• 106 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mizzou
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-09-02 19_30_09-File_DE CPU ROM Jumpers.JPG - PinWiki - Internet Explorer (resized).png
2019-09-01 15_31_21-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png
2019-08-31 08_32_44-data east star wars dead dmd Need Advice Please _ Tech_ Early solid state _ Pins (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20190816_164203 (resized).jpg
2019-08-16 12_12_29-https___www.ipdb.org_files_2358_Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf - Internet E (resized).png
20161122_213122 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190721_015034 (resized).jpg
20190720_183448 (resized).jpg
20190720_180941 (resized).jpg
20190720_181002 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glsp3022.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Iirc , when you buy colordmd ROMs , you also get the eproms? , If so do you still have the old ones?

ColorDMDs are downloaded via a thumb drive from the website. They rely on the original eproms to work. It simply "colors" the code.

Interesting to see how this turns out.
You should still get the code version displayed before it goes blank if the MPU is not sending signals.

#16 4 years ago

I pulled the MPU to DMD cable on my JP lost world to see what happens. Even without connection to the MPU, it still shows the name of the game before going blank.
If you're getting nothing, I'm guessing small cable or 5v power to the driver board.

#19 4 years ago

Can you post some pics of your set up? The back of the colorDMD, the driver, power supply board. I want a visual look at everything.
BTW, I'm dealing with the same issue on a large DMD Frankenstein. Have mine narrowed down to the 14 pin cable or grounding issue.

#21 4 years ago

Have you tried flipping just one end of the 14 pin cable, not both ends?
It wont hurt anything.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

My previous reply stated a solid 5V absolutely nothing less. Board is very temperamental. Look up service bulletin number 106 follow the instructions, this is likely to fix your problem. Also, make sure to ground the board at screw down, connect it's ground to main ground strap. If you can't complete the circuit it won't work. It need power and ground. Let us what happened.

Bulletin 106 is only for jumbo DMD games. This is a regular size.

#24 4 years ago

I would get a ground strap/wire to that J7 hole on the new driver board.
Another thought, is that ROM chip seated correctly, no feet bent under,? I've done this before.

#28 4 years ago

It appears the holes have metal eyelets in them for grounding on the metal mounting screws. There wont be any traces, that's a giant ground loop around the outside of the board.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

what does this mean?
i have ordered a new eprom. i will see if that helps. i will contact rottendog and see what they say about the 4.9 volts from the power supply board.

It means when the board is mounted on the metal bolts that hold the DMD in, the board is then grounded to the machine. The metal eyelets in the mounting holes touch the metal bolts creating a common ground.
You have it mounted on plastic pins, therefore the board itself really has no ground to the rest of the machine.

I'm also suspect of that slightly low 5v power.

1 month later
#92 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Not a power supply issue. You have good, in spec, voltages on the DMD controller board and at the ColorDMD.
I can see MPU as the highly potential issue at this point. You can send it to chrishibler to test and repair.

With the DE games, he should still get the ROM version even if the MPU is problematic. I'd try changing that IDC 5v connector to a molex with trifuricon wipers in it. Might help with the voltage drop.
DE games can be very finicky when it comes to the 5v supply line.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glsp3022.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-dead-dmd-need-advice-please?tu=glsp3022 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.