(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,740 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by jgadzia
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pablito350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2980 5 years ago

We just picked up one last week, and are loving it. It needs a lot of work, but I'm excited to dig in to it, and really make it ours.

IMG_20190403_205242806 (resized).jpgIMG_20190403_205242806 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190403_205256428 (resized).jpgIMG_20190403_205256428 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190403_205305596 (resized).jpgIMG_20190403_205305596 (resized).jpg
It looks nice in our growing collection.

Some of the things to fix are:
-R2's head doesn't rotate
-DMD has 2 lines at the bottom, and to on the RH side that are out
-Missing backbox insert latch
-Needs all new rubbers badly
-Needs a lot of bulbs that are missing or out
-The rear half of the playfield is filthy

Some of our plans for it are:
-New R2 head motor
-Color LED DMD
-All new titan or superband rubbers and posts
-Some new LED's all throughout
-Maybe a code update after we log enough games to notice the difference
-Some kind of side blades... something that matches the comic book style of the rest of the artwork on the playfield
-Maybe a different death star that looks more realistic

Anyway... I'm excited to finally own one, and look forward to learning as much as I can about it!

-Paul

1 week later
#2988 5 years ago

Just added a color DMD to my newly acquired Star Wars, and HOLY HELL did it take this game up a notch or three!

If there ever is an upgrade that will immensely make your game better this is it!

-Paul

#2992 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Now do the code update to 1.07.

Oh that's definitely on the list. We're trying to get a feel for the original code first so we'll be able to tell the difference.

11 months later
#3478 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I'd love to have a reason to use the handle, not just the button!

I don't know about anyone else but we use that handle every time we get the tri-ball. We coordinate throwing the handle in sync with the animation on the DMD.

We're silly like that.

-Paul

10 months later
#3867 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Pulled the trigger on an LED ColorDMD today. Looking forward to the upgrade!

Best upgrade we made to ours!

-Paul

#3875 3 years ago

Whenever I get a new pin I just play it for a few days just to take note of anything that's not working properly, or doesn't look good, and I make a list of things it needs, or upgrades I want to do. I'll keep playing it while I'm waiting for whatever parts I ordered off the list I made.

When parts arrive I tear the top side of the playfield down for a deep cleaning (leia's beard), polishing and waxing. While it's apart I get familiarized with everything (mechs, switches, ramps, plastics...etc), and clean each part I took off before I reinstall it. When everything's spic-n-span is when I install new bulbs, rubbers, and piece everything back together. This is also when I'd remove all of the lamp boards, and reflow solder on the connections.

I also install a lithium battery board in place of the AA's (or NVRam). Check all the fuses to make sure they're the right value, and that the holders are still in good shape. Check the boards for corrosion, and old bulging caps that may need to be changed.

I believe it was a fellow pinsider Mof that posted a really detailed checklist he goes through for each pin he works on. It's a very thorough list that covers everyting.

I guess it's all dependent upon what you're really looking for.

Congrats, and enjoy!

-Paul

2 weeks later
#3953 3 years ago

I like the 2nd one as well, but I can't stop seeing what looks like a horn coming out of the top of Leia's head. Maybe darken that part of Obi Wan's cloak.

10 months later
#4150 2 years ago

A cliffy will protect against any further damage.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/SW-Cliffy/swthin.htm

3 months later
#4206 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Hey everyone. I'm going to put an LCD color DMD in my star wars. I understand there will be some mods to do. Do I want to get the stern version of the color DMD to work with star wars?

I don't see an LCD version available for DESW only the LED version (which is AWESOME!).

https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-star-wars-pinball-machine/

Unfortunately looks like there's been a shortage of parts needed to make these so they're out of stock at the moment.

-Paul

3 months later
#4281 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Thinking of replacing the DMD with a color DMD. I see that there are several out there. Which one is the best?

We went with this, and couldn't be happier.

https://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-star-wars-pinball-machine/

6 months later
#4461 1 year ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

For those that have updated DESW with ColorDMD, were you able to fit in the RF shield?

I left mine off, and have had zero issues over the past 2 years, and this pin gets played a lot.

-Paul

#4466 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Does this work with Chad's code?

Sure does!

It's been a while since I installed the colorDMD, but I don't recall anything out of the ordinary during installation. It was pretty straight forward, and worked out of the box.

-Paul

9 months later
#4657 88 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Thinking of upgrading my DESW with LEDs. Anyone know if the non-ghosting bulbs from Comet Pinball work well in this game?

Yup. They work fine for the inserts.

-Paul

2 months later
#4709 24 days ago

Just added a PinSound to our machine, and it's awesome!

That is all.

-Paul

#4711 24 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Pin2DMD or ColorDMD yet?

Did you replace the stock speakers?
Yup, with certain themes Pinsound is a great upgrade. I’d suggest a sound upgrade over a colorized DMD for titles like SW, Tommy, JP etc.
When you’re playing you can’t always look at the DMD. But the sound is a huge part of the games experience.
Star Wars is the poster child for Pinsound.
I’d love to pick up a DE SW one day and they’ve held their value. They tend to sell in the $5k range when in good condition.
But Stern Star Wars Pro’s used prices have come down quite a bit.
How does the DE SW compare to the Stern Star Wars?

I didn't upgrade the speakers.... yet. The color DMD is just a huge upgrade with the PinSound being a close second. Where the PinSound shines is offering the user the choice of orchestrations that's customizable. We have 4 different orchestrations loaded on the USB that's easily changed between with the volume knob.

IMHO I like the DESW more than the later Stern version. While the Stern version is way more polished with lots of more modes/options I just don't like it. I don't like the choosing of characters, the video modes, constant game stoppages, and while I like the comic artwork, the art package it originally shipped with is utterly yawn inspiring. I could go on, but suffice to say I was really disappointed with it, and still am. (same with Mando)

The DESW is just plain corny and fun, and with a color DMD and the different sound packages with the PinSound board it's just fun to play.

-Paul

#4714 24 days ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Having just redid a Star Wars, I was really impressed with both Pinsound and Color DMD on this.

You did an awesome job on that one too. Someday I hope ours comes out that nice.

-Paul

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pablito350.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=pablito350 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.