(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,740 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by jgadzia
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 95.
#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Nah, I'll collect the missing parts , probably take awhile

You’ll never find the R2. Ive never seen one come up for sale, so you’ll be building that out from scratch as well

#3452 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You’ll never find the R2. Ive never seen one come up for sale, so you’ll be building that out from scratch as well3D Print...

#3453 4 years ago

I saw you got a SW today, congrats!

If I could find a broken one I could rebuild it

I don't expect this to be quick

But i do think someone out there has a trashed SW , last time I collected these parts(10 yrs ago prior to the arson fire) I bought most of them from a guy in Greece, the rest from a pinsider/klover named SealClubber

#3454 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Does anyone have any spare plastics? I need a few, but not quite enough to buy a whole set.

I bought a set a year ago and used a few like the slingshots, boba fett, and maybe one or 2 others. I have them laying around here somewhere. Which ones do you need?

#3455 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

I bought a set a year ago and used a few like the slingshots, boba fett, and maybe one or 2 others. I have them laying around here somewhere. Which ones do you need?

Boba Fett and the plastic below Jabba's bounty (the one above two xwing targets)

#3456 4 years ago

Whoops... where does this go?

15861327167481244293820320460312 (resized).jpg15861327167481244293820320460312 (resized).jpg
#3457 4 years ago

Behind Jabba

IMG_20200405_204957 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_204957 (resized).jpg
#3458 4 years ago

Good eye! It's odd because I wasn't working on that side.... Must be from a previous owner

#3459 4 years ago

Can anybody confirm where the posts that hold up the marquee over the ramp goes? O bought this from a gentleman who had it "professionally gone over" by TNT....smh..

20200406_152535 (resized).jpg20200406_152535 (resized).jpg20200406_152552 (resized).jpg20200406_152552 (resized).jpg
#3460 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

Can anybody confirm where the posts that hold up the marquee over the ramp goes? O bought this from a gentleman who had it "professionally gone over" by TNT....smh..[quoted image][quoted image]

Yours doesn't look that different than mine.

15862048496993764244144984216732 (resized).jpg15862048496993764244144984216732 (resized).jpg
#3461 4 years ago

It looks like yours is actually attached to a post. On the left side mine's held on with a zip tie....

#3462 4 years ago

Ran into another issue. The music cuts out when you start the game and obiwan keeps stuttering may the Force be with you. I just replaced the PS with a rottendog one today and the ribbon cable for the dmd (though in guessing the ribbon has nothing to do with it). I also noticed that on the mpu board the row of resistors on the left are burning hot to the touch.

20200406_181228 (resized).jpg20200406_181228 (resized).jpg
#3463 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

the row of resistors on the left are burning hot to the touch.[quoted image]

Yep, all data east game are burning hot. No issue from those resistors.

#3464 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

Can anybody confirm where the posts that hold up the marquee over the ramp goes? O bought this from a gentleman who had it "professionally gone over" by TNT....smh..[quoted image][quoted image]

Such a bad design. Metal -> plastic -> metal

I have an added protector that gives it more strength.
2E52AEB9-B22A-40C5-9607-BFBB326BA37C (resized).jpeg2E52AEB9-B22A-40C5-9607-BFBB326BA37C (resized).jpeg

#3465 4 years ago

SWDE is my second game. Owner for 8 years. All other games are in top notch shape. Time to get this one there. Going to start with a playfield swap (I think). I found a replacement that’s very nice but not unused. Anyone know of a new/unused PF that I could get me grubby paws on? Also, any advice thrown my way for this project would be much appreciated.

#3466 4 years ago

I have a pinsound + shaker in my SWDE, really adds to the gameplay!

#3467 4 years ago

Now that Chad finished star trek, I wonder if he will have a chance to look at the speeder mode.

#3468 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Now that Chad finished star trek, I wonder if he will have a chance to look at the speeder mode.What the deal with the speeder? What Rom update you have?

#3469 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

Ran into another issue. The music cuts out when you start the game and obiwan keeps stuttering may the Force be with you. I just replaced the PS with a rottendog one today and the ribbon cable for the dmd (though in guessing the ribbon has nothing to do with it). I also noticed that on the mpu board the row of resistors on the left are burning hot to the touch.[quoted image]

replace the capacitors on the sound board.

#3470 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Now that Chad finished star trek, I wonder if he will have a chance to look at the speeder mode.

I am looking.

The major hurdle I have to try to overcome is that I need more free space to fit the Speeder Mode code. And I need a lot. Like close to 1 kilobyte. Considering the entire space available for game code is 48 kilobytes... this means 1 kilobyte is relatively a lot.

Bottom line is I have to rip something out in order to be able to add Speeder Mode.

I've been analyzing the code and I see a lot of space is taken by all the Playfield Light Show routines/data.

I >may< have to rip out some Playfield Light Shows to be able to make room for Speeder Mode.

There are 16 Playfield Light Shows in the code. The good news is that two of them are completely unused so really only 14 are in game... and then there are a couple light shows that are only ever played during Attract Mode. And there are two separate light shows that are almost identical which is a waste of space. So possibly I can start with yanking those and using their space for Speeder Mode. But I think I need to dig deeper and remove even more of them.

Would you guys be OK if the amount of different Playfield Light Shows was reduced in order to be able to add full Speeder Mode? The game would still play the Playfield Light Shows as it does today, it would just not have as many different ones. Meaning... instead of the game overall having a variety of 14 light shows, it would instead have a variety of maybe 6 to 8.

#3471 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am looking.
The major hurdle I have to try to overcome is that I need more free space to fit the Speeder Mode code. And I need a lot. Like close to 1 kilobyte. Considering the entire space available for game code is 48 kilobytes... this means 1 kilobyte is relatively a lot.
Bottom line is I have to rip something out in order to be able to add Speeder Mode.
I've been analyzing the code and I see a lot of space is taken by all the Playfield Light Show routines/data.
I >may< have to rip out some Playfield Light Shows to be able to make room for Speeder Mode.
There are 16 Playfield Light Shows in the code. The good news is that two of them are completely unused so really only 14 are in game... and then there are a couple light shows that are only ever played during Attract Mode. And there are two separate light shows that are almost identical which is a waste of space. So possibly I can start with yanking those and using their space for Speeder Mode. But I think I need to dig deeper and remove even more of them.
Would you guys be OK if the amount of different Playfield Light Shows was reduced in order to be able to add full Speeder Mode? The game would still play the Playfield Light Shows as it does today, it would just not have as many different ones. Meaning... instead of the game overall having a variety of 14 light shows, it would instead have a variety of maybe 6 to 8.

I, for one, don't think it's a big deal to lose some of the light shows.

#3472 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Would you guys be OK if the amount of different Playfield Light Shows was reduced in order to be able to add full Speeder Mode?

Don't be silly, get to work

#3473 4 years ago

I would be ok losing some light shows for full speeder mode.

#3474 4 years ago

14 light shows?? Go figure I never noticed so I say for for it!! I am also willing to sacrifice the horribalr strobing while trying to make the tri-ball shot. I hate that effect

#3475 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am looking.
The major hurdle I have to try to overcome is that I need more free space to fit the Speeder Mode code.

I'd love to have a reason to use the handle, not just the button! As long as you're only taking out attract mode lighting I am ALL for it.

Then maybe you could do a few things to LW3....

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I'd love to have a reason to use the handle, not just the button!

You have to have the OEM "T" handle in order to have anything make sense.

#3477 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I'd love to have a reason to use the handle, not just the button! As long as you're only taking out attract mode lighting I am ALL for it.

To clarify... some of the different varieties of light shows played at various game play moments will have to be sacrificed to make space for Speeder Mode. But whenever a playfield light show plays in the game during those moments, one will still play... but it would have to be one of the remaining 6-8 light shows.

Quoted from jesperpark:

I am also willing to sacrifice the horribalr strobing while trying to make the tri-ball shot. I hate that effect

Yes. That will be addressed also for sure! Back when I made the code mod for Star Wars, I didn't understand how that worked but I've since learned so much more from working on the other Data East games.

In fact, let me know if there's any additional tweaks you guys would like to see from v.1.07.

#3478 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I'd love to have a reason to use the handle, not just the button!

I don't know about anyone else but we use that handle every time we get the tri-ball. We coordinate throwing the handle in sync with the animation on the DMD.

We're silly like that.

-Paul

#3479 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

I don't know about anyone else but we use that handle every time we get the tri-ball. We coordinate throwing the handle in sync with the animation on the DMD.
We're silly like that.
-Paul

Red Lion. Hell I grew up in Delta! Small World.

#3480 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am looking.

Anything else that could be ditched to free up space?

The coming soon rocky and bullwinkle stuff etc?

question, what sets the limitation in size? Can larger rom's be used?

#3481 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

let me know if there's any additional tweaks you guys would like to see from v.1.07.

Can you lower the default high scores so I don't feel l like I suck so much at this game

Thanks for you continuous work on this code ChadH

#3482 4 years ago

I’m so excited about the prospect of speeder mode! ChadH is a true American hero!

#3483 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Anything else that could be ditched to free up space?
The coming soon rocky and bullwinkle stuff etc?

The display code routines does have some junk bytes leftover here and there.
The code could be tightened up...
The code for GnR was stripped and simplified...
So the same thing could be done with Star Wars.

#3484 4 years ago

Things to consider when updating code: (JUST MY 2 CENTS)

Attract screens: Things to remove or fix
-Rocky and Bullwinkle screens
-"value screen" where it talks about 3 plays for a dollar
-Don't drink and drive screen (I find the "winners don't use drugs" screen comical so if it doesn't take much room i'd say leave it but wouldn't be mad about removing either)
-BSMNT 2000 screen talking about the "high power" audio
-I've always hated the "main theme", "shooter theme", and "attract mode" sound file during attract mode. Would rather be the star wars or the star wars win theme file

Gameplay:
-seizure inducing strobe flash when death star door is lowered.
-I don't get the storm trooper shootout mode. Seems like a distraction more than it adds to gameplay. I wouldn't miss it.
-When trying to shoot enemy ship and it wants you to use force because the ship is not visible (during extra ball), I feel like it doesn't play the "Use the force Luke" at the proper time to explain why there is no visible ship but only the SFx. I guess I'd want more sound effects or audio during that time like "use the force luke echo" "luke" "concentrate." Just think it would make that part of gameplay better. It feels super clunky

Other:

-Lowering the default high scores. My game is usually routed. Players like to see their name on the high scores even if the score is low. It's a pain in the ass to go in and lower each one like I have done in the past. This only happens when I have to reset the game usually for a repair.

Underutilized SFX: (labeled as they are in the zip download file)
There is a great disturbance in the force
This is some rescue
wait for me
evacuate in our moment of triumph
don't underestimate the force
blaster shot (any of the 3 files)
laser saber
cantina 2
i thought it s so bad on the outside (talking about the Tauntan)

If there is anyway to insert those into the game more that'd be cool.

Just all suggestions. I appreciate the time you take to work on and improve code. I'll buy an update ROM chip with it from you once it's done.

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

-Lowering the default high scores. My game is usually routed. Players like to see their name on the high scores even if the score is low. It's a pain in the ass to go in and lower each one like I have done in the past. This only happens when I have to reset the game usually for a repair.

Doesn't the game have adjustments to set high score and to set
when the high score gets reset?
every xx games.

#3486 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Doesn't the game have adjustments to set high score and to set
when the high score gets reset?
every xx games.

Yes and I have the reset turned off. the default high scores are really high. I find it that casual players play longer if they feel like they can get their name on the board. Manually lowering each one after a reset is a pain and time consuming. Doesn't happen often but i had some NVRAM repairs recently and I found myself doing it 3 separate times.

#3487 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Yes and I have the reset turned off. the default high scores are really high. I find it that casual players play longer if they feel like they can get their name on the board. Manually lowering each one after a reset is a pain and time consuming. Doesn't happen often but i had some NVRAM repairs recently and I found myself doing it 3 separate times.

Original game had default High Scores of 400M, 350M, 300M, 250M, 200M, 150M.

My update changed that to 350M, 300M, 250M, 200M, 150M, 100M (and also changed a bunch of scoring).

Assuming no major scoring changes in possible next update, what would you guys like for new Default High Scores?

Just shift everything down by 50M such as... 300M, 250M, 200M, 150M, 100M, 50M?

Or maybe change it to something more condensed like 200M, 175M, 150M, 125M, 100M, 75M?

#3488 4 years ago

Yeah. down 50 would be fine

#3489 4 years ago

I kinda like the next game promotion, but wouldn't be a deal breaker if it had to go

#3490 4 years ago

I like the strobing when the Death Star door goes down. Couldn’t you put a filter over your flashers or something?

I love stormtrooper shootout mode (it tries to get you to take your hand off the flipper. Distraction is what it IS). I’d hate to have features I like taken out for one I think I’ll like, but chadH can do no wrong.

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You have to have the OEM "T" handle in order to have anything make sense.

I just leave it down all the time. If I feel like opening the death star early I just push the button. Does it do anything when it's up?

#3492 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Does it do anything when it's up?

OEM "T" handle does. But the program is removed.

#3493 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

OEM "T" handle does. But the program is removed.

Don't we all have the OEM "T" handle? I know I do. I assume most everyone else does too?

Quoted from paynemic:

I’d hate to have features I like taken out for one I think I’ll like, but chadH can do no wrong.

I won't be taking out any game play features. I think I can do this with only removing some Light Show variety. If it came to being forced to take out game play features then I'd abort mission.

#3494 4 years ago

A small one, but when I power the game on all I get is "may the force" and then it cuts out. Anybody else get this?

#3495 4 years ago

My death star opens as expected but doesn't open the second time no matter how often you hit the target. Sound registers when you hit it. Only opens when time runs out?

Any ideas what's going on? Recent issue only.

Thanks everyone

#3496 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Don't we all have the OEM "T" handle?

All main production Data East Star Wars "T" handle assemblies are
a stripped down version of the one that is used for the sample game.
That's why people just leave the handle assembly in one position up or down.
The handle is completely useless as it stands now.
I would add a spring that would keep the handle in an up position...
That way it would make sense to "push down and fire".
or if you have the money have the OEM manufacture make
the OEM "T"handle....
Once Data East scoured all the video modes out of the game,
they where able to cut costs even more by putting in the less
expensive "T" handle assembly that is used in all productions.

#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

A small one, but when I power the game on all I get is "may the force" and then it cuts out. Anybody else get this?

Yes, I think I noticed the change when upgrading roms but could be a coincidence and something else could be the issue. I’d like to fix it also

#3498 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Yes, I think I noticed the change when upgrading roms but could be a coincidence and something else could be the issue. I’d like to fix it also

That is the snd board getting the reset signal...
All three boards have different reset timings...
You would have to stall the cpu reset initiation in order to here the
snd board reset complete its Q call.

#3499 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Totally normal

#3500 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Original game had default High Scores of 400M, 350M, 300M, 250M, 200M, 150M.
My update changed that to 350M, 300M, 250M, 200M, 150M, 100M (and also changed a bunch of scoring).
Assuming no major scoring changes in possible next update, what would you guys like for new Default High Scores?
Just shift everything down by 50M such as... 300M, 250M, 200M, 150M, 100M, 50M?
Or maybe change it to something more condensed like 200M, 175M, 150M, 125M, 100M, 75M?

I would say maybe a blend of both, 50M seems to low for a high score, maybe start at 75M. 250 to 300m for a GC works for me

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/70?hl=djy2j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.