You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4182 (resized).jpg
IMG_4183 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hello,

I have been working on a DE Star Wars. No DMD. I replaced with a fully working and tested DMD, I replaced the DMD driver with a new one. I also replaced the power board with a new one. Finally, I replaced the ROM chips with a brand new matching set, one on the dmd driver, and the other on the CPU. NO ACTION! I tested continuity on all wires, checked solder points on all connectors. No action! The game plays, just no DMD. Throughout the troubleshooting process, I re-tested the DMD and driver on a DE Lethal weapon, and works fine. I gave up and the game has been sitting. Any advice!?

#2 1 year ago

Check connector CN2 on video board.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Dot_Matrix_Issues

Check voltages at display. *HIGH VOLTAGE* If you're not comfortable using a meter, find someone who is.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Testing_DMD_HV_Power

2 months later
#3 10 months ago

Thanks phishrace
I have some updates... but still no solution!
Cross tested the following in another DE cab:
- DMD - good
- 2X Ribbon cables - good
- DMD Driver - good
- all voltages to all connectors measure fine from the power supply
- grounding straps in place

Here is what I am uncertain of:
- Are the new ROMS I installed on the driver and the CPU good?
- Is there an issue with my CPU?

I attached a couple photos. I have the old ROMs but not sure of the original positioning.

IMG_4182 (resized).jpgIMG_4183 (resized).jpg
#4 10 months ago

With the 26-pin ribbon cable (that comes from the CPU to the display board) disconnected, the display board should show a splash screen that shows the display ROM version at power up. If you're not getting the splash screen, there's a problem with the display board or the DMD.

After power up, the display board will idle without displaying anything until it receives a command from the CPU over the 26-pin ribbon cable.

If you see the splash screen, but nothing after that, the problem is with the communication between the CPU and the display board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!