• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pudealee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums, so I first want to say hello. I am new to pinball repair, and I have a couple questions regarding my Data East Star Wars pinball machine that I hope someone would be able to answer for me.

After transporting the machine and plugging it back in, the DMD will display version information, but then goes black at the point where the Tie Fighter flies back and forth for the skill shot. I still get sound, but no display beyond the initial configuration screen.I was able to reach in from the back with the backglass folded down and re-seat a couple cables that seemed loose on the board, but that didn't fix the issue. I am suspecting another loose cable that will require me to open the back glass panel in order to access it. This is my first time doing this, and I am having difficulty getting it open. I used the key to open it, but when I try to push up and pull out the glass and artwork they get caught on the black plastic piece around the DMD. Is this piece supposed to come out first, or should I be able to lift the glass and artwork enough to clear that black piece and remove it? I just don't want to bust the black plastic piece around the DMD if it isn't supposed to come out.

So all of that to basically ask:

#1 Do you think that it might just be a loose cable causing the issue with the display?

#2 Any tips on removing the blackglass and whether or not the black plastic piece around the DMD needs to be removed first? All the videos I watched didn't show the black piece being removed which is why I'm concerned that I am having troubles with this.

Thank you for any help you can provide! I greatly appreciate it!

#2 9 years ago

Where are you located? My first issues and experiences with pinball machines I searched and found a local pinball wizard in my area and invited him over to help fix some issues. Most people in this community will help out for free especially if they live close to you. Easy way to meet local people in the hobby and expand your knowledge of the pin.

As far as your issue it could be a bad rom maybe or a bad connection. The dmd panel will pull straight up and you can lay it down on top of the play field to access it. I would look back in the circuit board area and remove and reset all connections and go from there.

#3 9 years ago

Starting with the backglass. Make sure the top lock is in the unlock position. From there lift the backglass up by the plastic lip (it should clear the bottom DMD/Speaker Panel that it rests on). Once up pull the bottom out slighltly. From there you should be able to grab the backglass and take it out of the machine.
The speakerpanel containing the DMD should lift up. From there you can lay it down on the playfiled glass. I would check both connections going into the DMD, and from the DMD into the main board. Trying reseating the cable on both sides.

Once done, and have everything back together, I would run tests via the coindoor buttons. There is even a display test accessed via these buttons. Does the display continue to work during this or does it fizzle out? Give a try to the above, and let us know what happens.

There could be several issues causing flakiness on your DMD, so lets rule out the easy stuff first.

2 months later
#4 9 years ago

Did you ever resolve your issue? I am having almost the exact situation. I am waiting on a new ribbon cable to install, so I hope that's it for me. I'd be interested in how/if you resolved it.

New ribbon cable came in today - no help!

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-dmd-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.