(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 95.
#3401 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Need to act fast as he was selling the machine to someone and then it will probably be lost/gone.

Good eye. Anybody want to contact him? I doubt he will be willing to remove the ROM but maybe his buyer might?

#3402 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Good eye. Anybody want to contact him? I doubt he will be willing to remove the ROM but maybe his buyer might?

I just sent him a PM!

#3403 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Should see if there is a us based pinsider localish that could make the trip and help out?

I’m worried this is the one chance we get (New owner could upgrade and might not realise what they have) and it will be gone because someone couldn’t be bothered. Would gladly help out if needed to pay for some fuel/time for a road trip.

#3404 4 years ago

I just sent him a message too just asking him to consider helping. We'll see how it goes.

#3405 4 years ago

I worry that it is the same old program...
The game has to have three different changes
in order to be a prototype...
1) The display ROM has to be different.
2) The CPU game software ROM has to be different.
3) The cabinet "T" control has to be different.
and in addition, but not as important,
4) The card tray has to have the prototype decals.

#3406 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Guy on Facebook claims to have one with the speeder code!
“Good afternoon... I happen to have a Star Wars Data East in perfect working order and condition. It is a prototype as it has the speeder bike video mode not on the production model. It is about 3/4 LEDd. Some lights could not get to and did not want to disassemble. Happy to send videos.”- https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.delong.3
Need to act fast as he was selling the machine to someone and then it will probably be lost/gone.

Do you have the exact link to the pin? If reasonably priced I’d buy it straight up just for the chip if necessary. Would like to see proof of course.

I see his profile but not the pin

#3407 4 years ago

NM, I found it. He tagged on a wanted ad. I sent him a message as well for proof. If it’s legit, I’ll straight up buy it for the chip as long as it’s reasonable. The machine can be resold later as a nice prototype

#3408 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

NM, I found it. He tagged on a wanted ad. I sent him a message as well for proof. If it’s legit, I’ll straight up buy it for the chip as long as it’s reasonable. The machine can be resold later as a nice prototype

or keep it and sell your standard production one ;p

#3409 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yeah I have serious doubts, but he agreed to send me proof. So we’ll see. I hope I’m wrong, it will be the Star Wats Holy Grail if it’s true

#3410 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

He's claiming it shows the speeder mode.

So i'm not disagreeing that it may not be a 100% pure (to your definition of how the prototypes differed from production) rather but might be good enough for ChadH's investigation of possibly "adding the mode back in".

#3411 4 years ago

Yeah “Speeder Mode” is a bad sign. I believe it should show “Video Mode”

But I’ll know if it’s working. More importantly what ROM version is displayed

#3412 4 years ago

The guy is stalling, so I'm having some serious doubts. I pinged him again, but I'm pretty sure its going to be code and speeder we've already seen

#3413 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

The guy is stalling, so I'm having some serious doubts. I pinged him again, but I'm pretty sure its going to be code and speeder we've already seen

He never replied to my messages sent via Facebook either.

#3414 4 years ago

Hopefully I'm wrong. But if I had the prototype as he advertising, it would be a huge selling point to have some pictures (and videos) proving it other than the very distant pic he posted.

Will stay on him though until I know for sure

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Hopefully I'm wrong. But if I had the prototype as he advertising, it would be a huge selling point to have some pictures (and videos) proving it other than the very distant pic he posted.
Will stay on him though until I know for sure

He may think speeder mode that doesn’t work means it’s the early rom.

Who knows. A video would be nice or a picture of the rom or any other marking that would maybe indicate prototype.

#3416 4 years ago

Ok, so he has the 1.03 ROM which is unlikely going to have Video Mode working. He says he’s gonna post a video but this isn’t gonna pan out. Well, at least we’re on the lookout

356E0FE4-08F9-4B67-A4DC-73872BC9461A (resized).png356E0FE4-08F9-4B67-A4DC-73872BC9461A (resized).png
#3417 4 years ago

taking waaay too long, probably a fake.....

1 week later
#3418 4 years ago

Hello, having a first time issue with my Star Wars. Keeps saying 1 ball missing when all balls present. Will not start a game and all coils kick a ball out when I drop one in.

My first guess is that it’s a switch issue in the trough that’s failing to acknowledge but I’m not an expert and haven’t had the issue in any other machines.

If so, if you could tell me the kind of switch I can order it from Marcos but I’m a beginner when it comes to knowing about switches.

Thanks!

#3419 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Hello, having a first time issue with my Star Wars. Keeps saying 1 ball missing when all balls present. Will not start a game and all coils kick a ball out when I drop one in.
My first guess is that it’s a switch issue in the trough that’s failing to acknowledge but I’m not an expert and haven’t had the issue in any other machines.
If so, if you could tell me the kind of switch I can order it from Marcos but I’m a beginner when it comes to knowing about switches.
Thanks!

Look at your trough switches. Could easily be a broken wire. You can run through the diagnostics and check the active switches. It will show you which one is not registering. Or you can take the balls out and put it in switch test and manually trigger each trough switch and find out which one is not working.

#3420 4 years ago

Hey all,

I am getting some crazy air balls, coming off the angled X wing targets in the center of the playfield. I bought new foam for behind the switches, unfortunately that did not help. Ball can easily end up in the shooter lane after hitting the targets, just wondering if there has been any good fixes for this problem.

Thanks,

#3421 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Hey all,
I am getting some crazy air balls, coming off the angled X wing targets in the center of the playfield. I bought new foam for behind the switches, unfortunately that did not help. Ball can easily end up in the shooter lane after hitting the targets, just wondering if there has been any good fixes for this problem.
Thanks,

You should also have foam below the plastic over the scoop

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You should also have foam below the plastic over the scoop

Yes, I have foam below that plastic as well, its about 1" thick. I was looking at it wondering if that upper plastic should be lowered down, mine has a second plastic piece below one with the foam on it.

#3423 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Hey all,
Thanks,

What targets do you have there? I replaced the targets on mine and got the wrong ones, they would bend after a number of plays and start giving air balls.

#3424 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

What targets do you have there? I replaced the targets on mine and got the wrong ones, they would bend after a number of plays and start giving air balls.

I know they are not stock, but I think they would be almost the same?

20190609_183617 (resized).jpg20190609_183617 (resized).jpg
#3425 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

I know they are not stock, but I think they would be almost the same?[quoted image]

How is you foam behind the Targets? I can see you have some but it looks a little worn. You might try evening out the right one with the left to have a down angle, but other than this I think the only thing you can do is have good backing foam

#3426 4 years ago

I ordered and put new foam on already, did not help. Although the foam I bought seems quite dense, but was sold for this application, almost seems to add to the bouncing. I will see what can be done this weekend with angling the targets down

#3427 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

I ordered and put new foam on already, did not help. Although the foam I bought seems quite dense, but was sold for this application, almost seems to add to the bouncing. I will see what can be done this weekend with angling the targets down

I get alot of airballs to. Just got some new glass and you can see scratches already from the ball. I think it is just the design of the game.

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

How is you foam behind the Targets? I can see you have some but it looks a little worn. You might try evening out the right one with the left to have a down angle, but other than this I think the only thing you can do is have good backing foam

Make sure the big support that the foam attaches to is not bent back. If it is, it’s allowing the target to flex more and become a jump ramp.

#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

I get alot of airballs to. Just got some new glass and you can see scratches already from the ball. I think it is just the design of the game.

I get airballs from the posts either side of the Death Star lane - especially the right hand one. Strange ...the post is fine - solid, vertical. Occasionally it can end up back in the shooter lane

#3430 4 years ago

On my brothers pin, there are a few air balls but not anything more than any other 90’s pin. If you are having excessive air balls, then something’s off

I have seen the Airball into the shooter lane, but not common

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

On my brothers pin, there are a few air balls but not anything more than any other 90’s pin. If you are having excessive air balls, then something’s off
I have seen the Airball into the shooter lane, but not common

You don't play enough!

#3432 4 years ago

Having issues with my flashers not working and back box lights being dimmed at times. I can jiggle the wires and the lights either work fully or turn off. I was advised to change the connector and repin the wires.

The picture shown is that of the correct/old connector. I took that then cut the wires. What I didn’t realize Until after cutting is that some of the wires are the same color.

I traced everything back the best I could and repinned and reconnected but now the top half of the back box lights are off and none of the flashers are still working. I believe I have 2 wrongly placed pins.

What I am asking is if anyone familiar with the order and knows which pin controls those 2 issues?

In case it’s unclear that is the connection at the bottom left inside the back box.

929D2F51-5B45-49EA-AED5-4C45EF609B43 (resized).jpeg929D2F51-5B45-49EA-AED5-4C45EF609B43 (resized).jpeg
#3433 4 years ago

That connector is GI only and has nothing to do with the flashers.

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Having issues with my flashers not working and back box lights being dimmed at times. I can jiggle the wires and the lights either work fully or turn off. I was advised to change the connector and repin the wires.
The picture shown is that of the correct/old connector. I took that then cut the wires. What I didn’t realize Until after cutting is that some of the wires are the same color.
I traced everything back the best I could and repinned and reconnected but now the top half of the back box lights are off and none of the flashers are still working. I believe I have 2 wrongly placed pins.
What I am asking is if anyone familiar with the order and knows which pin controls those 2 issues?
In case it’s unclear that is the connection at the bottom left inside the back box.[quoted image]

If you only did the connector you could still have issues with the header pins. Remove the board and reflow solder at the pins, or replace.
Worth checking the fuse clips also - common fail point on these DE.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Schematic_Diagrams_English_Manual_pages_46_69.pdf

GI (resized).JPGGI (resized).JPGflashers (resized).JPGflashers (resized).JPG
#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

If you only did the connector you could still have issues with the header pins. Remove the board and reflow solder at the pins, or replace.
Worth checking the fuse clips also - common fail point on these DE.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Schematic_Diagrams_English_Manual_pages_46_69.pdf[quoted image][quoted image]

So J5 is the one I am repinning. I apologize if I misspoke

#3436 4 years ago

The fuse clip shown at f4 is bad check them all. Bad headers and pins are also bad problems with data-east games check solder the joints on back side.

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Hey all,
Thanks,

I'm just following up to this post, I straightened the thick metal post at the back, as well as adjusted the foam in behind the switches. Air balls are not eliminated, but greatly reduced.

Thanks, for all the suggestions everyone

#3438 4 years ago

Just got a copy of the main metal ramp for Star Wars Data East. Thinking hard about remaking the stainless steel ramp. Anyone interested in that ?

Kerry - Mantis

#3439 4 years ago
Quoted from kstairmantis:

Just got a copy of the main metal ramp for Star Wars Data East. Thinking hard about remaking the stainless steel ramp. Anyone interested in that ?
Kerry - Mantis

Possibly, depends on price and quality

#3440 4 years ago

Kerry - Mantis

Here!

#3441 4 years ago

New metal ramps would sell very well. I'd take one.

#3442 4 years ago

Also, another queston, I am having trouble finding a replacement part, maybe because i don't know the exact name. Underneath the cabinet is the on off switch. It is connected inside to a small grey box. This small gray box is inside the metal box where the volume knob is. The small gray box has (I think) 4 power wires connected to it and it switches the current open or closed based on the power switch position on the bottom of the cab.

I have replaced this part before but now I can't seem to find it online now. Anyone know the exact name of it because I can't seem to find it on Marcos or Pinball Life. Thanks.

#3443 4 years ago

It's called a emi line filter. Marco should have them

#3444 4 years ago

Put me in line for a new center ramp. The lower welds are particularly prone to busting, so I would beef up that area considerably. Mine is broken like many others.

#3445 4 years ago

Kerry - Mantis

The ramp needs a "U" style bracket to beef up the entrance walls.

1 week later
#3446 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

It's called a emi line filter. Marco should have them

So I ordered the EMI with help from Marcos I’m getting one that would work but now my problem is getting it to function with the on off switch. The old one, that you see burnt to a crisp, would fit snug onto the toggle switch when placed on top of it. The new part, pictured, doesn’t have an opening underneath for the switch to fit into to be able to turn it off and on, open/close circuit. Is there a better part available or am I going to have to add more wires to connect to the toggle switch?

034C0566-5F78-4460-A33F-3381FE7BB274 (resized).jpeg034C0566-5F78-4460-A33F-3381FE7BB274 (resized).jpegF2A09CA5-5C7E-45D0-9B3C-B2AEBBB2E148 (resized).jpegF2A09CA5-5C7E-45D0-9B3C-B2AEBBB2E148 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3447 4 years ago

If anyone has or knows where I can get parts for a scratch build I'd be grateful

I have a donor cabinet, pf, and boardset and a ruined lw3 popped pf for parts

But pretty much need everything else

Anyone have any spares? Even parts you replaced?

Thanks
Darren

#3448 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

If anyone has or knows where I can get parts for a scratch build I'd be grateful

I have a donor cabinet, pf, and boardset and a ruined lw3 popped pf for parts

But pretty much need everything else

Anyone have any spares? Even parts you replaced?

Thanks
Darren

You'll have to find a populated playfield somewhere with the R2-D2 mech/gearbox. It would be easier to sell your PF and extra boards and cabinet and just buy one that's already complete haha.

#3449 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

You'll have to find a populated playfield somewhere with the R2-D2 mech/gearbox. It would be easier to sell your PF and extra boards and cabinet and just buy one that's already complete haha.

Nah, I'll collect the missing parts , probably take awhile

#3450 4 years ago

Does anyone have any spare plastics? I need a few, but not quite enough to buy a whole set.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.