(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 95.
#3651 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Marco seems to have stock

Well I'll be danged. This is the listing I found. It says they're $70 and sold out!

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5177-01

Thank you!

#3652 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Well I'll be danged. This is the listing I found. It says they're $70 and sold out!
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5177-01
Thank you!

That listing is for the entire flipper assembly, not just the base plate.

#3653 3 years ago

Just got my Star Wars on Sunday. Very nice very clean. I'm still going to shop it out, wax it replace bands and so on. Need to replace a couple flashers to LED. My question is: I see that I have 3-4 clear plastic posts, should they all be Metal Standoffs?

Thank You In Advance,
Pete

#3654 3 years ago
Quoted from robertg130:

Hi guys I’m looking the location of this plastic?
Thanks
[quoted image]

Actually it does get used, mine is under "the force" plastic with spacers to elevate the force plastic from the scoop. I also have foam under the plastic to protect it. sorry I don't have a better pic

20200820_162246 (resized).jpg20200820_162246 (resized).jpg
#3655 3 years ago

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that jabba laughs after he says "pinball". he doesn't do that on my machine. What do I need to fix?

#3656 3 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that jabba laughs after he says "pinball". he doesn't do that on my machine. What do I need to fix?

What game and sound roms do you have running ?

#3657 3 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

Yeah my brothers original ROM does that when you hit the start with no credits. Once he swapped out the soundboard with Pinsound it went away. Would be real nice to get that sound clip online so I can add it back

#3658 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

To clarify... some of the different varieties of light shows played at various game play moments will have to be sacrificed to make space for Speeder Mode. But whenever a playfield light show plays in the game during those moments, one will still play... but it would have to be one of the remaining 6-8 light shows.

Yes. That will be addressed also for sure! Back when I made the code mod for Star Wars, I didn't understand how that worked but I've since learned so much more from working on the other Data East games.
In fact, let me know if there's any additional tweaks you guys would like to see from v.1.07.

Checkin in on the v.1.08

As mentioned, would like to see a freeze triggered by the lane switches in addition to the Outhole switch triggering

#3659 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah my brothers original ROM does that when you hit the start with no credits. Once he swapped out the soundboard with Pinsound it went away. Would be real nice to get that sound clip online so I can add it back

There’s a sound clip on this page https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/Star-Wars-Pinball/Jabba-the-Hutt/

#3661 3 years ago

Hi guys, I'm a proud new owner of a Data East Star Wars Pin! It's my first machine and I've had it about a month. I've been going through it and modding a few things during that time. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and collector so my wife rented this machine for fathers day. She figured if she rented a pinball machine it would go back and she wouldn't have another Star Wars item in the house. Oops. Since I've had it I've cleaned and waxed the playfield, replaced the rubbers, rebuilt and modded the pop bumpers to the Williams Bally style, put in new stand up targets, added the side blades, and replaced the generic flippers with Data East among other things. It came with pinsound and an xpin power board and I added an led ocd board as well as a rottendog mpu. I'm working on getting the Pinball hu hu hu added back in.

IMG-6264.jpgIMG-6264.jpgIMG-6258.jpgIMG-6258.jpg
#3662 3 years ago

Get a ColorDMD!

#3663 3 years ago

A colorDMD is definitely on the agenda, as well as some HD glass.

#3664 3 years ago

You could get the Chad H. rom upgrade and get the sound roms at the same time. That might fix your problem and make the game better at the same time.

#3665 3 years ago

I’ve got the 1.07 rom. Is there another rom I’d need to get Jabba laughing back? The pin we rented had the laugh but it was 1.04 and didn’t have pinsound. I figured losing it had something to do with the pinsound.

#3666 3 years ago

Oh, if you have pinsound - get the shaker. I did the programming for SWDE and it REALLY enhances the gameplay.

#3667 3 years ago

1.07 is Chad's latest so you're good there.

Sound ROMs are irrelevant if you've got a PinSound. I love my pinsound, and have the pinsound shaker, which is great as well. Haven't had a chance to see if that sound is in the original orchestration. I'll pull the glass in a bit and make the required shots.

DEFINITELY get a ColorDMD! I'd go with the LED version, I had to do a bit of work to fit the LCD version in mine.

Where'd you get the sideblades from?

#3668 3 years ago

I got the side blades from ministryofpinball.com. They’re the only ones I found that really matched the art and theme.

AD28B4E8-A8C5-45F8-86E8-F7115F61F384.jpegAD28B4E8-A8C5-45F8-86E8-F7115F61F384.jpegF753C8F4-EB0D-4950-89E3-26C5A78F7D77.jpegF753C8F4-EB0D-4950-89E3-26C5A78F7D77.jpeg
#3669 3 years ago

... double post

#3670 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I got the side blades from ministryofpinball.com. They’re the only ones I found that really matched the art and theme.

Any issues with shipping? How long did it take?

My PinSound seems to only have the “pinball” sound without the laugh. It laughed with the original sound card so I’m assuming that sound didn’t get pulled from the ROM correctly. I’ll dig through the files more to see if it’s somewhere else but I assume it’s a simple swap.

#3671 3 years ago

Seems like shipping took two or three weeks. I ordered them as soon as I decided to buy the pin but before I picked it up. I later ordered the clear plastic that goes behind Jabba’s bounty and it only took a week.

#3672 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I have those same blades, just haven't gotten around to installing them. They look good!

#3673 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

Seems like shipping took two or three weeks.

Same here...

#3674 3 years ago

Ordered the sideblades. Lets hope I can install them and not scratch them up!!!

#3675 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Ordered the sideblades. Lets home I can install them and not scratch them up

I just ordered a set as well! lol.

Water/soap method works great when installing. Another set of hands makes install easy.

#3676 3 years ago

Anyone make the brite-caps work with DESW? I can’t remember if they don’t work with the deeper top.

#3677 3 years ago

I don’t imagine you’d have a problem with the BriteCaps Classics. You may have issues with the BriteCaps Evo’s without doing a Williams/Bally style bumper mod. That’s what I did on mine and I love how it turned out. The Evo’s add about 5mm which helps bring the Williams/Bally lenses back up to the appropriate height. No lense rattle and the BriteCaps look awesome.I have the center lamps on them set to be reactive.

2C18D58F-03FF-465B-AE4F-2B89B8332892.jpeg2C18D58F-03FF-465B-AE4F-2B89B8332892.jpegAA61AE79-A237-4C8E-AB91-75ACEA678418 (resized).jpegAA61AE79-A237-4C8E-AB91-75ACEA678418 (resized).jpeg
#3678 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I don’t imagine you’d have a problem with the BriteCaps Classics. You may have issues with the BriteCaps Evo’s without doing a Williams/Bally style bumper mod. That’s what I did on mine and I love how it turned out. The Evo’s add about 5mm which helps bring the Williams/Bally lenses back up to the appropriate height. No lense rattle and the BriteCaps look awesome.I have the center lamps on them set to be reactive.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes! That’s what I want. Those are the ones without the wires, correct? I have a set with the wire but the pop action always breaks the solder eventually. Those look great. Can you tell me how to do that mod?

#3679 3 years ago

Yes they're wire free.

The DE bumper cap is attached directly to the ring and rod assembly by 2 hex spacers. You remove the hex spacers and replace them with a couple 6-32 nylock nuts. The new williams/bally caps screw into the bumper body witch already has the holes to mount them and the BriteCaps Evo's come with the correct length screws to attach them. I save a little money on the caps by buying them as a set for the game RADICAL on marco. It'll be much easier if you unbolt the rods from the metal yoke on the underside of the assembly and remove the rods and ring from the game. If you want to change your bumper body or skirt you'll have to do some soldering in some tight spaces underneath as you have to remove the light socket from inside the bumper body.

bumper (resized).jpgbumper (resized).jpg
#3680 3 years ago

I recorded the Pinball Hu Hu Hu off the website above and made it into a WAV file for PinSound

It goes here 3720640276-pinball which is in the Voice folder

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X06_xd4D41ThrhDC2ciynuCYr0B_INxg/view?usp=sharing

#3681 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

Yes they're wire free.
The DE bumper cap is attached directly to the ring and rod assembly by 2 hex spacers. You remove the hex spacers and replace them with a couple 6-32 nylock nuts. The new williams/bally caps screw into the bumper body witch already has the holes to mount them and the BriteCaps Evo's come with the correct length screws to attach them. I save a little money on the caps by buying them as a set for the game RADICAL on marco. It'll be much easier if you unbolt the rods from the metal yoke on the underside of the assembly and remove the rods and ring from the game. If you want to change your bumper body or skirt you'll have to do some soldering in some tight spaces underneath as you have to remove the light socket from inside the bumper body.
[quoted image]

Fantastic write up! Thanks!

#3682 3 years ago

Reviving a Star Wars pin, have an issue with the drop targets.
They do not reset during game play. They do reset in diagnostics.
They do respond in the switch test, but only as momentary switches.

When during game play will they reset normally?

Powering the game off and on then hitting start also does not reset them.

SOLVED!
The drop target bracket was not assembled correctly, switches acted as momentary like other targets, these must stay on
once hit until they are reset. A new game should not start with a target down. Hitting all 3 targets causes them to reset immediately.

#3683 3 years ago

The drop targets reset as soon as the last one is hit.

#3684 3 years ago

I burned new cpu code v1.07. and installed it. (was 1.03)
The game seems to run fine with it, however, when first powered up, it plays "May the force" and stops there. and continues the boot up.
Is this normal for this version of software?
After it's up and running all sounds play fully.

#3685 3 years ago

Yeah I think I remember that. It’s almost like the sound is clipped.

Better question though why the H don’t you have a Pinsound? Man that’s the other missing item

#3686 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah I think I remember that. It’s almost like the sound is clipped.
Better question though why the H don’t you have a Pinsound? Man that’s the other missing item

10/10. Must get pinsound.

#3687 3 years ago
Quoted from sjt1803:

I burned new cpu code v1.07. and installed it. (was 1.03)
The game seems to run fine with it, however, when first powered up, it plays "May the force" and stops there. and continues the boot up.
Is this normal for this version of software?
After it's up and running all sounds play fully.

That’s just the sound card booting. Don’t worry unless it starts doing it during the game.

Although I do recommend PinSound as well

#3688 3 years ago

And get the shaker kit while you‘re at it!

#3689 3 years ago

Anyone change out an original Clean Cherry DMD (no burn in) for Color willing to sell it?
Pm me

Steve

FOUND

#3690 3 years ago
Quoted from sjt1803:

Anyone change out an original Clean Cherry DMD (no burn in) for Color willing to sell it?
Pm me

I have one for Tommy listed in the Pinside marketplace. I ‘think’ it is the same as DESW, if so, let me know

#3691 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

Yes they're wire free.
[quoted image]

I just realized that the pops probably will not go up and down (like they currently do) if I do this mod? Am i correct there? My friend I’m doing the repair for is a little particular. That may disappoint him.

#3692 3 years ago

Yes, the caps will no longer move, but they no longer rattle and crack either. The desire for it to be more correct is certainly understandable though. I do car restoration and I’m very anal about factory original. I guess you could do this mod but keep the original caps. They still wouldn’t move but it would look closer to being correct.

1 week later
#3693 3 years ago

My Artoo is doing a half hearted little bounce every few seconds. I'm also getting some random "help me obiwan kenobi" dialogs when there shouldn't be. Any Idea where I should start troubleshooting?

#3694 3 years ago

Go to switch test and see if you have a stuck switch somewhere.

#3695 3 years ago

DMD quit working:
My Star Wars was working great and the other day I turned it on and the DMD was dead. The game plays normally (all the lights are on, everything works as expected). I borrowed a DMD from a friend and installed it....nothing. I checked all the fuses.

Any thoughts? Appreciate the help. I plan to purchase a color DMD, but thought I should get it back to baseline before I convert.

#3696 3 years ago

Check the voltages at the connector on the display.
Also, try wiggle the two pin connector on the display driver. Those commonly need to be fixed

#3697 3 years ago

I recently bought some warm frosted LEDS to be used in the SW backbox, besides a couple of other pins.
I had no trouble putting them in Williams pins but the Data East Star Wars backbox sockets are very tight.
555 Bullbs snap in tight, but the LEDS I got would not go into the sockets.
Anyone else had this issue
I measured the LED end thickness and they are about twice as thick as the glass bulbs, which explains the problem.
Are there LEDS out there that the base mimics the bulbs end contact area thickness?

#3698 3 years ago

For sale.....

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Partially shopped/refurbished - “Nice, original example & fully working Star Wars DE pinball machine!! Dave has owned it for several years. Comes with Original topper and Manual. NO trades - cash only transa...”
2020-10-17
Saukville, WI
4,200 (OBO)
Archived after: 17 days
Viewed: 403 times
Contributed to Pinside

#3699 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

To clarify... some of the different varieties of light shows played at various game play moments will have to be sacrificed to make space for Speeder Mode. But whenever a playfield light show plays in the game during those moments, one will still play... but it would have to be one of the remaining 6-8 light shows.

Yes. That will be addressed also for sure! Back when I made the code mod for Star Wars, I didn't understand how that worked but I've since learned so much more from working on the other Data East games.
In fact, let me know if there's any additional tweaks you guys would like to see from v.1.07.

Any progress with the speeder mode or any other items for code update?

#3700 3 years ago

Chad! Chad! Chad!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/74?hl=stlokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.