(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,719 posts
  • 408 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 hours ago by ramegoom
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
20240225_130341 (resized).jpg
20240216_143848 (resized).jpg
R2D2-PLASTIC-FOR-STAR-WARS-DATA-EAST-800x900 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240213_095530 (resized).jpg
IMG_0007 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0005 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4052 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jean-luc-picard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#596 9 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

Here you go for a nice cheap mod! Saw Jean-Luc Picards website about chrome pop bumper cap decals and I asked him if he could make a few designs for DE Star Wars. Asked him for both the rebel and empire logos. Heres how they turned out. I think they look great!!

Wow, them look great. It is a good thing I own a DE so I could take measurements. The funny part is, I used my DE Star Trek 25th as reference. I know some people say you can only like one or the other but I am a huge fan of both SW and ST. Well only the first (3) SW films. Very happy they turned out. Since seeing photos of your new DE:SW and with the chrome caps I have added DE:SW to my wish list

#598 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballYeti:

If Jean-Luc Picard plays a Star Wars pin I'm pretty sure the universe explodes.

I recently played it. And I have to say.....

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Anyhow, Since I am not in the club. I will leave this thread now....

wink.gifwink.gif

7 months later
#996 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I like this chrome sticker mod. Got them here: http://jean-luc-picard.com/

Nice Decals Looks familiar. I still want this pin....

5 months later
#1248 8 years ago

Hopefully will be in the club Sunday... depending on it's condition... Wish me luck. May the force be with me!

BTW: Whats with pinsider "HOMERTV" why he hate us when he aint us?

#1250 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sending some luck your way. Make sure you look at the pop frames under the pf, they're plastic and they can crack around the pf screw points.

If all goes well... If I buy it sunday... and when/if I post a photo in the thread I will cut a batch of Chrome pop-cap decals. Anyone that knows what I am talking about I closed my shop recently. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/20#post-2507950 But I will pull the machine out to cut my decals and do one last run. Pay shipping, make a payment of whatever you feel like... So.. That said all of you please send me more luck

Normally... I would say.... Make it so... But... I will end this note with :p

:p:p

#1253 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have always wanted a set of those decals But just never got around to getting some!

May the force be with us..... I wait for photos, if it goes well. Star Wars Decal cut run it is. One epic Aussie already PM'ed me. I wont accept any other PM's for requests. Just wait for sunday. If I get the machine I will give the club 24hrs of orders as I mentioned. My store http://jean-luc-picard.com/ is still closed FYI. But if you want to see my face click that link.

#1256 8 years ago

koops & KBRI1700 the next schooner is on me

#1258 8 years ago

Still waiting on photos. But have an update. I guess the DMD has some issues after installing the new roms. It periodically goes blank. Anyone else have this issue after installing the new roms?

#1260 8 years ago

GREAT NEWS!!!! I am picking it up sunday
As for the decals, give me a few days to sort that out. I will post when I start cutting. Sorry no pre-orders just have to be on Pinside at the right time. Everything looks great in videos/photos. Only con is the front cabinet is a bit beat up. looks like luke caught a blaster to the face. And the DMD issue that I have to sort out. "Sometimes periodically the DMD goes blank and then comes back."
DESW_1.jpgDESW_1.jpg
DESW_2.jpgDESW_2.jpgDESW_3.jpgDESW_3.jpg

#1264 8 years ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

Festive Season Greetings to everyone.
R2-D2 We Wish You a Merry Christmas

Totally chromecasting that to the living room on xmas/boxing day.

#1271 8 years ago

ok, got it home today. Was a 1.5hr drive and it started to rain on the way back. But, since I was on the highway the rain never hit the machine, just blew right over it since.

As for the display. First couple games played fine. Then one game, several times it would go blank. HOWEVER, the very strange part was it wasnt the DMD going out it was missing animations. For example when I was up for skill shot, the Tie Fighter animation was missing. As well other modes some layers to the animation was missing. I reboot the machine and it was back to normal.

Maybe just get new roms?

#1273 8 years ago

1.05 and 1.04 CPU I will try to capture what happens, seems to be at random. When the tie fighter was missing, I do think it was an extra ball. Not sure...

#1275 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Missing Tie Fighter at extra ball is normal... You are supposed to be using the Force for that one.
Maybe reseat all the video related cables on both ends?

Gotcha, and that's funny "You are supposed to be using the Force for that one." As for the other cases, its a blank screen.

I am just getting into the game, I will be reseating everything as well swapping parts from my JP for testing.

Question: For the "speeder" mode. Is that supposed to be controlled by the throttle? I don't get any instructions. But I assume that isnt the video mode it is something else. I have only played this pin on location a few times so I do not know the game that well.

Ahh, it is just an animation, read online:

"Speeder Mode
This feature is activated via an award or by hitting all five X-Wing targets. The player must then shoot the ball up the inside lane, at which point the player is awarded 10 million points.

Note: To skip the long animation, repeatedly press the launch button."

#1277 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes i got the game but how do I look for this forum eveyday without having to scroll through all the forums? Thanks

You can star the page, find it via your activity page as well bookmark the page.

#1285 8 years ago

So, this time the DMD went blank for a long time. Seems it came back after that animation finished and a new animation started.
Seems to be this way everytime. It is not a flicker from vibration or loose connector. It's like the animation just goes blank till it triggers a new one.

*FYI this is not my arcade, just my ugly unfinished garage.

#1297 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Another suggestion, I see you have a JP... maybe you can swap DMDs as a test?

I have new roms in the mail, I plan on doing that first. Then go down my list. Hope it is just the roms so I dont have to go down the list lol.

#1298 8 years ago

Update: Just noticed something. My DMD panel doesn't have any ground. Normally you have a braided cable from each speaker. I doubt DE:SW should be any different right?

#1301 8 years ago

I just swapped it with my JP. Played 4 heavy games, and got on the scoreboard. It did not glitch out once. After looking at the DMD more, its clear it was hacked up. The bolts are threaded right threw the panel. The spacers are wrong, and they are missing the spacer between the metal panel and the dmd board. Not to forget, absolutely no ground. So, I may not need the new rom's after all it was the lack of a ground. As well, the rom looks like it was a home-burn from a recycled chip not purchased so I may just plop the new one sin anyway.

So right now I have a Jurassic Star Wars lol will need to fix the SW panel bolt situation before I add a ground.

#1302 8 years ago

*double post*

#1303 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just checked mine and I have a ground to each speaker from each side of the board. Each ground is encased in a clear plastic tube and are each about 2 inches long. Ground it and try it.

You should have a ground from speaker to panel, and then 2 long braided ground wires to both ground panels located in the back of the backbox attached by wing nuts. Or at least that is what all my DE pins have. all my williams it just has 1 ground.

#1328 8 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

Forgive me, as I am completely new to pinball maintenance. I'm wanting to change the rubbers on my SW from white to black. I'm a little nervous, as this will be my first attempt to do any type of maintenance by myself. I figured that my safest bet would be ordering the kit from Macro since it has the diagrams that will help me.
My question is, in terms of tools, do I really need anything else beyond a basic set of nut drivers and screw drivers to get the job done? Will I have to lift the playfield up or disconnect any wiring?

Welcome to the hobby. The first time working on a machine can be intimidating, but over time you realize it isn't that bad. As for changing the rubbers, that is a piece of cake. Standard nut drivers and a screw driver.

-In most cases. Remove the nut or screw that holds the plastic. Remove plastic and change your rubber.
-In some cases you need to remove hardware, ramp etc. For your first time, it may help to take a photo of the item you need to remove to gain access to a rubber. That way you can use it as a reference to put it back on.
-You wont have to lift the playfield to change rubbers.
-In some cases, when removing a post to change the sleeve it can break. Not a big deal if this happens, it is an easy fix and sometimes can be as simple as a trip to the hardware store.
-When installing the superbands, you want to pre-stretch the rubber a little. Start on the big end of the flipper. With a small screw driver insert at the other end of the rubber and pull towards the small end of the flipper. Your first time, will be a bitch. But, you will get a hang of it. These super bands are amazing, but they don't stretch as easy as normal rubbers but they last forever. "almost"

For rubber sizes for most/all your machines: https://www.flippers.com/rubber-rings.html
Best rubber rings "colors": https://www.titanpinball.com/
Best flipper rubbers "Superbands": http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RUBB-POLY

#1330 8 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

Uh oh. So what am I supposed to do if I break a post?

The studs are cheap and available on marco for example. I have not shopped my DE:SW yet so I cant recall if the studs are screwed in or if they use T-nuts. Sometimes these T-nuts either loose a tooth or the stud is so tight and locked into this T-nut when you go to unscrew it. They snap. So you just salvage the T-nut if you can, or buy a new one from home depot and get a new stud. Ods's are this wont happen. But, I cant remember. DE the post sleeves may just slide over the stud.

tnut.jpgtnut.jpg

#1341 8 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

Also, I am thinking that down the road, I might want to add something protective to the playfield. My PF looks really good and want to keep it that way. Do you feel that a playfield protector or clearcoat is a better option?

Professionally Clear-coated... Best option. I have a Dr.Who Professionally Clear-coated and trust me... It is amazing.

#1342 8 years ago

Anyone have an extra DE DMD-Panel? I need a new one for my DE:SW... Looking for one. all stores are sold out.

Also: Anyone know how you can tell if you have a reproduction translite? Mine is not handling light very well. AKA, seems it is thin material.

#1349 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

A good DE DMD will be hard to source. Honestly, you might want to browse over the LED RGB panel discussion as that might be a better option at this point

Not the DMD. I have plenty of them. Btw DMDs work in stern, williams, DE ect. You can buy them from just about every pinball retail store or about $90 on pinside. I sold 8 of them recently. They are easy to find. I need the *panel. I guess the correct term is speaker panel.

MC-545-5180-01L.jpgMC-545-5180-01L.jpg

#1365 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Sorry to tell you but the clips are made from unobtainium. They only exist with panels.
I ended up making some from Williams steel clips. Trimmed to ends and drilled the holes to fit. Incidentally it seems as if the drill holes were all done by hand as between my two de machines all four clips have different hole locations.
I was considering making up some but it's not really worth it as its a fairly easy part to make with a dremel or angle grinder.

It is a shame a year or two ago DE: panels on sale for $30. I personally think DE:SW would look better with a custom panel.

#1374 8 years ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

I just ordered a different translite for my Star Wars DE.

Curious, where did you find it for sale?

Quoted from MustangPaul:

That sounds interesting, why don't ya make one so we can check it out. Something that could maybe light up? That panel needs some flair.

I managed to repair the DMD panel that I have. I think it will work. As for a custom panel. I would think It would not be that hard, use the panel as a template, build it out of MDF then add acrylic art, pre drill inserts in the panel and add LED's behind the acrylic.

#1383 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Pinsider Galactimus is selling his Indiana Jones Speaker Panel Mod so I asked him if he would be interested in making a panel for our games. Hopefully he'll post and let us know. The only problem is see is what do we do about artwork for it. Everything SW is copyrighted. Sure would be nice if we had an Aurich in the group. Something that would light up would be a REAL +++++

I do screen printing, plotter, vinyl cutting. I am also a Professional Illustrator, Designer, Animator, Digital Painter as my profession. However, time is something I don't have.

#1385 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Awe man that's to bad, it would be so nice to get a reversed printed design, just like a normal speaker panel plastic.

Maybe when I get all this freelance done. It is eating me alive. But, I fear the list of other shit I have to get done. If, I do make something like this, it would also be an alternate back-glass so it matched. Be really neat to see a back-lit speaker/dmd panel. But, lets not forget, I still need to shop this DE:SW and make them chrome pop-cap decals.

#1388 8 years ago

If it was custom. Why not make it one piece? Use 1/4 or thicker acrylic so you can cut holes for the speakers and run it all the way up. Just like the old days with gottlieb's etc. That way it is one solid back lit backglass with no divider between speaker panel and translite. However, for the lower portion, the area that would have inserts cut to add light would not cover 100% of the bottom but would light up the areas of the artwork as needed.

#1390 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That sounds tricky. How would you attach the speakers and dmd? The bolts for them would have to run all the way through the plex for strength, that's 12 bolts. I like your thinking though.

It would work exactly like it is now. The DMD/Speaker panel will need to be custom. The old one wont be used. If you look at a sys 80 for example with the displays behind the glass.

#1395 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Still debating on buying one that has come up, low $2K in price. Someone sell me on the idea.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well it all depends on condition. Do ya like the gameplay?

You already have (2) Data East machines.. In my opinion they all play in a similar style. I dont think you will be disappointed.

#1396 8 years ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

I just ordered a different translite for my Star Wars DE.

300 DPI version of this poster: http://jean-luc-picard.com/free/star_wars.zip
*will remove after the holidays. So eat it up, print it up, and put it in your machine or wall.
*Dont buy copyrighted translites.

#1406 8 years ago
Quoted from JFirenze:

Had an unfortunate accident this past weekend (2 year old just learned how to throw her toys):
Anyone know where I can land the red paint? I know there the pinball universe has the blue... but cant find the red any where. Or do I just run to home depot and grab a bunch of red swatches and try and match.
Dumb followup, I need to use acrylic paint correct?

don't go to home depot. Go to a craft store. And yes acrylic. you have a gouge so acrylic with multiple layers can fill the gap. However you need to practice with color matching. To be honest... It is not that bad. Just play it. In this hobby... The cabinet really never becomes a deal breaker.

In many cases a bad touch up is worse than a scratch. You are better leaving it alone and call it character. In this case... a memory.

1 week later
#1420 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

oh. I also forgot one thing (just adding it for any other first timers).
"Remove your balls before lifting the playfield"
I've done it myself when i've forgotten to take them out. Bang! O_O
You can manually kick out the balls when the power is off by rotating the kick out arm.

I always just plug the hole with a rag rather than popping the balls out. I think it was williams/bally that later added a little metal flap that would swivel over the hole when the PF was raised.

1 month later
#1552 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Ok having a new issue with my machine...when the ball drains, it sits at the very bottom of the trough and the game believes nothing is out of the norm until it does a ball search. That would be a bad switch in the trough, right?

If it is searching and it cant detect the ball in the trough... yes bad switch... I dont think DE uses optos so it is prob a roll switch.

1 week later
#1559 8 years ago
Quoted from rbissett:

Saw that, Bit more than I am ready to spend at this point

Shouldn't spend more than $2.5k for a DE:SW...

#1562 8 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

While I agree with this price for this game can you really find a SW:DE that isn't a project for less than 3k these days?

You can, I found mine for $2.3k .Not a project but did have a few small things to sort out but minor.

#1573 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Nope you've figured it out. Nothing to it unfortunately.
CHad H rediscovered the prototype speeder mode that would have been much better (video was posted quite a few pages back).

So was he able to make a rom with the video mode? This would be great for the game. As of right now the speeder mode and the throttle are both pretty lame.

#1576 8 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

Fairly certain it was never released in the updated ROM from ChadH? I thought I remembered him finding it after the fact, or there being a reason it would be tough to implement or something?
Would love to see it get updated to include that, would rule.

Been thinking of different uses for the useless throttle handle. If you have a Pinsound you could hook the throttle up to the volume up/down pedometer. This is used to select different mixes.

Another funny idea that I am tempted to add... Hook the throttle up to the flippers. Would need to spring load the throttle to rest on middle. Then when you push up/down and let go it re-centers and is a flip and if you push up/down and hold, it holds the flipper. You could play the game with one hand haha... As well, you could simply use a switch under the cabinet to enable or disable this feature.

I will have to look when I get home... Curious if the micro switch for up/down is still in the throttle or if it was removed during production. Regardless, this idea seems possible and kinda fun.

Screen_Shot_2016-02-23_at_2.20.59_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-23_at_2.20.59_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-23_at_2.21.36_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-02-23_at_2.21.36_PM_(resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jean-luc-picard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=jean-luc-picard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.