(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 minutes ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2935 5 years ago

Just joined the club ! Had loan of a SW before but now just scored a project.

Quick question before I dive in - the R2 unit is gonna need to come out for some TLC .... is this pretty straightforward/obvious ?? or are there any top tips / advice that I should be aware of. I haven't read thru all 59 pages of the club posts

P1080502 (resized).JPGP1080502 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#2995 4 years ago
Quoted from acidburn:

Has anyone purchased the Sideboard Decals from Ministry? What is the quality of material like? How do they hold up to playfield scrapes?
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/6656/s/star-wars-sideboard-decals/

Highly recommend Retro Refurbs sideblades. They are anti scuff, anti scratch, super tough and look great. Many positive reviews on Pinballinfo forum. Plus they are in the UK !

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/?s=star+wars&post_type=product

#2998 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

i HIGHLY disagree. They sent me the most horrifically bad Star Wars translite. Not to mention eat was xpensive and took over a month to ship it.

I was talking specifically about their Sideblades. Pete and Retro Refurbs have a very good reputation in the UK pinball scene. I can't comment on your bad experience - hope you got it sorted with them.

1 week later
#3000 4 years ago

Just putting this Star Wars back together. Question - what is the point of the 2 lamps behind the Admiral Akbar part. I could understand if it was a regular plastic but it's solid metal so they don't illuminate it ??? Are they meant to reflect light back onto R2D2 ?? Just seems odd.

#3010 4 years ago

Just rebuilt one and testing it. When does the Death Star spin ? All the time ? Most of the time ?

#3012 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

It spins with R2D2, most of the time. If yours is sticking you probably need to reflow the solder on the relay below the PF or replace it. If it’s not spinning at all probably a fuse

OK - so only when R2 moves does the DS move ?

This one seemed to be rotating almost all the time. Certainly during multiball. I had a SW before just cant remember . I only had a quick test game/throwing balls round the table ...will check it again tomorrow.

#3014 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

It should spin all the time during a game. Much like R2s head spinning left and right. Not linked to when R2 jumps up and down.

Ah ok thanks. I just had another quick look and yes it's spinning constantly in the game.

2 weeks later
#3033 4 years ago

The last month I have been looking all over Europe for that one. No luck so far

3 months later
#3177 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Hope these help, luckily mine is detached at the moment[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That part always seemed massively over designed for what is just a lamp behind an insert

1 month later
#3218 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I’ve got my R2D2 motor removed because I wasn’t willing to buy a new one just yet. No judgement here

I bought a new one for my R2 ............ that was 6 months ago now and still haven't fitted it I think his head moving is over rated anyway

1 month later
#3246 4 years ago

Hi guys

My Death Star is maybe a little noisy when turning, it could be normal but I had a SW here before and don't remember noticing it. Is it easy to open up the motor and lubricate it ? Any tips appreciated.

Apologies if this has been covered before - I haven't trawled through all the posts.

#3248 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:You don't have to look far, its covered about 30 posts ago, on the same page as you posted

#3250 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

Ok, got the solenoid and phantom switch issues resolved. I'm now noticing that the dmd is acting funny..certain animation sequences will just go blank half way thru (like the death star being destroyed) and I'll just be stuck with a blank screen for a few seconds. Other times it will just display the current rom version at random times (not when in holding both flippers for status check) would I be correct in assuming this is a board issue? Anyone encounter something like this before?

I had strange DMD behaviour on a Star Wars before .... garbage on display, stuff cutting out, freezing, blanking etc. Turned out to be a flaky ribbon cable. A new cable sorted it out.

In the first instance try reseating / swapping ribbon cable ends over.

#3252 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

yup...reseated the cables and tried to smooth out the kinks a little..that seems to have done the trick for now

Good news. If it happens again just fit a new cable.

2 months later
#3306 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I bought a new one for my R2 ............ that was 6 months ago now and still haven't fitted it I think his head moving is over rated anyway

Update - I finally fitted the new one

It's actually pretty cool having it move again.

#3312 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Hi guys
My Death Star is maybe a little noisy when turning, it could be normal but I had a SW here before and don't remember noticing it. Is it easy to open up the motor and lubricate it ? Any tips appreciated.
Apologies if this has been covered before - I haven't trawled through all the posts.

For the record - I opened up the motor, cogs were all pretty clean. There was a bit of sticky gunk where the shaft entered the casing. Gave everything a good clean. Re-assembled. So much quieter - cant hear it with the glass on.

#3328 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Data East Star Wars had three types of video modes in the game.
1) laser fight.
2) trough shot.
3) speeder bike.
All gone.

Huh ?

Do you mean the laser fight with the stormtroopers ? And the skill/launch shot to hit a tie fighter ? Last time I played my game they were still there

#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

By the way, the early rom I have has Jabba saying “Pinball Ha Ha Ha” instead of just “ Pinball” when you hit the start button with no credits. This seems to have been removed in later revisions

I have Chads ROM revision in mine and "Pinball Ha Ha Ha" is def in there during gameplay. Always makes me laugh.

I have it on Freeplay so no idea what happens with start button / no credits.

#3350 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any idea where these apparent video modes trench run and light saber battle were to be implemented in the game?
Are there any hidden eggs still in the code that are sort of like placeholders for these?
This latest discussion this week is the first I've heard of them.

With the playfield as it is I'm guessing it would be a Force award ? Seeing that you need the ball to be held up whilst you do the video mode.

#3392 4 years ago

Quoted from ChadH:Once I am done with my Data East Star Trek update (coming soon!) , I will take a stab at integrating Speeder Video Mode into this game. No guarantees as I need to clear up a decent amount of ROM space, but fingers are crossed.

Incredible news !

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

You'll love it if you're a Star Trek fan. The code is meh but the layout is fun. I'm sure Chad's update will breathe fresh air into another classic.

Yep - standard DE for the time, shallow rules but enough going on to have a lot of fun. Artwork is great, all round a great package, the transporter effect in the backbox is awesome. The star Trek sound effects, the crazy high octane DE take on the Trek music I always enjoy playing it.

1 month later
#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

I get alot of airballs to. Just got some new glass and you can see scratches already from the ball. I think it is just the design of the game.

I get airballs from the posts either side of the Death Star lane - especially the right hand one. Strange ...the post is fine - solid, vertical. Occasionally it can end up back in the shooter lane

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Having issues with my flashers not working and back box lights being dimmed at times. I can jiggle the wires and the lights either work fully or turn off. I was advised to change the connector and repin the wires.
The picture shown is that of the correct/old connector. I took that then cut the wires. What I didn’t realize Until after cutting is that some of the wires are the same color.
I traced everything back the best I could and repinned and reconnected but now the top half of the back box lights are off and none of the flashers are still working. I believe I have 2 wrongly placed pins.
What I am asking is if anyone familiar with the order and knows which pin controls those 2 issues?
In case it’s unclear that is the connection at the bottom left inside the back box.[quoted image]

If you only did the connector you could still have issues with the header pins. Remove the board and reflow solder at the pins, or replace.
Worth checking the fuse clips also - common fail point on these DE.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Schematic_Diagrams_English_Manual_pages_46_69.pdf

GI (resized).JPGGI (resized).JPGflashers (resized).JPGflashers (resized).JPG
1 month later
#3499 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

A small one, but when I power the game on all I get is "may the force" and then it cuts out. Anybody else get this?

Totally normal

#3515 4 years ago

Anyone ever have the ball fly off the ramp and smack R2 in the head ?

1 month later
#3557 3 years ago

Considering what individual plastics sell for .... that seems a good price

1 week later
#3571 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Having a sudden sound issue. I remember reading about someone else having a similar issue.
M-m-May May May m m m may the force be w w w w may the force be with you. Over and over usually until the sound cuts all the way out and game play is silent.
Do I have a lose wire somewhere or a sound rom issue or something else?

Power to the sound board is flaky.
In the first instance reseat the power connector on the sound board a few times and see if that helps - it's the one on the lower edge of the board as you look at it.

1 week later
#3595 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Over the years... it seams like Jabbas Bounty Assembly is the one thing
that gets messed up and goes missing on this pinball machine.

I think I read somewhere in this thread that its possible to snag/damage the Jabba lamp assembly when the playfield is lifted and tilted back for maintenance.

1 week later
#3608 3 years ago

Nice. Unfortunately shipping to the UK is more than the ramp

2 months later
#3656 3 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that jabba laughs after he says "pinball". he doesn't do that on my machine. What do I need to fix?

What game and sound roms do you have running ?

3 months later
#3810 3 years ago
Quoted from Seth1977:

how cool would it be to actually have a two piece Death Star. outside be the gray and an inside clear with all the windows displayed. I don't see any point in the lights it has in it now. serves zero purpose. lets correct that!

It is possible to illuminate the stock death star - a friend did it to his. If you carefully sand the high parts on the inside the death star with fine wet/dry paper (1200 or so) this will remove the paint/coating allowing light to shine through. Looks great.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
1 month later
#3856 3 years ago

Left the club ! Great game, I enjoyed it back in the day and I enjoyed restoring this one but that old enemy ...space ....forced sale .......
May the force be with you SW owners

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=Ive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.