(Topic ID: 234850)

Data East Star Wars possible power issue?

By ps02cdgs

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dmatos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2020-05-17 18.48.56 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190202_202325 (resized).jpg
    20181104_202325 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_162706 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_162801 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_162757 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_163212 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190126_163224 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Hello from Jersey (not New Jersey - old Jersey!). I've luckily managed to get my hands on two pinball tables but I'm having trouble with one of them and I'm hoping you guys can help as I'm a n00b when it comes to all this (although not for long I hope).

It's a Data East Star Wars table and was working perfectly until we moved it to my place. Now when we turn it on, the lights all turn on but only random pixels appear on the display board and that's it. No movement or anything further.

When we open the backboard, most of the bulbs are lit, but none of the LEDs come on at all (PIA or 5v) so presume there's an issue with power to the CPU board? I've added a few photo's for reference. The only other thing I can see is some possible burn marks on the main board, shown in the pic - could this be the issue? If so, what's the fix or next steps, thanks.

Would really appreciate some help, especially as I live on a small island with no repair shops! Thanks in advance everyone!

IMG_20190126_162706 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162706 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162757 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162757 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162801 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_162801 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_163212 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_163212 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_163224 (resized).jpgIMG_20190126_163224 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

First start with simple things. Check all your fuses with a multimeter if you can, since it is sometimes impossible to tell by visual inspection. Next, reseat all your connectors in the back box, including reseating the ribbon cables. The burn on the boards is somewhat common and unless you see any broken resistors in that area, I wouldn’t worry about that.

The third pic down is your power supply board. Make sure all of the white connectors are reseated.

#3 5 years ago

Hi Scoot,

Thanks for the prompt response. I can confirm I've checked all of the fuses and reseated all of the ribbon cables and other connectors for all of the components in the backboard and also reconnected all of the cables running from the power supply all the way through to the backboard...

Glad to hear that the burn on the boards is nothing significant to worry about!

Any ideas for the next steps? Thanks.

#4 5 years ago

Be sure to double check the pin condition on the CN1 connector on the power supply board.
    They get toasted sometimes and lead to power issues like described.
    As a matter of factly, I have a DE Star Wars needing a CN1 pin replacement right now.
    Good luck.

John

#5 5 years ago

The next step I usually take is to test the voltage pots on the power board. You would need a multimeter for this step. Put the - end on a grounding strap and the + end on circular pots to see what voltage you are getting. The voltage should be marked.

Also check the connector CN5, and CN6. look to see if all the wires are securely connected to the IDC connector. Sometimes a wire can come dislodged from the white connector.

20181104_202325 (resized).jpg20181104_202325 (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

The next step I usually take is to test the voltage pots on the power board.

I think you meant "points" - not *pots*. Test points, that is. I agree, you need to test all your voltages with a DMM/Voltmeter.

Quoted from ps02cdgs:

I can confirm I've checked all of the fuses

Checking fuses is best accomplished by checking for proper voltages at the fuses. What good is a highway bridge if no traffic is crossing it? The fuses may be good but is there any current flow through said fuses?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from johnjones:

Be sure to double check the pin condition on the CN1 connector on the power supply board.
    They get toasted sometimes and lead to power issues like described.
    As a matter of factly, I have a DE Star Wars needing a CN1 pin replacement right now.
    Good luck.
    John

Hi John,
    Thanks for the pointers - does this look like the CN1 connector is toasted? If so, any recommendations for online spares?
    Cheers!

IMG_20190202_202325 (resized).jpgIMG_20190202_202325 (resized).jpg
    #8 5 years ago

That one is bad, marco has a kit to replace it but any electronics suppliers over there should have those molex connectors.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKWMS

1 week later
    #9 5 years ago

Part has finally arrived from a UK supplier and I've just disconnected and removed the power supply board. Before I do anything I can't undo just wanted to check next steps...

Planning to remove the board mounted part of the connector by melting the solder on the underneath of the power supply board, and solder the new part on (or could I just replace the problematic pin?)

I'll then do the same with the connector on the end of the cables, or can I just replace the blown pin?

Thanks again!

#10 5 years ago

Replace the entire connector, male and female and be done with it. It will be more reliable in the long run than taking a shortcut

1 year later
    #11 3 years ago

(I messaged Scoot directly - before I was verified, but if this can get sorted out publicly then it may help someone else, too.)

My PIA LED is out (the Blank and +5 are on), it seems to come on briefly and then go off. I have either no sound after "May the Force be with you" or it plays for a minute or so and then stops. Only static/hiss from speakers from that point further. I also can not get any sound doing the diagnostics. I am reasonably mechanically inclined, however get overwhelmed with electrical stuff, but am willing to test and learn. I have a multmeter, but would need to know what/where to test so I don't burn stuff up.

-- Rather than trying to retype everything, here is an old reddit that didn't help much but with some updates--

I have a DE Star Wars with sound problems. The sound almost sounds like it gets stuck. Basically the same note stays on and no new sounds come out. You can still play the game, just with that continuing note in the background. We have to shut it off and turn it back on and that usually fixes it, but the more we play it the sooner it happens.

Troubleshooting attempts:

Machine worked fine when i bought it. Once at home the sound started locking up, so I bought new video and audio ROMs off of ebay. Swapped them and it continued.

I obtained a second new Sound ROMs (Cliffy, the guard guy, was helping me troubleshoot way back and he sent me new ones) and I swapped it and same problem. Switching back to the original ROMs doesn't seem to help.

Q: Could putting the latest Sound ROMS have caused such a problem? The video ROM went from 2 chip to 1 chip and I had to clip a jumper, but I don't believe there wasn't anything like that to do with the sound ROMs, so I either missed something, messed something up or multiple copies of the ROM are bad.

The only other thing I have done is replace the Death Star Motor and the problem started around that time, so I don't know if it's unrelated or just coincidence. update: I unhooked the Death Star motor completely and it's still happening.

I have not ruled out an amplifier/volume control knob problem either. The volume knob looks like an old Radio Shack knob, it's about 3 inches long and comes out of a metal box (I assume the amplifier). Maybe I just need a new potentiometer?

Any suggestions on what to check? How to proceed?

2020-05-17 18.48.56 (resized).jpg2020-05-17 18.48.56 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-possible-power-issue-?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.