but would you share how your restored the Data East logo?

#69 5 years ago

On the apron? It’s just painted. I’m not real happy with it yet. Going to try something else.

Quoted from koops:

pacman I asked this before but would you share how your restored the Data East logo?

2 months later
#70 5 years ago

Got the final piece to finish my restoration! Or so i thought.

Look at the awesome translite i got off Ebay from Classic Arcades.

IMG_6659 (resized).jpgIMG_6659 (resized).jpgIMG_6660 (resized).jpgIMG_6660 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2019-01-29 at 2.30.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-29 at 2.30.42 PM (resized).png
#71 5 years ago

Yes, it’s backwards. This is the third time I’ve got a dud. All from different places.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Yes, it’s backwards. I’m just going to make my own. This is the third time I’ve got a dud. All from different places.

Man, that sucks... so close!

2 weeks later
#73 5 years ago

Looking for NOS or very nice translite

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Hoping to find New Old Stock but will settle for used, in excellent condition Data East Star Wars translight.”
2019-06-07
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Archived after: 380 days
Viewed: 255 times

1 week later
#74 5 years ago

Found a much nicer apron for my game.

2C5B977D-0F79-43B0-89A2-1A5266401BFA (resized).jpeg2C5B977D-0F79-43B0-89A2-1A5266401BFA (resized).jpeg39BA9827-B387-44CA-8DD4-EDE653A6C384 (resized).jpeg39BA9827-B387-44CA-8DD4-EDE653A6C384 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#75 5 years ago

Wow that looks like new! Was it originally a starwars apron or something else

#76 5 years ago

It was some other DE game, I cleaned it up and added the stickers and bubble levels. Found it on EBay for $20 - pictures were horrible but I rolled the dice and got lucky.

#77 5 years ago

Ordered a translite from Europe over a month ago. Still not here. Might be hung up in customs in NY.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

It was some other DE game, I cleaned it up and added the stickers and bubble levels. Found it on EBay for $20 - pictures were horrible but I rolled the dice and got lucky.

Damn that was you. I went back and forth about buying it. Looks a lot better here than the Ebay pics.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Ordered a translite from Europe over a month ago. Still not here. Might be hung up in customs in NY.

My euro package was in customs for 32 days

#80 5 years ago

DOH! Sorry.

It was a Checkpoint.

Quoted from edward472:

Damn that was you. I went back and forth about buying it. Looks a lot better here than the Ebay pics.

s-l1600-1 (resized).jpgs-l1600-1 (resized).jpg
#81 5 years ago

This is UNBELIEVABLE!! Finally got translite #4 and its total garbage. Was also shipped in a flimsy tube from the other side of the planet!

This time ordered from Retro Refurbs for $96
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/star-wars-data-east-translite/

The quality is non existent, horrible scan has no detail, just filled with blackness. Its bent all over the place. Has surface scratches everywhere.
There is ink MISSING so light shows through. And there are black ink splotches on the back, like thick black glue.

I don't know what to think, can't ANYBODY make a quality product anymore???!!!

IMG_7259 (resized).jpgIMG_7259 (resized).jpgIMG_7260 (resized).jpgIMG_7260 (resized).jpgIMG_7261 (resized).jpgIMG_7261 (resized).jpgIMG_7262 (resized).jpgIMG_7262 (resized).jpgIMG_7263 (resized).jpgIMG_7263 (resized).jpgIMG_7264 (resized).jpgIMG_7264 (resized).jpgIMG_7265 (resized).jpgIMG_7265 (resized).jpgIMG_7266 (resized).jpgIMG_7266 (resized).jpgIMG_7267 (resized).jpgIMG_7267 (resized).jpg
#82 5 years ago

All these repro guys must be using the same crappy scan. Can anyone lend me a decent translite so i can properly scan it? I couldn't use mine because it was literally fused to the glass and had burns through it. Looking back now i should have just left it on there.

#83 5 years ago

Original on left. Crappy scan everyone is using on right.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.33.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-08 at 3.33.14 PM (resized).png

#84 5 years ago

I had the privilege of owning a total restored SW. tekman worked for HEP, and this was the best I have seen.

#85 5 years ago

Man 4 bad translights? That's ridiculous. Mine has a few scratches on the back in one spot but looks pretty good overall. If I wasn't on the opposite coast I'd lend you mine.

I can't believe no one has rescanned this. I found my CPR plastics to look the same way, a little blurry and colors a little off, but they're better than having the broken ones.

Nice score on the apron!!

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Original on left. Shitty scan everyone is using on right.
[quoted image]

If you are really interested perhaps message Mikonos he's doing a jurassic translite restore atm so its something he'd potentially do.
He'd make other fantastic restores like cabinet art, custom cards, r2d2 decal etc before. His restorations are great. I can't personally vouch for translite quality but he does have the first (i think) translite here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-pinball-translite-data-east-in-restoration-process-1

#87 5 years ago

Uh, ok. Who is Tekman?
Congrations on having the best Star Wars you’ve ever seen.

Quoted from Banker:

I had the privilege of owning a total restored SW. tekman worked for HEP, and this was the best I have seen.

#88 5 years ago

Thanks, but I already have the same scan Mikonos has. It’s the same crappy scan everyone else is using.

Quoted from koops:

If you are really interested perhaps message mikonos he's doing a jurassic translite restore atm so its something he'd potentially do.
He'd make other fantastic restores like cabinet art, custom cards, r2d2 decal etc before. His restorations are great. I can't personally vouch for translite quality but he does have the first (i think) translite here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-pinball-translite-data-east-in-restoration-process-1

7 months later
#89 4 years ago

Hey guys, i'm moving on from Pinside for my arcade art and restoration stuff.

You will be able to find me here:

https://www.facebook.com/lostarcade/?view_public_for=2070619203248630

Going to have a ridiculous amount of content, pix, info, events, etc.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Hey guys, i'm moving on from Pinside for my arcade art and restoration stuff.
You will be able to find me here:
https://www.facebook.com/lostarcade/?view_public_for=2070619203248630
Going to have a ridiculous amount of content, pix, info, events, etc.

This bums me out
Facebook is the worst

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This bums me out
Facebook is the worst

He's just doing his arcade stuff on FB, he said, in his Jubmo topic, his pinball stuff will remain here. So at least we get to still see some things!

5 months later
#92 4 years ago

PACMAN

Pacman,

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm considering doing a major cabinet refurb on my SW machine, and your work looks great! I would like to know what cabinet decal vendor you chose... there are many out there, but quality is key. I was also wondering if you ever found a decent repro translite.

Finally, and this is definitely an opinion question: What's your take on the value of a refurbished cabinet (one executed as nicely as yours) with repro decals as opposed to leaving the cab "original" and attempting to make repairs?

Would you share how you would assign value to the machine restored in this thread? To me, a working, nice condition route unit would be around $3,500 before upgrades... a completely restored one would be of much higher resale value in my opinion...

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidGamer:

PACMAN
Pacman,
Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm considering doing a major cabinet refurb on my SW machine, and your work looks great! I would like to know what cabinet decal vendor you chose... there are many out there, but quality is key. I was also wondering if you ever found a decent repro translite.
Finally, and this is definitely an opinion question: What's your take on the value of a refurbished cabinet (one executed as nicely as yours) with repro decals as opposed to leaving the cab "original" and attempting to make repairs?
Would you share how you would assign value to the machine restored in this thread? To me, a working, nice condition route unit would be around $3,500 before upgrades... a completely restored one would be of much higher resale value in my opinion...

Phoenix Arcade's silkscreened artwork is probably as good as it can get.

https://www.phoenixarcade.com/products/star-wars/star-wars-data-east-pinball-cabinet-decal-set

3 years later
#94 5 months ago

Cabinet paint:
After a few attempts to computer color match at Home Depot I ended up using S-G-560 Jazz blue from some swatches they had. It’s pretty close if anyone needs help on this

IMG_9530 (resized).jpegIMG_9530 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-restoration/page/2?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.