(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 95.
#2101 7 years ago

The 74LSXX series is the low power version and can't source as much current as the standard 74XX series. All I can say is they might work, it really depends on how the circuit in which they are used is designed. If they are cheap enough, it would be worth giving them a try.

#2102 7 years ago

Thanks again, I already buy them, I will give a try the 74LS08, hope it works ok.

Gustavo

#2103 7 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

74LS08N

And

74HCTLS08N

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! TTL only! period!!!!
There is a lot of noise when driving TIP 122/TIP 102s
LS is low schlocky they tip at low current or whatever.
74HC08 might work NO "LS".....!

#2104 7 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

My desw is really looking good now from a pretty major referb. Now the cabinet is the only thing that is bothering me. I am thinking of repainting it. Considering the black theme. Whats everyone think? Keep the classic blue or black? That one that Hasi posted looks really nice, especially with the chrome metal!

I asked about this before. I'm still undecided.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12135465

#2105 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! TTL only! period!!!!
There is a lot of noise when driving TIP 122/TIP 102s
LS is low schlocky they tip at low current or whatever.
74HC08 might work NO "LS".....!

Ok, so I guess I got to order them, I prefer to wait, the 74F08 or 74HCT08 will work?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=74HCT08

Gustavo

#2106 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I asked about this before. I'm still undecided.
http://www.strawpoll.me/12135465

I thought there was a poll on something or other. Looks like blue by one vote. There is a lot to be said about the classic, but black sure looks cool. Wasnt there something about a 30 year anniversary edition or something in black? Someones marketing ploy?

#2107 7 years ago

Best choice+++++

#2108 7 years ago

I've seen a weird message twice and I was wondering if anyone here could explain: I enter credits with an open coin door (my DESW is on location) and, after closing the door and hitting start, a replay adjustment menu pops up. I hit start to clear it, and it eats the credit. I really need to get a pic. How am I triggering this? Kinda freaks me out that any service menu stuff can appear with the door closed -- and to the public. Running the second-to-last code update.

#2109 7 years ago

1.03 was the last "public code" released by Data East.
All new code is "as-is".

#2110 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Best choice+++++

Well so the 74F08 it is, thanks for your feedback guys!!

Gustavo

1 week later
#2111 7 years ago

I discovered that my VUK was missing the vertical kick cap and ordered a plunger assembly kit to replace it. The kit came with 3 compression rings (part # 270-5010-00) that I cannot figure out where they go. The drawing in the manual points to the vertical kick cap (part # 545-5227-00) for the 3 compression rings, but does not really show the compression rings in the drawing. Do they compress and go inside the lumen that accepts the top of the plunger or where do these compression rings go? If so, that would seem like it would make it a very tight fit on the plunger.

#2112 7 years ago

The three rings fit around the cup stem in order to block the slot
gap and keep the slide pin from coming out. Fit two on first.
Then assembly the up kicker assembly. lay the third ring around
the long stem insert slide pin with cup assembly and then push the
third ring around the bottom of the cup stem and trap the slide pin
in the cup assembly.

#2113 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The three rings fit around the cup stem in order to block the slot
gap and keep the slide pin from coming out. Fit two on first.
Then assembly the up kicker assembly. lay the third ring around
the long stem insert slide pin with cup assembly and then push the
third ring around the bottom of the cup stem and trap the slide pin
in the cup assembly.

Thanks. When the drawing didn't show the compression rings I thought that meant they were not visible when assembled. I never would have figured that out from the drawing.

#2114 7 years ago

Anyone know how much a Star Wars weighs ? I need it for a shipping quote and I cant find the weight anywhere

#2115 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Anyone know how much a Star Wars weighs ? I need it for a shipping quote and I cant find the weight anywhere

200-250 lbs.

#2116 7 years ago

Joining the club on Saturday. Very excited.

#2117 7 years ago

Question for those of you running the color dmd and pinsound.

The other day during a long high score game my color dmd seemed to lose track of where it was for a second until I hit the ramp and found itself. Music and sound from pinsound continued. Only happened once.

I'm running the latest code from chad as well and have the upgraded power supply.

Only other odd thing I've noticed is occasionally on first ball of a replay when shooting tie fighter there may not be any music until after ball is launched but on 99% of the games there is music before launch and then goes into theme song.

Anyone have either of these occur?

Happens very infrequently but was just strange.

#2118 7 years ago

Anyone have photos of the tilt game blades installed in Star Wars?

#2119 7 years ago

Finally!

IMG_20170307_185643 (resized).jpgIMG_20170307_185643 (resized).jpg

#2120 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Question for those of you running the color dmd and pinsound.
The other day during a long high score game my color dmd seemed to lose track of where it was for a second until I hit the ramp and found itself. Music and sound from pinsound continued. Only happened once.
I'm running the latest code from chad as well and have the upgraded power supply.
Only other odd thing I've noticed is occasionally on first ball of a replay when shooting tie fighter there may not be any music until after ball is launched but on 99% of the games there is music before launch and then goes into theme song.
Anyone have either of these occur?
Happens very infrequently but was just strange.

I had my colorDMD get stuck at the end of the cantina sequence yesterday. Didn't get back until I rebooted. Fine since. I have pinsound and newest code too.

#2121 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Anyone have photos of the tilt game blades installed in Star Wars?

http://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/star-wars-gameblades

I don't personally like them.

Tiled R2. hmm. Perhaps something more like a space battle with x-wings/tie fighters would have been better.

#2122 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

http://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/star-wars-gameblades
I don't personally like them.
Tiled R2. hmm. Perhaps something more like a space battle with x-wings/tie fighters would have been better.

There's probably only so much you can do without acquiring the license.....

#2123 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

There's probably only so much you can do without acquiring the license.....

True. R2 has a pretty iconic design though.

#2124 7 years ago

Hi, after replacing the plastics on my DE star wars, i realized im missing something! i need the bracket and fixture that attaches to the "Jabba's Bounty" plastic. Let me know if anyone has one theyd sell!

jabbas bounty (resized).jpgjabbas bounty (resized).jpg

#2125 7 years ago
Quoted from rhettkun:

i need the bracket and fixture that attaches to the "Jabba's Bounty" plastic.

It's an "L" bracket. One end was/is tube riveted to the
bottom plastic and the other end goes to "Habbas" stand up
light block.

#2126 7 years ago

Hey guys, I've been looking for a part number for the bayonet lamp holders so I can order some replacements for my desw. I've scoured the manual and can't find a part number. It's a three-lead socket with a bracket so it can hang down off the playfield. Am I over-thinking it? Anyone know or have a link? I have an order started at Marco, so ideally something I could buy there to combine shipping...

#2127 7 years ago

Also, has anyone done anything awesome with the Death Star stand up target? Decal? Paint grey?

#2128 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey guys, I've been looking for a part number for the bayonet lamp holders so I can order some replacements for my desw. I've scoured the manual and can't find a part number. It's a three-lead socket with a bracket so it can hang down off the playfield. Am I over-thinking it? Anyone know or have a link? I have an order started at Marco, so ideally something I could buy there to combine shipping...

Just look in the Marco bayonet socket area and pick one that looks like the one you are replacing. Finding a part number for sockets is not likely going to happen. Make sure you do NOT get one for a #89 (flasher) size bulb.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PFLD-LSOCKET

#2129 7 years ago

Marco has the lower playfield holders w 3 legs, but i could not find the top playfeild ones (r2d2 and DS), so used the 2 leg and put the diode in line w/ shrink tube. Mine were rusted up and replaced all of them.

#2130 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Also, has anyone done anything awesome with the Death Star stand up target? Decal? Paint grey?

I saw a nice sticker before I owned the machine, now I can't find the artwork

It was of the target computer of the x wing on the trench run

#2131 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

I saw a nice sticker before I owned the machine, now I can't find the artwork
It was of the target computer of the x wing on the trench run

I saw that on ebay but it was for the Star Wars trilogy pin. Not the right size for the Death Star.

#2132 7 years ago

I painted mine to look like the DS gate/door that
is used in the DMD.

#2133 7 years ago

Well the adventure continues, it seems this chip is bad ef6821P, is there any replacement and where?? Thanks.

Gustavo

IMG_0255 (resized).JPGIMG_0255 (resized).JPG

#2134 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I painted mine to look like the DS gate/door that
is used in the DMD.

I'd love to see a pic!

#2135 7 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Well the adventure continues, it seems this chip is bad ef6821P, is there any replacement and where?? Thanks.
Gustavo

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/6821

This topic has some more resources

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-last-action-hero-caps

#2136 7 years ago

Thanks Dragon36,

It seems Marcos is more easy to order.

Gustavo

#2137 7 years ago

Some Free vector Decal options I made for the Death Star and for the targets

let me know if you like it and i will upload more sometime

Star Wars Data East Target decals.pdfStar Wars Data East Target decals.pdf

#2138 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Thanks for sharing these!

#2139 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thanks for sharing these!

Stay on target

#2140 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Much appreciated!! Any ideas on getting these printed and applied? I've never tried that...

#2141 7 years ago

Print them on 200 gsm board on any good printer then buy contact laminate (which is like a huge sheet of clear tape basically), and put that on top, get some double sided tape on the back then stick it on the target once you have cleaned the target.

A print shop will print it on a sticker vinyl and can put a laminate over the print, thi slooks the best but costs the most ( then again these are small and wont cost much)

#2142 7 years ago

I have a question about the ball launcher. We all know that when you hear "Death Star approaching", you can "shift" it down and press the "fire" button to open the DS target for a short period of time. Does anyone know ​the benefit(s) of leaving it in the up position?

#2143 7 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I have a question about the ball launcher. We all know that when you hear "Death Star approaching", you can "shift" it down and press the "fire" button to open the DS target for a short period of time. Does anyone know ​the benefit(s) of leaving it in the up position?

When you push the shifter button, you get a 5M bonus (or maybe 10M?) and only have several seconds to shoot the Deathstar to start multiball. If you don't make the shot in time, the deathstar closes and you need to start over with Deathstar shots to enable multiball again (moon progress).

If you keep shooting the Deathstar until it opens without using the shifter (another 2 or 3 hits), it will stay open until you start multiball, even through to the next ball.

If you have progressed to the point that you can use the shifter to open the Deathstar, a point scoring opportunity is to quickly press the shifter once you drain your last ball. If you can get it before the drain registers, you earn the bonus 5M (or is it 10M?).

#2144 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

When you push the shifter button, you get a 5M bonus (or maybe 10M?) and only have several seconds to shoot the Deathstar to start multiball. If you don't make the shot in time, the deathstar closes and you need to start over with Deathstar shots to enable multiball again (moon progress).
If you keep shooting the Deathstar until it opens without using the shifter (another 2 or 3 hits), it will stay open until you start multiball, even through to the next ball.
If you have progressed to the point that you can use the shifter to open the Deathstar, a point scoring opportunity is to quickly press the shifter once you drain your last ball. If you can get it before the drain registers, you earn the bonus 5M (or is it 10M?).

Yeah, I already knew all of that. What I'm ​asking is: What does the shifter (ball launcher) do when it is in the up position? In order to open the DS before acquiring all of the moons, you wait until you hear "DS approaching" and with the shifter in the down position, you hit the fire button. Are there any advantages to ever having the shifter in the up position?

#2145 7 years ago

None that I know of.

#2146 7 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Does anyone know ​the benefit(s) of leaving it in the up position?

There are no benefits. Data East had to scrap a lot
of stuff, the game was supposed to do.
Do to Williams filing a lawsuit against them.

#2147 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

There are no benefits. Data East had to scrap a lot
of stuff, the game was supposed to do.
Do to Williams filing a lawsuit against them.

The shifter was originally used to also control a video mode that was unfortunately scrapped. I posted a video of what it looked like earlier in this thread.

#2148 7 years ago

So I have to clear something up. I was the guy who LEDed his desw only to have the lamp matrix go crazy. Well, I replaced everything with cointaker non-ghosting premium as many suggested. It definitely helped but there was some faint ghosting still. So, at the advice of another pinsider, I looked at the lamp sockets checking for reversed diodes or bad wiring. Indeed, Jabba scoop was wired all wrong. I rewired it and put in a new diode. Sure enough, zero ghosting.

So, lesson is that good non-ghosting lamps can cover some ghosting, but fix the underlying problem to knock it completely out.

I recently acquired another desw with all leds and a major ghosting problem. I'm going to start looking into the diodes and wiring before spending more money on leds

#2149 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The shifter was originally used to also control a video mode that was unfortunately scrapped. I posted a video of what it looked like earlier in this thread.

I'm sure you already answered this, but why couldn't this be added to the updated roms?

#2150 7 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I'm sure you already answered this, but why couldn't this be added to the updated roms?

You not only have to rewrite ROMs but also rewire
the cabinet and reprogram the DMD software.
If you are smart, go for it! learn assembly language.
Don't be lazy, until one gets into the man hours,
one will never know or appreciate the "blood sweat and tears"
that goes into a project like reprograming a pinball.
It is a thankless job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.