(Topic ID: 2337)

data east star wars. keeps blowing ppb f1 fuse. no backbox lights.

By mwirta

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by mwirta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

cant find a wiring diagram. so i cannot test. any known problems. almost got this machine back from the dead. and this problem is driving me crazy.

#2 13 years ago

can i overfuse and look for the smoking gun?

#3 13 years ago

If you think you're having issues now, wait to see the issues that arise due to bigger fuses...

Download the manual here.............

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=star+wars&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2358

After you Download the manual. Click this site and R E A D it then reread again..Let it sink in. It's hard for anyone to help when the only info we have is GI is blowing fuse1.. There's not just one thing that could blow F1..

Start your reading on pinrepair for your GI issues at -- 2c. Before Turning the Game On: Burnt Connectors (Power & G.I.)
The BEST thing to do when troubleshooting is to stay calm and look for the obvious first. Countless times people have made a bigger mess by jumping to conclusions and start attacking the wrong component.

http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index1.htm

#4 13 years ago

i downloaded that manual but it ony goes to page 42. i need page 57 of that manual. maybe i just need to buy the manual. i love playing this game and having to fix it is getting frustrating. but thank you for your help. i already disconnected the backbox wiring so it must be a gi light or connector at the playfield thats causing problems. or maybe coin door lighting.

#5 13 years ago

OK....... I'm not a mod, so I can't put all your different posts together in this post...

For everyone to be able to help we need to know all that you've tried and exactly what it's doing..

Give us a rundown on EVERYTHING you've done so far and the Signs and Symptoms and we'll track it in this post ( should make it easier for everyone to follow).

#6 13 years ago

ok sorry.
one day my friend came over and tried to play the machine. the flippers were weak and the backlights did not work. the backlights probably had not worked in a while and i really did not notice. so i went after the flippers first. i found that the diode just above the L/R relay on the ppb board was cut i replaced that. i started it back up and the laser kickback stuck on and started smoking.the fuses on the ppb board f1,f2,f5 kept blowing.i removed the coil. now the flippers worked fine. ordered coil for kickback and transistor. backbox lights still inop. keeps blowing f1 on the power board. disconnected the plug that goes to the backbox and still blows that fuse. thinking playfield gi. checked the ry1 relay and ok. have a burned out pin on the power board pin 12 at cn1. looks like it is soldered to ground. or melted to ground. replaced the batterys about 2 years ago they leaked down onto the transistors on the cpu board. game worked fine after that.

#7 13 years ago

Couple things here......

1- When the Laser kick is stuck on it's usually the TIP36C on the PPB.. Check the tip36c with a DMM... If it's good check the TIP122 on the MPU.. If the 36C is bad replace it-I'd also suggest replacing the TIP122 also(replace Tip122 with TIP102) if TIP36c is bad...

2- try checking out manuals for lethal weapon 3.... there close in manufacturing date and have the same PPB, might help you out on the pinouts...

3- the F1 that keeps blowing, what board is it on? If it's on the PPB that's your PF GI...

4- CN1 on what board?

I'll look @ LW3 and see if it jives with SW......... Will check back in 10-15 min.

#8 13 years ago

f1 on the ppb board is the one thats blowing. if its the playfield gi how will i find where? pull bulbs? thanks for your help. it gives me great peace of mind.

#9 13 years ago

KK................

F1 on the PPB is PF GI.................

We'll get to that in a sec..... On the PPB check Q4 with your DMM(laser kick I believe)
Do you know how to test the tip36c?

The ""power board pin 12 at cn1" I'm gonna check right now..

#10 13 years ago

From pinrepair... Check these connectors. If any are burnt or discolored your going to need to replace them.. a quick fix can be reflowing the solder of the connector of the PCB, clean the male pins that go to the connector along with the female connectors.. This is not a permanent fix..

"The Flow of the GI Power (GI Failure).
DataEast's design for the electrical flow of the general illumination power leads to lots of potential problem areas.

GI Power comes from the transformer with four yellow wires.
GI power goes to a four pin Molex connector, about 10 inches from the transformer.
GI Power goes to the power supply board through an input molex plug.
GI power goes to a relay on the power supply board. This relay can be activated to turn on and off the GI.
GI power leaves the power supply board through an output molex plug.
GI Power goes into the PPB board through an input molex plug.
GI Power goes through a fuse (and potentially cracked fuse holders!)
GI Power leaves the PPB board through an output molex plug, and goes to the backbox or playfield.
Notice all the molex plugs in the above power flow! Each molex plug is a potential problem in the GI power flow, and can (and does) easily burn. Add to this cold solder joints on the GI relay, and bad/cracked fuse holders on the PPB board (see the section above about fatiqued fuse holders), and that is a formula for general illumination failure.

#11 13 years ago

ok sounds good. i am going to check that transistor. thanks again. will get back later.

#12 13 years ago

WOW. thanks. fixed the playfield and backlight problem. replaced the f1 fuse on the ppb board. lifted the board up. turned off all the lights in the gameroom. turned on the game and could see a wire getting hot. i found a short right where the playfield slides against the track on the right side. it must of shorted when i first lifted the playfield. a leg on the light socket had bent over. i am almost there. going after the transistor now. thanks again.

#13 13 years ago

Pinside has the best people ... thanks for helping MCO

#14 13 years ago

found q1 on the ppb was bad. everything working fine now. thanks to everyone for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-keeps-blowing-ppb-f1-fuse-no-backbox-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.