(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DJY2J.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2766 5 years ago

Hey gang. New pin owner. Having a Star Wars Power issue. Replaced the power board and have now discovered it's and issue at the fuse down in the volume control box. It's finicky and had to be twisted in just right for the machine to power on. It has since gotten extremely worse. The bottom of the fuse holder will literally catch on fire if turned on. Holy he'll. What do I do?

1 year later
#3254 4 years ago

Having a couple issues.

First: both slingshots aren't kicking. Went out at the same time. Both metal prongs on each side behind the rubbers acknowledge contact but won't activate the kicker.

Second: Have a pop bumper that's not activating fully. Southern most pop bumper won't pop unless the ball rolls on the left side of the plastic ring. Anything on the right does't seem to be allowing that plastic piece to push down and activate. Is this normally because of a worn spring or plastic ring or something else? I can push it down with my finger and make it pop properly but the weight of the ball just isn't cutting it any longer.

Third: (and most annoying and probably hardest to pinpoint. Bought a Pinsound plus board for this machine. First one was faulty and had awful sound quality and had to send it back. They sent me a new board and it's still not what i envisioned. It acts better than this first board they game me but still really muddy sound and seems to sound distant. I have Pyle speakers and sub that sound good with the factory board but so far don't jive with Pinsound +. I have all the positive negatives connected properly on the speakers. Everything is connected properly to the pinsound +. Have adjusted all audio dials. I even have the extra pinsound power cable that they suggest getting to ensure there is no loss of power. Didn't know if anyone here has a pinsound plus in theirs or have had any similar issues? At this point I'll probably pull it back out take the loss and try to recoup as much of my $400 plus as I can. Super frustrating.

#3257 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

I have a pinsound+ in my SWDE - works beautifully! In order to pinpoint the problem, try using the line out of the pinsound. I have actually replaced speakers with the Pinsound speaker set and also added a headphones station (for easy volume control) and the pinsound shaker. Really loving the setup! The data east power cable is a must.

Interesting. I'm going to go take a look at it tomorrow. Machine is on route. So do you have your speakers and sub hooked up through the line out or just one or the other? Just trying to wrap my head around the setup. Pinsound has not been very helpful in troubleshooting. They rather have just blamed me for hooking it up wrong. I'm done with them.

#3259 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I don't know if this helps or is worse, but I have a Tommy and love the Pinsound board's ability to customize the music, but I found the sound quality to be good, just not awesome - only okay. I would not have described the sound as muddy or distance, just kind of "eh..." I added a pinwoofer set of speakers [two top and a sub - that were Pyle] and the amps. I had to add a separate power supply to power the amps since they wouldn't integrate into the pinsound board for power, and it improved things ten-fold. The support from pinwoofer was great. However, this would mean that you have to spend more money ... ugh. BUT, might be worth an email to the pinwoofer fellow - he's very helpful.

Thanks, it was helpful because it gives me some options to ponder. Are you saying that you had some pyle speakers in yours and then you upgraded to the Pinwoofer? I have a pinwoofer in my Walking Dead that sounds awesome. And, yes he was very helpful. My amp had a bad power cord but he quickly got me a new power cord.

I guess im probably at the point where im not going to sink any more money into the sound system in that machine. Not sure what's causing it not to jive as well as it should but there is something. I have hooked it up with and without the added power cord and I hear no difference in quality. Just real muddy, and alot of mid despite recalibrating the pinsound every possible way. I have the same Pyle speakers in my Iron Maiden with no added power or amp upgrades and it sounds great.

#3261 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

Perhaps the speakers in your cabinet are busted!

I'll try another pair that i was going to throw in Walking Dead but these are less than a year old and they sound fine with the original sound card. Not hearing or any fuzz or static or anything but ill try the other ones just to rule that out.

#3264 4 years ago

Ok now having all sorts of other issues all the sudden.

Death Star motor and door motor both quit. The Death Star motor has been replaced in the last year. I find it hard to believe it’s bad already. Door motor is original. Door still acknowledging hits. Sensor works properly but door won’t raise or lower. Motor not spinning under play field.

Have gone through all fuses. Have resoldered flimsy connection points on coils.

Still nothing. Flashers still dead. Kickers still dead and dead in coil test.

Beyond frustrated.

#3267 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Did R2D2 also stop spinning?

Unfortunately R2 has never spun. He hops though. The motor and another piece inside was missing when i bought it. I bought the motor to replace, that's when i learned there was another connector type piece inside missing and I just scrapped the idea because i have no idea what other piece was missing to connect to the motor.

I'll post some pics of everything in the head here in the next day or so.

2 months later
#3418 4 years ago

Hello, having a first time issue with my Star Wars. Keeps saying 1 ball missing when all balls present. Will not start a game and all coils kick a ball out when I drop one in.

My first guess is that it’s a switch issue in the trough that’s failing to acknowledge but I’m not an expert and haven’t had the issue in any other machines.

If so, if you could tell me the kind of switch I can order it from Marcos but I’m a beginner when it comes to knowing about switches.

Thanks!

1 week later
#3432 4 years ago

Having issues with my flashers not working and back box lights being dimmed at times. I can jiggle the wires and the lights either work fully or turn off. I was advised to change the connector and repin the wires.

The picture shown is that of the correct/old connector. I took that then cut the wires. What I didn’t realize Until after cutting is that some of the wires are the same color.

I traced everything back the best I could and repinned and reconnected but now the top half of the back box lights are off and none of the flashers are still working. I believe I have 2 wrongly placed pins.

What I am asking is if anyone familiar with the order and knows which pin controls those 2 issues?

In case it’s unclear that is the connection at the bottom left inside the back box.

929D2F51-5B45-49EA-AED5-4C45EF609B43 (resized).jpeg929D2F51-5B45-49EA-AED5-4C45EF609B43 (resized).jpeg
#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

If you only did the connector you could still have issues with the header pins. Remove the board and reflow solder at the pins, or replace.
Worth checking the fuse clips also - common fail point on these DE.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Schematic_Diagrams_English_Manual_pages_46_69.pdf[quoted image][quoted image]

So J5 is the one I am repinning. I apologize if I misspoke

#3442 4 years ago

Also, another queston, I am having trouble finding a replacement part, maybe because i don't know the exact name. Underneath the cabinet is the on off switch. It is connected inside to a small grey box. This small gray box is inside the metal box where the volume knob is. The small gray box has (I think) 4 power wires connected to it and it switches the current open or closed based on the power switch position on the bottom of the cab.

I have replaced this part before but now I can't seem to find it online now. Anyone know the exact name of it because I can't seem to find it on Marcos or Pinball Life. Thanks.

1 week later
#3446 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

It's called a emi line filter. Marco should have them

So I ordered the EMI with help from Marcos I’m getting one that would work but now my problem is getting it to function with the on off switch. The old one, that you see burnt to a crisp, would fit snug onto the toggle switch when placed on top of it. The new part, pictured, doesn’t have an opening underneath for the switch to fit into to be able to turn it off and on, open/close circuit. Is there a better part available or am I going to have to add more wires to connect to the toggle switch?

034C0566-5F78-4460-A33F-3381FE7BB274 (resized).jpeg034C0566-5F78-4460-A33F-3381FE7BB274 (resized).jpegF2A09CA5-5C7E-45D0-9B3C-B2AEBBB2E148 (resized).jpegF2A09CA5-5C7E-45D0-9B3C-B2AEBBB2E148 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3454 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Does anyone have any spare plastics? I need a few, but not quite enough to buy a whole set.

I bought a set a year ago and used a few like the slingshots, boba fett, and maybe one or 2 others. I have them laying around here somewhere. Which ones do you need?

1 week later
#3484 4 years ago

Things to consider when updating code: (JUST MY 2 CENTS)

Attract screens: Things to remove or fix
-Rocky and Bullwinkle screens
-"value screen" where it talks about 3 plays for a dollar
-Don't drink and drive screen (I find the "winners don't use drugs" screen comical so if it doesn't take much room i'd say leave it but wouldn't be mad about removing either)
-BSMNT 2000 screen talking about the "high power" audio
-I've always hated the "main theme", "shooter theme", and "attract mode" sound file during attract mode. Would rather be the star wars or the star wars win theme file

Gameplay:
-seizure inducing strobe flash when death star door is lowered.
-I don't get the storm trooper shootout mode. Seems like a distraction more than it adds to gameplay. I wouldn't miss it.
-When trying to shoot enemy ship and it wants you to use force because the ship is not visible (during extra ball), I feel like it doesn't play the "Use the force Luke" at the proper time to explain why there is no visible ship but only the SFx. I guess I'd want more sound effects or audio during that time like "use the force luke echo" "luke" "concentrate." Just think it would make that part of gameplay better. It feels super clunky

Other:

-Lowering the default high scores. My game is usually routed. Players like to see their name on the high scores even if the score is low. It's a pain in the ass to go in and lower each one like I have done in the past. This only happens when I have to reset the game usually for a repair.

Underutilized SFX: (labeled as they are in the zip download file)
There is a great disturbance in the force
This is some rescue
wait for me
evacuate in our moment of triumph
don't underestimate the force
blaster shot (any of the 3 files)
laser saber
cantina 2
i thought it s so bad on the outside (talking about the Tauntan)

If there is anyway to insert those into the game more that'd be cool.

Just all suggestions. I appreciate the time you take to work on and improve code. I'll buy an update ROM chip with it from you once it's done.

#3486 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Doesn't the game have adjustments to set high score and to set
when the high score gets reset?
every xx games.

Yes and I have the reset turned off. the default high scores are really high. I find it that casual players play longer if they feel like they can get their name on the board. Manually lowering each one after a reset is a pain and time consuming. Doesn't happen often but i had some NVRAM repairs recently and I found myself doing it 3 separate times.

#3488 4 years ago

Yeah. down 50 would be fine

#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

A small one, but when I power the game on all I get is "may the force" and then it cuts out. Anybody else get this?

Yes, I think I noticed the change when upgrading roms but could be a coincidence and something else could be the issue. I’d like to fix it also

1 month later
#3537 3 years ago

Finally got the art blades I ordered from overseas. There aren’t many choices online for blades but I deemed these to be the best.

(Don’t mind the crooked pop bumper, it’s intact about 75% of the time)

0CAE0BAC-1444-4FFE-91BC-E76C7D88F19B (resized).jpeg0CAE0BAC-1444-4FFE-91BC-E76C7D88F19B (resized).jpeg4C29DCF6-7C31-4044-B64B-37A7EA7844A8 (resized).jpeg4C29DCF6-7C31-4044-B64B-37A7EA7844A8 (resized).jpegB1CF0C41-ABF5-45A6-8C4E-8C1698250350 (resized).jpegB1CF0C41-ABF5-45A6-8C4E-8C1698250350 (resized).jpegD22F6251-E2CC-4DFE-BDEB-875054AC5B37 (resized).jpegD22F6251-E2CC-4DFE-BDEB-875054AC5B37 (resized).jpeg
#3539 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I have these very same ones, but haven't installed them yet. Did you take your PF out?

I didn’t but it was a 2 person event. Wasn’t easy. Had to do some cutting also since the cuts on mine didn’t seem right.

I basically got one in place and then pealed the far end first and then stuck it and then slowly rolled the peel back behind as I went.

Got the idea from a forum topic here.

3 weeks later
#3569 3 years ago

Having a sudden sound issue. I remember reading about someone else having a similar issue.

M-m-May May May m m m may the force be w w w w may the force be with you. Over and over usually until the sound cuts all the way out and game play is silent.

Do I have a lose wire somewhere or a sound rom issue or something else?

#3573 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Still working on my project Star Wars, Just bought a complete plastic set, now I need a translight anyone have one laying around they want to sell? Or is there a custom translight that looks better.

There’s A couple on EBay for about $88. There’s also an alternate here:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/star-wars-data-east-dark-side-alternate-pinball-translite/

I like the background of the alternate but Luke and Leah just don’t do it for me.

D1951ECB-0D5D-449D-8ECF-7E77EA01294D (resized).jpegD1951ECB-0D5D-449D-8ECF-7E77EA01294D (resized).jpeg
8 months later
#3863 3 years ago

I have a set of plastics sitting around that I bought awhile back. I needed just a couple so I still have the majority of the bag. I used the slingshots, boba fett and maybe one or 2 more. The rest are here and just sitting. If there's a specific plastic you are looking for PM me and I'll see if I have it and hopefully we can work out a deal to get it to you rather than you buying a whole set for just one or 2...like I did

#3896 3 years ago
Quoted from Enki:

I have a question about nvram.
I just installed it into 5D on the cpu board which is version is 03 and J4 is not there but J5 is. When I take the batteries out everything resets, tells me to open the door. I change the settings back to free play turn off and back on but still says to open door and it’s all reset again. What am I doing wrong?

I was never able to get my NVRAM installed properly and had similar issues so im following this also

2 months later
#3983 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Anyone have an extra of this plastic they'd sell?
[quoted image]

I have some extras

I have some also that I can part out.

Quoted from PappaDubz:

Just joined the club
Should I do mirror blades or art blades
I like the set of blades on ministrypinball

I grabbed the Ministry ones. Love em. Get lots of compliments.

6 months later
#4146 2 years ago
Quoted from pageau:

Is anybody here have installed a Pin Stadium light mod in there SW machine? I find the game quite dark and I'm really tempted to try it.
https://pinstadium.com/gallery/

I’ve had them installed for a couple years now. Game changer. Just the lowest level Pinstadiums

3BC70200-08B4-4435-B27F-B24C94447466 (resized).jpeg3BC70200-08B4-4435-B27F-B24C94447466 (resized).jpeg51D86B38-F3BA-465B-8FF0-829664B53C22 (resized).jpeg51D86B38-F3BA-465B-8FF0-829664B53C22 (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#4191 2 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Thank you !! My motor must be bad because I cannot switch it from the off position and it never raises are lowers.

If you are hearing something but no movement could just be off track. I had to adjust mine recently. It came out of position underneath. There's a metal piece that rolls around the plastic piece (bottom of the death star door) and it can get off track and then it will either not function or actually go down when it should be up and vice versa. If that happens to be the case you can pull the plastic piece underneath back so that the metal piece fits back on the track. You can actually do this without disassembling anything. It's not the easiest thing but I did it.

Basically there are 2 switches on each side under there. The metal part moves in a circular motion and is supposed to stop when it hits each switch. One is a switch that tells it that the door is up and the other tells it it's down. Mine got off track and up was down and down was up.

I have also replaced the motor in the past few years. Marcos tends to usually have them in stock.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DJY2J.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?tu=DJY2J and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.