IMG_8814.jpg
IMG_8816.jpg
IMG_8815.jpg
IMG_8813.jpg
IMG_8812.jpg
IMG_8811.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-09-29_at_5.42.15_PM.png
#1 8 years ago

Ok so I recently bought a Data East Star Wars machine with the display not working and general illumination not working. There is power to the display board and the display is operational, but nothing shows up on it? Could it be a bad cable? Any ideas? Also the general illumination is out but there is 5V on the lights but still no light? any suggestions would be great thanks!

#2 8 years ago

First thing download the manual at Ipdb.com.

Check the fuses with a DMM.

Bulbs work?

Check to make sure all the ribbon cables and connectors are seated correctly. Ribbon cables could be backwards. Check for burned pins on the connectors. Replace those.

Those are the easy things to check first.

Also search the threads, there's a ton of info on the subject.

#3 8 years ago

Fuses are good, bulbs work. I ordered new data cables and checked them seem to be ok. Any other suggestions? How can I tell if the pins are burned?

#4 8 years ago

Look for brown or black burn marks on the connector.

Also make sure fuses are correct size or it may happen again after you fix the problem.

This is a great resource

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#reset

#5 8 years ago

Hmm ok power board that is attached to the display seems to have a connector that is brown. Can this be repaired or do I need a new board?

#6 8 years ago

Connectors are easy to replace so it can't hurt. I would also check to make sure the voltages going to that connector are correct. Pinballlife or Marco will have a connector. Make sure to get the wire insertion tool or just get a kit.

#7 8 years ago

Seems to be some gray stuff on 2 of the connectors? Could that be an issue?

Screen_Shot_2015-09-29_at_5.42.15_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-09-29_at_5.42.15_PM.png

#8 8 years ago

I would say no but can't hurt to clean that off. Contact cleaner and a qtip should do it.

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

Update... Still need help any other ideas?

Bought new cables - No change still a blank screen
Bought a new DMD controller board - No change still a blank screen

#10 8 years ago

Can you post a picture of all the boards with the game turned on? Hope you can also get a picture of the ribbon cables connected to the new DMD controller board.

Did you measure the voltages from the power supply board?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you post a picture of all the boards with the game turned on? Hope you can also get a picture of the ribbon cables connected to the new DMD controller board.
Did you measure the voltages from the power supply board?

Here you go! Let me know what you think?

IMG_8811.jpgIMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8812.jpgIMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8813.jpgIMG_8813.jpg

IMG_8815.jpgIMG_8815.jpg

IMG_8816.jpgIMG_8816.jpg

IMG_8814.jpgIMG_8814.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Try swapping the large ribbon cable around 180 degrees at J1 of the DMD controller board only so the red stripe (pin 1) is on the right instead of the left.

#13 8 years ago

Considering you two problems, the bridge rectifier that supplies your DC voltage to the controlled lamp circuit could be bad. Have you measured it's DC output voltage with the game on.
Did you check the fuse (I believe 5amp) that corresponds to this bridge with a voltage meter?

The 2 fuses, and 2 bridges I'm referring too are located directly above the large blue filter capacitor. Your manual will direct you to the one used to supply the controlled lamps, based on DC output wire color.

#14 8 years ago

I see on your power supply when I zoom up on it, it looks like C3 (47uf 63 volt) has the top buldged out. Can you feel if it is or if it is flat? If buldged, it would need to be replaced. Also at the same time, I would change C2 (100uf 25V or 50V) as well as this one is prone to failure due to being exposed to high heat all during its life and can cause low or loss of 5 volts, which will give either resets or not power up the game at all.

So if the ribbon cable being swapped around did not fix it, then this C3 likely is the cause. To verify, you need to measure the voltages going to the DMD. C3 keeps the 62 volts stable for the DMD to function. This would be the next suspected thing to check along with the -112v and -100v coming out of the power supply.

#15 8 years ago

Are you sure you all getting all the voltages at dmd? -110v -98v +68v +5v +12v

Andrew

#16 8 years ago

If your pulling the power supply to change caps, change them all.

#17 8 years ago

Also can you snap a picture of the playfield with the game turned on?
Just want to make sure there is no confusion between GI lamps and the controlled insert (feature) lamps.

#18 8 years ago

As an alternative to replacing caps, X pin makes an excellent drop in replacement

http://xpinpinball.com/shop/product/xpin-xp-sghv-power-supply-data-east-games

You can always repair the old one and sell or keep as a backup

#19 8 years ago

Lots of good stuff I need to check...

#20 8 years ago

Try swapping the large ribbon cable around 180 degrees at J1 of the DMD controller board only so the red stripe (pin 1) is on the right instead of the left.

Did that no change...

Quoted from Freeworld:

Considering you two problems, the bridge rectifier that supplies your DC voltage to the controlled lamp circuit could be bad. Have you measured it's DC output voltage with the game on.
Did you check the fuse (I believe 5amp) that corresponds to this bridge with a voltage meter?
The 2 fuses, and 2 bridges I'm referring too are located directly above the large blue filter capacitor. Your manual will direct you to the one used to supply the controlled lamps, based on DC output wire color.

I reseated them both did not check voltages

I see on your power supply when I zoom up on it, it looks like C3 (47uf 63 volt) has the top buldged out. Can you feel if it is or if it is flat? If buldged, it would need to be replaced. Also at the same time, I would change C2 (100uf 25V or 50V) as well as this one is prone to failure due to being exposed to high heat all during its life and can cause low or loss of 5 volts, which will give either resets or not power up the game at all.
So if the ribbon cable being swapped around did not fix it, then this C3 likely is the cause. To verify, you need to measure the voltages going to the DMD. C3 keeps the 62 volts stable for the DMD to function. This would be the next suspected thing to check along with the -112v and -100v coming out of the power supply.

I swapped out for a brand new power supply and had the same issue. Power supply should be fine I tried the xpin and rottendog both performed the same.

Quoted from Slackmoe:

Are you sure you all getting all the voltages at dmd? -110v -98v +68v +5v +12v
Andrew

Not sure have to check on this one...

Also can you snap a picture of the playfield with the game turned on?
Just want to make sure there is no confusion between GI lamps and the controlled insert (feature) lamps.

My GI is totally out too at this point.

#21 8 years ago

Sorry I'm not sure how to delete duplicate posts.

#22 8 years ago

Hmmm....So on the back of the machine and the inside of the cabinet on the right, there is a s/n label. Is it labeled 220v or 110v ? Also disconnect the wiring at the transformer to make sure there are no burnt pins.DE input wiring.jpgDE input wiring.jpg

If labeled 220V, then we need to see if it is wiring up correctly for 110v at the transformer.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Voltage_Selection_Jumper_Pinout

4.7.1 Voltage Selection Jumper Pinout

The 9 pin connectors used are Molex 19-09-2099 (butterfly connection w/jumpers) and Molex 19-09-1099 (connection on transformer pigtail).

9 Pin DE Transformer Power Configuration, configured for US 115V systems.

Jumper settings for 115V should be as follows:
Pin 1 - black - 115v "hot" input
Pin 7 - white - 115v "neutral" input
Pins 2 and 3 jumped together
Pins 8 and 9 jumped together

#23 8 years ago

If it is wired correctly for 120 volts, you really need to measure all the voltages so we can help you along further. Otherwise, we are guessing where the problem could be.

#24 8 years ago

you cannot reseat a bridge rectifier

#25 8 years ago

Ok looks like it was a bad combination of the DMD board which went bad and the 1/2 amp fuse on the power supply. Guess the bad board kept causing the fuse to blow! 1 problem down now the GI! Which was working before but stopped after I blew a connector on a bad power board.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from garrettusa:

I blew a connector on a bad power board.

Which connector? Any burnt pins in the female wired connector? I hope you replaced them.

The GI power cones in on CN9 on the power supply and then goes out on CN8 to the backbox and the playfield. All are out in both areas?

#27 8 years ago

Which connector? Any burnt pins in the female wired connector? I hope you replaced them.
The GI power cones in on CN9 on the power supply and then goes out on CN8 to the backbox and the playfield. All are out in both areas?

Ya I had the entire connector rebuilt. Problem is that there is power to the bulbs (bulbs are good) but still nothing?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from garrettusa:

Ya I had the entire connector rebuilt. Problem is that there is power to the bulbs (bulbs are good) but still nothing?

How did you check power to the bulbs? All the GI are out? Usually it's a short causing a fuse to blow. Pull each GI fuse and double check it. I've had fuses that check out ok until I pull them out of the holder and meter them. If you find a blown fuse check the coresponding GI sockets carefully one by one. Could be something touching, bent socket lead, something fell into the socket causing a short, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-display-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.