(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,740 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by jgadzia
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 95.
#3851 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I have as well and didn't have any issues. And yes everything looked fine on the original high voltage DMD until I made the swap. Could it be a ribbon cable or something? I highly doubt it's just a Data East swap issue since the DMDs do essentially the same thing on all games.

Since the original worked fine, I would look more at the Stern one having a fault. Was the LED display known to be working perfectly?

#3852 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Since the original worked fine, I would look more at the Stern one having a fault. Was the LED display known to be working perfectly?

Yes it was working fine in STTNG. I did find another thread with a similar issue, but it was never resolved.

1 week later
#3853 3 years ago

Hey guys, I’m changing out the led’s to normal bulbs and have a question. What bulb size do I use for like under the slingshots, the lane guides? I’m sure all the leds are #44 that were in the game when I bought it. Where do you use the #47 bulbs. I can’t find an actual placement guide of which sizes go where.

#3854 3 years ago
Quoted from Enki:

Hey guys, I’m changing out the led’s to normal bulbs and have a question. What bulb size do I use for like under the slingshots, the lane guides? I’m sure all the leds are #44 that were in the game when I bought it. Where do you use the #47 bulbs. I can’t find an actual placement guide of which sizes go where.

a #47 is just a dimmer #44. I'd just use #44 (bayonet) and #555 (wedge).

#3855 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

a #47 is just a dimmer #44. I'd just use #44 (bayonet) and #555 (wedge).

Or, #47 is less stress on the GI circuitry, because, the lamp filament draws less current
than the #555 and #44 lamps. A substitute for #555 lamp is a #259 lamp.

#3856 3 years ago

Left the club ! Great game, I enjoyed it back in the day and I enjoyed restoring this one but that old enemy ...space ....forced sale .......
May the force be with you SW owners

#3857 3 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Left the club !

"No one's ever really gone..."

#3858 3 years ago

Finally some spare time to install new plastics, note the lexan protection over this commonly broken piece.

20210215_122634 (resized).jpg20210215_122634 (resized).jpg
#3859 3 years ago

Slings getting done. May have to adjust lighting, CPR plastics dont let as much light through.

20210215_125253 (resized).jpg20210215_125253 (resized).jpg
#3860 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Slings getting done. May have to adjust lighting, CPR plastics dont let as much light through.
[quoted image]

Hey I just picked up one of those Hot Wheels Millennium Falcons. How did you mount it?

#3861 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Hey I just picked up one of those Hot Wheels Millennium Falcons. How did you mount it?

Drill two holes in bottom and ran tie wrap through body

#3862 3 years ago

Everything replaced today.

20210215_151118 (resized).jpg20210215_151118 (resized).jpg
#3863 3 years ago

I have a set of plastics sitting around that I bought awhile back. I needed just a couple so I still have the majority of the bag. I used the slingshots, boba fett and maybe one or 2 more. The rest are here and just sitting. If there's a specific plastic you are looking for PM me and I'll see if I have it and hopefully we can work out a deal to get it to you rather than you buying a whole set for just one or 2...like I did

#3864 3 years ago

20210217_135249 (resized).jpg20210217_135249 (resized).jpg

Star Wars finally makes it into the line up. All I need to do now is hide an Ewok in there for the Mrs. and wait for my color display to arrive.

Gary

#3865 3 years ago

Tweaking the lighting for the game room. Replaced the retro warm white in the slings for 5050 sunlight white and added a spots on the left sling and right in front of Jabba's cave on right.

20210217_170633 (resized).jpg20210217_170633 (resized).jpg20210217_172125 (resized).jpg20210217_172125 (resized).jpg

#3866 3 years ago

Pulled the trigger on an LED ColorDMD today. Looking forward to the upgrade!

#3867 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Pulled the trigger on an LED ColorDMD today. Looking forward to the upgrade!

Best upgrade we made to ours!

-Paul

#3868 3 years ago

Agreed. Totally worth it.

#3869 3 years ago

Hello everyone. Finally joined the club!
I picked up a fairly routed one.
Its been sitting for about 5 years in the warehouse. It does have some LEDs but they're all coming out and getting replaced
It has a bill acceptor in the door and its gonna need some love but the PF is almost perfect.
It even had the original manual and keys inside.
Any suggestions on where to start beside the obvious? Titan rubbers, leds, etc.

20210218_211041 (resized).jpg20210218_211041 (resized).jpg20210218_211058 (resized).jpg20210218_211058 (resized).jpg20210218_215845 (resized).jpg20210218_215845 (resized).jpg
#3870 3 years ago

Welcome. Doesn’t look too bad. I guess it really depends on how far you want to go. I generally take it down the the PF, replace plastics, leds, clean parts. So really depends on how much time you want to spend. I replace the balls, clean the PF, and upgrade to ChadHs 1.07 ROM at a minimum

#3871 3 years ago

"Any suggestions on where to start beside the obvious?"

Do the R2D2 and death star motors work?

Obviously check all the switches.

#3872 3 years ago

Also get some Cliffys for them scoops

#3873 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

"Any suggestions on where to start beside the obvious?"
Do the R2D2 and death star motors work?
Obviously check all the switches.

Yes they work really well.

Also get some Cliffys for them scoops

Already on order

Welcome. Doesn’t look too bad. I guess it really depends on how far you want to go. I generally take it down the the PF, replace plastics, leds, clean parts. So really depends on how much time you want to spend. I replace the balls, clean the PF, and upgrade to ChadHs 1.07 ROM at a minimum

Do i have to burn my own ROM? I was hoping to just buy one like I did for my TAF

#3874 3 years ago
Quoted from Dthwsh:

Do i have to burn my own ROM? I was hoping to just buy one like I did for my TAF

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/

He can burn you the latest.

#3875 3 years ago

Whenever I get a new pin I just play it for a few days just to take note of anything that's not working properly, or doesn't look good, and I make a list of things it needs, or upgrades I want to do. I'll keep playing it while I'm waiting for whatever parts I ordered off the list I made.

When parts arrive I tear the top side of the playfield down for a deep cleaning (leia's beard), polishing and waxing. While it's apart I get familiarized with everything (mechs, switches, ramps, plastics...etc), and clean each part I took off before I reinstall it. When everything's spic-n-span is when I install new bulbs, rubbers, and piece everything back together. This is also when I'd remove all of the lamp boards, and reflow solder on the connections.

I also install a lithium battery board in place of the AA's (or NVRam). Check all the fuses to make sure they're the right value, and that the holders are still in good shape. Check the boards for corrosion, and old bulging caps that may need to be changed.

I believe it was a fellow pinsider Mof that posted a really detailed checklist he goes through for each pin he works on. It's a very thorough list that covers everyting.

I guess it's all dependent upon what you're really looking for.

Congrats, and enjoy!

-Paul

#3876 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I got the side blades from ministryofpinball.com. They’re the only ones I found that really matched the art and theme.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thinking about these or chrome/mirrored. A title that begs for them frankly!

#3877 3 years ago

After procrastinating for a long time, in a home not so far away... I've finally got my Pinsound mix ready to be shared with the masses. Thanks to Nicolas at Pinsound in getting the file format updated for the new format as this was made back in the initial months when Pinsound was new. I've had a few people test this over the years; but, haven't placed it online until now.

It has everything, minus the Data East pinball specific callouts reworked and replaced with source materials. Even the pre-multiball DMD sequence has been re-orchestrated using the sound sequence from Episode VI's Death Star super laser firing. I've discovered that the timing for DE games isn't 100% consistent so, the version included in my mix is the best compromise from the testing on the peoples machines over the years.

The mix is very, very large in size and a lot of the cues have multiple variations present in the folder so the game will play them randomly. Due to the size, you need to make sure you use a very fast USB flash drive with excellent read speeds to keep from having any audio delays.

Included in the download is a custom boot.wav file you can use to give the game the proper fanfare it deserves when you power it up.

Enjoy everyone.

https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/346-swde-original-trilogy-ultimate-orchestration/
*The download is pending approval from Pinsound; but, should be available shortly.

*Please excuse the horrible video quality and play while I was recording this.

#3878 3 years ago

Nice Jedi! Can’t wait to give it a spin!

#3879 3 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

After procrastinating for a long time, in a home not so far away... I've finally got my Pinsound mix ready to be shared with the masses. Thanks to Nicolas at Pinsound in getting the file format updated for the new format as this was made back in the initial months when Pinsound was new. I've had a few people test this over the years; but, haven't placed it online until now.
It has everything, minus the Data East pinball specific callouts reworked and replaced with source materials. Even the pre-multiball DMD sequence has been re-orchestrated using the sound sequence from Episode VI's Death Star super laser firing. I've discovered that the timing for DE games isn't 100% consistent so, the version included in my mix is the best compromise from the testing on the peoples machines over the years.
The mix is very, very large in size and a lot of the cues have multiple variations present in the folder so the game will play them randomly. Due to the size, you need to make sure you use a very fast USB flash drive with excellent read speeds to keep from having any audio delays.
Included in the download is a custom boot.wav file you can use to give the game the proper fanfare it deserves when you power it up.
Enjoy everyone.
https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/346-swde-original-trilogy-ultimate-orchestration/
*The download is pending approval from Pinsound; but, should be available shortly.

Looks like the link isn’t working, so I’m guessing waiting on approval?

#3880 3 years ago

Looks like the link isn’t working, so I’m guessing waiting on approval?

Yes. Just checked it and it's still pending.

I've got two more orchestrations uploading (Shadow and STTNG) and see it still pending.

#3881 3 years ago

Looking forward to that mix!! It’s perfect!

#3882 3 years ago

Enjoy everyone.

this is absolutely the best pin sound I have tried, you took great time to accomplish this, I enjoy playing my pin with your files. Thank you for letting me try ahead of time.

#3883 3 years ago

If you want to take it even further, get the PinSound Shaker as well. There's a shaker configuration for SWDE available (or I can send it to you). The haptic feedback from the shaker takes your machine to yet another level.

#3884 3 years ago

Just picked up a DE Star Wars...one question, is the death star supposed to rotate the entire time you are playing? Mine seems to rotate sometimes but not always.

thanks

#3885 3 years ago
Quoted from dino7c:

Just picked up a DE Star Wars...one question, is the death star supposed to rotate the entire time you are playing? Mine seems to rotate sometimes but not always.
thanks

The two animation motors are tied to each other...
If R2D2 head stops then the DeathStar model should also stop.

#3886 3 years ago
Quoted from dino7c:

thanks

Check the relay under playfield, broken solder joints common. As long as the ball is in play it will rotate one way and then the other.

#3887 3 years ago

I have a question about nvram.

I just installed it into 5D on the cpu board which is version is 03 and J4 is not there but J5 is. When I take the batteries out everything resets, tells me to open the door. I change the settings back to free play turn off and back on but still says to open door and it’s all reset again. What am I doing wrong?

#3888 3 years ago

I have 2 R2 kits boxed up and ready to ship. Anyone interested PM me. 100.00 shipped in US only. I won’t be making anymore. I will also be uploading the files and post a link. The kit comes with legs, body, dome, screws, lights ect. You just need to finish like a model. Modify mounting brackets and install stock lighting if you want

023E3CC7-9CDB-447F-844D-0F63A8641F66 (resized).jpeg023E3CC7-9CDB-447F-844D-0F63A8641F66 (resized).jpeg29BD6417-63B1-4142-9686-554DF0979FA3 (resized).jpeg29BD6417-63B1-4142-9686-554DF0979FA3 (resized).jpeg4CE54F1D-AAD9-464B-BAD8-D40FC84AF121 (resized).jpeg4CE54F1D-AAD9-464B-BAD8-D40FC84AF121 (resized).jpeg
#3889 3 years ago

Enjoy everyone.

It looks like the file is approved and is now available. Enjoy!

#3890 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The two animation motors are tied to each other...
If R2D2 head stops then the DeathStar model should also stop.

thanks, tested some more and yes both R2D2 and Death Star rotate sometimes but not often and stop randomly

#3891 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Check the relay under playfield, broken solder joints common. As long as the ball is in play it will rotate one way and then the other.

thanks, looking now...anywhere specific that is most common with this issue?

#3892 3 years ago
Quoted from dino7c:

thanks, looking now...anywhere specific that is most common with this issue?

Broken solder joints on the relay connector pins

#3893 3 years ago

Nice! Gonna give it a run this weekend

#3894 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Broken solder joints on the relay connector pins

Thanks, checked the relay pins and everything looks good. They will both work for 30 seconds or so, stop, randomly start working again. Bad motor? would that have them both stopping at the same time.

#3895 3 years ago

I have a question for the group.
I have cleaned and waxed the PF and I've played a few games now.
The Game was a routed machine and probably sat the last 5-8 years.
Anyway, the pop bumpers sound really chincy, like really cheap. Compared to my Addams that sound solid when a ball hits them.
I checked under the playfield, everything is tight.
So my question is has anyone used williams pops on this machine? OR do you know a way to firm up the pops?
thanks.

#3896 3 years ago
Quoted from Enki:

I have a question about nvram.
I just installed it into 5D on the cpu board which is version is 03 and J4 is not there but J5 is. When I take the batteries out everything resets, tells me to open the door. I change the settings back to free play turn off and back on but still says to open door and it’s all reset again. What am I doing wrong?

I was never able to get my NVRAM installed properly and had similar issues so im following this also

#3897 3 years ago
Quoted from Dthwsh:

I have a question for the group.
I have cleaned and waxed the PF and I've played a few games now.
The Game was a routed machine and probably sat the last 5-8 years.
Anyway, the pop bumpers sound really chincy, like really cheap. Compared to my Addams that sound solid when a ball hits them.
I checked under the playfield, everything is tight.
So my question is has anyone used williams pops on this machine? OR do you know a way to firm up the pops?
thanks.

Data East games of this generation had "chunky" sounding pops. It's just part of the feel of game. I'm sure some of the feeling is from the big caps that are on it.

I don't know if I would change it or if it could be done.

#3898 3 years ago

Data East games of this generation had "chunky" sounding pops. It's just part of the feel of game. I'm sure some of the feeling is from the big caps that are on it.

Star Wars and Checkpoint have unique pop bumper caps that move up and down with the pop rings, the only two pins that ever came that way. The extra mass makes them slower to actuate.

#3899 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

I was never able to get my NVRAM installed properly and had similar issues so im following this also

Been my experience that DE pins are very easy to install NVRAM. The only problem I had with one was a Time Machine that required me to leave the batteries in during the swap and was fine after that. once the setting were set I removed the batteries and all was good.

#3900 3 years ago

One of the caps has a standard top on it and it has a tighter feel. Maybe I'll swap them out and see how it is....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/78?hl=djy2j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.