(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,741 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by EmptyH
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 95.
#2551 6 years ago

looking for alternative translite ,anyone?

#2552 6 years ago

Data east owners and fanatics! Wanted: Data East Star Wars for my basement. Players condition is great. Project is even better. Anyone know of any? Let me know. Eastern Pennsylvania. Willing to drive, but not crazy far.

#2553 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

looking for alternate translite ,anyone?

I won a SW Pro translight at a local tournament. It almost works.

swtrans (resized).jpgswtrans (resized).jpg

#2554 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

looking for alternate translite ,anyone?

I have this one, I really like it... seller is pugsotoys5zpt on eBay but it looks like he doesn't have any more.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/9#post-1858829

#2555 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I have this one, I really like it... seller is pugsotoys5zpt on eBay but it looks like he doesn't have any more.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/9#post-1858829

It looks like Retro Refurbs carries it.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/star-wars-data-east-dark-side-alternate-pinball-translite/

#2556 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

led strips for scoop lighting...

Hello, I have some consultations where you can buy that led strip? do you connect it to the gi lights? is 6v the led? Thank you

#2557 6 years ago

Hello. I'm thinking about it to powdercoat lockbar, legs, siderails ...
I need some inspiration. Has anybody done this befor on the SWDE? Red, blue or silver? Some photos?
Thank you!

#2558 6 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

Hey guys, here is a pic of the start of my playfield swap that I am working on, Now I am thinking about re-decaling the cabinet. Does anyone have any recommendations of which decals to use, and where to get them? The only ones I could find were on ebay, and one place in Europe. I am also looking for advice on touch up paint for the cabinet, Thanks!

I cut a thumb size square paint sample chip out of the inside main box at the back with a scalpel, for two reasons:
1. nobody would notice the wood fill later and I could paint the missing piece to test acruracy
2. I knew the inside of the box had no sun damage, or tabaco damage, so the colour was going to be very close to the original blue

I then took that thumb size paint sample chip to a professional industrial paint company and they sent it out to be spectral analysed and then had the paint made up by them based on that. It came out perfect, a 100% match, even under a magnifying daylight balanced LED detail lamp. It also didn't cost to much, I have even given other people my left overs and it matched theirs also perfectly.

As for the decals, I have a high end wand scanner and have scanned in my mint cab and photoshopped everything including the blue to a cmyk output profile, the prices of overseas panel graphics is ridiculous I can get them printed locally for 1/10th of the price some of these people are asking.

I did it for a backup incase.

#2559 6 years ago
Quoted from e537186:

Hello, I have some consultations where you can buy that led strip? do you connect it to the gi lights? is 6v the led? Thank you

bought from Cointaker, plugged to GI and yes 6v

#2560 6 years ago

Finally finished installing my metal-mods stickers. I replaced the tall Data East caps with regular Williams caps.

#2561 5 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

So my lengthy reply disappeared when I hit post grr... lets try this again....

Ordered, I was looking at those the other day wife gave the nod of approval today lol

Good to know thanks. It'll be my next upgrade after I fix motors and lamps.
OK so I dug into the ghosting problems. These are NOT leds. Forgive me if this is an obvious fix I'm new to SS machines. I don't know if having a large number of burned out and missing lamps would cause this. Let me know if I should start at the transistors on the board or sockets and diodes.
Force lamp (47 Power scoop left) Ghosts on every row test lit correctly on row 7, does not ghost on any column test. Lit correctly on column 6. On individual lamp test it ghost with everything besides lamps in row 7 and columns 2 and 6.
Shooter lane (Launch 31) ghost on row 1,5,6 lit correct on row 7. Does not ghost on any column test, lit correct on column 4. Individual it ghost with every lamp in column 4.
Only did individual tests with the following
39 drop center ghosts with every lamp in it's column (5)
63 right bump ghost with every lamp in it's column (8)
23 DS tie ghosts with every lamp in it's column besides 17 (not used) and 18
48 scoop right ghosts with 56.
Visual aid of my trouble shooting

Starting to wonder if my good deal wasn't such a good deal. But we agreed this pin will never leave our house so I'm not too worried about it.
Thanks in advance.

So finally getting back to giving my SW a little love after almost a year of life getting in the way. Trying to dig into this lighting problem again and just went over a ton of diodes found one dead on my non lighting pop bumper but still chasing this ghosting. I recall seeing someone mention they found diodes installed backwards? Any inclination from my testing pointing to where it could be?

#2562 5 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

So finally getting back to giving my SW a little love after almost a year of life getting in the way. Trying to dig into this lighting problem again and just went over a ton of diodes found one dead on my non lighting pop bumper but still chasing this ghosting. I recall seeing someone mention they found diodes installed backwards? Any inclination from my testing pointing to where it could be?

Seems like it was on the scoops. It was a huge problem for my ghosting. Once I replaced it, ghosting went away 100%.

#2563 5 years ago
Quoted from ArtVandelay1990:

Data east owners and fanatics! Wanted: Data East Star Wars for my basement. Players condition is great. Project is even better. Anyone know of any? Let me know. Eastern Pennsylvania. Willing to drive, but not crazy far.

I have a project Data East Star Wars if your still interested please message me I'm in NY, Long Island.

#2564 5 years ago

Does anyone have any custom instruction cards for DE SW?
Please let me know

Thanks

#2565 5 years ago

About to enter the club and I'm stoked! I am looking for the death star speaker grills if someone has a spare or knows where to get some. Thanks!

#2566 5 years ago

Well i wasn't looking that hard and yes now I am in the club to. It works but needs love. Guess it did the kessel run a few times and shows it. Now to read up and decide how far i need to trick it out.

IMAG1080 (resized).jpgIMAG1080 (resized).jpg

IMAG1081 (resized).jpgIMAG1081 (resized).jpg

#2567 5 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Well i wasn't looking that hard and yes now I am in the club to. It works but needs love. Guess it did the kessel run a few times and shows it. Now to read up and decide how far i need to trick it out.

Get the latest code. ChadH did a great job with the updates!

#2568 5 years ago

That's one i things on my list at some point possibly going with pin sound and maybe get wild and do a color dmd. But need to address other issues. Broken or worn wear items non working gi etc. Currently have mixed match square target faces yellow some are Opaque and some are transparent. The opaque are the ones i remember back then playing it when it was new on a route. But wonder if transparent ones and lighting them are better looking. Also this one has clear pop bumper caps had thought they were supposed to be red but saw in thread some posts back that was changed. Seen lots of pics and videos of modded ones so it's now time to decide what mods if any and which ones to do. This has some led's and some incandescent another thing to think about go full on led or go back to the old school look.

#2569 5 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Currently have mixed match square target faces yellow some are Opaque and some are transparent. The opaque are the ones i remember back then playing it when it was new on a route. But wonder if transparent ones and lighting them are better looking. Also this one has clear pop bumper caps

I went with red translucent target faces and red led flashers behind them and I think it looks great.
The red bumper caps are available new online. Apparently the clear ones were quieter.

I switched to regular Williams style caps as a bunch of the cap screws broke off in the hex spacer holding the cap up, and the spacer has weird threading and is impossible to find.

#2570 5 years ago

Hey just wanted to let you all know a solution to a longstanding problem I had putting a Color DMD into DESW:

The problem: The DMD would drop certain graphics elements, including the score, after hitting the ramp consecutively.

The solution: I replaced the ribbon cable from the driver board (the shorter one from Marco I posted above worked fine) AND updated the code to the latest unofficial — I was one update behind. It was most likely the ribbon cable, but just in case.

Crazy problem — I’ve swapped lots of boards and stuff sorting through this. Hope this helps someone else.

#2571 5 years ago

I have most of the parts on hand to gut the pop bumpers Marco shows the special ring 535-5874-00 ,Special pop bumper rod 535-5875-00, the hex bushing 02-4252-20 but it doesn't take the original cap screws you need a larger 6-32 machine screw they are listed as a sub for the 254-5012-00 hex spacer.

1 week later
#2572 5 years ago

I have finally joined the club..

This machine has been a fully restored: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=14789.0

SW 1 (resized).pngSW 1 (resized).png

SW3 (resized).pngSW3 (resized).png

#2573 5 years ago

The black cabinet looks great!

1 week later
#2574 5 years ago

Can I join the club? Picked this up last weekend. 9 hr round trip. Was really ruff but all the parts were there and the playfield was good. Had a good bit of board work to do, power supply was sending 150 volts to the dmd instead of 100 causing it to burn all the dots at all times and the visuals even brighter. That was a fun one to trace down. Luckily I have a LAH as well with the same boards so I could do trouble shooting. New rubbers, leds, waxed the black playfield few shorts here and there. Added a couple ships and some toppers. Luckily being a star wars nerd I have several pieces on hand to play with. I wasn't digging the red brake light looking pop caps so I changed to clear and did blue and white leds to compliment r2. Had to change r2's head rotation motor. Still have some parts coming. Going to change a couple leds. Going to put 6 led crystal bulbs to brighten the pop bumpers, add a blue under the force scoop and green under Jabba scoop and put mirror blades on when they come in. I've been hunting this game for years. Well before I got into the hobby. Almost bought the stern one because I had all but given up my "last hope" of finding this title but I'm glad that I decided to "stay on target" and finally found one relatively close to me. It's running the 1.03 code and I have no eprom burner or know of anyone who does so if someone were to be boss enough to be able to get me chads code on am eprom then they would get one hell of an ataboy from me. This one came from a non collector who bought it from a guy who was given it by a route guy in a trade and hasn't been touched in years as far as maintenance is concerned. She was ruff. Glad I could save another one. These are getting rarer it seems. Anyway glad to be here. Was lurking last night and read the first 16 pages. Have a long way to go but there's a lot of cool ideas and advice you guys have given so I will read on as I can.

20180603_081504 (resized).jpg20180603_081504 (resized).jpg20180603_081513 (resized).jpg20180603_081513 (resized).jpg20180603_081520 (resized).jpg20180603_081520 (resized).jpg20180603_081534 (resized).jpg20180603_081534 (resized).jpg
#2575 5 years ago
Quoted from Solidevan:

It's running the 1.03 code and I have no eprom burner or know of anyone who does so if someone were to be boss enough to be able to get me chads code on am eprom then they would get one hell of an ataboy from me.

Reach out to Meloyelo51 here on Pinside for all your ROM burning needs.

All the fun details about the update can be found here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

#2576 5 years ago

From the man himself. Thank you sir. I just sent him a message.

#2577 5 years ago

Blushes
It's so nice to be loved!

If you love them, don't forget about Chad

Quoted from Solidevan:

From the man himself. Thank you sir. I just sent him a message.

Quoted from ChadH:

Reach out to meloyelo51 here on Pinside for all your ROM burning needs.
All the fun details about the update can be found here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

#2578 5 years ago

Has anyone come across a replacement for the inner blue dome for r2d2? Mine is half missing. Cheers

#2579 5 years ago

Hey all, almost done bringing my pin back to life. Last big task is figuring out the death star drop target. It currently doesn't do anything and when you pop the hood its clear that someone did some hack work. Is this at least the correct motor? If nothing else I know this random fuse isn't supposed to be there. Any advice on putting this back to stock would be awesome. TIA

IMG_2804 (resized).jpegIMG_2804 (resized).jpegIMG_2805 (resized).jpegIMG_2805 (resized).jpegIMG_2806 (resized).jpegIMG_2806 (resized).jpegIMG_2807 (resized).jpegIMG_2807 (resized).jpeg
#2580 5 years ago

Anyone know a source for these or am I really going to have to drop $50 for a full motor?

IMG_20180611_012455.jpgIMG_20180611_012455.jpg
3 weeks later
#2581 5 years ago

Unofficial v1.07 ROM gameplay.
Not the best main ramp did lose the great function for collecting more and more points.

#2582 5 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

Unofficial v1.07 ROM gameplay.
Not the best main ramp did lose the great function for collecting more and more points.

You seem to be registering Death Star hits when you hit the middle Xwing targets. Also does your Death Star target even go up? I don't see it on the video, ever shot seems to go right in.

#2583 5 years ago

I did this modification because after one week playing the death star gate always broken.
The gate assy is working well but in this case I don't destroy the plastic gate.

Need better soultion e.g aluminium or another light but strong material.

#2584 5 years ago

Printed the free pop bumper cap offered by PinballCharlie in his thread here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/limited-run-tatooine-and-hoth-mods-star-wars-pinball#post-4342341

Works great on Data East even though it was designed for the Stern machine.

IMG_6741 (resized).jpgIMG_6741 (resized).jpgIMG_6742 (resized).jpgIMG_6742 (resized).jpg
#2585 5 years ago

That’s great! Don’t the caps go up and down in desw? They don’t in stern Star Wars, so I hope it doesn’t jar your at-at loose. Look awesome. PinballCharlie is a stud and makes cool products. Nice of him to give that one away!

#2586 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Works great on Data East even though it was designed for the Stern machine.

Nice! It's perfect because during AT-AT Walkers mode you are supposed to hit the pop bumpers.

#2587 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That’s great! Don’t the caps go up and down in desw?

The original ones did. The were larger and mounted to the pop bumper metal ring. I replaced them with Williams caps that mount to the pop bumper body (which I also replaced with red translucent) so they don't move. The original ones were super noisy.

The ATAT hasn't moved yet and he's not even glued on!

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Nice! It's perfect because during AT-AT Walkers mode you are supposed to hit the pop bumpers.

Exactly!

#2589 5 years ago

Hey everyone, has there been any attempt to 3D print R2D2’s body? Mines getting brittle and I’d rather try and find a solution before it breaks. Thanks!

#2590 5 years ago

Anyone have a recommendation on specific red paint for touchup work? I picked up a matching blue, but the body on my cab is pretty rough.

Also still seeking someone to sell or make death star speaker grills

#2591 5 years ago

Great to know the cap fits DESW! When I get time (likely after summer), I'll see about designing another cap that can mount the Snowspeeder that comes in the Hot Wheels set with the AT-AT and upload to Thingiverse for printing. Then you can print out a combination of AT-ATs and Snowspeeders to fill out the four PB caps.

Based on the photos - it looks like I'll have to design a mount for the Snowspeeder on the mid-left cap to jut out away from the wireform above. And the cap screws are E/W and not N/S on a stock machine, right?

#2592 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Great to know the cap fits DESW! When I get time (likely after summer), I'll see about designing another cap that can mount the Snowspeeder that comes in the Hot Wheels set with the AT-AT and upload to Thingiverse for printing. Then you can print out a combination of AT-ATs and Snowspeeders to fill out the four PB caps.
Based on the photos - it looks like I'll have to design a mount for the Snowspeeder on the mid-left cap to jut out away from the wireform above. And the cap screws are E/W and not N/S on a stock machine, right?

A cap for the snowspeeder would be sweet! I was thinking about where to put that in the machine.

The cap screwes are N/S on s stock machine. The Data east pop bumper caps mount to extensions on the metal pop bumper ring (which are E/W), the caps actually moved when activated. The holes in the pop bumper body are not used. So when I switched cap styles, I didn't reorient anything, I just used the holes in the pop bumper body.

For your mod, I would imagine you wouldn't want it to shake, so you would would use the holes in the pop bumper body, which obviously are standard since the cap fits a new stern and an old data east

Let me know if you have any more questions!

#2593 5 years ago

I like the caps!
Cap screws are #4 metrics if I remember right, recently took one to Ace Hardware to match...

#2594 5 years ago

Could someone do me a favor and measure you legs? Something is just weird that i have yet to figure out. The table is too flat. I have the front levelers up (shorter) and rear all the way down. Game is still too flat according to the built in level. The game sits flatter than everyother game i have, even older williams T2. Legs appear stock, with the rough powdercoat finish. Front an back legs measure 28". Front lockdown bar measures 37", all other games are 36".

#2595 5 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Could someone do me a favor and measure you legs?

Note: Data East Star wars legs are 28 1/2" long.
The legs have a pointy interior fold and light fluting along each legs sides.
The legs are normally powder coated black crinkle finish.
The leg bolts are 9/16" low profile acorn heads with a black oxide finish.

#2596 5 years ago

DE do sit higher than the Stern or Williams that I have. Back boxes are almost touching my ceiling.

#2597 5 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Something is just weird that i have yet to figure out. The table is too flat. I have the front levelers up (shorter) and rear all the way down. Game is still too flat according to the built in level. The game sits flatter than everyother game i have, even older williams T2. Legs appear stock

I resorted to this piece of wood under the back. My DE LW3 got to 6.5 with the front all the way down and the rear all the way up but Star Wars wouldn’t come close. The legs that came on it were not stock and I swapped with a brand new set of legs that I had painted for my virtual cab. Now it’s up to 7 degrees and I haven’t lowered it back but I need to try. Some shots are better, some are worse.

6C4F887F-282A-45F1-A124-4C24B5DADB20 (resized).jpeg6C4F887F-282A-45F1-A124-4C24B5DADB20 (resized).jpeg
#2598 5 years ago

I’ve had this problem with DESW and had to put shorter (standard) legs on the front. I’m not sure if there are variations on this cabinet, but getting 6.5 degrees was impossible with my initial legs. Maybe that’s intended, but maybe this cab had different leg front/back lengths for some runs?

#2599 5 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am sure mine are stock, glad (sort of) I am not the only one that noticed this. Why put a tilt guage on the game but not able to get that tilt with stock legs? Strange.

1 week later
#2600 5 years ago

I owned a DESW years ago and when I bought another one figured it was a keeper. Well, I guess never say never in pinball! I decided to put it up for sale. It is excellent condition and a full topside rebuild. Really it is about perfect other than the cabinet which was in pretty good shape, but I would have redone the cabinet also if I had known the extent of the other items- it has a couple minor scratches on the sides but front and head are excellent. If anyone has any interest please let me know. I am not in a big rush and have lots of photos and video. I was going to ask $6k. I know that is way over the typical going price but with the extras came up with:
Game $3500
Pinsound & FF $500
Color DMD $400
Custom LED & OCD $300
Misc new parts, new plastic, cpu, speakerlights, playfield protector, new shifter, etc, etc $800
Time & effort $500

I see some ridiculous prices +6k for basic DESW. Of course if I list it will need to figure in the commission.

2018-07-18 19.14.56 (resized).jpg2018-07-18 19.14.56 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 4,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/52?hl=nobi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.