(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,719 posts
  • 408 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by ramegoom
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
20240225_130341 (resized).jpg
20240216_143848 (resized).jpg
R2D2-PLASTIC-FOR-STAR-WARS-DATA-EAST-800x900 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240213_095530 (resized).jpg
IMG_0007 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0005 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4052 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,719 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 95.
#3101 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

crazy you spent all that money to have more problems. I have a couple of those kits in my machines and never had an issue. However, I started to learn very quickly that the kits only really sound better because of the better woofer speaker. So my remaining machines (including my Star Wars) I have just added a crossover and a better woofer speaker. Total cost=30-40 bucks and they sound just as good as the pins with the pinball pro speaker system. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to upgrade their speakers.

I do like the better sound a lot!

I opted for the 50 dollar upgrade the the better woofer.

I like it a lot (really rattles that bsmt2000)!

Only sound issue, is sometimes I think the frequency into the woofer is a little too high....I hear muffly sounding voice out of it that takes away from the otherwise cleaner sound.

Maybe I should have stuck with the regular version and tried that first. I am a person who LOVES bass, but I found I had to turn volume control for backbox speakers all the way up to even start with (to minimize the higher tone muffles coming thru woofer, not because of excess bass!).

Anybody else have an audio opinion on either kit for their SW??

#3102 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

I started to learn very quickly that the kits only really sound better because of the better woofer speaker. So my remaining machines (including my Star Wars) I have just added a crossover and a better woofer speaker. Total cost=30-40 bucks and they sound just as good as the pins with the pinball pro speaker system. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to upgrade their speakers.

HONESTLY, this is kinda what I felt before even buying this kit.....and is most likely what I will just do from now on for all my other machines.

I can handle purchasing generic crossovers and speakers myself...and couldn't possibly be more work than I put into this one already....

Again, not to knock it, but frankly.....paying up for a kit is for the convenience of it being a plug and play kit.....and this was not.

My final result of quality was mostly due to my own electronic background detail. And I will most likely adjust their crossover myself when I get around to it.

For a plug and play hobbiest, sure....guess it wasn't for me (well....not at THAT price point)....

Edit: I did not intend to make it sound like their crossover etc had an actual problem, as they certainly know what they are doing, I'm sure. What I should have said was I may consider modifying it to suit what I believe sounds better in that particular game.

#3103 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Good first pin. You should clean the underside of all the inserts then replace bulbs with leds. You'll be amazed how good they look.

Hello, anybody have any advice to clean the bulb socket as it seems that I have several weak connexions.

#3104 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Hello, anybody have any advice to clean the bulb socket as it seems that I have several weak connexions.

For cleaning #44 bayonet lamp sockets use the lamp socket Emory stick...
I think Pinball Resource might have them...

#3105 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

For cleaning #44 bayonet lamp sockets use the lamp socket Emory stick...
I think Pinball Resource might have them...

You can also use an eraser off the back end of a pencil.

#3106 4 years ago

my dmd is not working. reseated all cables. i have a rottendog board and am getting 11.6 volt out of the +12v line. the -12 v is reading 13.8. could this be the problem

#3107 4 years ago

Hi.
After month of work yesterday I turned on my restored pin.
It functions really good and perfect with only one problem: the death star is not turning.
If I hold with one hand the pivot that allows the star to rotate, I can feel small tremors, but the pivot is not rotating.
Did anyone had the same problem ?

#3108 4 years ago

My guess: the plastic cogwheels in the motor are shot. You can get a replacement motor for apprx. 80 USD.

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

Hi.
After month of work yesterday I turned on my restored pin.
It functions really good and perfect with only one problem: the death star is not turning.
If I hold with one hand the pivot that allows the star to rotate, I can feel small tremors, but the pivot is not rotating.
Did anyone had the same problem ?

A bad design from Data East... The ball wacks the tall stem part of the motor to many times...
I had to work on one that had the deflector bracket broken... The Death Star was just flippity
floppity.

#3110 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

On games, mostly em’s, with a number of bulb issues. I pull every lamp and use a small wire brush on a dremmel and clean inside and connections on every socket.

#3111 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

HONESTLY, this is kinda what I felt before even buying this kit.....and is most likely what I will just do from now on for all my other machines.
I can handle purchasing generic crossovers and speakers myself...and couldn't possibly be more work than I put into this one already....
Again, not to knock it, but frankly.....paying up for a kit is for the convenience of it being a plug and play kit.....and this was not.
My final result of quality was mostly due to my own electronic background detail. And I will most likely adjust their crossover myself when I get around to it.
For a plug and play hobbiest, sure....guess it wasn't for me (well....not at THAT price point)....
Edit: I did not intend to make it sound like their crossover etc had an actual problem, as they certainly know what they are doing, I'm sure. What I should have said was I may consider modifying it to suit what I believe sounds better in that particular game.

Can you please tell us the features of the woofer and of the crossover you installed ? Size, ohm, ...

So to allow us to make a test and give you a feedback with our opinion, even if I think you are right.

#3112 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

Can you please tell us the features of the woofer and of the crossover you installed ? Size, ohm, ...
So to allow us to make a test and give you a feedback with our opinion, even if I think you are right.

Quoted from Marco1973:

Sorry, I just installed the speaker kit that I purchased from pinball pro in this machine. All I have done to the kit so far is repair defective wiring.

In the future, if I do my own speakers etc, Then I will post what I tried.

#3113 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

This is the guide i followed. got my crossover and speaker from parts-express.

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

#3114 4 years ago

Hello, I own an DE SW for many years now but became a Pinside member recently. For years my machine was in storage because I had no room to put it. Recently I was fortunate to finally got a place to put my machine. The horror when I got to open up the plastic covering my pinball in storage.... Rust and dirt everywhere! But with the help of the search function on the Pinside forum and a lot of TLC I got my pride and joy up and running again. Rebuild the flippers, replaced lots of fuse clips, some lamp diodes, all coil sleeves, placed the 1,07 Rom and replaced a lot of bulbs. Cleaned it from top to bottom, got the wireramps rechromed, the central ramp welded and tumbled all screws, nuts and small metal parts. I am extremely happy with the result and finally playing some pinball again.... Can I join the club?

20190523_174926 (resized).jpg20190523_174926 (resized).jpg20190523_181110 (resized).jpg20190523_181110 (resized).jpg20190601_233311 (resized).jpg20190601_233311 (resized).jpg20190601_233232 (resized).jpg20190601_233232 (resized).jpg
#3115 4 years ago

Well done! I‘ve scheduled a teardown of my machine for this fall. Lots of work, but well worth it.

Hint: I already upgraded my SWDE with blue convolux (to protect the plastics) and and I put blue super bands on the flippers. Looks great and compliments the theme!

#3116 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Can I join the club?

Come on in! Nice work!

#3117 4 years ago

Does anyone have a scan they could share, or know of another place other than Marco to get the decal for the shifter? A $4.99 part costs $31.99 to ship to Canada, heck I would buy the whole set but the shipping goes up to $38.99 via 2 week USPS delivery

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/820-6097-00

#3118 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

$31.99 to ship to Canada

Marcos' shipping costs are out of whack even here in the US (not to your extreme). I paid $8.99 shipping for a small lightweight cap kit. They have you by the short hairs, and they know it.

#3119 4 years ago

Glad to join the club!
I have a question: is the behavior of the playfield lighting seen in the video normal?

#3120 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Glad to join the club!
I have a question: is the behavior of the playfield lighting seen in the video normal?

Surely not.

#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

This is the guide i followed. got my crossover and speaker from parts-express.
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

I will read it during this weekend. Thank you

#3122 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

My guess: the plastic cogwheels in the motor are shot. You can get a replacement motor for apprx. 80 USD.

So I decided to open the motor before buying a new one.
Picture in attachment.
The plastic wheels inside are fine and working.
The main one, which is mounted on the motor, was out of his joint.
I will check now the motor again.
Feednback will come in a few days.

death star motor opened (resized).jpgdeath star motor opened (resized).jpg
#3123 4 years ago

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

#3124 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

is the behavior of the playfield lighting seen in the video normal

Are those LEDs in there? Could it be ghosting?

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Glad to join the club!

Almost looks like a locked on transistor issue, had similar problems with a Star Trek.

#3126 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

It seems the lamp circuit doesn't open itself after closing.
Give us please more infos.
Check if all the lamps are making it or only some. If only some tell us the numbers.

#3127 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

It seems the lamp circuit doesn't open itself after closing.
Give us please more infos.
Check if all the lamps are making it or only some. If only some tell us the numbers.

Thanks for trying to help.
I don't have any LED's, all original bulbs. The GI is fine no blinking/dimming. Backbox lights are also fine, no problem there. All other lights do this, so popbumpers and inserts. Operating the flippers or the slingshots doesn't effect anything, it looks like the popbumpers do just a little. When the ball drains and the outhole kicker is operated the lights dim a lot more. When the game starts the "star wars" letters start dim and then get more bright.

#3128 4 years ago

I'm not a technician but I will try 2 things.
1. have a look at all the lamp sockets, ensuring that in noone the 2 or 3 socket feets do not touches each other creating some short
2. take out the bulbs one at a time. If nothing changes, re insert the one you toke out and go on with the other. The lamp list (lamp matrix) is on page 26 of the manual.

I hope you have it.

#3129 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

I'm not a technician but I will try 2 things.
1. have a look at all the lamp sockets, ensuring that in noone the 2 or 3 socket feets do not touches each other creating some short
2. take out the bulbs one at a time. If nothing changes, re insert the one you toke out and go on with the other. The lamp list (lamp matrix) is on page 26 of the manual.
I hope you have it.

I wil check tomorrow, thank you.
I also made a topic in the tech section sorry for the double post..

#3130 4 years ago

Hello all,

I decided to replace all the incandescant bulbs in my recently acquired DE SW with modern leds, but did not want to buy a full set from pinball dealers for several reasons, one of them being the price in regard with what I am ready to pay for.
I identified the types of led I would need (socket, voltage, DC or AC, with frozen blud or not, etc...) then I ordered them directly from china , from Aliexpress.
Here are my choices. I will try to give you an honest feedback for each.

-#906 12V DC flashers (9 located on the front). Bought this pack at 2,69€ (free shipping): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883026450.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.19626c37eB21VT
--Feedback: Received them yesterday: Everything work, flash as expected; very bright and cold white. Ok because located behind the backglass, but not for direct view (expect if you want to become blind quickly).

-#555 6V led AC (almost 90 located everywhere in the front and playfield); Bought this 100 pack at 18€ (free shipping): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919018767.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.771f6c37eAnezh
--Feedback: Asked seller for a mixed color set for same price, what he accepted. Waiting for delivery

-#BA9S 6V led AC (estimation of 43 located on and under playfield); Bought this 50 'cold white' pack at 15€ (free shipping); https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961159217.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.771f6c37eAnezh

-#BA15S 12V DC flashers (12 or 13 identified on and under the playfield); Bought 15 of this 'cold white' at 8€ (free shipping); https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32950049376.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.771f6c37eAnezh

I'll keep you informed.

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Hello all,
I decided to replace all the incandescant bulbs in my recently acquired DE SW with modern leds, but did not want to buy a full set from pinball dealers for several reasons, one of them being the price in regard with what I am ready to pay for.
I identified the types of led I would need (socket, voltage, DC or AC, with frozen blud or not, etc...) then I ordered them directly from china , from Aliexpress.
-#906 12V DC flashers (9 located on the front). Bought this pack at 2,69€ (free shipping): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883026450.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.19626c37eB21VT
--Feedback: Received them yesterday: Everything work, flash as expected; very bright and cold white. Ok because located behind the backglass, but not for direct view (expect if you want to become blind quickly).
-#555 6V led AC (almost 90 located everywhere in the front and playfield); Bought this 100 pack at 18€ (free shipping): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919018767.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.771f6c37eAnezh
--Feedback: Asked seller for a mixed color set for same price, what he accepted. Waiting for delivery
-#BA9S 6V led AC (estimation of 43 located on and under playfield); Bought this 50 'cold white' pack at 15€ (free shipping); https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961159217.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.771f6c37eAnezh
-#BA15S 12V DC flashers (12 or 13 identified on and under the playfield); Bought 15 of this 'cold white' at 8€ (free shipping); https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32950049376.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.771f6c37eAnezh
I'll keep you informed.

The lights you chose for the GI may not be pleasing to the eye since they don't have a lens on them. Without the lens you will get hot spots that blind your eyes. The rest should work out well.

#3132 4 years ago

So a question should this plastic sit perfectly flat when mounted? The scoop seems to sit to high causing the plastic to be bent around it to mount correctly. Both scoops on playfield are the same height, and the old plastic was bent to fit. Just not sure if that is normal or something is up

20190702_210257 (resized).jpg20190702_210257 (resized).jpg
#3133 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

So a question should this plastic sit perfectly flat when mounted? The scoop seems to sit to high causing the plastic to be bent around it to mount correctly. Both scoops on playfield are the same height, and the old plastic was bent to fit. Just not sure if that is normal or something is up[quoted image]

Mine is bent but I’ve been wondering the same thing. I think others I’ve looked at as well are bent.

#3134 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

So a question should this plastic sit perfectly flat when mounted? The scoop seems to sit to high causing the plastic to be bent around it to mount correctly. Both scoops on playfield are the same height, and the old plastic was bent to fit. Just not sure if that is normal or something is up[quoted image]

It' normal. Changed all the plastics last month. Same problem. The old one was curved. Buit after replacing and closing the nuts, you will not remember it.

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Hello all,
I'll keep you informed.

No leds for the backbox ?

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

No leds for the backbox ?

Yes indeed. A part of the #555 will go in the backbox.

#3137 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

The lights you chose for the GI may not be pleasing to the eye since they don't have a lens on them. Without the lens you will get hot spots that blind your eyes. The rest should work out well.

Humm, you may be right. I choose those one because of the lighting in all directions, I'll see

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

It' normal. Changed all the plastics last month. Same problem. The old one was curved. Buit after replacing and closing the nuts, you will not remember it.

Perfect, thanks for the responses.

#3139 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me where the two bridgerectifier that are inside the backbox are connected to?

#3140 4 years ago

Looking for quick help!!
A new pinball friend ask if I wanted to stop over. He has a SW with I think he said 1.04 code. Looking for someone with 1.07 code to email me the already extracted and patched file, I have never done patch nonsense and will not have time to do before tonight.
Could someone help me out.

[Email removed by request]

Thanks much

#3141 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Looking for quick help!!
A new pinball friend ask if I wanted to stop over. He has a SW with I think he said 1.04 code. Looking for someone with 1.07 code to email me the already extracted and patched file, I have never done patch nonsense and will not have time to do before tonight.
[Email removed by request]
Thanks much

I just patched one back in May before I sold it, stop on over and I can burn it for you.

#3142 4 years ago

I've got a project game here that could really use a better condition cabinet, if anyone local has one they want to get rid of just let me know.
Thanks,
John

#3143 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Hello all,
I'll keep you informed.

Some feedback:
All LEDs received and globally work well
Things to consider :
-ba9s LEDs Few bulbs are used unhide, with plastic cover on top of them (3 yellow one upon hyperspace, I red close to launcher). You cannot replace them with led of other shape (like the one I chose), as the plastic cap won't fit on them and the visual result is not nice .
-ba15s flashers dc: I discovered that hard way that 70% of ba15s sockets where soldes the wrong way. Apparently it is common to all de pinball. I should have chose ac/dc LEDs, I now have to resold several wire.

#3144 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Looking for quick help!!
[email protected]
Thanks much

I can't help youbut keep on telling how it goes. I'm interested in studying it.

#3145 4 years ago
Quoted from bellenic:

Some feedback:
All LEDs received and globally work well
Things to consider :
-ba9s LEDs Few bulbs are used unhide, with plastic cover on top of them (3 yellow one upon hyperspace, I red close to launcher). You cannot replace them with led of other shape (like the one I chose), as the plastic cap won't fit on them and the visual result is not nice .
-ba15s flashers dc: I discovered that hard way that 70% of ba15s sockets where soldes the wrong way. Apparently it is common to all de pinball. I should have chose ac/dc LEDs, I now have to resold several wire.

Thanks for reporting. I ordered "your" 555 too.
Go on please telling how they are.
I will receive mine in about one month.

#3146 4 years ago

Flipper Question. Do you guys remove the main flipper coil shaft spring or leave it on? Most of the setups I’ve seen show it removed. It appears the other thin spring may be good enough. Not sure what the benefits are but I’m suspect having the spring causes the shaft to not close properly and eventually heat & wear down the coil causing flipper flopping.

What say you guys? Springs on or off?

0F914173-A0BC-4767-AB86-B05B607E02CA (resized).jpeg0F914173-A0BC-4767-AB86-B05B607E02CA (resized).jpeg
#3147 4 years ago

can someone look on the dmd board on your game and tell me the switch settings (the red row of switches). my board is giving me nothing i have allthe switches slid off. should any of those be on?

#3148 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

can someone look on the dmd board on your game and tell me the switch settings (the red row of switches). my board is giving me nothing i have allthe switches slid off. should any of those be on?

All of mine are in the off position

#3149 4 years ago

Anyone interested in a playfield?

Been holding on to it an a funhouse pf for several yrs

Wanting to free up cash for a new project

Pm if interested and I'll send pics

#3150 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

What say you guys? Springs on or off?

Off the spring digs into the rod connection piece it's not needed anymore.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
There are 4,719 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/63?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.