(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justin734.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3701 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders! I'm so excited to be posting here for the first time ever as the owner of DESW machine! Its my first ever pin, and it was a nerve wrecking experince buying one without knowing everything there is to know. Apparently this is a pretty saught after machine these days so I had to act fast. I picked up the machine for $3750 from the owner of the now closed "Joysticks Orlando"

He had the unit in storage and I was able to play a few rounds before deciding to take it home. The coin door was closed and he did not have a key, so I was not abel to run any disagnostics or anything, but the gmae seemed to play great. When I got home, I drilled out the lock and was pleased to find $70 inside.

At home with the glass off and the game deck up I was abel to inspect it better and find that several plastics are cracked, along with the deathstar. The two shooter targets near the Tie Fighter are missing and in its place is one red circular target that came from who knows where...

I bought a set of new rubbers, some cleaner, new pinballs and carnabu wax, and am ready to start tuning it up.

My biggest issue now however is that since opening the mahine and closing it up again, several compoenets do not function, most notably the mechanism that kicks the ball into the feeder, and the kicker that pushes the ball from the feeder into the shooter. There were a few wires under the field that were only electricla taped togther, so I crimped them more properly, but otherwise I have not touched anyhting yet and cant figure out why these compoents are not activating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'll be back on soon to post a video of the situation along with the DMD readout when runnign through diagnostiscs.

Thank you all in advance for any guidance and I appreacite being part of this community!

#3704 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Congrats! This is a great pin. Pretty sure your issue is gonna be connecters if it was working before you shipped. But also the Outhole switch it touchy and sometimes just lifting the playfield you can bend it

Quoted from jgadzia:

start at the switch menu in diagnostics and verify that all of your switches are working first, then go to solenoid menu and make sure the solenoids are working. this will help you isolate whether you have a switch or solenoid problem. Once you know the problem start checking the connectors to that issue. If you still have problems come back here.

Thanks guys for chiming in with some suggestions! I took a quick video to show the situation, which should hopefully paint a better picture than I have been explaining above. Since last night I must have spent 6 hours just reading up on this machine and Data East machines in general. I should mention that even when I got the machine home, I had probably about 10 good games on it before I opened it up to check out the underside of the playfield and when I put uit back down is when I had the issue. So it was not in transport that my problem occured, but only in lifting the playfield once or twice.

Here is the video i just recorded. I'm of course more than happy to record anythign else that might help get a clearer picture of whats up.

#3710 3 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

after rewatching your video, you also have a major coil/flasher issue here. I had the same issue and had to repair a transistor on the board. It appears that your relay is not switching between the flashers and the coil. You are going to probably have to make a decision to either learn some electronics and buy proper equipment or just hire someone to fix it. I will tell you when I got into this "hobby" I knew nothing and learned a lot on my own ( I have 9 pinball machines) I actually almost enjoy fixing these things as much as I like playing them. If you decide you want to try and fix this stuff on your own we can help you but it is probably going to be time consuming and frustrating at times, but very rewarding when you finally do it on your own.
here's a link to the exact same coil problem you are having with the relay not switching:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/relay-problem#post-5267521

Thanks for the continued help and words of encouragment. I have since pulled all the fuses out and tested them one by one, and then began with the cables. When I arrived at the molex above the fuses, I found an interesting situation I'll put in video here.

I'm hopeful that I can replace the molex posts and femal connector, but I want to be sure I'm picking up the right thing, and then once more, wiring it correctly, as I cant beleive this was wired correctly from what i see.
I'm assuming ill need a 9 post male and femal molex. Does this board take .1 or .156 molex connectors? Then, as far as wiring the molex, does anyone know which order these wires should be in? They should be one wire to one post right?

#3714 3 years ago

Thanks again everyone. It looks like its time ot pick up a new multimeter with aligator clips. I'll work on the above suggestions tomorrow once I grab a new meter. I also hate drown out the board here, so maybe its smart to start a new thread specifically for me issues. If i do so, I'll link back here as I really appreciate the expertise and guidance from jgadzia and Kba78!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justin734.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=justin734 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.