(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 95.
#1 10 years ago

I own one and thought I'd start the club to start a data base from which owners and fans could talk about the game, find parts, modding, sell one or find one or help in troubleshooting. There were 10,400 made 21 years ago so I would imagine there has to be a ton still out there. With 2 interactive toys, good flow and rules, call outs, music and sound effects it's a very enjoyable game to play. Everyone knows the theme and my guests are drawn to it and really have a lot of fun making R2D2 jump up and down and chatter. CPR may see this club and say "we'll make plastics for this game", how many would LOVE that.

Thanks and I have to say it "May the Force Be with You".

#2 10 years ago

Great idea, we love ours. Just got my side mirrors delivered this morning for it and can't wait to install them tonight. I would HIGHLY recommend Chad's code update for this game, it really adds a lot that was missing. I got to hang out with Borg this summer while visiting Stern with my wife. Super nice guy and this game is still his favorite design he has ever done, and has a few good stories about the process.

#3 10 years ago

I have the new code in mine but I don't know what the old one was like. Let us know how the side mirrors fit, should look GREAT! My R2 head was looking it's age so I had it rechromed, $50 but it looks like new now. Sure wish I could get the yellow off his arms though, old plastic. Cool...what did you talk about?

#4 10 years ago

www.pinballcode.com has all the information about the code update. You will also find an updated guide that incorporates the new rules and also some rare prototype pictures.

#5 10 years ago

I love playing SW and have been looking for a HUO at a decent price. One of my favorite things is ship sounds on ramp returns. Great game

#6 10 years ago

Question...are the pop caps supposed to have spacers holding them up from the body? The caps really light up nice with Comet red "Fan" shape bulbs.

#7 10 years ago

I really like my SW. Got it at York...the target inside the Death Star was broken, but some plastic epoxy did it well. Then it broke again....I do have a replacement, but as long as I can keep this one going....

Since I had to have it out to re-glue it, I thought I'd paint it to match the Death Star. Pleased with how it looks; and if I ever have to use that replacement, I'll paint it first too.

Got Chad's chip upgrade, and it's worth it for sure.

I had an awful glare from a spotlight right over the game, so I made a Death Star lamp cover, and hung almost 50 ships around it.

target-2.jpgtarget-2.jpg
1.jpg1.jpg
1-2.jpg1-2.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

#8 10 years ago

He talked about how R2 was supposed to move like he does in the DMD animation, but was cost cut to only be the coil. There were others but I can't remember, I'll have to ask the wife.

#9 10 years ago

I just got one a month ago and absolutely love it. Like others said, Chads code is great! I played it a lot in college with the old code and this makes it a different dynamic. I was able to find some plastics I needed from http://www.pinballuniverse.com/starwarsparts.htm. Also, the same website has perfect touch up paint for the cabinet. I used it and it turned out great!

#10 10 years ago

Hey thanks for the pinball universe tip. I have been looking for some matching touch up paint. My DE Star Wars was the first pin I ever got. I love it and will never sell. The new chip has made it even better. I want to add some toys to the playfield but have not done so. Would love to see mods others have done.

#11 10 years ago

I love the Jedi animation when Luke battles Vader. Seems like that's the Force option that comes up the least though. PITA to play with kids in the room, pretty soon everyone is going "Shoot the Death Star!" and "Mmm! Extra Ball you have!"

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from scottrogers:

Hey thanks for the pinball universe tip. I have been looking for some matching touch up paint. My DE Star Wars was the first pin I ever got. I love it and will never sell. The new chip has made it even better. I want to add some toys to the playfield but have not done so. Would love to see mods others have done.

I just added a bunch of ships to the Death Star light cover I put over the game, I would imagine you could attach them to the playfield plastics too. Micromachines for price value, or go for the ones from FantasyFlightGames.com for some really awesome minute detail. I attached some plastic skulls to the playfield plastics in my HH with command strips.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from scottrogers:

Scott,
Great to hear you can use the paint I was apprehensive at first, but it really is a perfect match once it dries.

#14 10 years ago

I've had my Star Wars for a few years and can't recommend the Chad code update enough. It's crazy how tweaking and updating the code can make a game so much better. I've put some micromachines and action figures in the game. I found an ATAT model the other day in my old bedroom at my parents house and it fits perfectly in the loop twist thing after the ramp. I just got some led's today and put them in. DSC_0039.JPGDSC_0039.JPGDSC_0032.JPGDSC_0032.JPG

#15 10 years ago

The paintjob on the deathstar door looks good Sharon. I've thought about putting a darth vader decal or sticker there, but haven't yet. Anyone have any other ideas?

#16 10 years ago

Favorite quote from the game?

Mine is... "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."

I just love the whole Tri-Ball video sequence.

#17 10 years ago

Where's the easiest place to get Cabinet decals and what kind of cost? I'm looking at one but the cabinet is horrendous.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Where's the easiest place to get Cabinet decals and what kind of cost? I'm looking at one but the cabinet is horrendous.

No one makes a cab decal as far as I know, I believe the original cab artwork was silk screened on.

#19 10 years ago

Thanks for posting guys, some really cool ideas for modding. Can anyone answer my question?

#20 10 years ago

I agree Chad. I think it is the best "build-up" or sequence to tri-ball (miltiball) in all of pinball. Or at least that I have seen.

#21 10 years ago

Mustang, I just took the caps of the bumpers to replace the bulbs with led's. I don't exactly know what you mean, but it was a standard pop bumper. I didn't see any spacers.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

No one makes a cab decal as far as I know, I believe the original cab artwork was silk screened on.

So how does one repair a rough cabinet paint job?

#23 10 years ago

Earlier in the summer the local arcade had a tournament and the final was a 3 player game on Star Wars running the 20th anniversary code. What's interesting though is just about everyone was still spamming the ramp thinking they could get cheap points. Guess they didn't notice "3 more for 1 million."

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

No clue. Sorry

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Earlier in the summer the local arcade had a tournament and the final was a 3 player game on Star Wars running the 20th anniversary code. What's interesting though is just about everyone was still spamming the ramp thinking they could get cheap points. Guess they didn't notice "3 more for 1 million."
» YouTube video

To funny. So did you win then?

#26 10 years ago

Nah, I was filming. Don't care to make it to the finals, only have fun playing.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

It looks like my cabinet was completely repainted by hand.

#28 10 years ago

I was fortunate to pick up a very nice DESW a little while back. Only prob I had was a few little marks on the cabinet. I touched it up with some cabinet specific paint I bought from pinball universe. I'll post some before and after pics and attach a link at the bottom if anyone is interested. Went ahead and tore down the entire playfield, added LED's and cleaned her up very nicely. Awesome pin especially with the new 20th anniversary ROM's installed.

http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

DESW1.jpgDESW1.jpg DESW3.jpgDESW3.jpg DESW4.jpgDESW4.jpg DESW5.jpgDESW5.jpg
#29 10 years ago

more...

Paint2.jpgPaint2.jpg Paint1.jpgPaint1.jpg
#30 10 years ago

This was my first pin ever. It was also the first pin I converted to LEDs with the Cointaker kit. It looked great! I traded it with cash for a sweet LOTR, but I still miss it.

#31 10 years ago

My second pin. I installed LED's through the entire machine and installed mirror blades. I also took the time to polish the playfield with the Treasure Cove kit. Still surprised I got the playfield back together with no extra parts! I also added under cab LED color changing lighting. Lastly I upgraded the rules. Actually I purchased the update before owned the pin! Lol...I was set on getting a DESW!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from ktrain315:

How did it turn out? Got any close up pictures?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Jlanderson85:

I was fortunate to pick up a very nice DESW a little while back. Only prob I had was a few little marks on the cabinet. I touched it up with some cabinet specific paint I bought from pinball universe. I'll post some before and after pics and attach a link at the bottom if anyone is interested. Went ahead and tore down the entire playfield, added LED's and cleaned her up very nicely. Awesome pin especially with the new 20th anniversary ROM's installed.

You were very lucky to get a nice cab. Looks great. I have got to order some of that blue paint but I just wonder how faded mine is.

DESW1.jpg 44 KB

DESW3.jpg 53 KB

DESW4.jpg 39 KB

DESW5.jpg 54 KB

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

This was my first pin ever. It was also the first pin I converted to LEDs with the Cointaker kit. It looked great! I traded it with cash for a sweet LOTR, but I still miss it.

Bummer, but you got a nice one in trade.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Zolzar:

My second pin. I installed LED's through the entire machine and installed mirror blades. I also took the time to polish the playfield with the Treasure Cove kit. Still surprised I got the playfield back together with no extra parts! I also added under cab LED color changing lighting. Lastly I upgraded the rules. Actually I purchased the update before owned the pin! Lol...I was set on getting a DESW!

With having to lift the entire pf up then back to raise it up how are the blades holding up?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Jlanderson85:

DESW1.jpg 44 KB

DESW3.jpg 53 KB

DESW4.jpg 39 KB

DESW5.jpg 54 KB

Got any more close up pf pictures. They will help me put mine back together.

#37 10 years ago

The tab that holds the front right side of the entrance of my metal ramp was broken and a little farther back the side of the ramp was cracking so a friend TIG welded them for me. Just a little bit of weld scorch marks on it now but it's really strong now. Any one else have that break?

#38 10 years ago

OP, thanks for starting this thread. DESW is #1 on my wishlist so hopefully someday I will join the club...

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballYeti:

OP, thanks for starting this thread. DESW is #1 on my wishlist so hopefully someday I will join the club...

Your very welcome, hope you find one. Even though 10,400 were made they don't come up for sale very often. may be someone here wants to sell?

#40 10 years ago

I'll be joining the club soon. It's about an 8 hour trip each way to pick it up so I'm hoping if the stars align I'll be looking at getting mine this weekend. Can't wait. Gonna be hard to "Stay on Target" at work this week.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I'll be joining the club soon. It's about an 8 hour trip each way to pick it up so I'm hoping if the stars align I'll be looking at getting mine this weekend. Can't wait. Gonna be hard to "Stay on Target" at work this week.

Nice score, keep us posted about the trip and the game condition.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

With having to lift the entire pf up then back to raise it up how are the blades holding up?

The blades are very tight but there is just enough clearance to prevent any scratches. I have lifted the playfield about four time since installing them and so far so good.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Zolzar:

The blades are very tight but there is just enough clearance to prevent any scratches. I have lifted the playfield about four time since installing them and so far so good.

Really I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I lifted the playfield this weekend to clean the cabinet and relocated the knocker and routine the pop bumpers.... no scratches!!

As for the knocker I moved it and its striking plate to the side of the cabinet. I am much more pleased with the volume of the knocker. LOUD!!!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Me too, this playfield is almost as bad as Haunted House to lift. First time I raised it, both the support arm thingies just fell out, and as I was raising it, the whole thing slipped sideways and fell into the cabinet at an odd angle. Somehow, only the back corner was touching anything. PITA to get out again. Still cautious about raising it at all, having to lift it partway to put it back is difficult.

I really like how Fire! lifts - it's got HINGES.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

Me too, this playfield is almost as bad as Haunted House to lift. First time I raised it, both the support arm thingies just fell out, and as I was raising it, the whole thing slipped sideways and fell into the cabinet at an odd angle. Somehow, only the back corner was touching anything. PITA to get out again. Still cautious about raising it at all, having to lift it partway to put it back is difficult.

Mine often did the same darn thing! Every time I thought I had developed a new technique for lifting it, the thing would fall into the cabinet again. Aaargh!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from ktrain315:

Just throwing an idea out there... has anyone ever tried to make a decal?

I did it with the upper playfield of a Grand Lizard and it took a while to create and was costly. But in the case of the Lizard I found very few high rez photos online of an actually good quality lizard so it was a lot of search and a lot of trial and error to get the size right.

The cabinet strikes me as much easier. Shouldn't be too hard to fine high rez images of a cabinet in great shape... and it's basically a rectangle so measurements should be easy.

Or would that be considered blasphamy to put a decal over the silk screen.

#48 10 years ago

Well... OK... Aside from the ridiculous $10K price tag hiring someone airbrush something like this on the cabinet is pretty cool too.

ebay.com link: Data East Star Wars Custom Pinball Machine Most Beautiful Machine Ever

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Just throwing an idea out there... has anyone ever tried to make a decal?
I did it with the upper playfield of a Grand Lizard and it took a while to create and was costly. But in the case of the Lizard I found very few high rez photos online of an actually good quality lizard so it was a lot of search and a lot of trial and error to get the size right.
The cabinet strikes me as much easier. Shouldn't be too hard to fine high rez images of a cabinet in great shape... and it's basically a rectangle so measurements should be easy.
Or would that be considered blasphamy to put a decal over the silk screen.

Mine cab is pretty bad. I would love a set of decals should anybody be able to make them.

#50 10 years ago

I think there would be a problem with putting decals on it. To silk screen they used a special surface wood that was perfectly smooth so I'm thinking if you sanded that surface to get the ink and any planking (which mine has plenty of) off you would loose that surface. I read a thread a while back that described the surface but it was a while ago. I'm just guessing here, I've never done a cab before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.