(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,740 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by jgadzia
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cabuford.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2528 6 years ago

Joined the club this last weekend. Picked it up off a friend who was a Star Wars collector. She just let it sit there, she's had it for over a decade. Played great but it was dirty! Its a reimport from Spain, so it's seen so usage at some point. Resoldered some switches and replaced some lamp diodes and she's almost 100%. Death Star and R2D2 both look great, although R2 needs a new motor.

First steps were NVram from Borygard and new code from ChadH via Meloyelo51

As usual, some broken yellow targets and plastics. Probably pick up just the target faces from Marco, thinking of going translucent red or yellow.

What's the best source for plastics since I missed the CPR run. PinballUniverse.com (USA) or Pinball.center (EU)?

codenvram (resized).pngcodenvram (resized).png

desw (resized).pngdesw (resized).png

2 weeks later
#2534 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Hi all! Just joined the club! Haven't had too much time to go through the game yet but first fixes I need to get the game playable are: No sound . Secondly It looks like I'm missing part of the gate assembly on the center ramp. The gate is only attached on one side. Can anyone send me a link to where I can buy a new post so I can get that gate working again? If anyone has any ideas on sound I'm all ears as well. I've checked connectors and fuses. Is there a sound chip that tends to go bad on this machine? Let me know! TIA

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but have you tried the volume pot on the inside of the cabinet? It's on the right on top of the power box enclosure. If that's not it you should check to see if your soundboard is getting proper voltage.

1 week later
#2537 6 years ago
Quoted from pettcomputers:

Can someone list the correct screw type to use for the pop bumper caps, I'm missing a few on mine, and i'm not sure the others are correct as they're all different.
Thanks!

If you have the correct hardware with the hex spacers raising the caps, it's a #4-40. I got some from Marco (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4004-01005-12)

Sadly a few of mine broke off in the hex spacers, which are unobtanium I think. I'm converting mine to regular Williams bumper caps, hopefully it'll be quieter as well.

#2539 6 years ago
Quoted from pettcomputers:

Thanks for that quick reply! I've ordered a few.

I just spent a week creating an excel spreadsheet for parts to order for mine. I vowed to disassemble and research first, then order second

#2540 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

just leded my scoops

What lights did you use and how did you mount them? My only idea is a 3SMD Led strip taped on the bottom. I don't see anywhere else to stick a flex head or anything.

#2542 6 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

That looks really cool, I love mine as well.....

Can you take some pics of the underside to show what you used and how you mounted them?

#2546 6 years ago
Quoted from Vader77:

Experimenting with homemade side boards, outside of time and using the color copier at work I have about $1.50 invested per side for laminating (big spender).
Whatcha think?

I like these! I feel like my playfield is too tight for these. I'd be willing to try something DIY though. Care to send files via PM? Will a FedEx place print these or do they care about copyright? I'm not supposed to use the color printer at work

#2547 6 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

This conversion is a thing??? Is it the whole shebang? Or just the cap? I must know! In operation the stock DE caps crack yearly

What I did was replace the Hex spacers with a #6 nut, so you essentially have the same ring and rod as a normal assembly. The Pop bumper bodies still have the holes for regular caps, so I just bought some new Williams caps and 1/2" pop bumper screws from Pinball Life. I did replace the discs and got translucent bodies from Zitt but that shouldnt be necessary.

The only issue I noticed is that the bulb holder seems taller, and the cap wont fit with an incandescent bulb. My Comet order came yesterday and I'm putting in pop bumper discs anyway, so hopefully it'll all fit.

IMG_5656 (resized).jpgIMG_5656 (resized).jpg

#2553 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

looking for alternate translite ,anyone?

I won a SW Pro translight at a local tournament. It almost works.

swtrans (resized).jpgswtrans (resized).jpg

#2555 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I have this one, I really like it... seller is pugsotoys5zpt on eBay but it looks like he doesn't have any more.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/9#post-1858829

It looks like Retro Refurbs carries it.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/star-wars-data-east-dark-side-alternate-pinball-translite/

1 week later
#2560 5 years ago

Finally finished installing my metal-mods stickers. I replaced the tall Data East caps with regular Williams caps.

3 weeks later
#2569 5 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Currently have mixed match square target faces yellow some are Opaque and some are transparent. The opaque are the ones i remember back then playing it when it was new on a route. But wonder if transparent ones and lighting them are better looking. Also this one has clear pop bumper caps

I went with red translucent target faces and red led flashers behind them and I think it looks great.
The red bumper caps are available new online. Apparently the clear ones were quieter.

I switched to regular Williams style caps as a bunch of the cap screws broke off in the hex spacer holding the cap up, and the spacer has weird threading and is impossible to find.

1 month later
#2582 5 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

Unofficial v1.07 ROM gameplay.
Not the best main ramp did lose the great function for collecting more and more points.

You seem to be registering Death Star hits when you hit the middle Xwing targets. Also does your Death Star target even go up? I don't see it on the video, ever shot seems to go right in.

#2584 5 years ago

Printed the free pop bumper cap offered by PinballCharlie in his thread here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/limited-run-tatooine-and-hoth-mods-star-wars-pinball#post-4342341

Works great on Data East even though it was designed for the Stern machine.

IMG_6741 (resized).jpgIMG_6741 (resized).jpgIMG_6742 (resized).jpgIMG_6742 (resized).jpg
#2587 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That’s great! Don’t the caps go up and down in desw?

The original ones did. The were larger and mounted to the pop bumper metal ring. I replaced them with Williams caps that mount to the pop bumper body (which I also replaced with red translucent) so they don't move. The original ones were super noisy.

The ATAT hasn't moved yet and he's not even glued on!

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Nice! It's perfect because during AT-AT Walkers mode you are supposed to hit the pop bumpers.

Exactly!

#2592 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Great to know the cap fits DESW! When I get time (likely after summer), I'll see about designing another cap that can mount the Snowspeeder that comes in the Hot Wheels set with the AT-AT and upload to Thingiverse for printing. Then you can print out a combination of AT-ATs and Snowspeeders to fill out the four PB caps.
Based on the photos - it looks like I'll have to design a mount for the Snowspeeder on the mid-left cap to jut out away from the wireform above. And the cap screws are E/W and not N/S on a stock machine, right?

A cap for the snowspeeder would be sweet! I was thinking about where to put that in the machine.

The cap screwes are N/S on s stock machine. The Data east pop bumper caps mount to extensions on the metal pop bumper ring (which are E/W), the caps actually moved when activated. The holes in the pop bumper body are not used. So when I switched cap styles, I didn't reorient anything, I just used the holes in the pop bumper body.

For your mod, I would imagine you wouldn't want it to shake, so you would would use the holes in the pop bumper body, which obviously are standard since the cap fits a new stern and an old data east

Let me know if you have any more questions!

1 week later
#2597 5 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Something is just weird that i have yet to figure out. The table is too flat. I have the front levelers up (shorter) and rear all the way down. Game is still too flat according to the built in level. The game sits flatter than everyother game i have, even older williams T2. Legs appear stock

I resorted to this piece of wood under the back. My DE LW3 got to 6.5 with the front all the way down and the rear all the way up but Star Wars wouldn’t come close. The legs that came on it were not stock and I swapped with a brand new set of legs that I had painted for my virtual cab. Now it’s up to 7 degrees and I haven’t lowered it back but I need to try. Some shots are better, some are worse.

6C4F887F-282A-45F1-A124-4C24B5DADB20 (resized).jpeg6C4F887F-282A-45F1-A124-4C24B5DADB20 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#2602 5 years ago

Got some custom apron cards from Mikonos

They look even better in person! Printed on chrome vinyl.

IMG_7311 (resized).JPGIMG_7311 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2618 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I love how 2 of the 3 DMD animations are upside down.

#2620 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Is that a bro deal or is mikonos selling these puppies? Looks pretty aweseom

He sold them, I just pm’ed him through pin side. He made me some for LW3 as well. Shoot him a message.

#2631 5 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

On a hot sunny day, I laid down one sheet of black construction paper, followed by a sheet of pinball glass, then the cleaned plastics, then gently laid a second sheet of pinball glass on top. It took 2 nice sunny afternoons, and they were perfectly flat, just like new!!

I'm gonna have to try this! I didn't get very far with a hairdryer.

3 weeks later
#2691 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Ok, it appears it goes here to support this plastic. Was wondering what that hole was for

I thin I'm missing that piece! At least the strip, I've got the hex spacer.

1 month later
#2760 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Can somebody post a pic of their flipper coil setup? I keep hearing some people have EOS but DESW doesn't appear to have these at all. It appears the Orange/Violet (Right Flipper) and Orange/Grey (Left Flipper) are low voltage from CPU Board CN 19-1 (Right) & 19-2 (Left). And the Blue-Yellow (Right Flipper) and Grey-Yellow (Left Flipper) are High voltage from Solid State P.S. BD CN 2-4 (Right), 5 and CN 2-1, 2 (Left). There also doesn't seem to be a ground anywhere on the flipper coil/assembly. Just wanted to be sure this matches up with everyone else here.
I'm still getting weak flipper response/flipper hold and once I verify this, going to measure the power off each connector[quoted image]

No EOS, everything is controlled by the Solid State Flipper board in the lower right hand side of the cabinet. Blue/Yel and Grey/Yel is the power coming from the board, 50v for initial flip, 8v for hold.

There is a lot more information about this in the Lethal Weapon 3 manual than there is in the Star Wars manual.

1 month later
#2800 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Just got a star wars. Working on updating to the home rom as we speak. Had a question on the display rom. Currently running A1.05. What version do I need for colordmd and chadh's rom? His site says its the same as colordmd, but colordmd doesn't say which one on their site.

Display 1.05 is what you need. I have chads rom and a color dmd and it works great.

#2806 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Is there any way to disable the multiball gi flash? One of the things I just hate about DE games of the era.

I have an EnerGI Maestro in both of my Data East pins. You can control the intensity and fade rate of the GI. You could set it to always on but I found that giving it a slower fade rate makes it less crazy especially if you have LEDs. It also bypasses the relay so you don’t hear the clicking anymore.

2 weeks later
#2846 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I sent pix and requested a return through EBay. EBay provided an automatic return label. I printed it out, then mailed it. Then I get this message from Jeff at Classic Arcade.
New message from: classicarcades (20,788YellowShooting Star)
“I would have sent you another translite at my expense and you could keep the defective one but you did not give me a chance. You forced me to send a return label and refund and I did not need the backwards one back and have no choice but to just refund the purchase and pay to return the translite”

That's a shame, I'd love to have the backwards one as joke wall art. How did it look otherwise? Why didn't you just reach out to classic arcades first and point out the super obvious mistake?

#2850 5 years ago

Thanks for the comparisons. I noticed similar issues with my repro plastics. Luckily my backglass only has a few minor scratches so I don't need a new one unless I get OCD on it.

That backwards one was funny though, how do you not notice that while you're making or shipping it?

3 weeks later
#2889 5 years ago

I went a little overboard and did red caps, translucent red bodies and red discs, as well as red LEDs with a down firing white, stickers and the AT-AT mod meant for the Stern machine. I think I've posted most of this before. The originals were so loud. I still have all the parts in the coinbox if I ever decide to sell.

IMG_9456 (resized).jpgIMG_9456 (resized).jpg
#2892 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Does this mean your pops don’t move the tops like normal desw ones? I always wondered if they could be replaced with more modern ones.
Would be interested in a video of that! I’d consider doing it to my own machine!

They do not. It's a pretty simple change. The original tops attach to the metal part that moves with hex extenders. Replace these with hex nuts, and a Williams style cap mounts right onto the existing body with screws.

1 month later
#2962 5 years ago
Quoted from janus:

It doesn't have a physical knocker. That era uses a chirp with the speakers

This machine absolutely has a knocker. It's down in the cabinet to the left of the cabinet speaker.

See this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-replay-knocker

#2966 5 years ago

$25 and some soldering and you're back in business.

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsega-knocker-assembly.html

#2968 5 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Just ordered. Had to order a strike plate too, why remove that?

Maybe they're taking it to be a knocker somewhere else? Who knows? I assumed people just took the coil to fix a game on route, but it looks like you guys are missing the whole thing.

1 month later
#3013 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

OK - so only when R2 moves does the DS move ?
This one seemed to be rotating almost all the time. Certainly during multiball. I had a SW before just cant remember . I only had a quick test game/throwing balls round the table ...will check it again tomorrow.

It should spin all the time during a game. Much like R2s head spinning left and right. Not linked to when R2 jumps up and down.

2 weeks later
#3034 4 years ago

CPR has the whole set for $150. I needed just a few pieces (like yours) but just bought the whole thing anyway.

2 weeks later
#3070 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

i am putting some clear buttons for the flippers, i was thinking of not only puttin some flaming leds that are going all the time, but i thought it might be cool to throw some flashers in there whenever you hit the button. Anyone have an idea of how to wire that?

There's not a lot of room for lights behind the flipper button due to the switch. I had a hard enough time getting regular lights mounted back there, I have no idea how you'd squeeze a flasher in there.

3 weeks later
#3133 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

So a question should this plastic sit perfectly flat when mounted? The scoop seems to sit to high causing the plastic to be bent around it to mount correctly. Both scoops on playfield are the same height, and the old plastic was bent to fit. Just not sure if that is normal or something is up[quoted image]

Mine is bent but I’ve been wondering the same thing. I think others I’ve looked at as well are bent.

9 months later
#3475 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am looking.
The major hurdle I have to try to overcome is that I need more free space to fit the Speeder Mode code.
Would you guys be OK if the amount of different Playfield Light Shows was reduced in order to be able to add full Speeder Mode? The game would still play the Playfield Light Shows as it does today, it would just not have as many different ones. Meaning... instead of the game overall having a variety of 14 light shows, it would instead have a variety of maybe 6 to 8.

I'd love to have a reason to use the handle, not just the button! As long as you're only taking out attract mode lighting I am ALL for it.

Then maybe you could do a few things to LW3....

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You have to have the OEM "T" handle in order to have anything make sense.

I just leave it down all the time. If I feel like opening the death star early I just push the button. Does it do anything when it's up?

#3521 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yep! Setting "Adjustment 48 - Proprietary" to "NO" will prevent the Ball Launcher coil from firing every time you press button to shoot the Storm Troopers.

That's funny as you can change this on LW3 as well (which came out before SW), but its actually listed as the option.

I like it to keep it on on both machines.

1 month later
#3568 3 years ago
Quoted from dmeca12:

What's the newest software?

Unofficially 1.07 from @chadh. It's worth it.

https://www.pinballcode.com/

#3570 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Having a sudden sound issue. I remember reading about someone else having a similar issue.
M-m-May May May m m m may the force be w w w w may the force be with you. Over and over usually until the sound cuts all the way out and game play is silent.
Do I have a lose wire somewhere or a sound rom issue or something else?

That’s the sound it makes when the sound board boots so it sounds like it’s rebooting a few times then just not booting. I’d focus on power.

2 months later
1 month later
#3667 3 years ago

1.07 is Chad's latest so you're good there.

Sound ROMs are irrelevant if you've got a PinSound. I love my pinsound, and have the pinsound shaker, which is great as well. Haven't had a chance to see if that sound is in the original orchestration. I'll pull the glass in a bit and make the required shots.

DEFINITELY get a ColorDMD! I'd go with the LED version, I had to do a bit of work to fit the LCD version in mine.

Where'd you get the sideblades from?

#3670 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I got the side blades from ministryofpinball.com. They’re the only ones I found that really matched the art and theme.

Any issues with shipping? How long did it take?

My PinSound seems to only have the “pinball” sound without the laugh. It laughed with the original sound card so I’m assuming that sound didn’t get pulled from the ROM correctly. I’ll dig through the files more to see if it’s somewhere else but I assume it’s a simple swap.

#3674 3 years ago

Ordered the sideblades. Lets hope I can install them and not scratch them up!!!

#3680 3 years ago

I recorded the Pinball Hu Hu Hu off the website above and made it into a WAV file for PinSound

It goes here 3720640276-pinball which is in the Voice folder

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X06_xd4D41ThrhDC2ciynuCYr0B_INxg/view?usp=sharing

#3687 3 years ago
Quoted from sjt1803:

I burned new cpu code v1.07. and installed it. (was 1.03)
The game seems to run fine with it, however, when first powered up, it plays "May the force" and stops there. and continues the boot up.
Is this normal for this version of software?
After it's up and running all sounds play fully.

That’s just the sound card booting. Don’t worry unless it starts doing it during the game.

Although I do recommend PinSound as well

3 months later
#3746 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone else wish to check yours to see if it does this? I would roll the ball through the outer loop till I had 7 of the 8 inserts lit, easier to see that way and then pop in The Force.
Gary

Mine flicker sometimes as well. I will try your suggestions and see if I have the same symptoms. I've got comet LEDs as well and replaced the original power supply board with a Rottendog which didn't do anything.

#3752 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

What I have been able to pin down oddly enough is if you hit The Force or Jabba's and the ball ejects, they will flicker and will continue to flicker till you hit a popper or slingshot and then they stop. I can consistently get it to exhibit this behavior.

Tried this tonight and I can reproduce the effects.

#3758 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Plugging in my Siegecraft lamp matrix tester reveals it is a code/mpu issue as all the playfield wiring and lamps are bypassed. Its faint but you can see the lamps on the first column flicker. [quoted image][quoted image]

Wonder if this is something ChadH could fix?

1 week later
#3801 3 years ago

Looks awesome! Definitely interested in a kit of some sort!

1 month later
#3854 3 years ago
Quoted from Enki:

Hey guys, I’m changing out the led’s to normal bulbs and have a question. What bulb size do I use for like under the slingshots, the lane guides? I’m sure all the leds are #44 that were in the game when I bought it. Where do you use the #47 bulbs. I can’t find an actual placement guide of which sizes go where.

a #47 is just a dimmer #44. I'd just use #44 (bayonet) and #555 (wedge).

1 week later
#3871 3 years ago

"Any suggestions on where to start beside the obvious?"

Do the R2D2 and death star motors work?

Obviously check all the switches.

#3874 3 years ago
Quoted from Dthwsh:

Do i have to burn my own ROM? I was hoping to just buy one like I did for my TAF

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/

He can burn you the latest.

1 week later
#3914 3 years ago
Quoted from dino7c:

Anybody know where I can get those thick yellow targets or a suitable replacement? The guy before me just put in some random stand up targets. A red square, blue circle...looks weird

For what it worth, I went with red transparent as there are flashers behind them. I think it looks nice.

1 year later
#4280 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Thinking of replacing the DMD with a color DMD. I see that there are several out there. Which one is the best?

To install the LCD on a Data East you need to dremel the plastic out on the DMD panel so it will fit. The LED version is a much simpler swap. That being said, I have one of each in 2 Data Easts (DESW and LW3)

7 months later
#4464 1 year ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I just installed a ColorDMD in my Roadshow and I'm thinking about getting one for my DESW. Anybody have any tips or tricks (or cautionary tales) prior to me installing one of these in the DESW?

Get the LED version unless you want to spend a bunch of time dremelling out your DMD holder for the LCD.
I also recommend the power cable adapter for DE games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cabuford.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.