• 106 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mizzou
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-09-02 19_30_09-File_DE CPU ROM Jumpers.JPG - PinWiki - Internet Explorer (resized).png
2019-09-01 15_31_21-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png
2019-08-31 08_32_44-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20190816_164203 (resized).jpg
2019-08-16 12_12_29-https___www.ipdb.org_files_2358_Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png
20161122_213122 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190721_015034 (resized).jpg
20190720_183448 (resized).jpg
20190720_180941 (resized).jpg
20190720_181002 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 4 years ago

I worked on enough of the DE 128x32 DMD games to say 4.8v at the DMD controller board is ok as well as 4.94v on the power supply. Even with that said, at some point, I suggest all the electrolytic capacitors be replaced as they tend to fail after this long period. Caution is needed to remove them as they are difficult to remove.

Is the game booting up? You can see the left 2 red LEDs are lit on the MPU? Game is in attract mode with the controlled insert lamps cycling?

If not, test these 2 fuses to be sure they are not blown.
20161122_213122 (resized).jpg20161122_213122 (resized).jpg

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

Both lights on the MPU are on (only pia is off and it blinks at cycle on)

Can you count the flashes? Looks like your MPU has an error. It should repeat after a pause.

#46 4 years ago

Post pictures of both MPU boards. There is a jumper change needed if going from a single EPROM to 2 and vice versa.

#48 4 years ago

MPU board, as that is where the boot up issue is. Simpsons MPU uses 2 game EPROMs and SW uses 1 game EPROM. Junper must be set properly for each game.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

but i never changed anything. star wars used to work before i disconnected everything. But i never changed a jumper. I just put everything back together and now the dmd doesnt work. The dmd board always had one eprom. i have never changed that.

You need to change the jumper on the MPU if you install the Simpsons EPROMs when you move it over from SW.

#51 4 years ago

Still would just like to look over the MPU.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

this board does the exact same as my simpsons board

Ok Got it. So your Simpsons board used to work as well?

3 weeks later
#64 4 years ago

You are going to have to post a lot of pictures, especially the wiring at the transformer and the boards with the game turned on.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

i am now getting nothing out of the TRANSFORMER at 90 vac, or 100 Vac

You will not need the -112v, -100v, nor the 62v as the ColorDMD will not use those voltages. In any case, how are you measuring the voltage? The ground braid cannot be used in that case as a ground to measure AC voltages.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

also i do need the correct 9v ac to run the logic board

Which eventually turns into 12Vdc, which 5Vdc taps off. Easier just to measure the dc output voltages on the power supply. If you have those, your 9Vac is good.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

i measured at the two wires on the transformer (ie black-red with one probe and gray wire with other probe for the 100 volt ac line) I never used the case ground, but the actual two wires on page 46 of the transformer diagram
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf

Black-red wire is correct, but you have to use the white wire. The gray wire is separated from the 100Vac. Again, the ColorDMD will not use that voltage.
2019-08-16 12_12_29-https___www.ipdb.org_files_2358_Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png2019-08-16 12_12_29-https___www.ipdb.org_files_2358_Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

with everything plugged in:
+5v: +4.95 volts
+12v: +11.43
-12v: -14volts

The voltages look good. I had machines operate fine with 4.90v for the 5v.

Time to move on to other possibilities.

Is your attract mode lighting working? If not, open the coin door for a couple of seconds and then close it. It might be stuck in the "open coin door" message because of batteries being removed.

#72 4 years ago

Please post a picture of where the other end of the ColorDMD power cable is plugged into. Also, are there any LEDs lit on the ColorDMD board, when you turn on the game?

1 week later
#76 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The voltages look good. I had machines operate fine with 4.90v for the 5v.

So...not the power supply.

#77 4 years ago

Please post a picture of where the other end of the ColorDMD power cable is plugged into (should be at the bottom left side of the power supply). Also, are there any LEDs lit on the ColorDMD board, when you turn on the game?

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

if you can get into the menu(which i can)

I think based on what you have typed here, you should reflash your display. Make sure you download it from this Chroma list I have linked since all LED ColorDMD use the Chroma board.

https://colordmd.com/support_firmware_chroma.html

#82 4 years ago

You have SIGMA 3.3 installed on the display, which is a single color ROM. You need erase anything on your flash drive named chroma.rom as well as anything on your PC where you downloaded it to originally. If you download to either a second time, it calls the new file chroma(1).rom. It has to be only chroma.rom and should be SW 3.2 on the screen after loading.

#83 4 years ago

You are getting close now. Just need the right file to load.

#85 4 years ago

That is great. Just as the note you found about the video being an issue is the next thing to dig into.

Next, need to be sure you have 5VDC (4.8 to 5.2v) getting to the DMD controller board. Use you voltmeter and put the red and black leads on both ends of any of these yellow capacitors. You only need to measure across one of them. Without power on this board, you definitely will not have any video getting to the ColorDMD.

If you don't have 5V, then the J2 connector male pins need to be resoldered on the underside of the board.
2019-08-31 08_32_44-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png2019-08-31 08_32_44-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png

#87 4 years ago

I do not see this as a power supply issue since I had mentioned that a few times in the thread.

I know I have issues with my wide ribbon cable on my LAH. I can wiggle the ribbon at the one end of the DMD controller board and I see it flake out, but I have to cycle power again for it to display correctly. Try and turn your ribbon cable the other way around at the DMD controller and at the MPU board. Only this ribbon cable.

#89 4 years ago

Not a power supply issue. You have good, in spec, voltages on the DMD controller board and at the ColorDMD.

I can see MPU as the highly potential issue at this point. You can send it to ChrisHibler to test and repair.

#90 4 years ago

Simpsons MPU can be moved over to confirm it, but as I had posted, you have to change the one jumper to match up with the game ROMs used.

#91 4 years ago

I definitely would move the ground braid wire off the DMD Controller board since there is not an exposed ground. Move it to under the post sleeve so that it is making contact directly to the exposed ground area of the ColorDMD. That way the ColorDMD has a common ground to the backbox ground.

2019-09-01 15_31_21-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png2019-09-01 15_31_21-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

ok so according to the star wars forum if the mpu cable is not connected you get nothing on the display.

Yes. No ribbon cable=no display. Data has to come from the MPU to tell the DMD controller to display something.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

ok so according to the star wars forum if the mpu cable is not connected you get nothing on the display. I have a simpsons mpu board that i have removed. It has chips at B4, C4, and D4. The star wars only has roms at C4 and D4. Once i make the switch are there any other chips or jumpers i need to change or can i just put those 2 in and hook it up?

D4 is not a game ROM, it is a RAM. It stays in the board no matter what game it is in.

Must remove game ROMs at B4 and C4 out of the Simpsons board and install the C4 game ROM from Star Wars into the Simpson board. Then you also have to unsolder Jumper J4 and install it into J3 so it can be used in Star Wars.

2019-09-02 19_30_09-File_DE CPU ROM Jumpers.JPG - PinWiki - Internet Explorer (resized).png2019-09-02 19_30_09-File_DE CPU ROM Jumpers.JPG - PinWiki - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#96 4 years ago

Please move the ground strap mentioned on post #91 first. Someone had posted that fixed their issue on another thread I recall reading 5 months ago.

I don't guarantee that, but that is where it should be connected anyway.

1 week later
#100 4 years ago

@dumbass, can you help here? I am going to be busy the next couple of days and will not have a chance to dig in to help deeper on this one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-dead-dmd-need-advice-please?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.