(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,740 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by jgadzia
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 95.
#1701 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Anyone replaced the Death Star target switch lately with one of these? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5630-00
Seems to be 3D printed. For me anyways it appears a shade too high, it is binding against the top of the sliding target assembly. Guess I'll try to sand a bit off the top so it doesn't jam.

I got mine from PBL as well and haven't had any issues.

#1702 8 years ago

I think that's one of the two brackets that hold the upper backboard plastic that mounts to the inside of the cabinet. Do you have an identical one laying around as well?

#1703 8 years ago

Just joined the club. Now I have to get it operational. Game turns on but freezes

#1704 8 years ago

What is a reasonable price for one of these with some broken plastics but working R2 and Deathstar??

#1705 8 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

I think that's one of the two brackets that hold the upper backboard plastic that mounts to the inside of the cabinet. Do you have an identical one laying around as well?

Only have the one. It has a bushing on the top of it, that really does look like the death star shaft, or a similar shaft went through it. But, it is definitely not for the death star.

#1706 8 years ago
Quoted from Oiler2112:

Only have the one. It has a bushing on the top of it, that really does look like the death star shaft, or a similar shaft went through it. But, it is definitely not for the death star.

I looked all over my machine, I don't see that piece!

#1707 8 years ago

I checked all my old teardown pictures and never found that piece used anywhere.

#1708 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

What is a reasonable price for one of these with some broken plastics but working R2 and Deathstar??

$2300-$2600 would be my guess.

#1709 8 years ago

Anybody have a desw they want to sell? I have a friend looking hard for one.

#1710 8 years ago
Quoted from Oiler2112:

I looked through mine last night and could not find it, dang thought I might make my first meaningful contribution to pinside, I guess I'll just keep dreaming.

#1711 8 years ago
Quoted from netcivil:

I looked through mine last night and could not find it, dang thought I might make my first meaningful contribution to pinside, I guess I'll just keep dreaming.

Thanks for everyones help! I am going to assume, it does not go to this pin, although this is the only pin my friend has. It shall remain a mystery

#1712 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

They seem to have gone up in price recently. Check the marketplace archives, there are some data points there.

#1713 8 years ago

RD & Korn
Here's the pictures of my backbox GI lighting. There's two sets of wires for the lighting - Wh/Purple and purple, and Wh/Green and green. These pairs go to a "Z" connector between the power board and the lights. My problem was with the IDT connectors had bad wire to pin contact. When I wiggled one of the wires for the pair that fed the backlights that were not illuminated, I could get the lights to illuminate. Since I wasn't for sure which side of the Z connector had the issue, I replaced both of the connectors feeding the Z connector.

When I said to clip the lead, I was referring to clipping the alligator clip to the wire. (I have alligator clips for my meter.) I just worked my way from the backboard lights to the connector. When I had power on one side of the Z connector but not on the other, I knew that's where the problem was.

If this isn't clear, PM me and we can talk.

By any chance can someone send me pictures of the wiring to the death star switches under the death star? I want to know for sure which color wires go to which connection on the switches and the orientation of the diodes on the switches. My switch assembly only has two switches, no diodes, and I can't find which wires go to which side of the switches.

DSCN1997_(resized).JPGDSCN1997_(resized).JPG

DSCN1999_(resized).JPGDSCN1999_(resized).JPG

DSCN2000_(resized).JPGDSCN2000_(resized).JPG

DSCN2001_(resized).JPGDSCN2001_(resized).JPG

#1714 8 years ago

@Oiler Looks like a custom part.. does not look factory to me.

2 weeks later
#1715 7 years ago

May The Fourth Be With You!

Here's something to celebrate...

Check this out:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

#1716 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Check this out:

Awesome news! Thanks Chad!!

#1717 7 years ago

Fantastic news! Love it!

#1718 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Check this out:

Thanks Chad! I'd love to hear a little summary of how you go about this ROM hacking in terms of tooling etc. I am a programmer but not too low level nowadays.

In case you didn't catch it, Chad has released a new version of the updated Star Wars ROMs! Now I need to find someone to burn me a set of these.

I am working on a little project myself, a replacement R2-D2 shell. Mine has his left arm cut off! I have 3D-printed a new set of arms, next step is cutting and forming a new shell. I'll post the results when it is done.

#1719 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Check this out:

You are awesome my friend. Thank you!!

#1720 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Check this out:

Fantastic Work.

Thank you for you sterling effort

#1722 7 years ago

I'm curious to know what you think of the updated Skill Shot?

#1723 7 years ago

This is awesome. Gotta get this patch ASAP

#1724 7 years ago

Awesome work Chad. Notes look great!!!

Anyone with a burner doing these yet for the group? Happy to pay for the trouble.

Also, was the light bug on "Jackpot" the end of ball sequence fixed? I didn't see it in the notes.

#1725 7 years ago

FYI. CPR now has full plastic sets for sale. =)

http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-plastics.html

#1726 7 years ago

Nice! I just shopped my DESW....some of these plastics require riveting or bending so not straightforward to replace everything. CPR set would have been nicer than the non silk screened ones I had.

I wonder whether a new playfield is coming?

#1727 7 years ago

Just swapped out the playfield in mine, with a restored one. Looks Great! Offering up my old playfield here. It is actually in pretty decent condition, normal wear at the outholes and a couple of raised inserts that could easily be leveled. If you have a beatup playfield this would be a great replacement, or you could send it off to be restored.

I paid $700 plus the cost of restoration for my new playfield, so was thinking $600 was a fair price for this one.

If you have any questions, or interest, let me know.

IMG_3074.JPGIMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPGIMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPGIMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPGIMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPGIMG_3078.JPG

#1728 7 years ago

Show us the restored one, too!

#1729 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

RD & Korn
Here's the pictures of my backbox GI lighting. There's two sets of wires for the lighting - Wh/Purple and purple, and Wh/Green and green. These pairs go to a "Z" connector between the power board and the lights. My problem was with the IDT connectors had bad wire to pin contact. When I wiggled one of the wires for the pair that fed the backlights that were not illuminated, I could get the lights to illuminate. Since I wasn't for sure which side of the Z connector had the issue, I replaced both of the connectors feeding the Z connector.
When I said to clip the lead, I was referring to clipping the alligator clip to the wire. (I have alligator clips for my meter.) I just worked my way from the backboard lights to the connector. When I had power on one side of the Z connector but not on the other, I knew that's where the problem was.
If this isn't clear, PM me and we can talk.
By any chance can someone send me pictures of the wiring to the death star switches under the death star? I want to know for sure which color wires go to which connection on the switches and the orientation of the diodes on the switches. My switch assembly only has two switches, no diodes, and I can't find which wires go to which side of the switches.

Thanks! Sorry, I just saw your post! Ty!!!

#1730 7 years ago

My issue turned out to be just a blown fuse...

#1731 7 years ago

Anybody can tell me where to find or tell me the size L,W and thread size of the spacers for the plastics that go in the Death Star entrance? Thanks!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#1732 7 years ago

I would really like to join the DESW club. Anyone with "The Shadow" on their wishlist interested in trading their DESW in comparable condition??

Virtually no Sanctum wear and protected with mylar
Aurich translite and speaker panel
Complete LEDs
New plastics
New speakers
New rubber
All Rings and Mongols present

Photos here: http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/bos98/library/The%20Shadow

More available by request. PM me if interested

I am in the Cleveland area.

Thanks!

#1733 7 years ago

Howdy gang,
I just bought a Data East Star Wars a few weeks ago. Sorry, it took so long to even find this forum. Everything has been great and I have been playing it nonstop everyday, until....

My playfield lights have gone out. The GI lights and flashers, the game play and scoring appears to be fine. I have checked all the connections and fuses I could find.
Is there any specific place I should be looking. I am an extreme pinball repair novice. Therefore, pictures and dumbed down advice would be very helpful.

I am so digging this pin and it has been the perfect bridge between my Pinball and SciFi obsessions.

Thanks,
John

20160508_121850_(resized).jpg20160508_121850_(resized).jpg

#1734 7 years ago

DE Star Wars Death Star Help Needed

Can someone post pictures of the wiring going to the bar motor switches? I need to figure out which wires go on which switch terminals and the orientation of the diodes. Thanks

#1735 7 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

Howdy gang,
I just bought a Data East Star Wars a few weeks ago. Sorry, it took so long to even find this forum. Everything has been great and I have been playing it nonstop everyday, until....
My playfield lights have gone out. The GI lights and flashers, the game play and scoring appears to be fine. I have checked all the connections and fuses I could find.
Is there any specific place I should be looking. I am an extreme pinball repair novice. Therefore, pictures and dumbed down advice would be very helpful.
I am so digging this pin and it has been the perfect bridge between my Pinball and SciFi obsessions.
Thanks,
John

I recently had a GI issue where half of the GI was not working. It turned out to be a fuse. But several connectors in the power supply and the bottom of the cabinet near the trasnformer where toasted. I had to change those out. As far as the flasher go, it could be something else. Post pictures of your power supply and your ppb board and the trasnformer area

#1736 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I recently had a GI issue where half of the GI was not working. It turned out to be a fuse. But several connectors in the power supply and the bottom of the cabinet near the trasnformer where toasted. I had to change those out. As far as the flasher go, it could be something else. Post pictures of your power supply and your ppb board and the trasnformer area

Thanks you.
My GI and Flashers are fine.

Fortunately, II had a buddy stopped by, with a better meter. He found that the fuse just above the big capacitor was bad, eventhough it was not visibly blown.

Thank you

14644758755801443967124_(resized).jpg14644758755801443967124_(resized).jpg

#1737 7 years ago

I just noticed this topic posted on this thread (about a year after the fact), but I figured I would post now.

I was looking through the thread mainly because I have never seen anyone post any pics of a Speaker Light Kit on a DE: Star Wars. Pretty strange since I have seen them posted for Tommy, WWFRR, TFTC, JP and LAH. These games all have the same speaker panel type.

The question posed in the year old post was about how the light kits would look behind the Death Star painted grills. The answer is...they will look just like a Speaker Light Kit mounted behind a plain speaker grill. The light being behind the painted grills makes it so you can't see the painted design on them for the most part. The way you should mount a light kit for it to look good (in my opinion) with painted grills is to mount the light frame IN FRONT of the painted grills. This looks very good in most cases. I have attached a couple of pics to show this on a Last Action Hero. You will notice with the picture of the light frames behind the grills...you can't see the ticket design at all. When the light kit is placed in front of the grills it lights the painted design up nicely. Some speaker light kits made by others can not be mounted in this way...so you are stuck with mounting the lights behind the painted grills and losing their painted designs.

The post was also discussing using the Speaker Light Kits with upgraded speakers that have extended tweeters. This is not a problem with my Speaker Light Kits. They will work fine with the Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speakers that have the spacer rings attached to the front of them (and the hardware needed in this case is included with my Speaker Light Kits). Again...this is not the case with the other guy's speaker light kits. My Speaker Light Kits will also work with other upgraded speakers and spacers as long as they are 5/8" thick. If they vary much thicker or thinner than that you will have to get different hardware with the length depending on how thick the speaker spacer you use is.

My light kits also keep the lights away from the edge of the speaker holes so they are not blinding or in direct view. It doesn't look like a light ring showing back in the speaker hole. It is a lit up area behind the panel. The light strips come out of the corner of the light frame so there are no dead spot gaps where the lights run into the lighted area on one of the sides.

A bit late, but I hope this answers the questions,

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Speaker_Light_Kit_with_upgraded_speaker_in_JP_style_speaker_panel_(resized).JPGSpeaker_Light_Kit_with_upgraded_speaker_in_JP_style_speaker_panel_(resized).JPG

02_grills_behind_light_frames_(resized).jpg02_grills_behind_light_frames_(resized).jpg

01_grills_in_front_of_light_frames_(resized).jpg01_grills_in_front_of_light_frames_(resized).jpg

#1738 7 years ago
Quoted from Greenman74:

Thanks you.
My GI and Flashers are fine.
Fortunately, II had a buddy stopped by, with a better meter. He found that the fuse just above the big capacitor was bad, eventhough it was not visibly blown.
Thank you

Good to hear!

#1739 7 years ago

Hey all.... I too am a new member..... Spent the last few weeks reading through all the old posts.... Some great info and mad skills out there.

I got my machine in about 97 and had it all that time.... I must say that it must have had a tough life in the first few years....

I have got all inspired to sort it out and get it up to reasonable condition again.
Have replaced pop bumper caps... Got R2-D2's head spinning, new topper, replaces heaps of bulbs,

Currently trying to sort out a GI issue...
Then I have a new set of rubbers, flipper rebuild, new bats a new set of x-wing targets (top ones),cliffy's
And a good clean to go.

Wish me luck.

Will pos a pic or two once done.

#1740 7 years ago
Quoted from Drumrolls:

Hey all.... I too am a new member..... Spent the last few weeks reading through all the old posts.... Some great info and mad skills out there.
I got my machine in about 97 and had it all that time.... I must say that it must have had a tough life in the first few years....
I have got all inspired to sort it out and get it up to reasonable condition again.
Have replaced pop bumper caps... Got R2-D2's head spinning, new topper, replaces heaps of bulbs,
Currently trying to sort out a GI issue...
Then I have a new set of rubbers, flipper rebuild, new bats a new set of x-wing targets (top ones),cliffy's
And a good clean to go.
Wish me luck.
Will pos a pic or two once done.

GI issue might be a burnt connector or a blown fuse

#1741 7 years ago

Yeah... That's what I figure... Putting new pins and connectors in as a few looking a bit toasty.... Also although fuses all ok a couple of dodgy fuse clips so are awaiting some replacements.....

#1742 7 years ago

They look better that way. I tried them both ways in mine.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1743 7 years ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

Can you take a pic with the back glass off? I love your coloring and would like to see your LED layout!

#1744 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I just noticed this topic posted on this thread (about a year after the fact), but I figured I would post now.
I was looking through the thread mainly because I have never seen anyone post any pics of a Speaker Light Kit on a DE: Star Wars. Pretty strange since I have seen them posted for Tommy, WWFRR, TFTC, JP and LAH. These games all have the same speaker panel type.
The question posed in the year old post was about how the light kits would look behind the Death Star painted grills. The answer is...they will look just like a Speaker Light Kit mounted behind a plain speaker grill. The light being behind the painted grills makes it so you can't see the painted design on them for the most part. The way you should mount a light kit for it to look good (in my opinion) with painted grills is to mount the light frame IN FRONT of the painted grills. This looks very good in most cases. I have attached a couple of pics to show this on a Last Action Hero. You will notice with the picture of the light frames behind the grills...you can't see the ticket design at all. When the light kit is placed in front of the grills it lights the painted design up nicely. Some speaker light kits made by others can not be mounted in this way...so you are stuck with mounting the lights behind the painted grills and losing their painted designs.
The post was also discussing using the Speaker Light Kits with upgraded speakers that have extended tweeters. This is not a problem with my Speaker Light Kits. They will work fine with the Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speakers that have the spacer rings attached to the front of them (and the hardware needed in this case is included with my Speaker Light Kits). Again...this is not the case with the other guy's speaker light kits. My Speaker Light Kits will also work with other upgraded speakers and spacers as long as they are 5/8" thick. If they vary much thicker or thinner than that you will have to get different hardware with the length depending on how thick the speaker spacer you use is.
My light kits also keep the lights away from the edge of the speaker holes so they are not blinding or in direct view. It doesn't look like a light ring showing back in the speaker hole. It is a lit up area behind the panel. The light strips come out of the corner of the light frame so there are no dead spot gaps where the lights run into the lighted area on one of the sides.
A bit late, but I hope this answers the questions,
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

How much and would they work in a Roadshow. (No longer in the DESW club)

#1745 7 years ago
Quoted from Jtm3:

Probably the best I've seen. However it always pisses me off when people use a green led behind Yoda, he's just not that green. A warm white or even a cool white works for me. That said, I would love to know your recipe!

#1746 7 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

How much and would they work in a Roadshow. (No longer in the DESW club)

I don't sell them for Bally / Williams games...others do. Bally / Williams games have one small speaker hole and one large speaker hole. That's a visual issue that I have yet to see overcome without major speaker panel modifications or making a new speaker panel.

#1747 7 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Probably the best I've seen. However it always pisses me off when people use a green led behind Yoda, he's just not that green. A warm white or even a cool white works for me. That said, I would love to know your recipe!

I'm with you there. The green light behind Yoda always looks off. I'm not sure if it is the color of the green or the brightness of it. I've also thought it might be because some of the green always bleeds off around him.

The purple Death Star and dark blue Vader look really nice.

#1748 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I used Cointakers frosted except for the tie-fighter, Pinball Life red. The Cointakers were too bright there.

2 weeks later
#1749 7 years ago
Quoted from Weed_of_Crime:

Just applied this baby thanks to a member here. Looks like it belongs

Yes it does. Looks really good. Where did you get that?

#1750 7 years ago

It been a long wait for my purchase of a restored SWDE to begin.

Here is the playfield awaiting restoration
SW_1_(resized).jpgSW_1_(resized).jpg

Playfield being worked on
SW_2_(resized).jpgSW_2_(resized).jpg

Playfield after repairs and art touch ups
SW_3_(resized).jpgSW_3_(resized).jpg

Playfield awaiting final clear coats
SW_4_(resized).jpgSW_4_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/35?hl=surfajl77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.