Data East Star Wars Owners Question?

By SpaceWar

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello all,

I just picked up one of these last weekend and have already cleaned and waxed the playfield and am looking at installing some LED's into it. Still need to re-rubber it and get some new pinballs, but in going over the game and playing it a bit, I have a question about something that does not seem to be working.

It's the Admiral Ackbar plastic that stands up about center of the playfield. There are two LED's in that piece already but I have yet to see it light up. Is there something special to get him to light up, or should it be lit up all the time?

TIA for any info.
Tom

#2 9 years ago

The lights inside the Admiral Ackbar are GI lights to help light up R2-D2. They should be lit when the rest of the general illumination is lit.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the info Chad! Well, they're not so I guess I'll dig into it a bit to see what's up.

Thx
Tom

#4 9 years ago

Tom,
Be sure to have the machine off if you are tinkering with those 2 lights. I had it on and it blew out all my GIs in the upper left portion of the playfield when messing with those. Turned out I blew a fuse and it was an easy fix, but just a heads up to always have the machine off when screwing around with the lights.
Good luck,
Rob

3 months later
#5 9 years ago

I've dug into this problem further and found that 'ol Admiral Akbar's lights were only a symptom of a larger problem. All of the upper GI lighting is out too. The #89 flashers are working but very weak so you can't see them.

Diving into the backbox and tracing out wires for the GI, I found 2 connectors on the power supply board with burnt connectors, and one on the PPB board that was not obvious until I pulled - I think it was J5 -the connector. A pin on the end was melted pretty well.

I've ordered a Rottendog power supply replacement just to cut down some heat in the back box, and will be replacing the 3 burnt connectors with new ones and hope that's the problem. Won't know until next weekend when I can work on it again - Labor day weekend. Finally ordered pin crimpers with the ps order, tired of soldering pins!

Thx for the replies.
Tom

#6 9 years ago

I'm new to your topic and glad you found the problem. This is a very good reason to switch to led's. Do you have a Kill-A-Watt power consumption meter? Come join the DE Star Wars Club. I started it a while ago.

#7 9 years ago

Hi Paul, thx for the reply. I plan on switching to LED's here shortly. I worked on the pin last weekend. Installed the PS and replaced the connectors. The upper playfield GI lights are working now, Admiral FishHead too, Woot! Flashers are still really dim so I have some more work to do there. I will check out your owners thread, thanks!

Tom

#8 9 years ago

Glad to here your fix's are working. Yes join the club.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-owners-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.