(Topic ID: 258188)

Data East Star Wars R2D2 & Death Star not rotating?

By RestonVA

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Ed-g-hog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I finally was able to find a good looking Data East Star Wars and it plays well and R2D2 bops up and down, but R2D2 and the Death Star don't rotate most of the time. Sometimes once in 5 plays I see both of them moving for a second during play and then they stop. I have checked the voltage going to the relays under the play field and that is about 30V. Unplugged and replugged all connectors. All wires look clean, shaking the machine or touching the wires don't make them rotate.

I am close to giving up, any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Make sure that R2's head or the death star aren't binding at any point in their rotations. My death star would stop occasionally because it was rubbing on one of the plastics. It doesn't take much to stop them.

-Paul

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Paul, I moved them carefully by hand while the game is on and seem to move fine. But they don't spin by themselves.

#4 4 years ago

Do they work properly in the test menus?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Do they work properly in the test menus?

I don't think there is a specific test for them, but I did try burn in mode, and they don't move during burn in.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RestonVA:

I don't think there is a specific test for them, but I did try burn in mode, and they don't move during burn in.

I really don’t know if there is or not but how about trying a factory reset

#7 4 years ago

Are they opto controlled?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RestonVA:

There's a motor test for the death star, I think it's under the coil section. You can step through each in the diagnostics. More than likely the motor's gears are all stripped out or the motor's dead. Since you've seen both work occasionally, this seems most likely. If they were totally dead, I'd say check the transistor Q24 which controls the death star motor.

Could also be an intermittently working relay.

#9 4 years ago

Cold solder joints on the relay board?

#10 4 years ago

chad is right , either that or both motors are bad , which does happen.

1 week later
#11 4 years ago

I did reflow both relay boards and they work now, thank you all!!!

They start moving after the first time R2D2 bobs; the Death Star stutters in the beginning and after a few seconds changes direction and after that keeps rotating normally.
Could that have to do with my ROM? it is very old: USA CPU 1.02

I got a 1.07 file from a shady source, are these the correct checksums?
CRC32 1a801b7e
MD5 b98aa0b1b9b163f98d1a20da382a692a
SHA1 fef567126dff87a2cb31401b029c3050438072b7

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from RestonVA:

I did reflow both relay boards and they work now, thank you all!!!
They start moving after the first time R2D2 bobs; the Death Star stutters in the beginning and after a few seconds changes direction and after that keeps rotating normally.
Could that have to do with my ROM? it is very old: USA CPU 1.02
I got a 1.07 file from a shady source, are these the correct checksums?
CRC32 1a801b7e
MD5 b98aa0b1b9b163f98d1a20da382a692a
SHA1 fef567126dff87a2cb31401b029c3050438072b7

If you're not sure about it, just get it from pinballcode.com and patch your own so you're 100% sure.

#13 4 years ago

www.pinballroms.com is "temporarily" offline since 9/26/2017

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RestonVA:

www.pinballroms.com is "temporarily" offline since 9/26/2017

Sorry. Brain fart. www.pinballcode.com

4 months later
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Cold solder joints on the relay board?

Hi Chad are these the 2 small relay boards under the mid play field ?

Both my r2 and Death Star stopped although both working a couple of weeks ago and I swear I see r2 move slightly every now and again

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed-g-hog:

Hi Chad are these the 2 small relay boards under the mid play field ?
Both my r2 and Death Star stopped although both working a couple of weeks ago and I swear I see r2 move slightly every now and again

If you turn them on in test and check the voltage at the motor connectors and it has voltage, then you likely have one or two bad motors. It's pretty common that they stop turning on that machine.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you turn them on in test and check the voltage at the motor connectors and it has voltage, then you likely have one or two bad motors. It's pretty common that they stop turning on that machine.

Apologies for being ignorant...how do I turn on within test ??? I did go into the coils menu and it cycles the coils, can I pick which to switch on ???

#18 3 years ago

The grease inside those motors has solidified on a lot of these older games - my Death Star only turns if I give it a little nudge. Unfortunately the motors are enclosed, but they can be cut open and cleaned up. I think Marco carries them too, if you aren't lucky enough to just re-flow the relay board -

#19 3 years ago

Just switched the machine on and both R2 and death star rotating and then they stop so I will try the relay board and have now found a picture from a previous post showing where it is. There is a second relay board under the playfield, does anyone know what that one is for ??

#20 3 years ago

I’m the test menu under coils,are a test for both the R2 and Death Star rotation

#21 3 years ago

Thanks everyone, a quick bit of soldering on the relay board and R2 and Death Star normal service has resumed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-r2d2-amp-death-star-not-rotating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.