Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Star Wars Switch Matrix.jpg

#1 7 years ago

The outhole ball return coil in my DE Star Wars just started to malfunction. It is firing continuously.

#2 7 years ago

Does it:
1) Fire and stay energized
or
2)Fire repeatedly every second or so

#3 7 years ago

It fires every second or so.

#4 7 years ago

Check the switch, something is telling it to fire. If it was on continuously it would fry the coil (transistor).

#5 7 years ago

I disconnected the switch and it still clicks away every other second.

#6 7 years ago

When I try diagnostics, the test goes through one test after another by itself. I can't do individual testing. I push start for single play and the game spits out 2 balls and now it is on two player. When the balls drain the outhole coil does not send the ball into the trough. If you press the fire button the left kicker goes off! The outhole coil is still firing every other second if you are not playing. I don't play SW often and have not had any issues till now.

#7 7 years ago

What happened to the game just before this started?

#8 7 years ago

My friend and I were trying to play two player. I could not tell you when it was played more than single play before. Last time I played it was OK.

#9 7 years ago

More than likely it's just a problem with a switch or associated wiring of row 2 or column 2. Start a game so that it's acting up. Pull CN8 and CN10 from the MPU. If it stops pulsing it's a simple switch matrix problem. Check the switches and diodes on row 2 and column 2. If it continues then there is an issue with the MPU.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks. CN10 pulled stops the coil pulse. I don't know how to locate row 2 column 2. Not sure what you mean. DE dm display is not like the Williams. I don't see the layout on the display. When I did diagnostics for switch tests, the test zipped through all and then stopped. I could not do it one by one manually.

#11 7 years ago

Fairly sure LAH & Star Wars have the same driver board. I would try to switch them & see if the problem still happens. It's sounding more like a board issue. If I can help, let me know, it looks like you are nearby.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks. I live in East Allen Township. I will swap the board tomorrow and let you know the results.

#13 7 years ago

The power board swap did not fix issue. Coil still pulsing.

#14 7 years ago

Did I swap the wrong board? Did you mean the CPU board? I will swap that.

#15 7 years ago

Not meaning to overstate the obvious but you did remove the balls first right?

CN10 is the switch return. All the switches are normally open. Having the pulsing stop when you pull CN10 should rule out it being a board problem. In my experience if the problem was on the board one of two things would happen. Either the pulsing would remain with the switch matrix (CN8 & CN10) unplugged or the pulsing wouldn't happen until another switch was tripped. That's why it's important to make sure no balls are in the trough when you do this type of diagnosis.

The outhole is switch 10 which is the intersection of row 2 and column 2. Your problem should be on one (or more) of the switches on either that row or column.

Star Wars Switch Matrix.jpgStar Wars Switch Matrix.jpg

#16 7 years ago

Got it. Thanks. I will test those switches.

#17 7 years ago

Left X-wing target switch is bad. Hope new switch will fix the problem.

#18 7 years ago

I replaced both X-wing switches. Did not fix the pulsing kicker. The left X-wing switch does not activate when hit just as before. I also replaced the start button that was in rough shape. The start button changed nothing.

#19 7 years ago

Ok, let's start from scratch. Does the outhole kick with no balls in the game anywhere and CN8 and CN10 plugged in? If it does and pulling CN10 stops it, then you have a problem with the switches or diodes on the matrix. If it only acts up if there is a switch made, say a ball in the trough, then it also could be an issue on the MPU board. Probably Q54.

Again, check all wiring and diodes associated with all the switches on row and column 2. A shorted diode or broken wire coming in contact with something else can screw up that row or column.

#20 7 years ago

I started looking at the back box fuses and wiring and found a couple of loose plugs. Reset the plugs and now the game is OK. Thanks to all for the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-outhole-coil-on-continuously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.