(Topic ID: 234850)

Data East Star Wars possible power issue?

By ps02cdgs

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190202_202325 (resized).jpg
    20181104_202325 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_162706 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_162801 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_162757 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_163212 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_163224 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Hello from Jersey (not New Jersey - old Jersey!). I've luckily managed to get my hands on two pinball tables but I'm having trouble with one of them and I'm hoping you guys can help as I'm a n00b when it comes to all this (although not for long I hope).

It's a Data East Star Wars table and was working perfectly until we moved it to my place. Now when we turn it on, the lights all turn on but only random pixels appear on the display board and that's it. No movement or anything further.

When we open the backboard, most of the bulbs are lit, but none of the LEDs come on at all (PIA or 5v) so presume there's an issue with power to the CPU board? I've added a few photo's for reference. The only other thing I can see is some possible burn marks on the main board, shown in the pic - could this be the issue? If so, what's the fix or next steps, thanks.

Would really appreciate some help, especially as I live on a small island with no repair shops! Thanks in advance everyone!

IMG_20190126_162706 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162757 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162801 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_163212 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_163224 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 months ago

First start with simple things. Check all your fuses with a multimeter if you can, since it is sometimes impossible to tell by visual inspection. Next, reseat all your connectors in the back box, including reseating the ribbon cables. The burn on the boards is somewhat common and unless you see any broken resistors in that area, I wouldn’t worry about that.

The third pic down is your power supply board. Make sure all of the white connectors are reseated.

#3 4 months ago

Hi Scoot,

Thanks for the prompt response. I can confirm I've checked all of the fuses and reseated all of the ribbon cables and other connectors for all of the components in the backboard and also reconnected all of the cables running from the power supply all the way through to the backboard...

Glad to hear that the burn on the boards is nothing significant to worry about!

Any ideas for the next steps? Thanks.

#4 4 months ago

Be sure to double check the pin condition on the CN1 connector on the power supply board.
    They get toasted sometimes and lead to power issues like described.
    As a matter of factly, I have a DE Star Wars needing a CN1 pin replacement right now.
    Good luck.

John

#5 4 months ago

The next step I usually take is to test the voltage pots on the power board. You would need a multimeter for this step. Put the - end on a grounding strap and the + end on circular pots to see what voltage you are getting. The voltage should be marked.

Also check the connector CN5, and CN6. look to see if all the wires are securely connected to the IDC connector. Sometimes a wire can come dislodged from the white connector.

20181104_202325 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 months ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

The next step I usually take is to test the voltage pots on the power board.

I think you meant "points" - not *pots*. Test points, that is. I agree, you need to test all your voltages with a DMM/Voltmeter.

Quoted from ps02cdgs:

I can confirm I've checked all of the fuses

Checking fuses is best accomplished by checking for proper voltages at the fuses. What good is a highway bridge if no traffic is crossing it? The fuses may be good but is there any current flow through said fuses?

#7 4 months ago
    Quoted from johnjones:

Be sure to double check the pin condition on the CN1 connector on the power supply board.
    They get toasted sometimes and lead to power issues like described.
    As a matter of factly, I have a DE Star Wars needing a CN1 pin replacement right now.
    Good luck.
    John

Hi John,
    Thanks for the pointers - does this look like the CN1 connector is toasted? If so, any recommendations for online spares?
    Cheers!

IMG_20190202_202325 (resized).jpg
    #8 4 months ago

That one is bad, marco has a kit to replace it but any electronics suppliers over there should have those molex connectors.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKWMS

1 week later
    #9 4 months ago

Part has finally arrived from a UK supplier and I've just disconnected and removed the power supply board. Before I do anything I can't undo just wanted to check next steps...

Planning to remove the board mounted part of the connector by melting the solder on the underneath of the power supply board, and solder the new part on (or could I just replace the problematic pin?)

I'll then do the same with the connector on the end of the cables, or can I just replace the blown pin?

Thanks again!

#10 4 months ago

Replace the entire connector, male and female and be done with it. It will be more reliable in the long run than taking a shortcut

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 999.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6,450.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside