(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 95.
#2351 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I lightly sanded out the inside of my Death Star. The places where there are "seams" got thinner and show light through. Looks great. Very easy. Just go lightly.

Did the same using a fine scotchbrite pad so it just thins the paint without scratching. Added a color changing led in addition, i like it, it really glows.

#2352 6 years ago

I finally get to join the club! I bought this machine from a local collector and got it set up over the weekend. This is my first DMD machine and, oddly enough, my first machine that uses incandescent bulbs. This is probably the nicest Star Wars machine that I have ever seen; a solid 9.5/10. Playfield and plastics are perfect. There are very minor touchups made to the cabinet. The cardboard shroud behind the coin box is even intact; never seen that before. It does have new code (1.04 so I will need to upgrade to 1.07). I look forward to trying my hand at LEDs and maybe installing a Color DMD or Pinsound board. In the meantime, I will enjoy learning how to play this game.

IMG_20170612_210823837_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20170612_210823837_TOP (resized).jpg

IMG_20170612_210650231 (resized).jpgIMG_20170612_210650231 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170612_210748135 (resized).jpgIMG_20170612_210748135 (resized).jpg

#2353 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I finally get to join the club! I bought this machine from a local collector and got it set up over the weekend. This is my first DMD machine and, oddly enough, my first machine that uses incandescent bulbs. This is probably the nicest Star Wars machine that I have ever seen; a solid 9.5/10. Playfield and plastics are perfect. There are very minor touchups made to the cabinet. The cardboard shroud behind the coin box is even intact; never seen that before. It does have new code (1.04 so I will need to upgrade to 1.07). I look forward to trying my hand at LEDs and maybe installing a Color DMD or Pinsound board. In the meantime, I will enjoy learning how to play this game.

So thats what the cardboard shroud looks like... never seen one in tact. Nice to see how Data East went all out back in the day!

Looks like a nice one!

#2354 6 years ago

Get a pinsound in that. Major upgrade. And watch out on leds. Get the non-ghosting. A number of us have found sockets wired wrong causing major ghosting that didn't reveal itself till leds were put in.

#2355 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

So thats what the cardboard shroud looks like... never seen one in tact. Nice to see how Data East went all out back in the day!

I have one in my JP, it's the only one I have ever seen as well!

#2356 6 years ago

The cardboard shroud was a tech/operator nightmare.
You have to be mindful of its presence. Especially, when
using the solder outlet. A lot of operators did not have the
patience... and so off it went.

#2357 6 years ago

Haven't replaced the back box gi connector yet but reseating it seemed to fix the dim lamps. Really happy with how this turned out.

20170607_072504 (resized).jpg20170607_072504 (resized).jpg

#2358 6 years ago

Hi guys, i m looking for this plastic, mine is missing and not icluded in cpr plastic set i ve bought, pm me if you have, thanks

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2359 6 years ago

@DavidC. reg plastic part. It is not plastic.
--- It is a decal on a metal plate.

#2360 6 years ago

You can get a plastic part to replace it on ebay... But it will cost an arm and a leg.

#2361 6 years ago

Is there a cliffy for shooter lane ball eject area?

#2362 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

DavidC. reg plastic part. It is not plastic.
--- It is a decal on a metal plate.

anybody can scan it for me? Please

#2363 6 years ago

That cardboard shroud is fascinating, i want to reproduce it for mine, could you please put up some measurements and more pictures?

great condition machine BTW

#2364 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Is there a cliffy for shooter lane ball eject area?

Anyone know of such cliffy?

#2365 6 years ago

Hi guys,

So today my DMD don't wanted to work, nothing.....so I checked the voltages as follows.

Power supply board

CN5.

1. -110. .456

2. -98. .548

3. Key

4. Ground

5. Ground

6. +5. +4.98

7. +12. +12.3

8. +68. +68.3

Any ideas where should I start looking??

Gustavo

#2366 6 years ago

Further investigation, it seems this ceramic cap is done. Any modern replacement??

TI .1Z. 500V

IMG_1178 (resized).JPGIMG_1178 (resized).JPG

#2367 6 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Further investigation, it seems this ceramic cap is done. Any modern replacement??
TI .1Z. 500V

Those are still readily available. .1uf 500V ceramic disk capacitor https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CCD-0.1uF-500V-P5

I doubt that alone is causing your power supply to stop working. Have you checked all the fuses and associated fuse holder clips? Data East clips are notorious for losing their spring and not clamping the fuse very tightly. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1A1907-03

#2368 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

Hi guys, i m looking for this plastic, mine is missing and not icluded in cpr plastic set i ve bought, pm me if you have, thanks

Its a decal, i think marco has the sets, i bought a set a few months ago.. needing the same decal

#2369 6 years ago

Hi,

All fuses and clips are ok, i think its something else, I need to dig more.

Gustavo

#2370 6 years ago

Definitely is the HV power supply area, any ideas??

Gustavo

#2371 6 years ago

I have a DESW in operation and I have to switch out the balls every 6 weeks or so. They get hammered! I have a PF protector on the game and nice Titan rubbers, it's in great shape. But I cannot figure out what's dinging the balls so much. Any ideas?

#2372 6 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I have a DESW in operation and I have to switch out the balls every 6 weeks or so. They get hammered! I have a PF protector on the game and nice Titan rubbers, it's in great shape. But I cannot figure out what's dinging the balls so much. Any ideas?

Probably the metal ramp and wire ramp...

#2373 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Its a decal, i think marco has the sets, i bought a set a few months ago.. needing the same decal

Thanks

1 week later
#2374 6 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

have a look if the screws putting your ramps into the playfield at the start of the ramp are sticking up or out, they act like a knife when getting hit by a fast heavy metal ball

#2375 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

they act like a knife when getting hit by a fast heavy metal ball

A......ooouuuuch.

1 week later
#2376 6 years ago

Turns out a spare rubber from a toilet plunger assembly fits perfectly over a Data East Start Button

IMG_2123 (resized).JPGIMG_2123 (resized).JPG

IMG_2124 (resized).JPGIMG_2124 (resized).JPG

IMG_2126 (resized).JPGIMG_2126 (resized).JPG

#2377 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Turns out a spare rubber from a toilet plunger assembly fits perfectly over a Data East Start Button

A plunger for a "plunger."

#2378 6 years ago

I'm looking for a SW data east. Anyone have one for sale? PM me

#2379 6 years ago

OK what are your strategies for scoring on DESW!

Since I put cliffys on it is not so easy to shoot the left scoop. I am tending to focus on the Death Star jackpot. Ideally I light the jackpot, hit the ramp, and hit the Death Star again to get double jackpot. Even more ideally I have 2 balls alive still and can go for the jackpot again after shooting a few more moons. That doesn't happen to me too often though.

Also another random question -- does everyone's Death Star opening go up & down more than once at times?

#2380 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Dont do it! Get some touch up paint (& soap).

#2381 6 years ago

Am curious if and how anybody has used LED strip lights either behind or in front of the backboard (top most plastic in the machine behind R2D2 and the Death Star).

#2382 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Dont do it! Get some touch up paint (& soap).

the wood is brittle and the pain is flaking

IMG_2123 (resized).JPGIMG_2123 (resized).JPG

IMG_2124 (resized).JPGIMG_2124 (resized).JPG

IMG_2125 (resized).JPGIMG_2125 (resized).JPG

IMG_2126 (resized).JPGIMG_2126 (resized).JPG

#2383 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Reads like an ode to a song.

#2384 6 years ago

Hi guys,

I finally revived the DMD, replaced some zener diode, transistor and caps....still got some sound issue, during the game play obi starts saying may the force..... several times, the music on the background disappears and the effects remain. I suspect is the +12V from the ps, I got 10v, so should I replace the DB1?

Gustavo

#2385 6 years ago

Solve!! It was actually the bridge rectifier.....

Gustavo

#2386 6 years ago

Plastics

I see reference to this piece http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/4155/plastic-for-star-wars-de-4/b?c=2284 but I dont have this piece, is this actually a Star Wars Data East plastic I am missing ?

Then inside the case of my Star Wars I found this piece http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/data-east/star-wars/star-wars-plastic-5570.html but I have no idea where this piece goes

Any Suggestions

#2387 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Then inside the case of my Star Wars I found this piece http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/data-east/star-wars/star-wars-plastic-5570.html but I have no idea where this piece goes

Any Suggestions

That piece goes the right of R2D2. in order to keep the ball from getting stuck.

#2388 6 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Thanks.
Here's a few more. Nothing in the machine was untouched.

HOw did you get your main ramp so polished ?

#2389 6 years ago

I have a problem, the game starts up , i hear Obi Wan say "may the force be with you"the GI lights up, and then nothing

No DMD, nothing else happens

Help me Obi Wan Knobi's

#2390 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That piece goes the right of R2D2. in order to keep the ball from getting stuck.

Would you please mind taking a picture of its installation level and sequence, it seems to be hit by the R2 Legs movement

#2391 6 years ago

Quoted from alistaircg:I have a problem, the game starts up , i hear Obi Wan say "may the force be with you"the GI lights up, and then nothing
Help me Obi Wan Knobi's</blockquote
Can you start a game? It could just be the dmd.
Mine is sometimes slow to start up but does eventually come on ~1 min or so.

Added over 7 years ago:

Quoted from alistaircg:I have a problem, the game starts up , i hear Obi Wan say "may the force be with you"the GI lights up, and then nothing
Help me Obi Wan Knobi's

#2392 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Would you please mind taking a picture of its installation level and sequence, it seems to be hit by the R2 Legs movement

It's supposed to. When in down position the leg part touches the clear plastic.
The plastic should bend down a little and then straighten back up.

1 week later
#2393 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Added 7 days ago:

the wrong coils where installed by the previous owner, the higher amplitude was put int and it kept blowing the power board

1 week later
#2394 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I forget who carries it, but there is a place that carries nearly exact color touch up paint, you can get like 4 oz or something small like that. I would use filler, sand and touch it up long before putting a toilet grommet on it!

#2395 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

I forget who carries it, but there is a place that carries nearly exact color touch up paint, you can get like 4 oz or something small like that. I would use filler, sand and touch it up long before putting a toilet grommet on it!

http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

#2396 6 years ago

The top half of the backbox lights don't come on at all? Where should I start to fix this problem?

#2397 6 years ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

The top half of the backbox lights don't come on at all? Where should I start to fix this problem?

Check the PPB board and the interconnector to the back box lamps.
Also, the power supply connector. Data East connectors always burn,
they are not rated to handle the high current. I used the round Molex
type connectors in order to repair the G.I. circuitry.

#2398 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Check the PPB board and the interconnector to the back box lamps.
Also, the power supply connector. Data East connectors always burn,
they are not rated to handle the high current. I used the round Molex
type connectors in order to repair the G.I. circuitry.

I had the exact problem. It was the brown wire into the pcb. Just had to make a new connector.

#2399 6 years ago

Fixed my connector issue permanently. Typical overload burn got to the circuit board as well, causing permanent damage to the traces. I had to replace and re-route a couple of them, so the original connector replacement was not my first choice to repair it:

img03 (resized).jpgimg03 (resized).jpg

Wiring and terminals overheated:

img01 (resized).jpgimg01 (resized).jpg

Repaired the damaged board and added a pigtail with an automotive connector. Added the mating connector to the original harness:

img02 (resized).jpgimg02 (resized).jpg

Replacing the bulbs with LED's will reduce the load significantly and prevent further aging. Unfortunately, time vs. heat has gotten to all of these machines, since LED's weren't an option for years.

#2400 6 years ago

What's average cost to fix and are these items available new?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/48?hl=haggy38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.